An unmarked Sod Farm under the new rules?

Our local Muni has a sod farm just through and to the left of the fairway. The hole is a slight dog leg right (ever so slightly) and the sod area itself is somewhat protected by trees, so it is still getable if you hit it far and straight at it. Under the new rules of not being able to play from any green, even though this area is not marked as GUR or However it should be marked, is a player still able to play from this area or do they need to take relief regardless? I included a terrible picture of the area (circled red, you can kind of see the sod area) for reference.

q0jhgumbhwxr.jpeg

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Alright good to know. I need to ask the course about it though because it should be marked or at least mentioned on the scorecard as being an unplayable area esp since they cut that grass daily just like the greens.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

There's no way they want you playing from there, marked or not. If you're playing in an organized tournament, then you don't have much choice and need to go by the marking, there or not.

All other rounds do not play from there. I know you want to play by all rules all the time but do the grounds crew a favor and move your ball off that sod farm. Should it be marked? Yes, unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

• Like 1

> @xenocide1 said:

> There's no way they want you playing from there, marked or not. If you're playing in an organized tournament, then you don't have much choice and need to go by the marking, there or not.

>

> All other rounds do not play from there. I know you want to play by all rules all the time but do the grounds crew a favor and move your ball off that sod farm. Should it be marked? Yes, unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

Exactly. Common sense needs to come into play.

> @HitEmTrue said:

> Did the new rules change something about playing from a green?

>

This area is not a green (if you mean Putting Green). It has to be specially prepared for putting not just as a nursery for turf to be used for a putting green.

However, the rule relating to a Wrong Putting Green did change. Interference by a wrong putting green (where a

player is required to take relief) now includes interference with the area of intended stance or swing, as well as the lie of the ball.

If you were playing a tournament that area would be marked as a free drop. No sup. wants you hitting balls from the sod farm. People need to play the game with some common sense during every day rounds.

As a greenskeeper, I would be raising hell if I saw you hitting off the sod farm I use to repair the regular greens. Use common sense!

> @596 said:

> If you were playing a tournament that area would be marked as a free drop. No sup. wants you hitting balls from the sod farm. People need to play the game with some common sense during every day rounds.

>

> As a greenskeeper, I would be raising **** if I saw you hitting off the sod farm I use to repair the regular greens. Use common sense!

IMO that common sense needs to be used by the course management, not the players! Marking the course properly is important in order to give players a fair chance to play their rounds according to the Rules. As a greenkeeper you should know better, I believe.

• Like 1

I don’t use common sense when I play. I just play by the rules and play the course as I find it.

I’m certainly not taking an unplayable lie there if I have a shot, so I’d definitely play from the sod farm.

I do agree, however, it should be marked as GUR/No play zone. Put a string around it and attach a laminated sign, or use packaging tape and paper, and label it GUR/No play. Should take about 10 minutes to do.

If the groundscrew won’t spend that little bit of time to protect their sod farm, they deserve to have players play from it.

• Like 1

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > @596 said:

> > If you were playing a tournament that area would be marked as a free drop. No sup. wants you hitting balls from the sod farm. People need to play the game with some common sense during every day rounds.

> >

> > As a greenskeeper, I would be raising **** if I saw you hitting off the sod farm I use to repair the regular greens. Use common sense!

>

> IMO that common sense needs to be used by the course management, not the players! Marking the course properly is important in order to give players a fair chance to play their rounds according to the Rules. As a greenkeeper you should know better, I believe.

EVERYONE needs to use common sense. The biggest foul-up here is failure of Committee/Pro Shop/Greenkeeper to ensure there is appropriate marking/local rule - and if this is a permanent but unmarked/unlabelled "nursery/sod farm" that is truly an appalling state of affairs with multiple guilty parties (main one being the Committee - see Committee Procedures sections 1&2). But a player should also be using common sense, which I suggest means if it is casual play dropping off this turf and if it is competition play immediately ringing Pro Shop/Club/Referee to get immediate guidance. If no advice can be obtained, play as lies and draw it to attention of Pro/Club/Referee as soon as practicable.

> @596 said:

> If you were playing a tournament that area would be marked as a free drop. No sup. wants you hitting balls from the sod farm. People need to play the game with some common sense during every day rounds.

>

> As a greenskeeper, I would be raising **** if I saw you hitting off the sod farm I use to repair the regular greens. Use common sense!

Yes. I too wouldn’t hit off it. But. Before you jumped me if I did. You may consider who’s responsible for marking it to begin with. Having worked on a grounds crew for 5 plus years in my youth. I know that it’s the supers job ( or it falls on the super) a lot of the time to keep the course marked during normal play. Only usually see the pro or a committee member pay attention to it during tournament weeks.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @596 said:

> > If you were playing a tournament that area would be marked as a free drop. No sup. wants you hitting balls from the sod farm. People need to play the game with some common sense during every day rounds.

> >

> > As a greenskeeper, I would be raising **** if I saw you hitting off the sod farm I use to repair the regular greens. Use common sense!

>

> Yes. I too wouldn’t hit off it. But. Before you jumped me if I did. You may consider who’s responsible for marking it to begin with. Having worked on a grounds crew for 5 plus years in my youth. I know that it’s the supers job ( or it falls on the super) a lot of the time to keep the course marked during normal play. Only usually see the pro or a committee member pay attention to it during tournament weeks.

I only know a tournament is imminent or happened recently is if there is GUR marked on the course.

> @antip said:

> > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > @596 said:

> > > If you were playing a tournament that area would be marked as a free drop. No sup. wants you hitting balls from the sod farm. People need to play the game with some common sense during every day rounds.

> > >

> > > As a greenskeeper, I would be raising **** if I saw you hitting off the sod farm I use to repair the regular greens. Use common sense!

> >

> > IMO that common sense needs to be used by the course management, not the players! Marking the course properly is important in order to give players a fair chance to play their rounds according to the Rules. As a greenkeeper you should know better, I believe.

>

> EVERYONE needs to use common sense. The biggest foul-up here is failure of Committee/Pro Shop/Greenkeeper to ensure there is appropriate marking/local rule - and if this is a permanent but unmarked/unlabelled "nursery/sod farm" that is truly an appalling state of affairs with multiple guilty parties (main one being the Committee - see Committee Procedures sections 1&2). But a player should also be using common sense, which I suggest means if it is casual play dropping off this turf and if it is competition play immediately ringing Pro Shop/Club/Referee to get immediate guidance. If no advice can be obtained, play as lies and draw it to attention of Pro/Club/Referee as soon as practicable.

My old course had a sod farm adjacent to the 16th hole. I think they'd have you arrested if they saw you playing from it. It was understood that it was GUR even though it wasn't formally marked as such. It's too large an area to paint.

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @antip said:

> > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > @596 said:

> > > > If you were playing a tournament that area would be marked as a free drop. No sup. wants you hitting balls from the sod farm. People need to play the game with some common sense during every day rounds.

> > > >

> > > > As a greenskeeper, I would be raising **** if I saw you hitting off the sod farm I use to repair the regular greens. Use common sense!

> > >

> > > IMO that common sense needs to be used by the course management, not the players! Marking the course properly is important in order to give players a fair chance to play their rounds according to the Rules. As a greenkeeper you should know better, I believe.

> >

> > EVERYONE needs to use common sense. The biggest foul-up here is failure of Committee/Pro Shop/Greenkeeper to ensure there is appropriate marking/local rule - and if this is a permanent but unmarked/unlabelled "nursery/sod farm" that is truly an appalling state of affairs with multiple guilty parties (main one being the Committee - see Committee Procedures sections 1&2). But a player should also be using common sense, which I suggest means if it is casual play dropping off this turf and if it is competition play immediately ringing Pro Shop/Club/Referee to get immediate guidance. If no advice can be obtained, play as lies and draw it to attention of Pro/Club/Referee as soon as practicable.

>

> My old course had a sod farm adjacent to the 16th hole. I think they'd have you arrested if they saw you playing from it. It was understood that it was GUR even though it wasn't formally marked as such. It's too large an area to paint.

Marking GUR is useful, but technically unnecessary. As long as the Committee identifies it as such, it’s GUR.

> @Sawgrass said:

> Marking GUR is useful, but technically unnecessary. As long as the Committee identifies it as such, it’s GUR.

It should be something as simple as dictating it on the scorecard yes? It’s not as if this sod farm is new either. It’s been a sod farm for as long as I’ve been playing this course and I believe, although it isn’t huge in size, it’s used for both of the 18 hole courses that are in the complex.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @LeoLeo99 said:

> > > @antip said:

> > > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > If you were playing a tournament that area would be marked as a free drop. No sup. wants you hitting balls from the sod farm. People need to play the game with some common sense during every day rounds.

> > > > >

> > > > > As a greenskeeper, I would be raising **** if I saw you hitting off the sod farm I use to repair the regular greens. Use common sense!

> > > >

> > > > IMO that common sense needs to be used by the course management, not the players! Marking the course properly is important in order to give players a fair chance to play their rounds according to the Rules. As a greenkeeper you should know better, I believe.

> > >

> > > EVERYONE needs to use common sense. The biggest foul-up here is failure of Committee/Pro Shop/Greenkeeper to ensure there is appropriate marking/local rule - and if this is a permanent but unmarked/unlabelled "nursery/sod farm" that is truly an appalling state of affairs with multiple guilty parties (main one being the Committee - see Committee Procedures sections 1&2). But a player should also be using common sense, which I suggest means if it is casual play dropping off this turf and if it is competition play immediately ringing Pro Shop/Club/Referee to get immediate guidance. If no advice can be obtained, play as lies and draw it to attention of Pro/Club/Referee as soon as practicable.

> >

> > My old course had a sod farm adjacent to the 16th hole. I think they'd have you arrested if they saw you playing from it. It was understood that it was GUR even though it wasn't formally marked as such. It's too large an area to paint.

>

> Marking GUR is useful, but technically unnecessary. As long as the Committee identifies it as such, it’s GUR.

The committee assumes anyone with half a brain knows not to play from it.

> @Shipwreck said:

> > @Sawgrass said:

> > Marking GUR is useful, but technically unnecessary. As long as the Committee identifies it as such, it’s GUR.

>

> It should be something as simple as dictating it on the scorecard yes? It’s not as if this sod farm is new either. It’s been a sod farm for as long as I’ve been playing this course and I believe, although it isn’t huge in size, it’s used for both of the 18 hole courses that are in the complex.

Sure, the scorecard would do. Or putting a note on the starter's office, or even a single stake at the entrance to the farm with sharpie writing saying, "Sod Farm is GUR/No Play" would suffice (if it's obvious where the area's limits are). Given its permanence, why not allow customers free relief in this simple way? I don't really see why staking it out would be a problem either, perhaps with rope between the stakes. Everyone wins, free relief + customers taking care of the new grass.

But for your personal peace of mind, all you have to do is ask someone who speaks for the Course Committee how they want this area dealt with, and if they say "GUR/No Play" at least you'll be able to safely take free relief for all of your casual rounds -- then ask the Competition Committee if you're in a formal comp.

• Like 1

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @Sawgrass said:

> > > @LeoLeo99 said:

> > > > @antip said:

> > > > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > > If you were playing a tournament that area would be marked as a free drop. No sup. wants you hitting balls from the sod farm. People need to play the game with some common sense during every day rounds.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As a greenskeeper, I would be raising **** if I saw you hitting off the sod farm I use to repair the regular greens. Use common sense!

> > > > >

> > > > > IMO that common sense needs to be used by the course management, not the players! Marking the course properly is important in order to give players a fair chance to play their rounds according to the Rules. As a greenkeeper you should know better, I believe.

> > > >

> > > > EVERYONE needs to use common sense. The biggest foul-up here is failure of Committee/Pro Shop/Greenkeeper to ensure there is appropriate marking/local rule - and if this is a permanent but unmarked/unlabelled "nursery/sod farm" that is truly an appalling state of affairs with multiple guilty parties (main one being the Committee - see Committee Procedures sections 1&2). But a player should also be using common sense, which I suggest means if it is casual play dropping off this turf and if it is competition play immediately ringing Pro Shop/Club/Referee to get immediate guidance. If no advice can be obtained, play as lies and draw it to attention of Pro/Club/Referee as soon as practicable.

> > >

> > > My old course had a sod farm adjacent to the 16th hole. I think they'd have you arrested if they saw you playing from it. It was understood that it was GUR even though it wasn't formally marked as such. It's too large an area to paint.

> >

> > Marking GUR is useful, but technically unnecessary. As long as the Committee identifies it as such, it’s GUR.

>

> The committee assumes anyone with half a brain knows not to play from it.

My home course used to have two separate areas where turf for greens were grown. Lately one of them was discarded. No information whatsoever was shared but the stakes defining the one were removed.

Now, Leo, if neither of those areas had been marked, what kind of brain needs a person have to know if it is allowed to play from either of those? Think carefully before you answer.

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @Newby said:

> > > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > > If it is maintained at putting green height, does that not make it a wrong putting green?

> > See Definition of Putting Green

> >

> See definition of wrong green!

>

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

Agree, the wrong green definition is the place to go. And it starts with the words "Any green..".