Who here has made their own putter?

 kthomas ·  
kthomaskthomas  59WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 59 Bunkers
Joined:  in Putter Mods and Micro Putter Artisans #1

I'm dabbling with the idea myself, and wondering who else has done so. I have a friend who owns a 5-axis CNC machine (amongst other CNC machines), mills, etc., which I would have access to. I would love to make an Anser 2 style putter for myself and my wife, and maybe some family members.

  • Did you design your putter head yourself from "scratch"? Did you grab an "open source" file on a putter head and tweaked that?
  • What program did you use to design your putter head? My friend with the machine shop recommends Master Cam
  • How many "prototypes" did you have to make on the CNC before having a finished product you were happy with?
  • What were the biggest hurdles you had to overcome in the creation of your putter? Anything you would do differently in the process if you were to do it all over again?
  • Feel free to show off what you've made here, and what the process entailed (if you care to).

The idea of making a putter head myself for me and my wife is pretty intriguing, and I imagine could be a pretty rewarding experience. I would love to present myself a putter head that I made myself - I think that would be a cool gift. I'm lucky to have the machines and the brains behind the machines available as a resource - I would just have to provide a file for them to start with, and see where we need to go from there. I've never used software such as Master Cam, CAD, Solid Works, etc before, so initially there's going to be a big learning curve for that.

Let me know your thoughts and your experiences. I'm still at the initial phase, and trying to determine if it's worth my time and energy, be cool to hear some of your experiences to build up some further motivation.

Posted:
1

Comments

  • cforseliuscforselius  400WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 400 Greens
    Joined:  #2

    I have made a putter which I designed from scratch. I looked at photos of the Scotty Timeless as inspiration and went from there.

    I used Solidworks, mostly because I already spend 8 hours a day working in Solidworks so for me, it was very easy.

    I have only made one prototype so far, even though I have a few designs I would like to create in the future. The one I made, Im very happy with, looks perfect behind the ball with a nice feel.

    For me, finding a manufacturer was very tough, but since you got that covered, it should not be an issue. I would have made the putter more detailed, I left out alot of smoothening since it was cheaper, but I regret that now.

    Here is a few pics on my creation, if you have any questions, pleask ask.



    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kthomaskthomas  59WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 59 Bunkers
    Joined:  #3

    On -, @cforselius said:

    I have made a putter which I designed from scratch. I looked at photos of the Scotty Timeless as inspiration and went from there.

    I used Solidworks, mostly because I already spend 8 hours a day working in Solidworks so for me, it was very easy.

    I have only made one prototype so far, even though I have a few designs I would like to create in the future. The one I made, Im very happy with, looks perfect behind the ball with a nice feel.

    For me, finding a manufacturer was very tough, but since you got that covered, it should not be an issue. I would have made the putter more detailed, I left out alot of smoothening since it was cheaper, but I regret that now.

    Here is a few pics on my creation, if you have any questions, pleask ask.



    That looks great, love how that turned out!!

    Posted:
  • cforseliuscforselius  400WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 400 Greens
    Joined:  #4

    That looks great, love how that turned out!!

    Thank you!

    Posted:
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJ 4915WRX Points: 346Handicap: 9ClubWRX Posts: 4,915 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #5

    I used OnShape for CAD and made it from scratch. Had eMachineShop.com mill it.



    Posted:
    M6 9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
    TS2 15°  Diamana S+ Ltd 70
    790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
    0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *

    (¬¬)
    OLD--WITB Link
  • jriegerjrieger  16WRX Points: 33Members Posts: 16 Bunkers
    Joined:  #6

    Wow jokerusa that looks amazing. Would love to know how long that took and if your going to sell any in the future?

    Posted:
  • longballlongball  225WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 225 Fairways
    Joined:  edited Apr 21, 2019 #7

    On -, @jokerusn said:

    I used OnShape for CAD and made it from scratch. Had eMachineShop.com mill it.

    ")

    How much did emachine charge you to mill it?

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kthomaskthomas  59WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 59 Bunkers
    Joined:  #9

    Awesome, another great head! Love seeing these, gives me great inspiration!

    Now I just need to stumble my way through a software to design the head...

    Posted:
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJ 4915WRX Points: 346Handicap: 9ClubWRX Posts: 4,915 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Apr 21, 2019 #10

    On -, @jrieger said:

    Wow jokerusn that looks amazing. Would love to know how long that took and if your going to sell any in the future?

    Thanks! I'm very happy with how it turned out. The CAD started off as just a fun hobby. Didn't plan on building it but then the design had matured enough to where I got a quote. Took about a month of just design work, then a month of waiting for the machining. I got the pieces back a couple weeks ago and have been messing with them - sanding, grinding, etc. - ever since. I don't think I'll sell any going forward but it's not off the table.

    On -, @longball said:

    On -, @jokerusn said:

    I used OnShape for CAD and made it from scratch. Had eMachineShop.com mill it.

    >

    How much did emachine charge you to mill it?

    I'll PM you about it. No price talk allowed in the forums.

    Posted:
    M6 9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
    TS2 15°  Diamana S+ Ltd 70
    790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
    0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *

    (¬¬)
    OLD--WITB Link
  • cforseliuscforselius  400WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 400 Greens
    Joined:  #12

    On -, @kmay__ said:

    I've made one but its nowhere near to the level of some of these examples above. I had no access to any machining equipment so I made mine with torches, grinders, and a welding machine.

    I think yours is the coolest one here!

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada.  439WRX Points: 269Members Posts: 439 Greens
    Joined:  #13

    ^ Haha thanks man, hope to make a more refined version if I ever get any down time at work.

    Posted:
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5-PW (Mizuno MP-4 for fun)
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    PM Grind 60*
    Studio Select NP2 mid slant 
  • jtitleist12jtitleist12  3122WRX Points: 244Members Posts: 3,122 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #14

    Really, REALLY impressive work fellas!

    • Josh
    Posted:
  • cforseliuscforselius  400WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 400 Greens
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @kmay__ said:

    ^ Haha thanks man, hope to make a more refined version if I ever get any down time at work.

    I have a similar model waiting to be milled but my wallet does not agree.

    Posted:
  • bripgall3265bripgall3265 Denver 153WRX Points: 77Handicap: 10Members Posts: 153 Fairways
    Joined:  #16

    On -, @kmay__ said:

    I've made one but its nowhere near to the level of some of these examples above. I had no access to any machining equipment so I made mine with torches, grinders, and a welding machine.

    Absolutely beautiful!!! May I ask what type of steel you used???

    Posted:

    Nike Dymo SR8T FIT 10.5*
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro U 3 17* (set at 16)
    Callaway Rogue 4H 20

    Ping i-20 orange dot 5-9
    Vokey SM-4 Raw 46-08
    Vokey SM-5 Raw M Grind 50-04
    Vokey SM-5 Raw M Grind 54-14
    Vokey SM-5 Raw M Grind 58-04
    Odyssey Protype #6 340g / Gripmaster Signature Tour Black Grip
    Titleist Pro v1 (2017)
    Lamkin UTx .580 Blue

  • kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada.  439WRX Points: 269Members Posts: 439 Greens
    Joined:  #17

    ^ Just your most basic common hot rolled carbon steel flat bar, and the neck is made from a grade 8 steel bolt.

    Posted:
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5-PW (Mizuno MP-4 for fun)
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    PM Grind 60*
    Studio Select NP2 mid slant 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.