Proper hat with old school shoes and cardigan?

Chachi2 ·  
Chachi2Chachi2  1871WRX Points: 1,283Handicap: 69Members Posts: 1,871 Platinum Tees
Joined:  edited Apr 18, 2019 in Golf Style and Accessories #1

I recently picked up some sweet two-tone Allen Edmonds golf brogues to wear this year (photo below). I plan on pairing them with a cardigan on cooler days and am unsure of what hat to wear. I typically wear baseball-style hats but they seem incongruent with the old school shoes and cardigan.

I know wearing no hat at all would be normal for a 1950's-60's look but I really need the eye shade. I could wear a Ben Hogan newsboy style hat but I'm not a huge fan of them when they're actually on my head. In other words, sounds good in theory but looks odd in practice.

Any other hat styles I could consider? Or should I just wear a white baseball-style hat and call it good?!

Edit - I'm not a fan of bucket hats or Sam Snead hats either.

Posted:
Post edited by Chachi2 on

Comments

• BrianMcGBrianMcG  2377WRX Points: 663Members Posts: 2,377 Platinum Tees

I would say either the Hogan hat or nothing. Don't know of any other kind for the golf course. Not really sure a Snead or Norman hat would look good on anyone but them.

Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Chachi2Chachi2  1871WRX Points: 1,283Handicap: 69Members Posts: 1,871 Platinum Tees

If I went the Ben Hogan route, does anyone know of a quality maker of the hat? Everything I've seen so far is cheap and flimsy.

Posted:
  • DeacLaw05DeacLaw05  379WRX Points: 72Handicap: 6Members Posts: 379 Greens

Classic high crown visor would be perfect. Check Imperial’s website.

Posted:
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MO 880WRX Points: 143Handicap: 4.4Members Posts: 880 Golden Tee

On -, @DeacLaw05 said. The high crown visor (you can never go wrong with a high crown visor). Also if you wanna really go old school I have a couple of straw fedoras of various brim sizes that would go nicely with them.
    Posted:
    GO DAWGS
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3  1183WRX Points: 356Members Posts: 1,183 Platinum Tees

On -, @Mr. Hogan said:

If I went the Ben Hogan route, does anyone know of a quality maker of the hat? Everything I've seen so far is cheap and flimsy.

Hannah hats anything you need

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey  523WRX Points: 246Members Posts: 523 Golden Tee

BDC has ruined the Hogan cap for me. It was great on Hogan, I tolerated it with Payne Stewart - it was his shtick, but I'm not DeChambeau's biggest fan and he's all I think about when I see that cap anymore.

An old school, coarse wool, unstructured baseball cap like ballplayers wore in the earlier part of last century would be an interesting look.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ctfuzz21ctfuzz21  783WRX Points: 103Members Posts: 783 Golden Tee

Wool, unstructured ball cap with a small logo on the front. Hat should be either the color of the cardigan or the pants.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 10.5
    Titleist TS3 13.5 3-Wood
    TaylorMade M2 3 Hybrid
    Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 
    Titleist AVX

RLX Apparel with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves
  • BMCBMC  3815WRX Points: 767Handicap: YESMembers Posts: 3,815 Titanium Tees

Porkpie hat. They're old skool and hip at the same time. They'd look great with those shoes and then you could hit the club straight from the course.

Posted:
    Titleist 917D2
    Cleveland Launcher 13*
    Adams Pro Mini Hybrid 20*
    PING i25 irons 4-UW
    Callaway 56 SW
    Odyssey 1WS putter
  • TIM929TIM929 Los Angeles 1303WRX Points: 758Handicap: 11.1Members Posts: 1,303 Platinum Tees

Dannnggg, nice shoes OP.

If not the hogan hat, the below:

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0       Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood        whatevers stock              Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                 HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0       Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                      DG S300                          Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 52.12F (bent to 49.09)DG S400                           Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 56.10S                         DG S400                          Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 60.12D                        DG S400                           Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5  34" loft 6.5                       Pistolini Plus  
    Titleist PROV1                                 ball
    Kirkland sig                                     glove 
    FJ rain glove                                    glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/
  • DavidvDavidv  996WRX Points: 220Members Posts: 996 Golden Tee

Newsboy style hat would be perfect. Google it and shop away.

Posted:
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down.  1900WRX Points: 694Members Posts: 1,900 Platinum Tees

+1 for straw fedora.

Another bold look is go with baseball player eye black to cut the glare.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MO 880WRX Points: 143Handicap: 4.4Members Posts: 880 Golden Tee

Also those shoes are great. I had them in all black but sold them last year... I just never wore them :(

Posted:
    GO DAWGS
  • davep043davep043  4714WRX Points: 1,951Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 4,714 Titanium Tees

On -, @Davidv said:

Newsboy style hat would be perfect. Google it and shop away.

I like the idea of a newsboy hat, kind of like Bryson's Kangol, but looser and less structured. I think I remember seeing Byron Nelson wearing one of these. You might check out Hats in the Belfry for decent quality hats:
    https://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/category/mens-eight-quarter-newsboy-hats.html
    Its definitely a traditional look:

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• Chachi2Chachi2  1871WRX Points: 1,283Handicap: 69Members Posts: 1,871 Platinum Tees

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm looking at some quality flat caps (i.e., newsboy) to purchase. I also might just go without a hat and wear my tortoise shell Ray-Ban Clubmasters if it's sunny. I'm also going to look into a Porkpie hat. If the golf thing doesn't work out I can chase criminals with Popeye Doyle.

Posted:
  • IrishGolfer14IrishGolfer14  632WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 632 Golden Tee

I actually think that a more structured baseball hat with a less curved brim would work well. Justin Thomas wears that style of hat with very similar shoes, and I believe that he has even worn a cardigan before too. In my opinion, wearing one of the old school hats might actually be too much old school style in one, and make it look like you’re dressing up in an older golfer costume rather than a modern outfit with a throwback vibe.

Posted:
    Ping G30
    Titleist 915 F
    Ping Rapture Hybrid 21
    Mizuno MP15 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • halliedoghalliedog  2494WRX Points: 312Handicap: 5.2Members Posts: 2,494 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Advertisement
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn  2543WRX Points: 368Members Posts: 2,543 Titanium Tees

An old unstructured wool baseball cap or I have been happy with several "Hogan" type hats off Amazon, they are like 10 bucks or something close.. The more expensive route would be Kangol.. I am not a fedora kind of guy..

Posted:
  • caniac6caniac6  3262WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,262 Titanium Tees

If I ever ask for a hat to match my shoes and sweater, please suggest a purse, too.

Posted:
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Michigan 3705WRX Points: 440ClubWRX Posts: 3,705 ClubWRX

Check out Kangol hats... a few different styles you might like including that B. Hogan look.

Posted:
  • psygolfpsygolf  1165WRX Points: 120Members Posts: 1,165 Platinum Tees

Visor?

Posted:
  • neild76neild76  353WRX Points: 105Members Posts: 353 Greens

As noted above, Imperial Tour Visor.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • PaintmanPaintman  74WRX Points: 40Handicap: 15Members Posts: 74 Bunkers

The MLB store has old timey wool baseball hats. The throwback logos are authentic, and very small. $40 or so.

Posted:
  • ShakesterShakester  609WRX Points: 132Handicap: 9Members Posts: 609 Golden Tee

Just going hatless would be an option too.

Posted:
    Cobra Speedzone 9 degrees (Aldila Rogue 60) 
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1x
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck  470WRX Points: 221Members Posts: 470 Greens

A wide snap-brim fedora would work well:

Posted:
  • 6thFairway6thFairway  1853WRX Points: 149Handicap: 11Members Posts: 1,853 Platinum Tees

On -, @caniac6 said:

If I ever ask for a hat to match my shoes and sweater, please suggest a purse, too.

And yet you read a forum called "Golf Style and Accessories." Ironic.

Posted:

I was able to get a linen Cappellificio Biellese flat cap that is made to my head size (7 1/8 inches/58 cm) and it looks great. I tried other caps that were one size fits all or one size fits most and the look was horrible. Too much material puffing out on the sides. This cap looks very trim and smart.

Now I just need some better weather to get out on the course.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook  839WRX Points: 323Members Posts: 839 Golden Tee

a Stetson fedora is always noticed when you're dressing vintage. Borsalino makes some classic toppers.

Posted:
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • MalvernMalvern  544WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Members Posts: 544 Golden Tee

On -, @Shakester said:

Just going hatless would be an option too.

Useless if you live in the skin cancer capital of the world.

Posted:
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OH 234WRX Points: 160Handicap: 10Members Posts: 234 Fairways

Id say go with a newsboy cap or a vintage style visor.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • LyinEyeLyinEye  317WRX Points: 151Members Posts: 317 Greens

Check out the movie, all kinds of era hats throughout.

Posted:

The body hits and the club strikes

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.