Anyone on here ever played 100 holes in a single day?

cvvorstcvvorst ClubWRX Posts: 3,202 ClubWRX

I'm playing in a charity event next week. A group of golfers are playing 100 holes in a single day. (The idea is to get people to donate a set amount of money per hole, with every single cent going to help trafficked women) I have played 36 holes many times, but I've never attempted anything more than that. Has anyone played four to five rounds of 18 holes? What can i expect for those last couple of rounds? Any tips for making it easier on my body? I expect I will be ready to collapse by the end!

Ping G400 Max - Accra RPG 462 M5 or Accra TZ6 75 M5 or Diamana DF 60 TX
Ping G400 Stretch - Diamana BF 80 TX
PXG Gen 2 - 0311X 2 Iron HZRDUS 105 6.5
PXG 0311X - 4 Iron HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
PXG 0311T - 5 to PW - C Taper 130 X
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks SM6 RAW - 50F - 54S - 58 Links K
Ping Ketsch TR - Bettinardi BB0 Texas Tea - Bettinardi QB9 - TP Mills Ming Anvil Flow Neck

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,356 ✭✭

Please tell me carts are involved LoL

Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,016 ✭✭
    edited Apr 19, 2019 6:56pm #3

Yes I walked 146 holes in one day for a charity event a few years ago. The course was closed I was the only one out there and played 27 holes in the dark. No tips for making it easier on your body your gonna be dead tired after!

Post edited by FairwayFred on
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • eebombeebomb Members Posts: 544 ✭✭

I feel like I've just got out of the octagon of an mma fight after 36 don't even want to think about how 100 would feel

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,309 ClubWRX

@FairwayFred said:
    Yes I walked 146 holes in one day for a charity event a few years ago. No tips for making it easier on your body your gonna be dead tired after!

146 holes walking is freaking amazing. I walked 72 once and that emptied the tank.

• Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,639 ✭✭
    edited Apr 19, 2019 4:12pm #6

72 was the most I ever did in a day, otherwise I've never done more than 36. Walked the first 18 and rode the remaining 54. I was much younger then. It probably also helped that the course was wide open for the middle 36 holes, was able to finish those 36 in about 4 hours with no waiting/sitting around in the sun. I would not plan on playing the day before or after the event for sure. I would pack my bag with a lot of small snacks to eat throughout the day. Find out what the on-course drinking water/beverage situation is going to be ahead of time. I would imagine they will have ample water/sports drinks for the participants on the course but you don't want to get there and find out they only have it at the clubhouse or it's $5 for a bottle of water and the course keeps the money.

If there is going to be time to change between 18's, I'd probably bring extra socks and golf shoes, then change to fresh ones at least after the first and second 36. Especially if the course tends to be wet or you get a lot of morning dew in your area. It would be awful to play 72+ holes in wet socks and shoes.

• GolfNuts4GolfNuts4 Members Posts: 720 ✭✭

I played 126 holes in a charity event on June 21st (longest day of the year). We took carts and had a flag on our cart, so others on the course knew what we were doing and would let us through. I was tired, you actually don't care how you are playing, just advancing the ball as fast as you can. Enjoy the day, don't worry about how you play and know you are doing it for a worthy cause.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
    Callaway Big Bertha (2004) 5 wood
    Ping G30 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 56/60
    Scotty Cameron Monterey
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,888 ✭✭

Nope.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway GBB Alpha 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Gw/Sw/Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,234 ✭✭

That doesn't sound like much fun.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • golfpunk59golfpunk59 Members Posts: 424 ✭✭

I do it every year as a fundraiser for MS, usually we get to 100 and just end up doing the remaining 8 to make it 6 full rounds. 126 is the most we've played in a day.

In Calgary around the solstice sunrise is about 0520 and civil twilight not till 2240 ish so more than 16 hours available to play. We are usually done the first 27 holes before the first tee time but we have a marshal part the seas in front of us as the day gets moving.

Our rules are walk the first and last 9 holes ride the rest but I have walked the entire 100 twice.

Driver: 9* M3 440 Fuji Pro Tour Spec 63x
    3 Wood: 17* M1 HZRDUS Red 6.5 
    3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
    Irons: 4-PW 716 MB Tour Issue DG AMT X100 
    Wedges: SM6 52* F 58* D Dynamic Gold S400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 991 ✭✭

@FairwayFred said:
    Bringing extra socks is the best advice I can give as I think about it more. Extra shoes would be good too but I did change my socks every few hours which was a great idea.

I have a friend who is retired army ranger who does a sock change midday whenever there's some physical event. Says it feels like new feet.

Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,624 ✭✭

I did that twice for American Cancer Society in early 1990's. Had a cart for ourselves, course was closed on Mondays so we used that day for that fundraiser. Yes, we were whooped at end of the day but it's for a good cause.

Walk 146 holes in a day? Wow, that is an amazing feat. I know my legs will quit on me after 3-4 rounds.

My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    917F2 16.5* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
    816H1 19 & 23 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    Z585 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
    TM MG Bronze, 56* & 60*
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"

• cvvorstcvvorst ClubWRX Posts: 3,202 ClubWRX

I will be on a cart for the entire tournament!

Right now it looks like the high is around 73 to 75 degrees. It should be 54 degrees when we start at 730am, so I may end up wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt under my Polo for the first round. Switch to shorts and a shirt for the last five to six.

Great call regarding the change of clothes, and especially socks and shoes.

Ping G400 Max - Accra RPG 462 M5 or Accra TZ6 75 M5 or Diamana DF 60 TX
    Ping G400 Stretch - Diamana BF 80 TX
    PXG Gen 2 - 0311X 2 Iron HZRDUS 105 6.5
    PXG 0311X - 4 Iron HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    PXG 0311T - 5 to PW - C Taper 130 X
    Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks SM6 RAW - 50F - 54S - 58 Links K
    Ping Ketsch TR - Bettinardi BB0 Texas Tea - Bettinardi QB9 - TP Mills Ming Anvil Flow Neck
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 820 ✭✭

I played 154 one day in a marathon for life charity outing. Everyone has their own cart and you hit and go with your 3 some, hit when ready, play through slower groups on the fly. No lineIng up putts or practice swings. Sun up til sun down. The people who said they would sponsor you at $5 a hole got a big surprise

• GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭

Walked 18 holes on 3 different courses during the longest summer day of the year for 20 straight years. This i can’t stress enough..... hydrate the day before and during your marathon golf. Your body will thank you the next day. Playing ALOT of golf and helping those less fortunate, sounds good. WTG

• lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,332 ✭✭

When I was 20....it was a charity thing and one long hot miserable experience.

We finished in the dark.

SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • Drewmiller07Drewmiller07 Members Posts: 153 ✭✭

72 max. Let us know how it goes

• golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,305 ✭✭

I’ve done it and second the suggestion about changing shoes and socks. I’d change the socks after every round, it actually makes a huge difference. No old socks, either, you want as much cushion as you can get.

Start hydrating two days beforehand. Even if it’s not that hot, the long day will dehydrate you and affect your energy level. You can’t just drink the day of and hope to feel ok.

You have to move, no single shot really matters. No looking for balls, putts get one look, ready golf. We did it in June, close to the longest day of the year; it’s going to be pretty tight this early.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • Loomis13Loomis13 Members Posts: 182 ✭✭

A buddy played 100 holes in a day for a charity event. Each birdie was worth so much money and each eagle was a different amount. Cool idea!

• ClambakeClambake Members Posts: 628 ✭✭

Did 126 once for a Meals on Wheels charity fundraiser in Calabasas. We had carts so it wasn’t too bad except that except there was a heat wave and the temps were high 90’s that day. Probably drank 2-3 gallons of water that day! It was a fun event and I was in a foursome with a couple actors who were fairly well known at the time. I ended up raising the most money through pledges for number of holes played, and won tickets to a few show tapings.

• elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,111 ✭✭

45 holes was my most on a single day. My back took a while to recover. Good luck with the challenge and stay fuelled and hydrated.

• GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

I did 100 holes for FCA a while back. It was fun, but a long day. We played multiple balls on the par 3s to speed things along. I didn’t want to play golf for a long time after that.

• Radeon962Radeon962 ClubWRX Posts: 1,937 ClubWRX

Most I ever played was 47 at Arcadia Bluffs back when the spring rate was $75. We played 18 in the AM, ate lunch, played an afternoon 18 and then scrambled until dark. I was a lot younger then as I would not even want to attempt that now.

• wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 5:11am #26

@FairwayFred said:
    Yes I walked 146 holes in one day for a charity event a few years ago. The course was closed I was the only one out there and played 27 holes in the dark. No tips for making it easier on your body your gonna be dead tired after!

Now that is outrageous!

Edit: read on past this. Wow a bunch of maniacs out there did this for charity. I am impressed. And tired just reading it. I am betting the Aleve bottle gets a good workout in that many holes.

Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,432 ✭✭

One year our DOG committed to playing 108 holes for the local high school. He showed up barely able to walk with a back issue. I played the first 18, opened the golf shop while our head pro played 36, I played the next 36 and our GM played the last 18. The local paper wrote an article about our Director of Golf and his efforts to raise money for the high school golf team. He wasn’t on the property for more than 20 minutes and all of the donations came from members that were asked by the golf shop staff. None of the people who actually played golf or raised funds were mentioned in the article.

• RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,061 ClubWRX

I used to play 54 during the summer in Palm Springs when I was younger and it took a toll. It got pretty hot so we took a beating and looked like boiled lobsters afterwards.

I agree with others about a complete change of clothes and shoes (including underwear) and force yourself to drink water or Gatorade. Don’t forget to use and reapply sunblock and consider using sports tape on your fingers.

Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • Zz24hoursZz24hours Members Posts: 116 ✭✭

Did it once in an annual tournament on a nearby course

4 rounds from 4:30 am to 9 pm, NO carts allowed. New flights every round, gunstarts. Every round was allowed to last 3:30, then everyone should find their next gunstart. Lunch between rounds 2 and 3 and the hardest part was getting up and going again after that :wink:

Shins hurt the most, it is a very hilly course.

Dont see the point in racing the course in a cart, not playing for a score. :neutral:

• clichecliche Members Posts: 758 ✭✭

no practice swings

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    One year our DOG committed to playing 108 holes for the local high school. He showed up barely able to walk with a back issue. I played the first 18, opened the golf shop while our head pro played 36, I played the next 36 and our GM played the last 18. The local paper wrote an article about our Director of Golf and his efforts to raise money for the high school golf team. He wasn’t on the property for more than 20 minutes and all of the donations came from members that were asked by the golf shop staff. None of the people who actually played golf or raised funds were mentioned in the article.

So your answer is No?