Your favorite blade irons

Comments

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigmean said:

I am someone who likes shorter heel to toe and more squared toe....these are that, and I am working on making the set the next couple of weeks as parts come in. Pine street will be happy to know that these will not likely feel buttery soft at all despite the new copper clothing. They should be the right amount of awesome if I didn’t botch the shaft pairing. Still doubt they will kick gamers out tho....but they could, they are same thing just a little bit bigger.

BH, Those tour blank number models are really really really awesome....

Good gracious man ! Where did you get those ? I want ! lol

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• Vandeventer928Vandeventer928 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Cleveland CG1 Black Pearl.

• tkgolftkgolf Members Posts: 2
    edited Apr 21, 2019 8:42am #64

I liked the Titleist 714 MBs I had at one time. Only set of blades I ever gamed, but I enjoyed them.
    They had DG S300 shafts.

• tetstets Members Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

MP 33 and MP 32 ... pure butter

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bfp9 said:
    My favorites: 2006 Hogan Apex. OG Nike Blades. Taylormade RAC TP MB. Mizuno MP-32.

I've only hit older blades as you can see. I tried the PXG experiment and that failed so I'm sticking to what I know. To me old blades = new blades. Nothing has changed significantly enough to warrant new ones for me, except the grooves wearing thin on my Hogans.

The way I see it, those are newer blades. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    3w: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind TW282, Precision 6.5
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS -or- Ram TG-898 56*, DGS
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • s1tens1ten Members Posts: 159 ✭✭

MP18's are phenomenal in my opinion.

TM M5 460 10.5* Set @ 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S 45"
    TM M3 HL 17* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7S 42.5"
    Titleist 816H2 21* - Fuji Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron, 919 Tour 5-PW Nippon Modus 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM4 50*, TM High Toe 54*, 60*
    TM TP Red Ardmore 3 
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,734 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 21, 2019 1:50pm #68

The 17’s were too long heel/toe for my eye and while I did bag em for a bit after their introduction in ‘82, I ended up putting my ‘78 Tour Blades back in the bag, where they stayed through my first two Club Championships(1986/1987), when I switched to Mizzy(TP-9).

I went on to Play Mizzy for the next 25+ years till I put the 2008 Staff Fg 59 Tour Blades in the bag for my last season in the game(The standard retail iron is first pic with Limited Release Tour Blade bottom pic) They were designed after the exact 1976-1980 Tour Blades that I’d Played for a decade, which were also Sam & Johnny Miller’s favorite Staff Blade and the iron that Sam kept in his bag through the early 90’s and Miller had in the bag for his ‘76 Open Championship. Pete’s favorite staffs, along with Hale Irwin, were the ‘71 Button Backs, which the centenial irons, the Fg 100, were patterned after.

They are my all-time fave iron with the Mizzy 14’s being second and the 33’s rounding out my Top-3.

Cheers🍻
    RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,734 ClubWRX

@kiw1982 said:
    MP-69.

Traditional, proper weighting, great feel.

It is a great iron and it’s gorgeous however it was tough following such a well received blade as the 68, which I had in the bag for two seasons prior to putting the Staff 59’s in. I don’t know that I and the other Mizzy Players bought into all that “4D” bulls***, lolol, which led to some large a** short irons/wedges, at least by Mizzy standards, however Madison pulled mine outa the closet, hit em, and she’s having them reshafted this week
    and they’re goin in her bag, and the 18’s are coming out, lolol(she’s a Staffer).

Great choice Kiw👊

Stay well My Friend🍻
    RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭

Still have some MP69s in the bag; can't kick them out.

• Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gbartko said:

@pinestreetgolf said:
    Good grief, if you copied and pasted some of these posts into a wine forum they wouldn't be out of place.

"Ah, yes, the Yonex Ezone MBs. Buttery notes, earthy offset, inviting aromas. Smooth aftertaste and silky bouquet sets it apart, especially paired with such subtle offset." adjusts blazer that has elbow pads

stay in your lane with the unwashed masses

Read that as your avatar.

D - Bridgestone Tour B XD-5 Speeder Evolution II 661x
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6x
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder Evolution II 757x
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90X
    3-PW - Mizuno TN87 Modus3 120S
    54 - KM Miura (nickel chrome)
    58 - Miura Special Edition (raw)
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU
  • ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭

Just about any Cleveland blade would be up there, so would the Bridgestone J33.

Ping G410 9*
    Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
    Bettinardi BB0
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
    Ping Hoofer

edited Apr 22, 2019 12:20am #73

@Mike_C said:
    I really do like my Srixon Z945s, but to a purest, with the toe weights, maybe they are not "true" blades, also had a set of Mirua MB001s, just a great blade.

Of the current lineup, just by looks, I love the look of the new Callaways, second might go to the TMs.

One set I wish I hadn't gotten rid of, my 1976 Wilson Stafff blades, got them new when I was in high school. :'(

Those were very very special irons Mike and the start of a series(1976, 1978 & 1980) of irons that were amazing and copied decades later.

Though I Played the 1971 Button Backs through 1978, when I went with the ‘78 Tour Blades, your ‘76 Tour Blades were the first release of three, 1976, 1978 & 1980, which were arguably the greatest collection of Staff Blades ever released.

Some will include the 1982 releases, the Fg 17’s in there, however to most who were Playing Staff Blades through the 70’s and up to the 17’s release, their longer heel/toe length was not a favorite to those who’d bagged the 76-80 Tour Blades.

As I’ve stated elsewhere, though I gave the 17’s a shot, they lasted less than a month and my 78’s went back into the bag, where they stayed for 5 more years(I got a set every third season cuz of wear on 8i-PW) and through my first two Club Championships.

They also would go back into the bag in 1989 for three more seasons as while I went with the Mizzy TP-9s in 1987 and then the Mizzy 87’s in ‘88, and while I Played the 87’s for a season and they were nice and I liked em better than the 9s, they weren’t the Staff Tour Blades, lolol. The other thing is that at the time I was Playing a lot of competitive golf in the Ohio/WV/Western PA & NY area and I saw two other sets of 87’s in bags of competitors, one of those being an Oakmont CC Asst., as Bob Ford got Mizzy Oakmont and they were the first Mizzy distributor in Western Pennsylvania. One, Mizzy was new to the states as they’d come here in golf in 1985-86, I forget exactly, and Staff, Mac, Hogan and to a lesser degree Titleist dominated the iron game, and secondly, the 87’s were a Limited Release iron, and I’d actually gotten my set while in Europe, and not many made their way to the green grass shops in the good ole USA. I guess what I’m sayin is that I didn’t see any other 87’s back in the day, and I’ll never forget Sam makin fun of em cuz one, they were Japanese and he could never understand me leaving Staff for Mizzy and two, for Playing an iron that was basically an exact copy of Hogan’s Personal iron(Nakajima had a set of Personals and had the 6i in his room as he designed the 87 irons around it) and was designed by a guy who was more famous for his failures(a 13 at Augusta’s par-5 13th and the infamous “Sands of Nakajima” on the 17th Road Hole bunker at St. Andrews, where he took a quintuple bogie) than his successes, which were many as he was the leading money winner on the Japanese Tour for 4 years, had 56 Professional Victories and spent 85 weeks inside the world Top-10 and had Top-10’s in all of the Majors including a third in the PGA Championship. They were ok, though not even close to the Best Mizzies that I would Play over the next 25+ years, falling behind the 14’s & 33’s though I liked em better than the 68’s. Oh, and that bulls*** about the copper inlay, sublime feel, yada yada yada???

I spoke to two different engineers who worked on the 87’s, years apart and both said the same thing~

One, the purpose of the copper, which was sprayed on as a mist, was to enhance the adherence properties of the nickel chrome finish to the steel and as a mist, it wasn’t heavy enough, thick enough or close to enough copper to have any effect on the “feel” of the iron, which all of these supposed guys baggin all of these phantom sets of 87’s have been chirpin about for years, lmao😂😂😂

The second engineer laughingly stated that it was perhaps the greatest single product marketing feature in his time at Mizuno(18+ years) and it was unintended, imaginary and rose to mythical proportions with no help from Mizuno, lolol. I asked why no one ever corrected the misconception of the copper inlay and he looked at me like I was the biggest a**hole that he’d met in a while, which I may well have been, and said “yea, right,” lmao😂😂 I LMAO, cuz his look and response was priceless, lol

Hey, Sam Played his ‘78 Tour Blades until 1993-94, when he finally put the Fg 51s in the bag, though he always said that the 1976-1980 Tour Blades were the best iron that he’d ever swung.

So yea Mike, that sucks that ya got rid of your ‘76 Tour Blades, cuz those were the first of a run of arguably the greatest irons ever produced by Staff.

They were special indeed!!

All the Best,
    RP

Post edited by Forged4ever on

These are for @BIG STU

I hope that You and The Missus has a great Easter

🐣 Brother👊

Cheers🍻
    RP

• mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 3:53am #75

@ssp said:
    another vote for 710 MB's

There is something about that iron. I have a set I played forever and keep going back to them. The weight, ball flight and spin are perfect. My 7 iron is getting a little thin on grooves.

Post edited by mizuno player on
  • traderjasontraderjason Members Posts: 413 ✭✭

Titleist 690.MB. If it’s a blade, it has to be chrome. With the standard dynamic golds, cord tour velvet, and plain black ferrule these were all business

• cliffhangercliffhanger spruce grove albertaClubWRX Posts: 1,759 ClubWRX

only ever played one blade... MP 18 gets my vote.

Driver: TM M6 (10.5 deg) with Project X Smoke 60X playing at 45 inches
    3Wood: TM M6 (14 deg) with Project X Smoke 70X playing at 43 inches
    2 iron: TM 790 UDI bent to 19 degrees with Project X HZRDUS 85 X (6.5) at 39.5 inches
    4-GW: TM P760 with KBS Tour X (all bent 2 deg flat) standard length
    Wedges: TM Hi-Toe 56/10 and 60/10 (all bent 2 deg flat) with 2.0 hi-rev shafts both standard lengths
    TM Mullen 2 TP putter @ 34 inches 
    TM TP 5 ball 

All grips 360 tour velvet burgundy with 1 extra wrap

Sun mountain 4.5 stand bag

• razz11razz11 Members Posts: 340 ✭✭

Macgregor 1025 M
    Macgregor Pro M
    Mizuno MP14
    Mizuno MP69

Still own all of them and the 69s are my gamers.

Titleist 909 D2 Diamana Blueboard
    Titleist 909 F2 Diamana Blueboard
    Mizuno MP69 3-P S300
    Nike Engage 52 S - 56 TS - 60 S
    Guerin Rife Cayman Brac
    Sun Mountain SwiftX
    Taylormade Tour Preferred
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Curious to see the new Wilson offering! The pics. look great, but can't wait to give these a hit!

All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    SC NP2
    Srixon Z Star(2019)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • shanxshanx Members Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Forged4ever said:
    These are for @BIG STU

🐣 Brother👊

Cheers🍻
    RP

I shot 66 (36-30) with those MT blades. Loved 'em back in 1984.

Cobra F8+, 10*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Wilson Staff C300 4 hybrid, 21*, Fuji Pro 82 R
    Ping Eye 2 BeCu 4-pw, Microtaper S
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

T. Made Hi Toe 58*, KBS Hi Rev
    Evnroll ER6

• BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@Bigmean said:

I am someone who likes shorter heel to toe and more squared toe....these are that, and I am working on making the set the next couple of weeks as parts come in. Pine street will be happy to know that these will not likely feel buttery soft at all despite the new copper clothing. They should be the right amount of awesome if I didn’t botch the shaft pairing. Still doubt they will kick gamers out tho....but they could, they are same thing just a little bit bigger.

BH, Those tour blank number models are really really really awesome....

Good gracious man ! Where did you get those ? I want ! lol

I have wanted this set for a long time. Since I started surfing Japanese auctions. To my eye it is identical to small blades just a smidge bigger frame, more normal sized. I think 250 were made, in Japan to this day they go for like 700-1000. I think $2500 new. Anyway, on eBay at work and this dude in like Missouri of all places has a used set, some dings a tad ugly but no face wear to speak of, missing a shaft, just a real diamond looking rough.... he wants something for them lower than JaPan by a lot. I watch it, he lowers $60, I click make an offer and go low cause I am compelled after the drop.....thinking no way, he takes it, I am like Yes!, oh no, the wife!!!!. So I am in them for sub $200 after selling the shafts. Score...

Now I am like this is it, I am doing copper on these.....I am still going to be into these for a lot more money than I wanted or thought but I am deeming it a worthy set to go down the rabbit hole on. My back was not good last year and while it doesn’t help a ton, it helps....I am going graphite, I love the recoil proto 110s, and I am outfitting these with the JDM only attas 10s iron shafts...I am hoping they are even better....I really hope this set is more than beauty queens. The copper will patina, so a total different look when done. I am really Excited about this build...

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
    edited Apr 22, 2019 5:30pm #83

@rgk5 said:

@Forged4ever said:
    These are for @BIG STU

🐣 Brother👊

Cheers🍻
    RP

I shot 66 (36-30) with those MT blades. Loved 'em back in 1984.

That’s fantastic RG as these MT, like most of the older blades in this thread, are still kick a** today with the correct shaft in em. Madison loved these and had em reshafted with her regular shafts, the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105, and she is hitting them on the line and planning on putting em in the bag, though she did and said the same with the 69’s, lol. She’s gettin like guys on the board, lmao

I never Played em though a few Buds did, and one, Sean Knapp, the USGA Senior Am Champion in 2017 & Runner-Up last year, said that they are one of the three greatest irons that he’s ever bagged and absolutely the best pre-2000 blade.

Have a great season my Friend⛳️
    RP

• rgk5rgk5 rgk5(OLB) Members Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Richard. They were my second favorite Mac iron after the 985 Silver Scot although the MTs had a superior leading edge grind. Why the **** did MacGregor collapse? My guess is they joined the game improvement bandwagon too late

Cobra F8+, 10*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 15.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F3

Cobra F8 5-6 wood 17.5, Tensei Blue R
    Wilson Staff C300 4 hybrid, 21*, Fuji Pro 82 R
    Ping Eye 2 BeCu 4-pw, Microtaper S
    Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

T. Made Hi Toe 58*, KBS Hi Rev
    Evnroll ER6

edited Apr 22, 2019 6:00pm #85

@rgk5 said:
    Thanks Richard. They were my second favorite Mac iron after the 985 Silver Scot although the MTs had a superior leading edge grind. Why the **** did MacGregor collapse? My guess is they joined the game improvement bandwagon too late

I could spout my .03 worth though a lot of it is said much better & much more succinctly in this article, which I found to be fair, accurate and enlightening...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfweek.com/2009/12/14/macgregor-demise-american-classic/amp/

Stay well👊
    Richard

• mizunoMP14mizunoMP14 IndianaMembers Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Macgregor PMB
    MP-14
    MP-4

M4 10.5* Aldila Copperhead 70tx
    M3 3hl 17* Accra RPG 382 m5
    Apex Hybrid 20*  AD-DI 105x
    3 & 4 UDI Dynamic Gold 120
    5-pw Honma 737vn Dynamic Gold
    50* 56* 60* Vokey SM6 Dynamic Gold
    SeeMore FGP Deep Flange
  • GnomesteelGnomesteel Members Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rushfan96rushfan96 Members Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mizuno MP-29s. Close thread/

• deepreddeepred Members Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭

68 Staff Fluid Feel Dynapower, still my favorite but the F100 and the newest Staff blades look fantastic.

Wilson Staff M3 4-GW
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    Wilson Fybrid 15*
    KE4 5 wood
    Maltby SW54, black
    Snake Eyes SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ram Zebra deep face, black
  • FairwayzNGreenzFairwayzNGreenz Members Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

Adams MB2 or Fourteen Fh1000. Best there are period

M3 9.5 Tensei Pro Orange 60 tx
    Epic Flash 15* Tensei Pro Orange 70 tx