Help me ID this Mashie?

So my Dad (65) is currently cleaning out my grandparents house and came across this hickory shafted mashie that he's pretty sure his brother (63) used to learn to play over 50 years ago. He thinks it's one of my grandpa's old clubs from his own youth, and estimates that it is 80-90 years old (though that's just a guess, he has nothing to back it up).

Anything y'all can tell me about it (history, age, any tips on restoring it) would be much appreciated!

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
Ping Rapture 14*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
Adams Pro DHy 18*, Aldila RIP 85X
Adams Red 20*, Aldila RIP 85X
TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #1

Comments

• ebeerebeer Swing Hickory! Members Posts: 268 ✭✭

Argyle was made by Spalding when still operating out of their Dysart Fife facility in Scotland. Circa 1915-1920.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Alex Herd, AG Spalding, etc
    • George Nicoll 2 Iron Tom Stewart: Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
    • Putters: AG Spalding, Standard Mills, Tom Stewart - depends if I want to miss right or left ;)
    • NorCal Hickory - Pacific Hickory - StymieMagnet (this Instagram link has new hickory photos posted almost daily)
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,304 ✭✭

Wow left handed. A certain poster should approve of this find.

• cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 401 ✭✭

We Canucks have a tendency to swing the club a little different.

Do I want to restore the head at all or should I leave it alone? And if yes, how? Also, would there be a way to find a new grip that would be a facsimile of the original?

Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #1
  • ebeerebeer Swing Hickory! Members Posts: 268 ✭✭

@cmagnusson said:
    Do I want to restore the head at all or should I leave it alone? And if yes, how? Also, would there be a way to find a new grip that would be a facsimile of the original?

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to play with it, you have to take the pin out, epoxy, and repin. I think it's got some great character as is, I wouldn't mess with too much restoration. Steel wool the shaft, then add a coat of dark walnut stain by Minwax. This particular color looks pretty authentic. You can get replacement leather grips that will feel great and be period authentic...check out hickorygolfworkshop.com. Also see restoration tips at hickorygolfers.com.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Alex Herd, AG Spalding, etc
    • George Nicoll 2 Iron Tom Stewart: Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
    • Putters: AG Spalding, Standard Mills, Tom Stewart - depends if I want to miss right or left ;)
    • NorCal Hickory - Pacific Hickory - StymieMagnet (this Instagram link has new hickory photos posted almost daily)
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 401 ✭✭

@ebeer said:

@cmagnusson said:

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to play with it, you have to take the pin out, epoxy, and repin. I think it's got some great character as is, I wouldn't mess with too much restoration. Steel wool the shaft, then add a coat of dark walnut stain by Minwax. This particular color looks pretty authentic. You can get replacement leather grips that will feel great and be period authentic...check out hickorygolfworkshop.com. Also see restoration tips at hickorygolfers.com.

I'm not planning to swing it, it's going on the wall in my office. I just want it to look as good as possible when I mount it up there. I'll check out those sites, thanks so much!

Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #1