Trouble squaring club face

Hi - I am working to fix my swing, making it steeper in the backswing and shallower towards impact. Additionally, I'm trying to hold my wrist angle longer which I struggle with. My problem is I am having trouble squaring up the club face at impact, as you can see in the video linked below. It feels like I'm chopping at the ball, and even sometimes like I'm coming across it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(I filmed it in slow motion on my iPhone so if you slow down the playback speed on Youtube, it should come through pretty clearly still).

Comments

• PabloTXPabloTX Members Posts: 4

@ALPHA MAN said:
    Club face wide open. You are describing what you are doing/feeling exactly. You are swinging the club like an axe with the sole of the club going towards the ball and the face pointing up towards the sky.

Thanks - I guess my problem is that despite feeling it and seeing it, I'm not quite sure on how to go about fixing that particular part of the swing. Any advice or links that would address my particular problem?

• Conner GolfConner Golf ClubWRX Posts: 82 ClubWRX

Try thinking of your right arm at address as a zero turn and a 90 degree of turn at the top being on a straight swing path. Your swing back to the top is under turned around 80 degrees of turn, which is fine, but you start your transition with an immediate over turn of your right arm (your first swing turned past 90* to around 120 degree of turn). Trying to correct from this position would cause what you discribe chopping or coming across the ball. You may want to try getting to your full turn at the top and taking that path in the down swing or just taming your over turn at transition down.

• aggiegolfer21aggiegolfer21 Members Posts: 53 ✭✭

Your left arm is way out at address. If you were to draw a line across your forearm it would point way right at address. Get your forearms parallel to target. In addition, on the downswing, the clubface should match your spine angle when the club is parallel to the ground before striking the ball. Work on swinging through this position. Lastly, you lay the club off a lot at the top of the swing. Instead of pointing the club way outside the target line to start the downswing, keep the club a little more vertical and drop your arms down in front of you.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I'd also try checking your grip a bit, it seems pretty weak. At the top of your backswing, your lead wrist is flat, which is good, but your club face if pointing straight down (extremely open).

On a side note, what is that swing groover? As a fellow city apartment dweller, that looks like it could be pretty useful for some indoor winter sessions.

• PabloTXPabloTX Members Posts: 4

@Simpsonia said:
    I'd also try checking your grip a bit, it seems pretty weak. At the top of your backswing, your lead wrist is flat, which is good, but your club face if pointing straight down (extremely open).

On a side note, what is that swing groover? As a fellow city apartment dweller, that looks like it could be pretty useful for some indoor winter sessions.

Which way should the club face be pointing at the top of the backswing? I thought it was supposed to point down actually.

I found this mat w/ the ball attached on ebay...it's discontinued but there may be some others floating around. I can't recall the name of it off the top of my head so I will check on the product later and let you know.

• Conner GolfConner Golf ClubWRX Posts: 82 ClubWRX

@PabloTX said: Which way should the club face be pointing at the top of the backswing? I thought it was supposed to point down actually.

Looking from DTL at the top if you draw a line from the center of your ball though the center of your clubface your clubface will sit flat against the line for a neutral (square) position. Any turn of the toe downward from neutral is toward a more open position and any turn of the toe upward is toward a more closed position.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file