who had the worse ordeal just to watch this year's Masters??

jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,154 ✭✭
edited Apr 21, 2019 12:21am in Tour Talk #1

I just read about the ordeal Wayne Rooney and his 2 team mates had to endure just to watch Tiger win the Masters..
they had a soccer game Saturday night (which they won) in Denver and left at 1am for a flight to Charlotte and with delays had to take a road trip from Charlotte to Augusta to catch the last 4 holes of Tiger but considered it worth the ordeal..

any others out there with a similar or worse ordeal just to reach Augusta??

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60
Post edited by jmvargas on

Comments

• King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

Me - Had it all planned out with my son's baseball tournament, last game at noon on Sunday. Tee times get moved up, baseball game gets moved to 11am. Due to the way PlayStation Vue records when the guide hasn't been updated, I had to DVR 5 different shows + the regular broadcast and stay "in the bubble" the entire baseball game, get home and cycle through the 5 DVR'd shows and hope I didn't accidentally catch the live action and ruin the "live" experience."

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,264 ✭✭

I couldn’t day drink all day since they moved up the tee times. Then I remembered Bloody Marys with a shot of OJ. Crisis averted.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,761 ✭✭

My heart goes out to Rooney and the boys. Never forget.

Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • tiger.19tiger.19 Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

You serious Clark? Been in the lottery for 10 years with a big goose egg, I would have done this to see tiger win in that way, no questions asked.

• jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,154 ✭✭

anyone else with similar or worse TRAVEL ordeals??....

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,090 ✭✭

@mcputter said:
    So three millionaire athletes had to endure the horrors of a sleepless night to make it to the Masters in time to see the last four holes of Tiger's win at Augusta in person? I'm not sure how they survived.

I hope Wayne Rooney wasn't driving to Augusta from Charlotte. Seems Wayne has had some driving issues recently.

edited Apr 21, 2019 3:06am #10

@grm24 said:

@mcputter said:
    So three millionaire athletes had to endure the horrors of a sleepless night to make it to the Masters in time to see the last four holes of Tiger's win at Augusta in person? I'm not sure how they survived.

I hope Wayne Rooney wasn't driving to Augusta from Charlotte. Seems Wayne has had some driving issues recently.

the article mentioned they hired a driver....and that the drive took 4-5 hours!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,392 ✭✭

I feel terrible. Someone should setup a Gofundme for them.

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,090 ✭✭

@jmvargas said:

@grm24 said:

@mcputter said:

the article mentioned they hired a driver....and that the drive took 4-5 hours!

LOL! Charlotte to Augusta is less than a 3 hour drive weather permitting. Maybe Rooney should have done the driving!

• MPSgolfsMPSgolfs Members Posts: 76 ✭✭

I watched every minute of Saturday and Sunday coverage from my couch, with the laptop at hand to check individual shots, track players, etc.

• Ewood808Ewood808 Members Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 5:00am #14

I had a vasectomy Friday afternoon, and laid on the couch watching the remainder of the tournament. Not quite as bad as having to take a private jet flight and chauffeured trip to Augusta.

• sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 820 ✭✭

I was in Europe and they only watch “football” there, I was hoping to catch the last 2 hours at home when I got back. Then the schedule was move up to a 2:00 finish. I was pleasantly surprised to catch a the action on the plane until we reached an area over the Atlantic where there was no service agreement. Saw it on replay when I got back. Xxit happens

• SPIFSPIF Members Posts: 769 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 5:21am #16

I had to wake up at 2am to watch tournament coverage. The sun started rising at 6am and I had to draw the curtains. The ocean was too loud as the waves were crashing, ruining he museum like atmosphere. My wife woke up to watch the last few holes and overlooked the eggs.

It was ****.

The struggle is real.

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,434 ✭✭

God bless those brave men for enduring such hardship. Hopefully they shall rise again one day and resume their life of total comfort. They should all be granted one extra one of those fake falls and agonizing injuries that occur in soccer when another player merely walks within sight of another.

• caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,703 ✭✭

Had to go to 7:45 mass. Wait a minute, I do that every Sunday. So, nothing special.

• JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous today PAMembers Posts: 280 ✭✭

@PZero said:
    I feel terrible. Someone should setup a Gofundme for them.

Agreed.

Their ordeal rivals the Shackleton Expedition. Why must people suffer {single tear drop falling onto the keyboard}?

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,331 ✭✭

@Markrip said:
    It was absolutely horrible. I had to get up before 8 on a Sunday and walk downstairs and sit on my recliner until it was over.

I feel your pain brother. My experience was quite similar, except my bedroom is on the first floor, so I did not have to navigate the stairs.

• diablocrusherdiablocrusher Members Posts: 169 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 2:24pm #21

@jmvargas said:
    anyone else with similar or worse TRAVEL ordeals??....

Sunday during the final round I had to travel to Atlanta for a work trip. Since the tee times got pushed up I watched tigers final holes on the Masters app on my phone standing in line to check my bag. Since the app is delayed compared to cable I heard a crowd gathered around a tv a little further away groan so I knew tiger missed the putt before the tap in at 18.

So no, I do not feel bad that rich soccer stars had to take a mini road trip from North Carolina to Georgia to watch the masters in person.

Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Diablo Octane Tour
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • AppAlumAppAlum Members Posts: 746 ✭✭

Was in an ER room sitting with my dad. He was mostly out of it but he did manage to catch Tiger’s last 3 holes. Made him very happy.

• dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,135 ✭✭

I was at St. James plantation in NC watching my daughter play in conference finals. The place has 4 courses and 4 clubhouses and not a decent big screen TV to be found. I watched the final 9 of the final round at a bar at the Reserve club on about an 18 inch TV. My phone had better resolution...lol!

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,206 ✭✭

I was on an International flight, bought the expensive streaming wifi only to find The Masters streaming is geo-blocked. Oh no! Then I had to then research a VPN service, found Express VPN, bought that and then used a USA node and was able to stream the rest of the flight.

the "ordeals" so far have been......kinda lame ones..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,676 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 21, 2019 9:43pm #26
  • BuffaloTimBuffaloTim Members Posts: 100 ✭✭

It's the Masters and I knew Tiger was coming strong, so I hit it hard when coverage started. Thankfully I was still conscious to see him win.

@BrianMcG said:
    I couldn’t day drink all day since they moved up the tee times. Then I remembered Bloody Marys with a shot of OJ. Crisis averted.