First Time I Played 18 With Grandson

RSinSG ·  
RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA) 3345WRX Points: 418Handicap: 7.2ClubWRX Posts: 3,345 ClubWRX

He's 11 and we've gone to the range a few times but have never played a round before. He and his sis are here for the week and he brought his clubs so he could play with grandpa. We went to my course when it was fairly slow and had a great time. His dad has him well on his way to being a good golfer with proper etiquette, and he dresses for the part too. He had a couple of firsts today which was really fun for me to watch. He hit his longest drive yet at 222 and he had a par on a legit par 3 hole at 178 yards. Hit his driver to the front of the green, had a really nice PW chip and drained a 6 ft putt. He was pretty jacked up over that.

On 16 we caught up to another twosome who invited us to join them but I declined as I was having too much fun. He thinks I'm a pro now because I had a pretty good round at +3. I was happy he saw me play well instead of some of the clunker rounds I've been posting lately. Although in all honesty, I think he was probably more impressed that everything was comp (I work at the course) and he couldn't believe they just gave him a drink at the turn.

I've played with his dad and uncles a lot over the years but I think this was one of the more enjoyable rounds. Looking forward to the summer when he comes back.

Posted:
Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
Ping Glide 60* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
 Scotty CameronFastback
Gamegolf
https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Comments

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 3153WRX Points: 541Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 3,153 Titanium Tees

Awesome! Looks like it was a sparkling day for your first of many rounds with your grandson!

Posted:

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Diamana ZF 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Callaway Chrome Soft X 

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolfSRQGolfSRQ  103WRX Points: 78Handicap: 12Members Posts: 103 Fairways

Great stuff. This is what it’s all about.

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5792WRX Points: 1,330Members Posts: 5,792 Titanium Tees

Thanks for sharing! Your course looks awesome and your grandson looks like he's on his way to becoming a good player...that's a pretty darn good looking position at the top of his backswing!

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • buzzthecatbuzzthecat OH 88WRX Points: 106Handicap: 2Members Posts: 88 Fairways

Great story. He'll remember that forever. I say that with confidence because I can still vividly remember my first par.

Posted:
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX  8953WRX Points: 307Handicap: lowClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,953 ClubWRX

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think the grandfather-grandson relationship is truly a special one. I know I greatly admired both of my grandfathers as a kid. One was an avid golfer that used to keep clubs and balls around for the kids to play with in the back yard. He had a large yard and would cut holes for us to use. I never got the chance to play golf with him as I became preoccupied with music. He passed when I was 18. I think of him often when I'm on the course.

I have a 3 year old grandson who I took to the course for the first time last weekend. He has little plastic putter and plastic golf balls. I also work part-time at a course so I took him to an isolated green and we spent about a half hour putting. He would watch me putt and then he would put his ball about 3-4" from the hole and knock it in. I would high-five him and praise him and he really seemed to love it and didn't want to leave. I'm hoping he continues to enjoy the game.

Posted:
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway 815 Alpha 20* - Aldila Phenom 100X
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $ Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 60 - DGTI S400
    Toulon Garage San Diego
    Snell Black
  • BicknellCCBicknellCC  1453WRX Points: 1,093Members Posts: 1,453 Platinum Tees

Reading that made me feel good RS,
    Most of us older guys on here can relate. Glad you had a great outing with your Grandson, and thanks for posting about it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20457WRX Points: 4,367ClubWRX Posts: 20,457 ClubWRX

Whoa, give me a piece of that nice look at the top!

Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-Maryland 2498WRX Points: 1,108Members Posts: 2,498 Platinum Tees

The next generation of golfers is coming from this age group.

Posted:
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry area 412WRX Points: 160Handicap: ManyMembers Posts: 412 Greens

Thank you for sharing!! I have to agree with the other guys here it looks like that boy is going to be good at this game someday. Just heard a guy say "if you want to know how good of a parent you were then you have to wait and see what your grandkids end up being like". That being the case it looks like you did a great job! Hats off to you.

Posted:
  • sunbeltgolfersunbeltgolfer Beech Mountain 498WRX Points: 79Members Posts: 498 Greens

Nice story. It takes me back a few years to my youngest grandson and I golfing. He's now out of college and we don't get to spend much time together anymore. Fun to see because I know how much it must mean to you for quality time on the course with him. Enjoy it while you can. Time really flies once they get to this point in life.

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25293WRX Points: 2,358Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,293 ClubWRX

This is everything that is right about golf. A game for any age. Congrats on a great round for both of you and hope you have many more rounds together!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan  10308WRX Points: 562Handicap: 12Members Posts: 10,308 Titanium Tees

outstanding !

Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P stnd. cord
    Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los Angeles 6007WRX Points: 693Members Posts: 6,007 Titanium Tees

Did you tell your grandson you posted this here? You might... he might get a kick out of seeing it and maybe reading everyone's enthusiasm for this...

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• TIM929TIM929 Los Angeles 1306WRX Points: 760Handicap: 11.1Members Posts: 1,306 Platinum Tees

Thank you for sharing sir! I really hope to experience this myself and realize there are so many things to look forward to.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0       Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood        whatevers stock              Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                 HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0       Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                      DG S300                          Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 52.12F (bent to 49.09)DG S400                           Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 56.10S                         DG S400                          Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 60.12D                        DG S400                           Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5  34" loft 6.5                       Pistolini Plus  
    Titleist PROV1                                 ball
    Kirkland sig                                     glove 
    FJ rain glove                                    glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14985WRX Points: 1,001ClubWRX Posts: 14,985 ClubWRX

Awesome RS! Eagerly awaiting that here.

Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole  1510WRX Points: 398Members Posts: 1,510 Platinum Tees

That's very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400, Tour Stiff, 8*
    Mizuno Forged JPX 900 Irons
    A Couple of Ping Glide Wedges
    Ping Anser G Putter
    Ping G400 5-Wood
    Snell MTB-X
    Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

Advertisement
  • LyinEyeLyinEye  320WRX Points: 152Members Posts: 320 Greens

The best!

Posted:

The body hits and the club strikes

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.