Gravity putter grip thoughts?

FredWombleFredWomble Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put one on my putter yesterday really for no reason than being curious, lol. First thing I noticed, initially anyway it just feels weird. The shape I mean. Unable to play this weekend but am going to try to get to the practice green. I understand the theory behind the design so I hope it works and hope I'll get accustomed to the different feeling of the grip shape.
Any other experiences?

Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s
Cobra F8 with Aldila NV Blue 70 S
Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 5-6, MMC 7-P Aerotech Steelfiber i80 S
Scratch 1018 KBS 53 and 56
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
Yes! Mollie, Nicky 

Comments

• DNice26DNice26 Members Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one in the same fashion as yourself, curiosity. I agree, it feels odd. I have not spent much time with it and do intend to take it back off. I put it on my backup putter, so I may not rush.

TaylorMade M6 10.5, Graphite Design 6X, 45.25"
    TaylorMade RBZ Tour Issue 18, Aldila Tour Blue 7X
    Ping G410 19 hybrid, Tensai Blue 8TX
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

• DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 3:49pm #3

It takes some getting used to, at least for me. It's really deep, so it's a dramatically different feel in your hands compared to the more symmetrical "large" grips. I putted terribly with it the first 3 rounds I tried it. I had a phenomenal putting round the 4th time I used it. We'll see if that continues. Jury is still out for me and I think for a lot of people it will be a love it or hate it thing.

Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 15.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • FredWombleFredWomble Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the input, guys. I may try babolat tennis grip tape around mine. Would like to give it a few rounds to see if it clicks, but am prepared to rip off the band-aid if necessary. We'll see!

Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s
    Cobra F8 with Aldila NV Blue 70 S
    Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
    Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 5-6, MMC 7-P Aerotech Steelfiber i80 S
    Scratch 1018 KBS 53 and 56
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
    Yes! Mollie, Nicky 

• dvboydvboy Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

Is the gravity grip much larger than the standard Winn ProX 1.18 grip?Thinking about making the move,but the size/shape feedback on the gravity grip is holding me off.

• DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dvboy said:
    Is the gravity grip much larger than the standard Winn ProX 1.18 grip?Thinking about making the move,but the size/shape feedback on the gravity grip is holding me off.

It's normal "across" the flat, so front to back on the grip is your typical oversize type grip size.
    Its from the flat to the base, which sits in your fingers and where the rod/weight is, that is unusually "big". Think of gripping a steel ruler like you're going to hit a shot with it. Super narrow front to back but super deep from thumb pad to fingers. Obviously it's not that extreme. The idea is the shape and the weight in the fingers helps you feel the face angle. I think it works for that. The question is can you get used to the shape and is being able to feel the face angle better actually a good thing or is it better to just make a stroke?

Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 15.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • soderwoellsoderwoell Members Posts: 64 ✭✭

I realize this is an old thread, but I read it to make my decision to take the plunge with the Gravity Grip and am glad I did. I had it installed last night, and I absolutely love it. I had a regular pistol grip on my Odyssey Exo Rossie, which was not my favorite after the SuperStroke I had on my old 2 Ball putter. I liked the SuperStroke 2.0, but it was so light that I had difficulty judging speed. Although the shape of the Gravity Grip is pretty weird, I love the feel of it. The extra weight does make it much easier to square the putter face, and I feel like I have control of the speed and direction in ways I haven't for the last month. I'm playing tomorrow in much quicker greens than those on which I practiced today, so we'll see how that goes, but my first impressions are really positive. I also noticed on the Evnroll website that they have a "new" version of the GG with a more traditional shape.

• SkeeterSkeeter Members Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this post and searched the Evnroll site but couldn’t find mention of the new more standard shape. Any info would be appreciated

• milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

same, I havn't been able to find the standard size grip

• zeromilepostzeromilepost Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

Any more info on the new shape?

• YarraYarra Members Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone notice any performance benefit?

• BlkNGldBlkNGld Members Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I went to this from an iomic mid. It felt strange, but I adjusted pretty fast, more than a new putter.
    Keep in mind that part of its proposition in addition to keeping the lead hand square to the target is some counterweighting from the bar.

My thoughts on it are mixed. I think it does a good job of quelling last minute hand action, but it's also pointing out some flaws in my aiming that I probably compensated for in the past.

• Demo1Demo1 Members Posts: 210 ✭✭✭

I tried the Gravity Grip on my Ping Sigma G Kushin putter, but it didn't work for me. The main problem was a lack of feel for distance control. My solution was to remove the GG and replace it with a PP58 Midsize Black Cord grip. Distance control returned and that grip works better for me than any oversized grip I've tried.

• milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

honestly not really a fan. Not a bad shape, I know some people hated it but I was a bit more indifferent. I really couldn't feel all the face squaring hype though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file