First Time I Played 18 With Grandson

RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,061 ClubWRX

He's 11 and we've gone to the range a few times but have never played a round before. He and his sis are here for the week and he brought his clubs so he could play with grandpa. We went to my course when it was fairly slow and had a great time. His dad has him well on his way to being a good golfer with proper etiquette, and he dresses for the part too. He had a couple of firsts today which was really fun for me to watch. He hit his longest drive yet at 222 and he had a par on a legit par 3 hole at 178 yards. Hit his driver to the front of the green, had a really nice PW chip and drained a 6 ft putt. He was pretty jacked up over that.

On 16 we caught up to another twosome who invited us to join them but I declined as I was having too much fun. He thinks I'm a pro now because I had a pretty good round at +3. I was happy he saw me play well instead of some of the clunker rounds I've been posting lately. Although in all honesty, I think he was probably more impressed that everything was comp (I work at the course) and he couldn't believe they just gave him a drink at the turn.

I've played with his dad and uncles a lot over the years but I think this was one of the more enjoyable rounds. Looking forward to the summer when he comes back.

Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
Ping Glide 60* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
 Scotty CameronFastback
Gamegolf
https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Comments

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,652 ✭✭

Awesome! Looks like it was a sparkling day for your first of many rounds with your grandson!

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

Great stuff. This is what it’s all about.

• dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,135 ✭✭

Thanks for sharing! Your course looks awesome and your grandson looks like he's on his way to becoming a good player...that's a pretty darn good looking position at the top of his backswing!

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • buzzthecatbuzzthecat OHMembers Posts: 47 ✭✭

Great story. He'll remember that forever. I say that with confidence because I can still vividly remember my first par.

• Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,868 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 20, 2019 11:55am #6

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think the grandfather-grandson relationship is truly a special one. I know I greatly admired both of my grandfathers as a kid. One was an avid golfer that used to keep clubs and balls around for the kids to play with in the back yard. He had a large yard and would cut holes for us to use. I never got the chance to play golf with him as I became preoccupied with music. He passed when I was 18. I think of him often when I'm on the course.

I have a 3 year old grandson who I took to the course for the first time last weekend. He has little plastic putter and plastic golf balls. I also work part-time at a course so I took him to an isolated green and we spent about a half hour putting. He would watch me putt and then he would put his ball about 3-4" from the hole and knock it in. I would high-five him and praise him and he really seemed to love it and didn't want to leave. I'm hoping he continues to enjoy the game.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • BicknellCCBicknellCC Members Posts: 1,367 ✭✭

Reading that made me feel good RS,
    Most of us older guys on here can relate. Glad you had a great outing with your Grandson, and thanks for posting about it.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,676 ClubWRX

Whoa, give me a piece of that nice look at the top!

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,660 ✭✭

The next generation of golfers is coming from this age group.

• KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Members Posts: 322 ✭✭

Thank you for sharing!! I have to agree with the other guys here it looks like that boy is going to be good at this game someday. Just heard a guy say "if you want to know how good of a parent you were then you have to wait and see what your grandkids end up being like". That being the case it looks like you did a great job! Hats off to you.

• sunbeltgolfersunbeltgolfer Members Posts: 478 ✭✭

Nice story. It takes me back a few years to my youngest grandson and I golfing. He's now out of college and we don't get to spend much time together anymore. Fun to see because I know how much it must mean to you for quality time on the course with him. Enjoy it while you can. Time really flies once they get to this point in life.

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,312 ClubWRX

This is everything that is right about golf. A game for any age. Congrats on a great round for both of you and hope you have many more rounds together!

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,832 ✭✭

outstanding !

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭

Did you tell your grandson you posted this here? You might... he might get a kick out of seeing it and maybe reading everyone's enthusiasm for this...

Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 432 ✭✭

Thank you for sharing sir! I really hope to experience this myself and realize there are so many things to look forward to.

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX

Awesome RS! Eagerly awaiting that here.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,127 ✭✭

That's very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons