Tiger wins. Can't find a spot in the muni parking lot now.

BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,127 ✭✭

I was reminded this past few days of the time when I took up golf. I think it was a little more than 2 decades ago. Tiger had hit the scene and they were building courses all around here like crazy. Multiple great practice facilities sprung up around town too to take part in the boom. Since then I've seen a few courses fold. It's been easier and easier to get a tee time, vs 20 years ago. ****...I remember not being able to call a couple days early and getting a Saturday tee time. But, Tiger, as we all know, just won The Masters again. Hugged his kids this time at the same spot where he hugged his dad. This week the parking lot at our mega-muni mega night range place is full. Even during times when most of us are at work. Pretty neat to see, I have to say. So...yeah...I understand what they mean when they say Tiger's good for golf. I think his popularity might have brought out the gumbas ("MASHED POTATOES!") fans. But, he seems to make the game popular. Last night at our range practice sessions I saw a lot of people I've never seen before. Many guys around 30 who are taking up the game, wrestling with trying to figure out how a swing happens, etc...

There's my Friday editorial...

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Ping G400 5-wood
Taylormade Spider blade
Srixon Z Star
IPA

Comments

• lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,238 ✭✭

Unfortunately I haven't noticed any increase in play around here.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • mcputtermcputter Members Posts: 935 ✭✭

Where are you at? Spring might have something to do with that too.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭

My local course absolutely exploded post-Masters. I stopped by on Thursday in the morning on a rainy day and it was packed. Yesterday was a zoo. Course play was down early season and now it looks like mid-summer.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 14.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,360 ✭✭

Hard for me to say.....The Masters coincides with the beginning of our season so the courses are usually packed, if they are open that is.

But usually the ones that are, late April is a zoo

Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,073 ✭✭

I mean, during this time of year, Haggin (if I'm guessing right) is always packed with the expo coming up.

But yeah, courses around, not just Haggin have seen some more people. Absolutely helped by the fact that the weather is gorgeous

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,803 ✭✭

Yep. I asked my clubs GM. Rounds up 30% last week. We are semi private club. So it’s public rounds that he tracks closest. Played 9 wed afternoon With our pro. We had to wait till 230 to get out. That isn’t normal on a wed afternoon. Our golf season started 60 days ago.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • NJGolfer0624NJGolfer0624 Members Posts: 112 ✭✭

@mcputter said:

YAH THINK??? Lol
    I’m sure Tiger winning coupled along with time of the year and an early spring in the Northeast, are all factors!

• Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 460 ✭✭

Oooh, so terrible. People are getting back into golf. Let’s do whatever is possible to make it unpopular again and hope they close courses due to lack of play.

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,376 ✭✭

@bladehunter said:
    Yep. I asked my clubs GM. Rounds up 30% last week. We are semi private club. So it’s public rounds that he tracks closest. Played 9 wed afternoon With our pro. We had to wait till 230 to get out. That isn’t normal on a wed afternoon. Our golf season started 60 days ago.

Lol, TW win Masters and all the 40 plus year olds are like

Huh?

I gotta hit the gym!
    Hit the range!
    Hit the course!

• BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,206 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 5:26pm #16

It's always busy in the spring, especially when the weather gets better. The Masters has always signified the start of golf season in many regions--- so yeah it makes sense that golf course and ranges are busy.

• CwingCwing Members Posts: 8,047 ✭✭

Better economic conditions- check mark. Tiger wins- check mark! Both are good for golf.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,755 ✭✭

My public course was empty when I played Friday afternoon. Now the ground was so wet there were no carts allowed and it was 47 with a 25 mph wind out of the north, but it was empty.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,136 ✭✭

The hyperbole... my lord

• lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,136 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 9:40pm #20

@MtlJeff said:
    Hard for me to say.....The Masters coincides with the beginning of our season so the courses are usually packed, if they are open that is.

But usually the ones that are, late April is a zoo

Exactly. Golf international 2000 at the border was jammed a week before the masters because theyre always the first in quebec to open.

Post edited by lowheel on
  • MPSgolfsMPSgolfs Members Posts: 76 ✭✭

I played last Monday, the day after the win, and the driving range was absolutely packed for a weekday afternoon . Guy in the pro shop said one word, 'Tiger.'

• BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,206 ✭✭

Utterly silly thinking a TW win made the range or course full... Absolutely silly.

• mankumanku Members Posts: 704 ✭✭

Playing Woodley Lakes, which no one will confuse with ANGC, in 3:15 and 3:45 last two weeks.
    I have ZERO desire to see golf regain the popularity of 20 years ago...courses in LA were parking lots.

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,714 ✭✭

Typically can jump on my course without issue after 1:00 and the last two rounds since Tiger won have had a foursome on every hole. I can handle 4 hour rounds (usual round is 2 1/2 hours), but 5 1/2 is way too long.

Can’t wait for Florida’s heat to thin out the herd.

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • flip flappyflip flappy Members Posts: 915 ✭✭

My home course has seen an increase in play since Tiger won as well. Not just the course, but the range with parents and children. We have had a mild spring so golf weather has been great for a while. I noticed when I played Thursday evening that there some groups ahead of me that were hacking it up pretty good, from the blue tees no less. Had to chuckle at one of the guys that was looking for his tee ball 2 fairways over!

Ping G400 Max 10.5
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
    Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
    Ping B65 Cadence
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,590 ✭✭

One of the ranges I go to is always a zoo. I don’t think these people own TVs! Help me!
    Lol

• lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,238 ✭✭

@mcputter said:

NW Illinois. The weather has been pretty good and people are playing but I can't say it's full of people I've never seen. Usual suspects.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
This discussion has been closed.