St Andrews Trip Report April 2019

Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,323 ✭✭

I'm in St Andrews for 5 days and 5+ rounds of golf. On Wednesday I'll be celebrating my 500th course played when I tee it up at the Old Course. I played my 400th course in July 2017 at Pebble Beach, and figured the only way to outdo that was to visit the birthplace of golf. (No, I couldn't get on at Augusta National or Cypress)

I have rounds booked tomorrow morning at Kingsbarns, and Tuesday morning at the Castle Course. Thursday and Friday are open, and I'm planning to walk on the New and Jubilee courses. I don't have a rental car, so I'm planning to stick around St Andrews on this trip. I hope to return to Scotland in a few year and play the other well known gems.

I'll post reviews as I play, and a few pics. I'll post full picture sets when I get back home. The weather forecast looks very promising, but a little rain wouldn't dampen my spirits. I'm here to celebrate over 40 years of golf by taking in the sights and sounds. 'Not sure if I'm going to make it to 1000 courses, but I'll certainly try.

Comments

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,323 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 2:49pm #2

The gorse is sure looking pretty.

In addition to being a total golf junkie, I'm also a railfan. Seeing the 120+ year old Forth Bridge was pretty cool.

Post edited by Argonne69 on
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,338 ✭✭

wow love these threads. glad you made it there and all set.

I have been in Houston 3 months now and returning home on Wednesday and can't wait to play a month of links golf, this thread is definitely getting me in the mood to play!

• Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Starting the trip the right way with a pint of stout, and a plate of fish and chips at Belhaven Pub. I'm going to make my way down to St Andrews Brewing Company if they're open.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,669 ClubWRX

Hope there was time and daylight for a stroll on The Old.

• dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,682 mod

Anxious to read the rest of this! We spent seven nights in St Andrews last August and IMO it still was not enough time there. So many cool things to see and do around town. Have fun!!!

M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,624 ✭✭

belhaven beer was my preferred option the first time i went over ... this makes me want to go out and get some ... hope you got to walk around TOC a bit today, but just being in that town is good enough ...

• duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,013 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 2:22am #8

Stout? Did you go to Ireland? ;)
    OP as someone who likes beer, you must tuck into multiple pints of cask ale while you are there. Good pubs know how to keep it in good nick.
    whatpub.com and beerintheevening.com plus KY16 for the postcode search and you are sorted, as 5 nights will give you more than enough time to get to all of them.

edited Apr 22, 2019 5:42am #9

Yes, I got a chance to walk around the 1st/18th at TOC. Being a Sunday, it was open to the public. Odd to watch folks kicking a rugby ball around, and watching dogs play on the 18th green.

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,068 ✭✭

@duffer987 said:
    Stout? Did you go to Ireland? ;)
    OP as someone who likes beer, you must tuck into multiple pints of cask ale while you are there. Good pubs know how to keep it in good nick.
    whatpub.com and beerintheevening.com plus KY16 for the postcode search and you are sorted, as 5 nights will give you more than enough time to get to all of them.

Its been a couple of years since I was there, but my favorite pub in St Andrews was the Whey Pat. Its far enough from the golf courses so that you won't be completely surrounded by tourists (like yourself), and they had 5 or 6 cask ales on tap every time I was there. Its just outside the old city gate on Market Street.

• scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,338 ✭✭

Seems it was a perfect day for golf today, friends had some great pics from Royal Aberdeen. Glad you had fun and seems the weather is now downhill for you. I arrive on Thursday and its saying 12*C for Aberdeen!

• Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Yeah, the weather is going to get a bit cooler and wetter. I decided today would be the best day to stroll through the town, so I walked down to the castle, and then the cathedral. Interesting. I'm currently having a nice cask conditioned ale at The Rule on South Street, and my next stop will be Whey Pat. One of the locals told me to enjoy the last day of summer. Lol.

• spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers Posts: 1,603 ✭✭

Always enjoy your trip reports!

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,669 ClubWRX

Argonne - just a question about photos. I always had issues figuring out how to get good quality pics to show up once resized for this site. Are you using a remote hosting site, or is the new site here better about photos, if you know? Thanks.

edited Apr 22, 2019 5:19pm #20

My pics, both original and resized, are hosted in my Dropbox account. This site resizes them for the page, but the full pic is available by clicking on the photo.

• Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 54 ✭✭

Aye, this a beauty thread Argonne. I'm looking forward to this week's updates...especially Wednesday!

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Works blade
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

edited Apr 22, 2019 5:42pm #22

Thanks. Looking forward to the rest of the trip.

I'm starting to think about a personal souvenir. I certainly don't need another ball marker, as it would simply get lost in my bag pocket along with all the other ball markers. I would get some use out of yet another polo shirt, but it would be one of dozens.

For a few years I've considered getting some Galvin Green waterproofs, but they're not available in retail stores in the U. S., at least not in the Chicago area. My Footjoy rain gear is decent, but it simply doesn't breath like GoreTex. I don't want to drop top dollar without trying them on. I'm glad, because I stopped in a golf store to try on a few models, and found that the fit was iffy depending on the style/model. I need a 3XL, and a few styles were tight across the back with just a polo underneath. I hate to think how they would fit with 3 layers of winter wear. Nothing worse than Ill fitting outerwear. I'll check out a few more stores in town, and hopefully I'll have some luck.

Waterproofs with a St Andrews logo may not be exciting, but at least I'd get 20+ uses per season out of them.

A cask conditioned Belhaven Black Scottish Stout at Central Bar in St Andrews. OK, it's not a full pint, but it's still tasty.

• duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,013 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 6:25pm #25

Central Bar is my favorite spot in St. Andrews always loads of options, but c'mon drinking Bellhaven is like coming here and drinking Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada ;)
    I can see at least one Eden Mill brewery and one Stewart Brewing offer on hand pump in that pic, hopefully they have a Harviestoun as well, gotta go local man!

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,068 ✭✭

@Argonne69 said:
    I'm starting to think about a personal souvenir. I certainly don't need another ball marker, as it would simply get lost in my bag pocket along with all the other ball markers. I would get some use out of yet another polo shirt, but it would be one of dozens.

For a few years I've considered getting some Galvin Green waterproofs, but they're not available in retail stores in the U. S., at least not in the Chicago area. My Footjoy rain gear is decent, but it simply doesn't breath like GoreTex. I don't want to drop top dollar without trying them on. I'm glad, because I stopped in a golf store to try on a few models, and found that the fit was iffy depending on the style/model. I need a 3XL, and a few styles were tight across the back with just a polo underneath. I hate to think how they would fit with 3 layers of winter wear. Nothing worse than Ill fitting outerwear. I'll check out a few more stores in town, and hopefully I'll have some luck.

Waterproofs with a St Andrews logo may not be exciting, but at least I'd get 20+ uses per season out of them.

One of the longest lasting souvenirs that my wife and I brought back are a pair of coffee mugs, purchased in the Scotland Tourism office in Market Street, almost straight across from the Central. They're decorated with nice watercolor style depictions, one of the cathedral, one of the R&A clubhouse.

edited Apr 22, 2019 7:11pm #27

@Hawkeye77 said:
    Argonne - just a question about photos. I always had issues figuring out how to get good quality pics to show up once resized for this site. Are you using a remote hosting site, or is the new site here better about photos, if you know? Thanks.

You get only 1000 photos free (I pay for unlimited now), but I've used Flickr for ages now and it does the trick just fine.
    For instance - Kingsbarns pic and click link for the full one:

DSCN2211

• WalterWalter Belgian Golfer Members Posts: 700 ✭✭

Looking forward to read about the rest of your trip.
    Great memories off St Andrews and Kingsbarns as well.

Countdown for Augusta!!!
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 77 ✭✭

Great pictures. Making me somewhat jealous!
    Enjoy the rest of your trip, @Argonne69

Getting ready to tee off at the Castle Course. The winds are steady coming off the sea. It feels a good 20 degrees cooler than yesterday, although the sun is helping a bit. Nice views of the cathedral in St Andrews a mile away.