Aeration

MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,668 ✭✭

How long do you guys figure it should take aerated greens to tighten up and roll true? It’s been three weeks at my course, and it’s still like putting on a peg board.

Comments

• FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers Posts: 837 ✭✭

My course aerated the greens about 3 weeks ago as well and they're still bad... and we've had almost ideal grass growing weather. In my experience it's about a month or so...

GO DAWGS
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,868 ClubWRX

The healing time is really dependent on night-time temperatures. A superintendent once told me that night temps need to be consistently above 55* before the greens are aerated. If the greens are aerated before temps get high enough at night, healing time can be extensive.

Unfortunately, we aerated about three weeks ago as well and its still Plinko out there.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,668 ✭✭

Thanks. I guess my situation isn’t so unusual after all.

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,232 ClubWRX

It also depends on the size of the aeration holes and the top dressing program after the aeration.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • MalvernMalvern Members Posts: 431 ✭✭
    edited Apr 19, 2019 2:36am #6

We only do a large core/aeration once a year (previously twice), during the year we ninja tine https://ninjatines.com/
    Greens are lightly dusted afterwards, playing surfaces are great the following day and almost unnoticeable a week later. The big core also doesnt need to be as intrusive as years past, greens back and playable inside 2 weeks.

• mallratmallrat Members Posts: 2,913 ✭✭

We are 2-3 weeks with a good roll but still the look of spots. Generally a week out they are in decent shape. A lot depends on what is done, some course drag their cores back in (I don’t like this) and some clear them and topdress. Our biggest issue comes from the course being open the next day so the tractor and Dakota tires leave some ruts. Those are always rolled out within a week though.

• TexasTurfTexasTurf Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

It looks like you're in Maryland. Are your greens bent, poa, mix, or other?

The grass needs something to grow into, so if the holes aren't filled (topdressed) with sand then they will stay open ("peg board" sounds like you have holes on the greens, not thin spots). Fertilizer, irrigation, and good weather are also important.

Recently topdressed (sanded) greens actually roll much faster and truer than grassy greens without sand in the crown (if the sand is actually swept in).

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,668 ✭✭

@TexasTurf said:
    It looks like you're in Maryland. Are your greens bent, poa, mix, or other?

The grass needs something to grow into, so if the holes aren't filled (topdressed) with sand then they will stay open ("peg board" sounds like you have holes on the greens, not thin spots). Fertilizer, irrigation, and good weather are also important.

Recently topdressed (sanded) greens actually roll much faster and truer than grassy greens without sand in the crown (if the sand is actually swept in).

I honestly don't know what these green are. In this area, you'd think bent, but they have an early season fuzziness that I don't associate with bent. I recently learned that the tee boxes are Bermuda, which seems odd this far north. The greens were sanded and fertilized after coring, but the sand was irregularly swept in. Many of the holes are hollow.

• caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭

Our greens in Winston- Salem, NC are healing quickly. It's just been over a week, and in another week- 10 days they should be close to fully healed. We have had some nice warm weather, and some good rains. I would expect Maryland is far enough north that it is that much cooler that the healing will take a bit longer.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,001 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 8:42pm #11

@Socrates said:
    It also depends on the size of the aeration holes and the top dressing program after the aeration.

Yes, yes, yes. If a good job is done and you actually fully fill the holes with sand they will heal over rather quickly. If the whole hole is left empty you will have a dimple for a while. Drag the sand in from different directions and water it in as well. Shovel and sweep sand in any areas that get missed or partially filled. The devil is in the details.

• bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,654 ✭✭

Temperature at the time of aeration can play a big factor as well. A lot of public courses course in my area will set aerate on a set date. If a cold snap occurs during that time (which seems to occur more and more frequently), the greens take forever to heal. Thankfully, my club uses a micro injection method in the Spring, and our superintendent will only aerate when it's the proper temperature. Our greens are pristine in just a couple of weeks.

Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"