GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Gravity putter grip thoughts?

FredWomble ·  
FredWombleFredWomble Members  553WRX Points: 116Posts: 553 Golden Tee

I put one on my putter yesterday really for no reason than being curious, lol. First thing I noticed, initially anyway it just feels weird. The shape I mean. Unable to play this weekend but am going to try to get to the practice green. I understand the theory behind the design so I hope it works and hope I'll get accustomed to the different feeling of the grip shape.
Any other experiences?

Posted:
Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s 10.0
Cobra F8 3 with Aldila NV Blue 70 S 15.5
Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 5-6, MMC 7-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R
Scratch 1018 53 / Chikara 1 dot (51 degree)
Scratch 1018 KBS 56
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
Yes! Mollie with Sense R grip

Comments

• DNice26DNice26 Members  4252WRX Points: 186Posts: 4,252 Titanium Tees

I bought one in the same fashion as yourself, curiosity. I agree, it feels odd. I have not spent much time with it and do intend to take it back off. I put it on my backup putter, so I may not rush.

Posted:

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5, Ventus Velo Blue 6X, 45.25"
    TaylorMade SIM Ti 19, Diamana BF Blue 8X
    Ping G410 19 hybrid, Tensai Blue 8X                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Titleist T100S 4 to PW, KBS C-Taper S+                                                                                                                                                                                                      TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)                                                                                                                                                                      Scotty Cameron Phantom 12, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DFinchDFinch Members  1531WRX Points: 324Handicap: 6.2Posts: 1,531 Platinum Tees

It takes some getting used to, at least for me. It's really deep, so it's a dramatically different feel in your hands compared to the more symmetrical "large" grips. I putted terribly with it the first 3 rounds I tried it. I had a phenomenal putting round the 4th time I used it. We'll see if that continues. Jury is still out for me and I think for a lot of people it will be a love it or hate it thing.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Ventus Black 6S 44.5" / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 14* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 17.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip
  • FredWombleFredWomble Members  553WRX Points: 116Posts: 553 Golden Tee

Thanks for the input, guys. I may try babolat tennis grip tape around mine. Would like to give it a few rounds to see if it clicks, but am prepared to rip off the band-aid if necessary. We'll see!

Posted:
    Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s 10.0
    Cobra F8 3 with Aldila NV Blue 70 S 15.5
    Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
    Mizuno MP 20 HMB 5-6, MMC 7-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R
    Scratch 1018 53 / Chikara 1 dot (51 degree)
    Scratch 1018 KBS 56
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
    Yes! Mollie with Sense R grip

• dvboydvboy Members  19WRX Points: 18Posts: 19 Bunkers

Is the gravity grip much larger than the standard Winn ProX 1.18 grip?Thinking about making the move,but the size/shape feedback on the gravity grip is holding me off.

Posted:
  • DFinchDFinch Members  1531WRX Points: 324Handicap: 6.2Posts: 1,531 Platinum Tees

On -, @dvboy said:

Is the gravity grip much larger than the standard Winn ProX 1.18 grip?Thinking about making the move,but the size/shape feedback on the gravity grip is holding me off.

It's normal "across" the flat, so front to back on the grip is your typical oversize type grip size.
    Its from the flat to the base, which sits in your fingers and where the rod/weight is, that is unusually "big". Think of gripping a steel ruler like you're going to hit a shot with it. Super narrow front to back but super deep from thumb pad to fingers. Obviously it's not that extreme. The idea is the shape and the weight in the fingers helps you feel the face angle. I think it works for that. The question is can you get used to the shape and is being able to feel the face angle better actually a good thing or is it better to just make a stroke?

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Ventus Black 6S 44.5" / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 14* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 17.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip
  • soderwoellsoderwoell Members  93WRX Points: 46Handicap: 25Posts: 93 Fairways

I realize this is an old thread, but I read it to make my decision to take the plunge with the Gravity Grip and am glad I did. I had it installed last night, and I absolutely love it. I had a regular pistol grip on my Odyssey Exo Rossie, which was not my favorite after the SuperStroke I had on my old 2 Ball putter. I liked the SuperStroke 2.0, but it was so light that I had difficulty judging speed. Although the shape of the Gravity Grip is pretty weird, I love the feel of it. The extra weight does make it much easier to square the putter face, and I feel like I have control of the speed and direction in ways I haven't for the last month. I'm playing tomorrow in much quicker greens than those on which I practiced today, so we'll see how that goes, but my first impressions are really positive. I also noticed on the Evnroll website that they have a "new" version of the GG with a more traditional shape.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SkeeterSkeeter Members  935WRX Points: 94Posts: 935 Golden Tee

Saw this post and searched the Evnroll site but couldn’t find mention of the new more standard shape. Any info would be appreciated

Posted:
  • milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members  79WRX Points: 62Handicap: 10Posts: 79 Fairways

same, I havn't been able to find the standard size grip

Posted:
  • zeromilepostzeromilepost Members  124WRX Points: 64Posts: 124 Fairways

Any more info on the new shape?

Posted:
  • YarraYarra Members  885WRX Points: 85Posts: 885 Golden Tee

Does anyone notice any performance benefit?

Posted:
  • BlkNGldBlkNGld Members  3082WRX Points: 233Posts: 3,082 Titanium Tees

I went to this from an iomic mid. It felt strange, but I adjusted pretty fast, more than a new putter.
    Keep in mind that part of its proposition in addition to keeping the lead hand square to the target is some counterweighting from the bar.

My thoughts on it are mixed. I think it does a good job of quelling last minute hand action, but it's also pointing out some flaws in my aiming that I probably compensated for in the past.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Demo1Demo1 Members  218WRX Points: 79Posts: 218 Fairways

I tried the Gravity Grip on my Ping Sigma G Kushin putter, but it didn't work for me. The main problem was a lack of feel for distance control. My solution was to remove the GG and replace it with a PP58 Midsize Black Cord grip. Distance control returned and that grip works better for me than any oversized grip I've tried.

Posted:
  • milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members  79WRX Points: 62Handicap: 10Posts: 79 Fairways

honestly not really a fan. Not a bad shape, I know some people hated it but I was a bit more indifferent. I really couldn't feel all the face squaring hype though.

Posted:
  • OLD_BONESOLD_BONES Chico, CAClubWRX  1820WRX Points: 41Handicap: HIGHPosts: 1,820 Platinum Tees

I wouldn’t buy this grip unless you have the opportunity to actually put it in your hands. It’s very different and I just installed one sight unseen. For $29 I’ll see what I think. Right now my favorite grip is the SuperStroke Triaxion 2.0.

Posted:
  • dingerz25dingerz25 Members  5WRX Points: 8Posts: 5 Bunkers

As with anything , it all depends on your style of putting and the putter you use. I have it on a toulon Portland and it's incredibly stable and accurate.

Posted:
  • dingerz25dingerz25 Members  5WRX Points: 8Posts: 5 Bunkers

As with anything , it all depends on your style of putting and the putter you use. I have it on a toulon Portland and it's incredibly stable and accurate.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ttm27ttm27 Members  1031WRX Points: 89Posts: 1,031 Platinum Tees

One thing I noticed when trying the gravity grip in stores is that it helps me reduce my “cut stroke.” I think the weight towards the back of the grip puts more weight “towards your body“ and the putter wants to come back more square or inside as opposed to taking the putter back outside which i have always struggled with. Just something I noticed. Going to install one - now just trying to figure out which of my 10 or so putters for try it on! Lol.

Posted:
  • MychMych Members  2271WRX Points: 433Posts: 2,271 Platinum Tees

I had a little bit of a breakthrough practicing at home with the gravity grip today. I have one on a wide-flange putter (Nike MC-04W, similar to Ody double wide or Scotty Squareback).

I've tinkered with using the claw technique in the past, but today I tried it with this grip and it felt amazing. The unique shape of the grip sat perfectly in my bottom hand using the "pencil" grip method. The consistency of line, speed, and centered contact was pretty remarkable.

Can't wait for a chance to try it out on the course.

Posted:
    Post edited by Mych on
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra F9 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Ping Sigma G Piper 3
  • Demo1Demo1 Members  218WRX Points: 79Posts: 218 Fairways

As I posted above, I tried a Gravity Grip on my Ping Sigma G Kushin and didn't like it. When tinkering last Fall, I decided to try it on my Cleveland HB #6, and that combination works really well! So, as with many things in golf(and life!), the effectiveness of the Gravity Grip can vary.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.