Your favorite blade irons

Comments

• RichieHuntRichieHunt Members  4060WRX Points: 751Posts: 4,060 Titanium Tees

Of all time.

1967 Hogan PC5. These ones have the 2.5" hosel instead of the 3" hosel. I have a set of 2-9 iron in pretty good shape at home. I'm trying to get the Equalizer and then ship them off to the Iron Factory to be restore,.

1983 Hogan Apex PC. Kind of a cross between old school blades and more modern designed blade (of blade designs in the 90's).

TaylorMade ICW5 - I used to hit these so pure, except for the 9 and PW as a junior golfer. I'm guessing the 9 and PW needed to have some specs adjusted. 2-iron was the greatest 'driving iron' I've ever owned. It was L-O-N-G and straight.

My friend's custom made MacGregor's. Didn't get any better than this. Purest looking head and just the right amount of head size and shape to go along with the blade design. A masterpiece. Wish I had photos of them.

Out of the more modern designs, I really like the new Wilson blades, the TaylorMade P730's and the Mizuno MP-18. Basically, you're not going to go wrong that often with Mizuno blades.

RH

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members  956WRX Points: 328Handicap: 8Posts: 956 Golden Tee

I'd say any of the models Nike brought out when they were in the game - the OGs, VR TW or VR Pros. Current favourites are the VR Pros, usual great Nike looks and crisp feel, but the grooves are savage and put unreal amounts of spin on the ball. No harder to hit than a player's CB either.

Only challenge is finding a decent set. It took me 18 months of scouring ebay and Golfbidder to find mine.

Posted:
    The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

• LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers  2211WRX Points: 304Handicap: 7Posts: 2,211 Platinum Tees

On -, @RichieHunt said:

Of all time.

1967 Hogan PC5. These ones have the 2.5" hosel instead of the 3" hosel. I have a set of 2-9 iron in pretty good shape at home. I'm trying to get the Equalizer and then ship them off to the Iron Factory to be restore,.

1983 Hogan Apex PC. Kind of a cross between old school blades and more modern designed blade (of blade designs in the 90's).

TaylorMade ICW5 - I used to hit these so pure, except for the 9 and PW as a junior golfer. I'm guessing the 9 and PW needed to have some specs adjusted. 2-iron was the greatest 'driving iron' I've ever owned. It was L-O-N-G and straight.

My friend's custom made MacGregor's. Didn't get any better than this. Purest looking head and just the right amount of head size and shape to go along with the blade design. A masterpiece. Wish I had photos of them.

Out of the more modern designs, I really like the new Wilson blades, the TaylorMade P730's and the Mizuno MP-18. Basically, you're not going to go wrong that often with Mizuno blades.

RH

Weren't the TM ICW5 cast? I saw a set in really good shape at a local play it again sports for next to nothing. Good looking irons.

Posted:
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members  4060WRX Points: 751Posts: 4,060 Titanium Tees

On -, @LaymanM said:

On -, @RichieHunt said:

Of all time.

RH

Weren't the TM ICW5 cast? I saw a set in really good shape at a local play it again sports for next to nothing. Good looking irons.

I believe they were. IIRC, ICW stood for 'inner cavity weighting.' Whatever that meant.

RH

Posted:
  • jshuffjshuff Members  113WRX Points: 83Posts: 113 Fairways

I like the Mizuno MP-33 and MP-4, but wish the 33 had less offset. I purchased a set of raw Callaway Apex MBs and am shafting them tonight.

Posted:
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members  3774WRX Points: 695Handicap: 3.0Posts: 3,774 Titanium Tees

From the new models this year my pick would be the staff blade. Amazing blend of old school looks with a modern twist imo.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    TaylorMade Sim Max Rescue 19° w/ HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 3-9 w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 48°,53°,58° w/ DG S400 Tour Issue
    Odyssey WHP #3

Advertisement
  • moorebaseballmoorebaseball Members  610WRX Points: 83Posts: 610 Golden Tee

These do look VERY ****! I cannot wait to hit them!

Posted:
  • PacificgemPacificgem Victoria BC, CanadaMembers  57WRX Points: 43Handicap: 8Posts: 57 Bunkers

Bridgestone J15 MB’s are my favorite to hit.

Posted:

Driver: Callaway GBB EPIC Aldila NV 55S 9.5°
    3 Wood: Callaway EPIC Flash 15°
    2 Iron: TaylorMade 790 UDI 17°
    Irons: Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-PW Modus3 S
    Wedge: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 56°
    Wedge: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 60° 
    Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

• DYOS4DYOS4 Members  793WRX Points: 69Posts: 793 Golden Tee

Mizuno MP-14s and the current Cobra MBs.

Posted:
    170+ Positive Feedback Comments

WITB Currently
    Mizuno ST190 9.5*
    TM 2016 M2 16.5*
    Srixon F85 18*
    Cobra F9 4i-5i
    Srixon 745 6-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50* SM6 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Advertisement
  • Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members  1432WRX Points: 340Posts: 1,432 Platinum Tees

On -, @pinestreetgolf said:

Good grief, if you copied and pasted some of these posts into a wine forum they wouldn't be out of place.

"Ah, yes, the Yonex Ezone MBs. Buttery notes, earthy offset, inviting aromas. Smooth aftertaste and silky bouquet sets it apart, especially paired with such subtle offset." adjusts blazer that has elbow pads

And that's a good thing.

Posted:
    D - Ping G400 LST Tour AD IZ 6x
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6x
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder Evolution II 757x
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90x
    4-P - Tourstage MR23 U.S. Spec CB DGX100
    52, 56 - Cleveland RTX4 forged S400
    60 - Cleveland 588 
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf Members  3552WRX Points: 349Handicap: 4Posts: 3,552 Titanium Tees

On -, @gbartko said:

On -, @pinestreetgolf said:

Good grief, if you copied and pasted some of these posts into a wine forum they wouldn't be out of place.

"Ah, yes, the Yonex Ezone MBs. Buttery notes, earthy offset, inviting aromas. Smooth aftertaste and silky bouquet sets it apart, especially paired with such subtle offset." adjusts blazer that has elbow pads

stay in your lane with the unwashed masses

On -, @bladehunter said:

Haven’t beat this set. Yet. 681 era titleist tour proto set. ( blank where model should be ). Hard to explain. They just hit themselves.

Hey, to all their own. Gorgeous Mizzys there. I reserve my right to roll my eyes whenever I hear the phrase "buttery" about something that isn't a dinner roll.

Hunter you know the only reason those blades get the ball off the ground is their proximity to an Adams XTD Super LS. The hotness is bleeding into all the other clubs.

Super LS for lyfe.

Posted:
    Ping G30 9* driver and 17* hybrid TFC-419 stiff
    Bridgestone j40 dpc 3-LW x100
    Fitted Edel
  • manxytagmanxytag Members  574WRX Points: 99Handicap: 5.1Posts: 574 Golden Tee

I don't get the 33's, I had a set based on the rave reviews and they were too high launch for me. lovely feel though but arent all Mizuno blades?
    I would put the modern blades up there, love the 4's and 69's but my favourite set purely because these were what I learnt to play with many years ago are Wilson Staff Fluid Feel.

Posted:
  • BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members  4970WRX Points: 459Handicap: JDMPosts: 4,970 Titanium Tees

At the end of the day there are literally a hundred super awesome and very playable blade sets you could be happy with. It isn’t one size fits all for all people and if you ho enough sets (4 or 5 and beyond) you end up being a lot better at buying clubs you may like from photos and knowing very quickly if you are reselling them once you get them. Just be open minded to give it a few sets of need be.

I am trying to be open minded about my current cb set, I just am struggling so hard to find something as good to me as the dci 962s. I have tried and sold like 10 since......

Posted:
    Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.

Advertisement
  • aswileaswile Members  141WRX Points: 83Posts: 141 Fairways

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @IcemanYVR said:

MP-33, anything else is just a tribute.

I don't disagree, but there's a bit of irony in your statement. Most Mizuno blades are tributes to prior MacGregor designs, up thru the 33's. The cut muscle may have been the first departure from that trend.

Getting on thread topic, I've always been a Ram Tour Grind guy. Also like the Muirfield 20ths, several Wilson Staff models, the 99 Hogan Apex, and the Tommy Armour 986 Tours. Intrigued by the 99 Australian Blades, also, probably the softest clubs I've ever hit; hitting a Revolution ball with them was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

Giving an Honorable Mention to the Mizuno MS-11 / MP-11. Even after the release of the 33s, many considered the 11s to be Mizuno's finest blade. Only reason they don't rate higher for me is a personal launch condition issue.

I'm not sure if the MP 11 and TP 11 are the same, but I just put together a set of refinished TP 11's with Brunswick FM 6.5 stepped shafts and they are fantastic to hit! Less than 1/2 club difference from my X-Forged 2018s with much better feel. I only have up to a 4 iron, but it is really easy to hit high. They are super-sensitive to ball position though...a ball or two back gives me a BIG draw. Off the left heel is high and straight. Those slightly chubby shots are not rewarded though :)

Posted:
  • Mike_CMike_C Members  1593WRX Points: 204Posts: 1,593 Platinum Tees

I really do like my Srixon Z945s, but to a purest, with the toe weights, maybe they are not "true" blades, also had a set of Mirua MB001s, just a great blade.

Of the current lineup, just by looks, I love the look of the new Callaways, second might go to the TMs.

One set I wish I hadn't gotten rid of, my 1976 Wilson Stafff blades, got them new when I was in high school. :'(

Posted:
    WITB
    Ping G410 LST 9.0 Tensei CK Orange 60 X
    Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    TM GAPR Mid 4 hybrid KBS Hybrid S
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Cleveland CBX 2 52 bent to 51 DG 120 S
    Callaway MD 4 54/10 S Modus 3 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    Original Ping B60, White Hot 2 ball blade, Never Compromise Dinero Baron,  or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members  2102WRX Points: 390Posts: 2,102 Platinum Tees

MP-33 and 680.MB

Posted:
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7296WRX Points: 1,357Handicap: 7Posts: 7,296 Titanium Tees

On -, @aswile said:

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @IcemanYVR said:

MP-33, anything else is just a tribute.

I don't disagree, but there's a bit of irony in your statement. Most Mizuno blades are tributes to prior MacGregor designs, up thru the 33's. The cut muscle may have been the first departure from that trend.

Getting on thread topic, I've always been a Ram Tour Grind guy. Also like the Muirfield 20ths, several Wilson Staff models, the 99 Hogan Apex, and the Tommy Armour 986 Tours. Intrigued by the 99 Australian Blades, also, probably the softest clubs I've ever hit; hitting a Revolution ball with them was like hitting a feather with a pillow.

Giving an Honorable Mention to the Mizuno MS-11 / MP-11. Even after the release of the 33s, many considered the 11s to be Mizuno's finest blade. Only reason they don't rate higher for me is a personal launch condition issue.

I'm not sure if the MP 11 and TP 11 are the same, but I just put together a set of refinished TP 11's with Brunswick FM 6.5 stepped shafts and they are fantastic to hit! Less than 1/2 club difference from my X-Forged 2018s with much better feel. I only have up to a 4 iron, but it is really easy to hit high. They are super-sensitive to ball position though...a ball or two back gives me a BIG draw. Off the left heel is high and straight. Those slightly chubby shots are not rewarded though :)

The TP-11's appear to be more like the MP-9's, such as I've seen.

One nice aspect of the MP-11's is bounce, they have more than other blades of that era. Actually, also more than the MP-33's, the 14's, and so on. They're a little better on those slightly heavy shots than many. They hit the ball a bit higher than the Golden Rams I was playing when I picked up the 11s, in spite of some stronger lofts.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805

Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3890WRX Points: 857Handicap: 9Posts: 3,890 Titanium Tees

On -, @IcemanYVR said:

You have great taste.......................in shafts. Yeah the TP is good choice, but them Brunswick's, ah they add a sweet and salt that lingers on the pallet long into follow through. :)

Posted:
  • erikroerikro Massachusetts Members  679WRX Points: 160Posts: 679 Golden Tee

Maybe not my favorite but for $80 I like them.

Posted:
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers  2211WRX Points: 304Handicap: 7Posts: 2,211 Platinum Tees

On -, @erikro said:

Nice but not blades

Posted:
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5
  • 1s1k1s1k A-Town, MAMembers  613WRX Points: 384Handicap: 5'ishPosts: 613 Golden Tee

On -, @RichieHunt said:

On -, @LaymanM said:

On -, @RichieHunt said:

Of all time.

RH

I believe they were. IIRC, ICW stood for 'inner cavity weighting.' Whatever that meant.

RH

I played 2-PW of the TM ICW5's in High School along with a 845 1 iron. Still have them and will never part with them.

Posted:
    TM SIM 8* Driver Ventus Black 7X 
    TM P790 UDI 2-Iron 2nd Gen HZRDUS Smoke 100g 6.5
    Srixon Z785 3-PW Project X 6.5
    TM MG2 Black Wedges 50.09, 54.11, 60.08 Project X 6.5
    TM MySpider X 34" Black on Black
    TM TP5X

Bag Room
    Mizuno MP32 2-PW 
    Callaway Legacy Black 3-PW 
    Srixon Z745 3-PW
  • bfp9bfp9 Members  23WRX Points: 26Handicap: 4Posts: 23 Bunkers

My favorites: 2006 Hogan Apex. OG Nike Blades. Taylormade RAC TP MB. Mizuno MP-32.

I've only hit older blades as you can see. I tried the PXG experiment and that failed so I'm sticking to what I know. To me old blades = new blades. Nothing has changed significantly enough to warrant new ones for me, except the grooves wearing thin on my Hogans.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • erikroerikro Massachusetts Members  679WRX Points: 160Posts: 679 Golden Tee

On -, @LaymanM said:

On -, @erikro said:

Nice but not blades

Thank you for pointing that out.

Posted:
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members  3869WRX Points: 461Handicap: 6Posts: 3,869 Titanium Tees

Also from the past and some from the near present.
    1966 Golfcraft Continental
    1964 MacGregor Tommy Armour 985 Silver Scot
    1969 Wilson Staff Dynapower
    1982 Spalding Top Flite Shark Custom Made
    1983 Hogan PC
    1994 Titleist Tour Blade
    2004 MacGregor PMB
    2003 Titleist 680

Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin F2
    Cobra F8+ 17*, VA Composites Raijin F3
    Mizuno CLK 21*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
    Yonex Super Renkin Tour 4-pw, 24*-47*, S graphite
    Cobra MIM 50*, KBS Hi Rev 125 S
    Ping Glide 1.0 54.5*, CFS Wedge Flex
    Ping Eye 2+ SW/LW, 57.5*, KTM S
    Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35*
  • widow-makerwidow-maker Members  1683WRX Points: 255Handicap: 2.7Posts: 1,683 Platinum Tees

I'd like to try these. Haven't been to a store that carries them yet.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • boggymanboggyman Members  2956WRX Points: 354Posts: 2,956 Titanium Tees

Hard to beat my 17s. Not an actual photo of mine but I like the paint fill in these. Although,I would bag a set of original TW VRs.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.