Your favorite blade irons

24567

Comments

  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,646 ✭✭

    Of all time.

    1967 Hogan PC5. These ones have the 2.5" hosel instead of the 3" hosel. I have a set of 2-9 iron in pretty good shape at home. I'm trying to get the Equalizer and then ship them off to the Iron Factory to be restore,.

    1983 Hogan Apex PC. Kind of a cross between old school blades and more modern designed blade (of blade designs in the 90's).

    TaylorMade ICW5 - I used to hit these so pure, except for the 9 and PW as a junior golfer. I'm guessing the 9 and PW needed to have some specs adjusted. 2-iron was the greatest 'driving iron' I've ever owned. It was L-O-N-G and straight.

    My friend's custom made MacGregor's. Didn't get any better than this. Purest looking head and just the right amount of head size and shape to go along with the blade design. A masterpiece. Wish I had photos of them.

    Out of the more modern designs, I really like the new Wilson blades, the TaylorMade P730's and the Mizuno MP-18. Basically, you're not going to go wrong that often with Mizuno blades.

    RH

  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 745 ✭✭

    I'd say any of the models Nike brought out when they were in the game - the OGs, VR TW or VR Pros. Current favourites are the VR Pros, usual great Nike looks and crisp feel, but the grooves are savage and put unreal amounts of spin on the ball. No harder to hit than a player's CB either.

    Only challenge is finding a decent set. It took me 18 months of scouring ebay and Golfbidder to find mine.

    The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Mitsubishi JvlnFX 74 X-Flex
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

    Also in Rotation:

    Driving Iron: Nike Vapor Fly 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedge: Nike Engage 58 Dual Sole
    Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    edited Apr 19, 2019 2:57pm #34

    @RichieHunt said:
    Of all time.

    1967 Hogan PC5. These ones have the 2.5" hosel instead of the 3" hosel. I have a set of 2-9 iron in pretty good shape at home. I'm trying to get the Equalizer and then ship them off to the Iron Factory to be restore,.

    1983 Hogan Apex PC. Kind of a cross between old school blades and more modern designed blade (of blade designs in the 90's).

    TaylorMade ICW5 - I used to hit these so pure, except for the 9 and PW as a junior golfer. I'm guessing the 9 and PW needed to have some specs adjusted. 2-iron was the greatest 'driving iron' I've ever owned. It was L-O-N-G and straight.

    My friend's custom made MacGregor's. Didn't get any better than this. Purest looking head and just the right amount of head size and shape to go along with the blade design. A masterpiece. Wish I had photos of them.

    Out of the more modern designs, I really like the new Wilson blades, the TaylorMade P730's and the Mizuno MP-18. Basically, you're not going to go wrong that often with Mizuno blades.

    RH

    Weren't the TM ICW5 cast? I saw a set in really good shape at a local play it again sports for next to nothing. Good looking irons.

    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,646 ✭✭

    @LaymanM said:

    @RichieHunt said:
    Of all time.

    1967 Hogan PC5. These ones have the 2.5" hosel instead of the 3" hosel. I have a set of 2-9 iron in pretty good shape at home. I'm trying to get the Equalizer and then ship them off to the Iron Factory to be restore,.

    1983 Hogan Apex PC. Kind of a cross between old school blades and more modern designed blade (of blade designs in the 90's).

    TaylorMade ICW5 - I used to hit these so pure, except for the 9 and PW as a junior golfer. I'm guessing the 9 and PW needed to have some specs adjusted. 2-iron was the greatest 'driving iron' I've ever owned. It was L-O-N-G and straight.

    My friend's custom made MacGregor's. Didn't get any better than this. Purest looking head and just the right amount of head size and shape to go along with the blade design. A masterpiece. Wish I had photos of them.

    Out of the more modern designs, I really like the new Wilson blades, the TaylorMade P730's and the Mizuno MP-18. Basically, you're not going to go wrong that often with Mizuno blades.

    RH

    Weren't the TM ICW5 cast? I saw a set in really good shape at a local play it again sports for next to nothing. Good looking irons.

    I believe they were. IIRC, ICW stood for 'inner cavity weighting.' Whatever that meant.

    RH

  • jshuffjshuff Members Posts: 103 ✭✭

    I like the Mizuno MP-33 and MP-4, but wish the 33 had less offset. I purchased a set of raw Callaway Apex MBs and am shafting them tonight.

  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭

    From the new models this year my pick would be the staff blade. Amazing blend of old school looks with a modern twist imo.

    Cobra F9 Tour Length
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Irons TBD
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • moorebaseballmoorebaseball Members Posts: 252 ✭✭

    These do look VERY ****! I cannot wait to hit them!

  • PacificgemPacificgem Victoria BC, CanadaMembers Posts: 46 ✭✭

    Bridgestone J15 MB’s are my favorite to hit.

    Driver: Callaway GBB EPIC Tensei Orange 60S 9.5°
    3 Wood: TaylorMade M2 15°
    2 Iron: TaylorMade 790 UDI 17°
    Irons: Mizuno HM Pro 4-GW Modus3 R
    Wedge: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 56°
    Wedge: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 60° 
    Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Fastback


  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,292 ✭✭

    Macgregor VIP
    Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfields--- Which are basically the same thing
    Macgregor FC-4000
    Hogan Precision
    MP-33
    MP-68

  • DYOS4DYOS4 Members Posts: 613 ✭✭

    Mizuno MP-14s and the current Cobra MBs.

    Cobra F9
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 818H2 21*
    Cobra CB/MB 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50* SM6 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5
  • Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

    @pinestreetgolf said:
    Good grief, if you copied and pasted some of these posts into a wine forum they wouldn't be out of place.

    "Ah, yes, the Yonex Ezone MBs. Buttery notes, earthy offset, inviting aromas. Smooth aftertaste and silky bouquet sets it apart, especially paired with such subtle offset." adjusts blazer that has elbow pads

    And that's a good thing.

    D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90X
    3-PW - Mizuno TN87 Modus3 120S
    54 - KM Miura
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭
    edited Apr 20, 2019 1:54am #44

    @gbartko said:

    @pinestreetgolf said:
    Good grief, if you copied and pasted some of these posts into a wine forum they wouldn't be out of place.

    "Ah, yes, the Yonex Ezone MBs. Buttery notes, earthy offset, inviting aromas. Smooth aftertaste and silky bouquet sets it apart, especially paired with such subtle offset." adjusts blazer that has elbow pads

    stay in your lane with the unwashed masses

    @bladehunter said:
    Haven’t beat this set. Yet. 681 era titleist tour proto set. ( blank where model should be ). Hard to explain. They just hit themselves.

    Hey, to all their own. Gorgeous Mizzys there. I reserve my right to roll my eyes whenever I hear the phrase "buttery" about something that isn't a dinner roll.

    Hunter you know the only reason those blades get the ball off the ground is their proximity to an Adams XTD Super LS. The hotness is bleeding into all the other clubs.

    Super LS for lyfe.

    Ping G30 10.5* 14.5* 17* TFC-419 stiff
    Bridgestone j40 3-PW 52* 57* DG s300
    Scotty Cameron Big Sur s 34"
  • manxytagmanxytag Members Posts: 522 ✭✭

    I don't get the 33's, I had a set based on the rave reviews and they were too high launch for me. lovely feel though but arent all Mizuno blades?
    I would put the modern blades up there, love the 4's and 69's but my favourite set purely because these were what I learnt to play with many years ago are Wilson Staff Fluid Feel.

  • BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,921 ✭✭

    At the end of the day there are literally a hundred super awesome and very playable blade sets you could be happy with. It isn’t one size fits all for all people and if you ho enough sets (4 or 5 and beyond) you end up being a lot better at buying clubs you may like from photos and knowing very quickly if you are reselling them once you get them. Just be open minded to give it a few sets of need be.

    I am trying to be open minded about my current cb set, I just am struggling so hard to find something as good to me as the dci 962s. I have tried and sold like 10 since......

    Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • aswileaswile Members Posts: 126 ✭✭

    @NRJyzr said:

    @IcemanYVR said:
    MP-33, anything else is just a tribute.

    I don't disagree, but there's a bit of irony in your statement. Most Mizuno blades are tributes to prior MacGregor designs, up thru the 33's. The cut muscle may have been the first departure from that trend.

    Getting on thread topic, I've always been a Ram Tour Grind guy. Also like the Muirfield 20ths, several Wilson Staff models, the 99 Hogan Apex, and the Tommy Armour 986 Tours. Intrigued by the 99 Australian Blades, also, probably the softest clubs I've ever hit; hitting a Revolution ball with them was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

    Giving an Honorable Mention to the Mizuno MS-11 / MP-11. Even after the release of the 33s, many considered the 11s to be Mizuno's finest blade. Only reason they don't rate higher for me is a personal launch condition issue.

    I'm not sure if the MP 11 and TP 11 are the same, but I just put together a set of refinished TP 11's with Brunswick FM 6.5 stepped shafts and they are fantastic to hit! Less than 1/2 club difference from my X-Forged 2018s with much better feel. I only have up to a 4 iron, but it is really easy to hit high. They are super-sensitive to ball position though...a ball or two back gives me a BIG draw. Off the left heel is high and straight. Those slightly chubby shots are not rewarded though :)

  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭

    I really do like my Srixon Z945s, but to a purest, with the toe weights, maybe they are not "true" blades, also had a set of Mirua MB001s, just a great blade.

    Of the current lineup, just by looks, I love the look of the new Callaways, second might go to the TMs.

    One set I wish I hadn't gotten rid of, my 1976 Wilson Stafff blades, got them new when I was in high school. :'(

    WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members Posts: 1,832 ✭✭

    MP-33 and 680.MB

  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,283 ✭✭

    @aswile said:

    @NRJyzr said:

    @IcemanYVR said:
    MP-33, anything else is just a tribute.

    I don't disagree, but there's a bit of irony in your statement. Most Mizuno blades are tributes to prior MacGregor designs, up thru the 33's. The cut muscle may have been the first departure from that trend.

    Getting on thread topic, I've always been a Ram Tour Grind guy. Also like the Muirfield 20ths, several Wilson Staff models, the 99 Hogan Apex, and the Tommy Armour 986 Tours. Intrigued by the 99 Australian Blades, also, probably the softest clubs I've ever hit; hitting a Revolution ball with them was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

    Giving an Honorable Mention to the Mizuno MS-11 / MP-11. Even after the release of the 33s, many considered the 11s to be Mizuno's finest blade. Only reason they don't rate higher for me is a personal launch condition issue.

    I'm not sure if the MP 11 and TP 11 are the same, but I just put together a set of refinished TP 11's with Brunswick FM 6.5 stepped shafts and they are fantastic to hit! Less than 1/2 club difference from my X-Forged 2018s with much better feel. I only have up to a 4 iron, but it is really easy to hit high. They are super-sensitive to ball position though...a ball or two back gives me a BIG draw. Off the left heel is high and straight. Those slightly chubby shots are not rewarded though :)

    The TP-11's appear to be more like the MP-9's, such as I've seen.

    One nice aspect of the MP-11's is bounce, they have more than other blades of that era. Actually, also more than the MP-33's, the 14's, and so on. They're a little better on those slightly heavy shots than many. They hit the ball a bit higher than the Golden Rams I was playing when I picked up the 11s, in spite of some stronger lofts.

    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,215 ✭✭

    @IcemanYVR said:

    I'm not sure if the MP 11 and TP 11 are the same, but I just put together a set of refinished TP 11's with Brunswick FM 6.5 stepped shafts and they are fantastic to hit! Less than 1/2 club difference from my X-Forged 2018s with much better feel. I only have up to a 4 iron, but it is really easy to hit high. They are super-sensitive to ball position though...a ball or two back gives me a BIG draw. Off the left heel is high and straight. Those slightly chubby shots are not rewarded though :)

    You have great taste.......................in shafts. Yeah the TP is good choice, but them Brunswick's, ah they add a sweet and salt that lingers on the pallet long into follow through. :)

  • erikroerikro Massachusetts Members Posts: 604 ✭✭
    edited Apr 20, 2019 2:19pm #54



    Maybe not my favorite but for $80 I like them.

  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭

    @erikro said:


    Nice but not blades

    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • 1s1k1s1k A-Town, MAMembers Posts: 471 ✭✭

    @RichieHunt said:

    @LaymanM said:

    @RichieHunt said:
    Of all time.

    1967 Hogan PC5. These ones have the 2.5" hosel instead of the 3" hosel. I have a set of 2-9 iron in pretty good shape at home. I'm trying to get the Equalizer and then ship them off to the Iron Factory to be restore,.

    1983 Hogan Apex PC. Kind of a cross between old school blades and more modern designed blade (of blade designs in the 90's).

    TaylorMade ICW5 - I used to hit these so pure, except for the 9 and PW as a junior golfer. I'm guessing the 9 and PW needed to have some specs adjusted. 2-iron was the greatest 'driving iron' I've ever owned. It was L-O-N-G and straight.

    My friend's custom made MacGregor's. Didn't get any better than this. Purest looking head and just the right amount of head size and shape to go along with the blade design. A masterpiece. Wish I had photos of them.

    Out of the more modern designs, I really like the new Wilson blades, the TaylorMade P730's and the Mizuno MP-18. Basically, you're not going to go wrong that often with Mizuno blades.

    RH

    Weren't the TM ICW5 cast? I saw a set in really good shape at a local play it again sports for next to nothing. Good looking irons.

    I believe they were. IIRC, ICW stood for 'inner cavity weighting.' Whatever that meant.

    RH

    I played 2-PW of the TM ICW5's in High School along with a 845 1 iron. Still have them and will never part with them.

    TM M5 Tour 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TM P790 UDI 2-Iron HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    TM P.7TW 3-PW Project X 6.5

    Titleist SM7 WedgeWorks Raw
    46*/10F Project X 6.5 
    50*/08F, 54*/10S, & 60*/12D TI DG S400

    TM Spider X 34" Navy
    TM TP5X
    Mizuno MP32's 2-PW 
    Callaway Legacy Black 3-PW 
  • bfp9bfp9 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

    My favorites: 2006 Hogan Apex. OG Nike Blades. Taylormade RAC TP MB. Mizuno MP-32.

    I've only hit older blades as you can see. I tried the PXG experiment and that failed so I'm sticking to what I know. To me old blades = new blades. Nothing has changed significantly enough to warrant new ones for me, except the grooves wearing thin on my Hogans.

  • erikroerikro Massachusetts Members Posts: 604 ✭✭

    @LaymanM said:

    @erikro said:


    Nice but not blades

    Thank you for pointing that out.

  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,575 ✭✭

    Also from the past and some from the near present.
    1966 Golfcraft Continental
    1964 MacGregor Tommy Armour 985 Silver Scot
    1969 Wilson Staff Dynapower
    1982 Spalding Top Flite Shark Custom Made
    1983 Hogan PC
    1994 Titleist Tour Blade
    2004 MacGregor PMB
    2003 Titleist 680

    Cobra F8+, 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

    Cobra F8 5-6 wood, Tensei Blue A
    Callaway V Sole 7-wood, Bassara R
    Callaway Rogue Pro 5-AW, Recoil 95 F3
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

    Ping Zing 2 TR 34", Flatso 1.0 grip
  • widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,601 ✭✭

    I'd like to try these. Haven't been to a store that carries them yet.

  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,576 ✭✭
    edited Apr 20, 2019 7:17pm #61

    Hard to beat my 17s. Not an actual photo of mine but I like the paint fill in these. Although,I would bag a set of original TW VRs.

Sign In or Register to comment.