Absolutely why you should get a custom putter fitting...

Scooper5Scooper5 Elko, MinnesotaMembers Posts: 16 ✭✭

Hey everyone.

I posted a few weeks ago about searching for a new blade putter and was looking for suggestions https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1745480/the-great-blade-putter-search-of-2019/p1.

First, I want to say thanks to all who chimed in. But this is a story about why a putter fitting, without a doubt, should happen when buying a putter.

Prior to my first-ever putter fitting today, I had always played a blade with a plumber's neck (A Ping TR Scottsdale Anser 2, most recently). Going into the fitting, I figured I would probably be looking at a similar model with maybe a different offset type to improve my poor putting scores (usually always 36 putts a round). Boy was I wrong.

After a thorough fitting, my certified fitter concluded that my slight-arc style was actually very slight and that the anser-style blade was actually a detriment to my natural stroke. Instead, I was fitted into a center-shafted blade with only a 1/2 toe hang, which I never anticipated that much of a change. I became comfortable with the Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback Center Shaft, and as long as I was aligned to my target and the ball was in the center of the blade, my putts started on line nearly every time.

SO, if you haven't been, do a putter fitting before purchasing a putter, especially if you plan on spending a lot of money on it. As for now, I anxiously await a phone call from the retailer about my new investment's arrival, and I'm sure I'll provide some updates about if the tool is making the operator's scores better.

Taylormade R11 TP - Mitsubishi Diamana Kai' li
Titleist 910F 15-degree - Mitsubishi Diamana 'ahina
Adams Idea A7 19-degree -UST Proforce AXIVCore 85
Srixon Z565 4 & 5, Z765 6-PW
Ben Hogan TK 15 52,56,60
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback Center Shaft

Comments

• Jeffyr11Jeffyr11 Denver, COMembers Posts: 612 ✭✭

Where did you go to get fit?

Taylor Made M5 10.5* w/ Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70 TX
    Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* w/ Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 TX
    PXG 0317 19* w/ Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4) w/ Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour (5-P) w/ Project X LZ 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/ 54S/ 58L w/ DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,385 ✭✭

So you don't know if you actually putt better with the new putter or not?

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • Scooper5Scooper5 Elko, MinnesotaMembers Posts: 16 ✭✭

@Jeffyr11 said:
    Where did you go to get fit?

I'm located in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area. I went to 2nd Swing, which is where I have gotten fitted for irons before. I have about a 10-year relationship with the staff there. They have a handful of solid, certified fitters of the brands. I was fitted by one who has been a certified Bettinardi fitter for almost 10 years or more, I believe. And I trust his expertise as my irons he fitted have been excellent for the last two seasons.

Ben Hogan TK 15 52,56,60
  • Scooper5Scooper5 Elko, MinnesotaMembers Posts: 16 ✭✭

@tatertot said:
    So you don't know if you actually putt better with the new putter or not?

Well, do you ever really know if your performance is going to be better when you get a club fitting? But when you pay for a fitter's expertise for an hour's time of trying different models and watching the putts on two camera angles, I'd say the proof was in the pudding as I started putt after putt on my intended line with my selected putter and dropping 9 out of every 10. My fitter didn't steer me wrong on irons 2 years ago, so I trust him with the putter as well. Ultimately, it all comes down to the operator, but I feel confident that I have the right putter for my stroke and it will minimize my weaknesses/problems from the previous putter (consistent left misses, struggles on slow greens with lag putting).

So would it be nice to know if the putter is the answer before purchasing? Yeah, but then no putter company would make a profit because they would have countless putter returns because the operators (good and bad) weren't holing every putt.

Ben Hogan TK 15 52,56,60
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 65 ✭✭

I will second the opinion that a putter fitting is invaluable. I had been using an old face-balanced Odyssey mallet. I liked the putter, but I never felt as if I was performing as well as I should have been (don't we all feel that way). So, I decided to get a proper putter fitting before buying my next putter. I went to a place in my local area and was setup on the SAM PuttLab to analyze my stroke and tendencies. Long story short, I have a very consistent stroke, which is good, but I was consistently hitting the ball with a slightly open face. After looking at other data the PuttLab spit out, based on my stroke, it was determined I needed a putter with a moderate toe hang, a 1 degree loft, and 72 degree lie. I hit a bunch of putters and ultimately chose the Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, which is an absolute joy to put with. The putter fitting cost $100, but in my humble opinion, it was totally worth it. I have definitely improved my short game because of the new putter (I'm sure some of it is psychological because I love hitting this putter), but it also helps that my ball is going to go where I want it to every time I hit it. Now, if only I could get better at reading greens...

• WoodridgeWoodridge Earl of Aberdovey ChicagolandMembers Posts: 1,895 ✭✭

I agree on the fitting and you don't even necessarily have to buy a new putter. I went through a fitting, had my current putter cut down and bent to fit my stroke. Along with that, the fitter had me move the ball back in my stance based on my stroke data. The result is that I'm having my best putting season in a long time. The biggest difference is that I am missing less short putts. One of my playing partners said that this is the best he's seen me putt.

Callaway Epic Flash 12* Accra FX 2.0 140 M2
    Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 3 hybrid
    XXIO9 4 hybrid
    XXIO9 5 hybrid
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 6 hybrid
    PXG 0311, Accra i70, 7-G
    Vokey 56
    Epon Copper 208KGX 58 bent to 60
    Ping Redwood ZB 33" w/Flatso 1.0 Counterweight grip

"Let's take a drive, and run with the dogs tonight in Suburbia"