Who here has made their own putter?
I'm dabbling with the idea myself, and wondering who else has done so. I have a friend who owns a 5-axis CNC machine (amongst other CNC machines), mills, etc., which I would have access to. I would love to make an Anser 2 style putter for myself and my wife, and maybe some family members.
- Did you design your putter head yourself from "scratch"? Did you grab an "open source" file on a putter head and tweaked that?
- What program did you use to design your putter head? My friend with the machine shop recommends Master Cam
- How many "prototypes" did you have to make on the CNC before having a finished product you were happy with?
- What were the biggest hurdles you had to overcome in the creation of your putter? Anything you would do differently in the process if you were to do it all over again?
- Feel free to show off what you've made here, and what the process entailed (if you care to).
The idea of making a putter head myself for me and my wife is pretty intriguing, and I imagine could be a pretty rewarding experience. I would love to present myself a putter head that I made myself - I think that would be a cool gift. I'm lucky to have the machines and the brains behind the machines available as a resource - I would just have to provide a file for them to start with, and see where we need to go from there. I've never used software such as Master Cam, CAD, Solid Works, etc before, so initially there's going to be a big learning curve for that.
Let me know your thoughts and your experiences. I'm still at the initial phase, and trying to determine if it's worth my time and energy, be cool to hear some of your experiences to build up some further motivation.