Help me ID this Mashie?

cmagnusson ·  
cmagnussoncmagnusson  572WRX Points: 179Handicap: 14Members Posts: 572 Golden Tee

So my Dad (65) is currently cleaning out my grandparents house and came across this hickory shafted mashie that he's pretty sure his brother (63) used to learn to play over 50 years ago. He thinks it's one of my grandpa's old clubs from his own youth, and estimates that it is 80-90 years old (though that's just a guess, he has nothing to back it up).

Anything y'all can tell me about it (history, age, any tips on restoring it) would be much appreciated!

Posted:
Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
Titleist 917F2 16.5*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
Taylormade PSI Tour 3 iron, DG Pro X100
Taylormade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
Taylormade RSI2 AW 50*
Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"

Comments

• ebeerebeer Swing Hickory!  287WRX Points: 76Members Posts: 287 Greens

Argyle was made by Spalding when still operating out of their Dysart Fife facility in Scotland. Circa 1915-1920.

Posted:
    • Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
    • Cochrane Mid Iron, Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
    • Putters: Morristown, Standard Mills, Tom Stewart - depends if I want to miss right or left ;)
    • NorCal Hickory - Pacific Hickory - StymieMagnet (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Steele47Steele47  1726WRX Points: 865Members Posts: 1,726 Platinum Tees

Wow left handed. A certain poster should approve of this find.

Posted:
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson  572WRX Points: 179Handicap: 14Members Posts: 572 Golden Tee

We Canucks have a tendency to swing the club a little different.

Do I want to restore the head at all or should I leave it alone? And if yes, how? Also, would there be a way to find a new grip that would be a facsimile of the original?

Posted:
    Taylormade RSI2 AW 50*
  • ebeerebeer Swing Hickory!  287WRX Points: 76Members Posts: 287 Greens

On -, @cmagnusson said:

Do I want to restore the head at all or should I leave it alone? And if yes, how? Also, would there be a way to find a new grip that would be a facsimile of the original?

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to play with it, you have to take the pin out, epoxy, and repin. I think it's got some great character as is, I wouldn't mess with too much restoration. Steel wool the shaft, then add a coat of dark walnut stain by Minwax. This particular color looks pretty authentic. You can get replacement leather grips that will feel great and be period authentic...check out hickorygolfworkshop.com. Also see restoration tips at hickorygolfers.com.

Posted:
    • Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
    • Cochrane Mid Iron, Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
    • Putters: Morristown, Standard Mills, Tom Stewart - depends if I want to miss right or left ;)
    • NorCal Hickory - Pacific Hickory - StymieMagnet (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson  572WRX Points: 179Handicap: 14Members Posts: 572 Golden Tee

On -, @ebeer said:

On -, @cmagnusson said:

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to play with it, you have to take the pin out, epoxy, and repin. I think it's got some great character as is, I wouldn't mess with too much restoration. Steel wool the shaft, then add a coat of dark walnut stain by Minwax. This particular color looks pretty authentic. You can get replacement leather grips that will feel great and be period authentic...check out hickorygolfworkshop.com. Also see restoration tips at hickorygolfers.com.

I'm not planning to swing it, it's going on the wall in my office. I just want it to look as good as possible when I mount it up there. I'll check out those sites, thanks so much!

Posted:
    Taylormade RSI2 AW 50*

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.