Damage to top layer of driver head

jordan2240 ·  
jordan2240jordan2240  40WRX Points: 18Handicap: 20Members Posts: 40 Bunkers

Took my new driver to the range, and in the process of testing it with different adjustments, I hit a ball way too high on the face, and a large chip came off the top layer of the club. I can live with the damage, but my main concern is whether or not such damage will affect club functionality. I stopped using it immediately because I wasn't sure if anything else might start flying off it. I've attached an image for clarification. Also, any suggestions on repair? I'm actually waiting to see if Wilson will replace the club under warranty, but in case they don't... Thanks in advance for any responses.

Posted:

Comments

• BrianMcGBrianMcG  2377WRX Points: 663Members Posts: 2,377 Platinum Tees

I bet it would. It may not support the face well and you may lose some COR.

Does it make a funny sound when you hit it now?

Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British Columbia 257WRX Points: 267Handicap: 13Members Posts: 257 Greens

Darn I hate that vulnerable area!
    My current G400 is immune to 1-wedge pop up blasts, thank goodness!
    My old Titleist 915 was not so heavily armoured and showed similar (but less severe than above) damage resulting from one of my sh**ty downward arm-swings within a week of me buying it.
    I think you'll be okay performance wise but it just sucks when your new bomber has taken some flak damage. Just like a ding in the door of a brand new ride...kinda instantly lessens your love of the thing.

Posted:

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & SM7 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood
    Currently suffering Off Seasonal Golf Deficiency Disorder

• evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou  2013WRX Points: 163Members Posts: 2,013 Platinum Tees

That has to get repainted to restore her to her original glory. I would call up Continental Golf. Justin and the boys over there will take care of you they have done several drivers, fairways, and putters for me and I am always impressed.

Posted:

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX919F 4-9iron Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX919T PW Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• halliedoghalliedog  2494WRX Points: 311Handicap: 5.2Members Posts: 2,494 Platinum Tees

From the photo attached looks like you also keep it in the bag without a headcover? From the scratching going on behind and to the left of the huge ding looks like it has been rubbing against your other clubs? That big ding could be a result of a scratch caused by that that then "blew apart" when you had the high face/crown contact.

Posted:
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • jordan2240jordan2240  40WRX Points: 18Handicap: 20Members Posts: 40 Bunkers

Hmm, not sure why I can't reply to individual comments separately:

BianMcG - I haven't hit it since the damage because I was afraid to damage it further, and wasn't sure if it would flake up and whack me in the eye.

halliedog - Yes, it was in the bag without a headcover, but it had only been in there for the 15-minute trip from my house to the driving range since it was brand new, and I generally have my driver positioned so it stick up above all the other clubs. The club was purchased from globalgolf in 'mint' condition, and I didn't notice any such marks on it when I got it. So much damage in so little time makes me wonder if it isn't defective.

evov - The club only cost me $70, so probably not worth getting professionally fixed, but appreciate the suggestion.

Edward - this is the first time I sustained such damage on a driver, but yeah, made me just want to toss it in the trash, which at $70, I might just do if Wilson doesn't send me a new head.

Posted:
  • 86020818602081  2038WRX Points: 216Members Posts: 2,038 Platinum Tees

Ouch, never seen that before..

Bondo should take care of that..

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • VNutzVNutz  6601WRX Points: 581Members Posts: 6,601 Titanium Tees

Looks to be the FG tour 5 right? Might be tough getting a replacement seeing as how it's a few years old and technically they could say it's no longer under warranty.

Posted:
  • jordan2240jordan2240  40WRX Points: 18Handicap: 20Members Posts: 40 Bunkers

VNutz - nice eye. Perhaps I'll try the 'bondo' that 86 suggests if they won't replace it. Or perhaps I'll just have to chalk it up to more money wasted on golf equipment. Wasn't the first, and won't be the last no doubt.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.