Reshaft MP-54s or buy new JPX 919 Forged

kfree1966kfree1966 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Currently gaming the MP-54 w/Project X 6.0s. Accidentally encountered a Mizuno fitting session at the PGA SS. The optimizer recommended KBS C-taper lite regular flex. Hit the shaft with 919 Forged. WOW what a combo. Tried other shafts but kept coming back. I took my 54s to the range after and realized how much harder I had to work to get them to perform. Also getting older (53) doesn't help. There is no way to try the 54s with the new shaft as the fitting carts no longer have the 54 head. Trying to decide do I change out the shafts on my 54s or just pickup the 919 Forged with the new shafts. If I go new, go I pickup the JPX 919 50 degree wedge or go with another option.

Thanks

Comments

• fkim011fkim011 Official Club Whore Irvine, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I would go new and use the JPX gap wedge too. By the time you reshaft your MP54, you're about 40% there with the cost and you have no idea if it will work well with your current gamer head.

• jbrunkjbrunk Central IllinoisMembers Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 20, 2019 6:11pm #3

Yeah, no guarantee that head-shaft combo will work the same as 54s as in 919F. More than likely, not. You could 1) reshaft a single MP-54 of yours; 2) acquire an MP-54 fitting head on eBay; 5) skip all that and just get the 919 Forged.
    This is precisely why I’m eager/not eager to try the new Mizuno optimizer.

Cobra F9 1W Rogue MAX 65
    Cobra F6 3W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Cobra F9 Tour 5W HZRDUS Smoke 75
    Ping G 4Hy NV 2KXV Green 85H
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52 56 60
    Piretti Teramo CS

• kfree1966kfree1966 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Thanks all. I was figuring that new clubs were in my future. One piece of advice, when you see the Mizuno fitting session going on, run the other way. Every time I see a session, I end up with new clubs.

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to do the reshaft yourself? If so get the shafts /ferrules /new grips and do it.Huge difference 6.0 to ctaper lite!
    May be easier to find mp54 with DG SL300 they are around 112 grams and will be i think a good value alternative.

2019 August nice bag

Titleist 909d2
    Tee 16.5
    Tm M1 21 hybrid'16

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist ScottyPro Plat
    Ping B60 backup!

• LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just buy new. Never get money back from the shafts and heads certainly will not last as long as the new ones. Lot of money to dump into clubs that have little resale value at this point.

PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • rattlergolferrattlergolfer Members Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@kfree1966 said:
    Currently gaming the MP-54 w/Project X 6.0s. Accidentally encountered a Mizuno fitting session at the PGA SS. The optimizer recommended KBS C-taper lite regular flex. Hit the shaft with 919 Forged. WOW what a combo. Tried other shafts but kept coming back. I took my 54s to the range after and realized how much harder I had to work to get them to perform. Also getting older (53) doesn't help. There is no way to try the 54s with the new shaft as the fitting carts no longer have the 54 head. Trying to decide do I change out the shafts on my 54s or just pickup the 919 Forged with the new shafts. If I go new, go I pickup the JPX 919 50 degree wedge or go with another option.

Thanks

I have a set of C-Taper Lite Regular. They were pulled from Bstone J15 only used couple times. However, they are 1/2 inch short.

Driver: F9 - Oban Revenge
    3 Wood: F9 - Oban Revenge
    5 Wood: F9 - Oban Revenge
    Irons: Bridgestone J15 - KBS Tour Lite C-Taper
    Wedges: Cleveland - CG
    Putter: Taylormade Spider
    Ball: < Testing >

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file