LD Setup for Metal Play

robbie91robbie91 Members Posts: 3,088 ✭✭

I've been watching Brooke Henderson smash a 48" driver all weekend on the golf channel and I'm getting to the point where I'd like to try one myself. The problem is that I'm not sure what the heck I need to get. I currently use a 10* driver with a Diamana S+ 65X shaft. Swing speed is around 108-112, pretty much mid launch mid spin sort of numbers. What kind of loft and shaft combo should I be looking at? I'm willing to spend a bit of money but since this is an experiment I don't want to drop crazy cash.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* // Oban Kiyoshi Black 65X
Callaway X2hot Pro 15* // PX LZ 70 6.5
Titleist T-MB 3 Iron // PX LZ Steel 6.5
Miura 501 CB (4-PW) // KBS Tour S+
Miura Y-Grind 49* // KBS Tour S+
Titleist Vokey SM6 54.08 // DG S200
Titleist Vokey SM6 60.04 // DG S200
Byron Morgan DH89

Comments

• mcputtermcputter Members Posts: 935 ✭✭

Brooke Henderson chokes down 3" on that 48" driver. Probably would be better off trying to optimize your numbers with a standard length driver.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • HubijerkHubijerk Members Posts: 750 ✭✭

I built a long diver for one particular tournament that is held at a pretty open course with very few out of bounds holes. I figured I could pull my 3w as it's not a long course and I didn't need it. I built a 6 degree 48" driver and what I found during practice rounds was that it was too drastic a difference between the driver and the rest of the set to be comfortable in a game situation.

On the range I could make adjustments and get in a groove and bomb that long driver a mile. But on course, going from hitting some irons, a wedge, putting, then going to the longest, flattest club I've ever played on the next tee then back again was **** for my consistency.

There was a benefit though, when I would practice with the long driver I did see my driving improve with my gamer. It felt much shorter and easier to hit and as I'm swinging that long driver as hard as I can on the range my clubhead speed goes up a few mph. The long driver makes me smooth out and complete my swing sequence as mistakes in balance and timing, etc. are magnified. It also really makes you focus on rotating that core to get the speed up. It's impossible to muscle a 48" driver head whipping through at 130 mph or so.

You can give Robert a call at House Of Forged, they specialize in long drive shafts but he usually has some heads and can build you something cheap. I got a Mutant Brute 2.0 from him with one of his shafts and I'm pleased with it.

You can't sneak the cheese by a rat