Shaft length = Distance

disco111disco111 Members Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up a set of Titleist 990's and was checking specs. just using the 7 iron as a base line, OEM spec is 36.75 length and loft is 36*. Comparing to 2 newer sets (Tour Edge Bazookas and MacTech NV's) the shaft length alone was 2 inches shorter and lofts are predictably at least 3* weaker. If just extending shaft length, how much of a distance increase can be expected or should you just forget length and if possible, adjust lofts. I'm not sure if lofts can be changed on these as they are a cast head. Appreciate responses...........

Comments

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 4:38pm #2

Newer sets have stronger lofts, not weaker.

Length should be quite similar between the new or the older set. A “standard” playing length for a modern 7 iron is 37 to 37.5 inches. If any of the clubs you speak of are significantly longer or shorter than that, they have been altered.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jagpilotohio said:
    Newer sets have stronger lofts, not weaker.

Length should be quite similar between the new or the older set. A “standard” playing length for a modern 7 iron is 37 to 37.5 inches. If any of the clubs you speak of are significantly longer or shorter than that, they have been altered.

I read it like that too but I think he was saying that the 990's were shorter and weaker, not the other sets. But I agree, I doubt the 2" difference in length is standard spec.

Extra shaft length can lead to increased clubhead speed but also decreased strike consistency. It all depends on the player really, but you're going to see more consistent, reliable distance gains by strengthening lofts.

Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • disco111disco111 Members Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I was referring to the 990's as being shorted and weaker lofts. Went back and compared a 5 irons and should note that the Mac's have graphite shafts that are not quite an inch longer. Tour Edge's measured the same length as the Mac's, at not quite and inch longer. Not sure where i came up with a 2 inch difference, but I stand corrected. Knowing that normally graphite shafted clubs are longer shafted than steel, I guess I'm not that far off anyway. So adjusting lofts should be the way to go, but the question is now can the Titleist's, being a cast club, be safely bent and by how much.

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@disco111 said:
    Knowing that normally graphite shafted clubs are longer shafted than steel, I guess I'm not that far off anyway.

There was a time when the OEM's made the graphite clubs longer than the steel - so it's a common misconception that they should be longer. But it's no longer the case any more for most OEM's and frankly it was never a good idea in any case. The lengths you should be playing in your irons should have nothing to do with what shaft you are using.

Went and compared specs with a set of Wilson D300 (2017 Model) and was impressed by the differences. The club lengths were a half inch longer with the Wilson's, but the lofts were really wide spaced.
    Wilson Lofts
    4 - 20.5 / 5 - 23 / 6 - 26 / 7 - 29.5 / 8 - 33.5 / 9 - 38 / W - 43
    Titleist Lofts
    4 - 25 / 5 - 28 / 6 - 32 / 7 - 36 / 8 - 40 / 9 - 44.5 / W - 49
    It's no wonder folks playing new(er) clubs are hitting them so far. No way that the Titleist's could be bent that drastically to be even close to the same distances. Guess it's time to just go after new equipment, even though the Titleist's look so good and feel great. That's just to much distance to be giving up in a competition setting.

• JRSJRS Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 8:36am #7

you're not giving up distance. it's just a different number on the bottom of the club.

Post edited by JRS on

@JRS said:
    you're not giving up distance. it's just a different number on the bottom of the club.

True, but one would think that hitting a 7 iron instead of a 5 iron should be easier.

• kmakkmak Members Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Are you thinking of reshafting the Titleists with a longer shaft? You'll have swingweight problems if you do. Adding an inch to shaft length will increase swingweight by 7 points, all else equal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file