Preserving decal on crown when refurbishing

I have a LH Toney Penna persimmon on the way which I want to clean up .
The Toney Penna on the crown is not a pressing but a decal and I am in two minds on how I may be able to preserve it when stripping the original finish.
I used poly paint stripper with good results on some honma extra 90’s and intend using again.
I am thinking of either covering the decal with masking tape but that would leave the original finish between the letters OR brushing the stripper on the decal lightly and wiping away after a few seconds .
Any ideas greatly appreciated

Comments

• teevonsteevons Members Posts: 2,194 ✭✭

PM me, I have original decals

• TommixTommix Members Posts: 57 ✭✭

PM sent but dammed if I know if went. My PM shows in my inbox!!

Saved the decal in stripping the head but some of stripper got on plastic insert and melted sections.
    Hmmm that’s a challenge.
    Previous effort ( honma) has metal inserts.
    That’s a lesson for learners .poly Paint stripper melts plastic face inserts .

I think this is about as good as I can do.

• robert hornemanrobert horneman ClubWRX Posts: 1,039 ✭✭

Next time remove the soleplate and insert. 99.9% of the time they will be loose. It is hard to see that until you remove them. You did well for your first time.

@robert horneman said:
    Next time remove the soleplate and insert. 99.9% of the time they will be loose. It is hard to see that until you remove them. You did well for your first time.

Thanks for that . I thought about removing soleplate to clean it up but didn’t want to chance snapping screws.