True Temper Monaco Tour prototype shaft

RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior HackerClubWRX Posts: 4,550 ClubWRX

Back in 2010/2011 True Temper made a prototype shaft called Monaco. Darren Clark used these to win the 2011 Open Championship. These seem to be the prototype of the AMT shaft but I am really not sure on that. Searches here and on the web have yielded little information. Does anyone have information on these, how these flight, etc? Thanks in advance.

Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips

Comments

• ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,512 ClubWRX

@RobotDoctor said:
    Back in 2010/2011 True Temper made a prototype shaft called Monaco. Darren Clark used these to win the 2011 Open Championship. These seem to be the prototype of the AMT shaft but I am really not sure on that. Searches here and on the web have yielded little information. Does anyone have information on these, how these flight, etc? Thanks in advance.

I actually think the Tour Concept shaft was retail offering from the Monaco prototype, but I could be wrong.

@TrueTemper any insight on this?

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • varnovarno Laguna Beach, CAMembers Posts: 341 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 3:42am #3

Yes-

I had both the Monaco (first) and then Tour Concept. High ball flight for me(which I assume now was due to a lot of spin, as this was pre trackman etc wide usage). I think this was more like 2007-2008 and before manufacturers were turning out really consistent sets, I remember having a few outliers doing some weird stuff and random distances from clubs both short and long.

@ddetts said:

@RobotDoctor said:

I actually think the Tour Concept shaft was retail offering from the Monaco prototype, but I could be wrong.

@TrueTemper any insight on this?

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 8,567 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 12:01pm #4

What a mess....lets clear it up...

True Temper use to make a IRON shaft series that was both Constant Weight AND Flighted, named Tour Concept. They was 126 grams no matter flex, finnish is brushed / Satin. (the Wedge shaft with the same name is NOT to be compared) (it was found as blue/green brushed finish as option in the first years)
    TT TC was a Tour Issue model, the last years as exclusive for Performance Fitting Centers
    (cam around 2005?)

Monaco Tour Prototype was the name of a hand made Constant Weight model with "Copper finish"
    They was "kind of progressive flighted" . only 1000 sets was made.
    S- 122 grams
    X - 127 grams
    TX - 133 grams (from my memory)
    (exclusive for Performance Fitting Centers - 2011)

The production model after Monaco was DG-PRO, the Semi ascending WGT model....
    https://www.truetemper.com/products/dg-pro/

Ascending Mass Tech or simply AMT is a model of its own and got nothing to do with any of the 3 different models above
    https://www.truetemper.com/products/dynamic-gold-amt-2/

• varnovarno Laguna Beach, CAMembers Posts: 341 ✭✭

Ahhh Monaco—->DGPro that was it. I had all three sets above and obviously merged them all over time.

Matte green finish had the outlier shots.

• nandersennandersen Boston, MAClubWRX Posts: 158 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 22, 2019 6:33pm #6

Hey all, I actually play these shafts currently. I talked to Will Peoples and he agreed that the DG Pro is the successor - (and he put one in my 2 iron that is arriving today)!

I'll post back here once I've hit the small irons (compare the 2 with DG Pro against my 3 with Monaco).

1W: Callaway BB 816 (9.0)- HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    3W: Taylormade M2 Tour (15) - Fujikura Pro 73x
    HW: Callaway GBB Heavenwood- HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    1-PW: Miura Baby Blades - TT Prototype Monaco X100 +0.75"
    51-9: Miura 1957 Y-Wedge
    54-10, 60-08: SM5 Vokey M-Grind
    Odyssey O-Works 7
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,550 ClubWRX

I just picked up a set of stiff 3-PW. I am not sure whether I am going to install these or sell them. I suppose it depends on how they perform. I currently game Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff shafts. While I like this shaft for the feel, these tend to launch a bit higher than I want and seem to produce a bit more spin. I could go back to TT DG S300 but the weight is going to be more per shaft. I could go to S200 for 3g savings per shaft. There are other options but I would like to stay around the 120g weight per shaft. Will wait to see the feedback from others before I make a final decision on the fate of these shafts.

Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW KBS Tour stiff
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
    edited Apr 26, 2019 4:35pm #8

@Howard Jones said:

True Temper use to make a IRON shaft series that was both Constant Weight AND Flighted, named Tour Concept. They was 126 grams no matter flex, finnish is brushed / Satin. (the Wedge shaft with the same name is NOT to be compared) (it was found as blue/green brushed finish as option in the first years)
    TT TC was a Tour Issue model, the last years as exclusive for Performance Fitting Centers
    (cam around 2005?)

Monaco Tour Prototype was the name of a hand made Constant Weight model with "Copper finish"
    S- 122 grams
    X - 127 grams

Ascending Mass Tech or simply AMT is a model of its own and got nothing to do with any of the 3 different models above

@Howard Jones Are these the ones that are constant weight and flighted? I couldn't find any specs on True Temper's site in their "Classics" section. I bought a 3-PW set in Stiff a few months back that I am going to use in a refinished set of Nike Pro Combo Tours. Don't know that I'll ever hit them, but I love the brushed finish on them.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

• TrueTemperTrueTemper Sponsors Posts: 1,238 ✭✭

@ddetts said:

@Howard Jones said:

(cam around 2005?)

S- 122 grams
    X - 127 grams

@Howard Jones Are these the ones that are constant weight and flighted? I couldn't find any specs on True Temper's site in their "Classics" section. I bought a 3-PW set in Stiff a few months back that I am going to use in a refinished set of Nike Pro Combo Tours. Don't know that I'll ever hit them, but I love the brushed finish on them.

Those are the constant weight and flighted ones. We made them in several finishes through the years, green, brushed and standard chrome. One of my favorite steel shafts we have made.

WI Don's Bag Dr- EvenFlow Blue, FWs- HZRDUS Red Hy- EvenFlow Blue, Irons- Prototypes

@TrueTemper said:

@ddetts said:

@Howard Jones said:

(cam around 2005?)

S- 122 grams
    X - 127 grams

Those are the constant weight and flighted ones. We made them in several finishes through the years, green, brushed and standard chrome. One of my favorite steel shafts we have made.

Well now, that statement isn't going to make it easy for me to not want to hit my refinished Nike irons after I get them all set up!

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,590 ✭✭

@TrueTemper said:

@ddetts said:

@Howard Jones said:

(cam around 2005?)

S- 122 grams
    X - 127 grams

I wish I could get a set of black golds. Not a popular design but it was good.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.

@QuigleyDU said:

@TrueTemper said:

@ddetts said:

@Howard Jones said:

(cam around 2005?)

S- 122 grams
    X - 127 grams

I tried to find a set of 3-PW Black Golds in Stiff, but could only find X-stiff. And from what I read, those shafts played pretty stiff to flex. The finish on those shafts was awesome!

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

edited Apr 27, 2019 12:37am #13

@ddetts said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@TrueTemper said:

@ddetts said:

@Howard Jones said:

(cam around 2005?)

S- 122 grams
    X - 127 grams

I tried to find a set of 3-PW Black Golds in Stiff, but could only find X-stiff. And from what I read, those shafts played pretty stiff to flex. The finish on those shafts was awesome!

Amazon still have them...seems like

https://www.amazon.com/True-Temper-Black-Stiff-Shafts-355/dp/B07QN1398K

@Howard Jones that's awesome! I think I actually had reached out to SHAFTTECHNOLOGIES last year when I was looking and they only had a full 3-pw set in regular and X stiff. Most have come across some more. Wish I didn't already have the set of satin Tour Concepts!

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

@ddetts said:
    @Howard Jones that's awesome! I think I actually had reached out to SHAFTTECHNOLOGIES last year when I was looking and they only had a full 3-pw set in regular and X stiff. Most have come across some more. Wish I didn't already have the set of satin Tour Concepts!

For 12 a shaft - Tapers - S flex....thats better than hard cash when the day comes and those heads on the net,..
    This classics new uncut, who is a "strong S flex" would have been a dream set to make a METRIC set with custom SW progression...we dont have to use 3/8" or 2/8" if we want something else than Classic 4/8" or Single length, METRIC opens for tons of options in-between....

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1751610-metric-irons-excel-vba-app/

Im sure there is a set of heads that fits this shafts out there somewhere, if not today, maybe next week:-)

@Howard Jones said:

@ddetts said:

For 12 a shaft - Tapers - S flex....thats better than hard cash when the day comes and those heads on the net,..
    This classics new uncut, who is a "strong S flex" would have been a dream set to make a METRIC set with custom SW progression...we dont have to use 3/8" or 2/8" if we want something else than Classic 4/8" or Single length, METRIC opens for tons of options in-between....

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1751610-metric-irons-excel-vba-app/

Im sure there is a set of heads that fits this shafts out there somewhere, if not today, maybe next week:-)

I never actually had a chance to hit the Black Golds, just thought they looked amazing. They were kind of like a unicorn and rare to see. I think I recall one set of Adam's irons had them as the stock shaft.

I'd pull the trigger on these if I knew they actually fit my swing!

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen