Members who have switched from AP2's

Kjboisen

Looking to upgrade my set after playing the 714's w KBS Tour shafts since they were released. I have very little complaints about how they have performed for me and they have done the job. I am playing from scratch and my 2nd set of clubs from before my 714s are Nike VR Pros so I am open minded to any suggestions. I have not hit a lot of new irons from the past 2 years, and I am close to scheduling a fitting for the new irons soon. Problem is, I dont want to spend too long getting tired hitting all the new stuff. Anyone who has transitioned from their AP2s for it being either look preferences or just performance (I understand performance is subjective) please list some suggestions of something you found that caught your attention and has been treating you well... any small details that were the difference for you id appreciate if was explained. More detail the better!

Give me your personal Top 3-5 for those who have been testing recently and have had decent amount of shots hit per-club manufacturer.

My Top 3 of INTEREST are:

1) Mizuno JPX 919 Tours... might be a rebel and keep my current AP2's in the 5iron and 4iron for dependability purposes (who ever really scores with their 4iron) and just make the changes necessary for new gapping/flight requirements

2) Wilson Staff FG Tours or Model Blades

3) Pings. Any pings. Could care less if they are shovels or blades I have always enjoyed them.

I have no bias... shoot me some suggestions! I have some decisions to make, and am even more interested in what different shafts will do for me, my irons the only part of my bag ive never received a thorough fitting for!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gamed 712 AP2 for a few years and really enjoyed them. I "upgraded" to the 716 AP2 and just did not get along with them. It put into play a serious club ho cycle that involved Apex 16, Apex Pro 16, and Ping i200. I gamed the i200 for about a year before switching back to 718 AP2.

The things I did enjoy about the Pings:

-Soft feel for a cast club.

-More forgiveness in long and mid irons.

-Good looks. I do believe the HydroPearl finish is actually effective as well as durable and good looking.

The only truly negative thing I had was the slightly stronger lofts and distances I was getting. For me the hallmark of players irons is consitent distances. Nuking a well struck shot over the green became a bit too common with me while dating the Pings. I am 100% sure my game could adjust; however my eyes wandered back to what's comfortable and went back to AP2.

I do think the current version of AP2 is their best yet. They do a very good job of balancing feel, looks, forgiveness, and consistency. They do not do one thing the best, but they don't do anything the worst.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I bagged the i200 for most of last summer. They were deadly accurate and felt "soft" (though it was not the same kind of soft as a forged club and was too muted to get good strike feedback). IMO the i200 is better than the i210. The iBlade is an option as it's plenty forgiving at your skill level though they do spin quite high so depending on your swing you may need to get a lower spin shaft setup. That said, if you like the AP2 with KBS that's about as high spin as it gets. My only real complaint with the AP2 is the PW. I really don't like it for some reason and that goes for 714, 716, and 718. I'll be switching to a Vokey 46 when I find a cheap one. I'd like to move to a combo set. There's a set of 716 near me with a TMB 4, 5-7 CB, and 8-PW MB for $450 that I might pick up to have a go with. In the short irons I really don't need the help and I don't find the CB much less forgiving than the AP2. Also considering going a full set of blades - we'll see! As for what to try I'd go for the 718/716 CB, Srixon ZForged, 919 Tour, or maybe some older MP. I don't like the MP18 and think the MP5 would be a good option for a blade. Ping iBlade looks good and I also like the look of the Cally XForged or Apex MB.

Ping iBlades are great clubs. I always end up going back to them. Pretty similar style to the AP2. I looked at the i200's at the time (I imagine the i210 isn't too different) and they just had too much offset in the long irons for my liking. iBlades stack up with the the best of them though.

I imagine at some point they will release the blueprints to the public as well which a decent amount of the pro guys are playing. I can't imagine they are THAT demanding since they are Pings.

I switched from 714 AP2 after nearly 6 years to Mizuno MP-18 SC. Sold them within days and bought 718 AP2. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don’t hit the 718 AP2. They feel completely different than than the 714 in a good way.

King F9 9* HZDRS Smoke 6.0
Rogue 3W Evenflow Blue
Rogue 5W Evenflow Blue
714 AP2 4-W
MD4 52*
MD4 56*
MD4 60*
Odyssey O-Works #1 Black

If you're going from the 714's I would definitely try out the 718's. That would be the logical choice to go with and I think they are so much better than any of the previous models. I've done a lot of testing this year on the new sets and really like the JPX 919 Tours and then TM p760s after that. Don't like the MP 18 sets at all. Haven't tried out the new Callaway and not a fan of Ping. Did not like the Srixon models at all after hitting these other irons but a lot of people seem to enjoy those.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> If you're going from the 714's I would definitely try out the 718's. That would be the logical choice to go with and I think they are so much better than any of the previous models. I've done a lot of testing this year on the new sets and really like the JPX 919 Tours and then TM p760s after that. Don't like the MP 18 sets at all. Haven't tried out the new Callaway and not a fan of Ping. Did not like the Srixon models at all after hitting these other irons but a lot of people seem to enjoy those.

I think you have to be very high spin with your irons to enjoy the Srixons. Only irons I'm interested in now are CB/MB combo or MP5 or MP4. I love Mizzy blades.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > If you're going from the 714's I would definitely try out the 718's. That would be the logical choice to go with and I think they are so much better than any of the previous models. I've done a lot of testing this year on the new sets and really like the JPX 919 Tours and then TM p760s after that. Don't like the MP 18 sets at all. Haven't tried out the new Callaway and not a fan of Ping. Did not like the Srixon models at all after hitting these other irons but a lot of people seem to enjoy those.

>

> I think you have to be very high spin with your irons to enjoy the Srixons. Only irons I'm interested in now are CB/MB combo or MP5 or MP4. I love Mizzy blades.

I'm a higher spin player (hence the 130x c-tapers) but really just did not like the feel of the Srixon after hitting the AP2s, JPX 919 tour, TM p760, and whatever Callaway had out last year. They looked good at address though.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

I also went from 712 ap2's to Iblades both with dg s300. Similar design with tungsten in the toe.

Perform/feel is similar with the iblades going a bit farther since the lofts are a 1 degree stronger.

My only concern with the iblades is high spin with the long-mid irons (7000+ rpm with the 5iron).

So I have been doing 4-6 ap2, 7-pw iblades and it works well.

I'm scheming to do 5-7 g410 irons 1/4 long (which should be close to a normal 4-6) but in my local demo day the ping rep had almost no selection of iron shafts to try.

I went from 714 ap2 to ping ie1 .....so, much more forgiving and super easy to hit. I had no problem gaming the AP2, but these pings swing themselves. Slightly less workability, but that's it.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

> @sgersten19 said:

> I also went from 712 ap2's to Iblades both with dg s300. Similar design with tungsten in the toe.

> Perform/feel is similar with the iblades going a bit farther since the lofts are a 1 degree stronger.

> My only concern with the iblades is high spin with the long-mid irons (7000+ rpm with the 5iron).

> So I have been doing 4-6 ap2, 7-pw iblades and it works well.

> I'm scheming to do 5-7 g410 irons 1/4 long (which should be close to a normal 4-6) but in my local demo day the ping rep had almost no selection of iron shafts to try.

>

yeah I am pretty excited for my fitting. Ive been fit for everything in my bag except my irons since they were bought when I first started taking up the game and putting time into it. Just wish I was aware of the benefits of a fitting beforehand, I had simply ordered the same irons that my swing instructor had played

Went from 716 AP2s last year to the JPX 900 Forged. The JPXs lasted all of a two months before I moved to 718 AP2s and have not looked back. My scores and iron play immediately improved. The 718s are the real deal. So much better and different than previous models. Titleist will definitely have a hard task on improving on the 718s.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

As much as I have lusted for the MP18 SC’s, today I saw them reduced to $699.

I almost picked up a set, then thought about how one bad round would probably push me back to my Titleist’s, and decided to save the money.

I am a recovered club ho of almost 40 years, and I picked up the first set of 718’s the first day they came in to Edwin Watts locally.

If you hit them, you will keep them.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

718 AP2, MP18 line (not a huge fan of the JPX line personally), Apex Pro (especially the dot irons). Can go iBlade also. I think those are your picks.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

I've owned a bunch of the AP2 models, including the original, the 710, 712, 716, and now 718. I've also owned a bunch of other sets during that same period of time. I have to say that Titleist knocked it out of the park with the 718s. The feel and performance is a major upgrade from the 716s, IMO. Hard to find any fault in these.

That said, I have a set of z785s on the way for a death match. Anxious to bag the winner.

I just moved from a mostly Titleist bag to a mostly Taylormade bag ... replacing my trusty 714 AP2's with P760's. Fingers crossed.

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

SIM2 Rescue 4 22° Nippon GOST X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"

Started in a similar spot to the OP. I played the 714 AP2s for two season and I got along with them fine. I moved to the i200s and liked those as well. I moved to the 718 AP2s for the 2018 summer and gamed a set of Mizuno MP18 SCs for a few rounds in the fall. This year, I’m gaming the i210s. I would agree with the other mentions that the 718 is the best Titleist have made. Ultimately, I feel like Ping clubs tend to work a touch better for me.

I really like the updates Ping made to the i210s. It’s nothing earth shattering, but the look is more refined. I ordered mine with KBS Tours and the Cushin insert. I have to say that these feel as good as anything else I’ve hit. Some other sticks I’ve hit and really enjoyed are: Taylormade 760s (I’ve never gamed a Taylormade iron, ever, and these almost made it in my bag), Srixon 785 (these were too low spin for me and seemed to go forever), Cobra CB/MB combo set (these felt phenomenal but I feared what I would do with them in bad days).

Ultimately, every major brand is making top quality clubs, so you’ll find great sticks through the process. A few things to remember - I believe the rumor is Ping is set to release the Blueprint iron in June. Titleist will likely have a 720 lineup next year so you’ll be a model behind within a year. That doesn’t really matter to me but some people hate that.

Good luck!

Hated every AP2 except for 712...

Love the 718 with all my heart. Keep replacing my T-MB short irons with them one by one.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I went from one of the earlier models of AP2’s to the Mizuno MP68’s, the thinner soles just worked better for me.

I’d be looking to hit as many irons as possible to determine what works for you, worth a mention would be Callaway MB’s, Mizuno 910 Tour, Cobra MB’s, Wilson Staff new blade model, Titleist MB’s and CB’s, Srixon Z-forged and if possible anything that fits your eye from Miura!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

For an ap2 player consider: 716/718 ap2 or even CB.; p760/p770/p790 TM; ping S55 (my favorite in comparison to ap2); i210; i500, callaway apex 18 and PXG 0311T. I think all of these would be an easy transition for you considering your current iron. Everything else (even some of the ones listed) have different key attributes than ap2. For example tungsten weight or lack of, forged components or full club, sole width and Bounce, and bal flights.

> @BCULAW said:

> I've owned a bunch of the AP2 models, including the original, the 710, 712, 716, and now 718. I've also owned a bunch of other sets during that same period of time. I have to say that Titleist knocked it out of the park with the 718s. The feel and performance is a major upgrade from the 716s, IMO. Hard to find any fault in these.

>

> That said, I have a set of z785s on the way for a death match. Anxious to bag the winner.

I’m in a similar situation. Went 712’s to s55’s to 714’s. Honestly didn’t give the s55’s a fair shake at all... took em on a trade and the shaft wasn’t a match for me. I’ve been itching to replace the 714’s for a while now. I’ve had a love/hate relationship w/ them since day 1.

REALLY wanted a set of i210’s, but got impatient waiting for the right set, and ended up picking up a set of z785’s. They are literally in the mail now, and I cannot wait to try them.

Driver - Callaway AI Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 (Ventus TR Blue)
3w - Titleist Tsr2 (Venus TR Blue)
7w - Callaway Apex UW (HZRDUS RDX Smoke)

4 & 5 - Srixon zx5 mkii (Modus 120)

6-PW - Srixon zx7 mkii (Modus 120)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 51*F / 55*D / 60*M
Putter - L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max (ACCRA x)

Ball - Titleist Pro V1x