New Irons

craigstercraigster Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited Apr 21, 2019 9:41pm in Equipment #1

Looking at new irons .Been a decade ( ya i know but i love mine lol ) any way...made the mistake of hitting the 0311XF 's ..dear God they are sweet but not 3 grand sweet. Suggestions ? 10-12 hdcp 95 -100 swing speed ..shafts ? Love to hear it all thanks.Looking for game improvement clubs like the 0013 XF

Post edited by craigster on

Comments

• reider69reider69 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2019 9:12pm #2

Mizuno JPX 919 forged. I would try a 115 gram shaft like ctaper lite x or modus 105x at that swing speed.

Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,432 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 21, 2019 11:02pm #3

You might as well try the Ping 410 and see if they live up to the hype! You actually mentioned playing the same irons for 10 years(a decade) on this forum?

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 455 ✭✭

@craigster said:
    Looking at new irons .Been a decade ( ya i know but i love mine lol ) any way...made the mistake of hitting the 0311XF 's ..dear God they are sweet but not 3 grand sweet. Suggestions ? 10-12 hdcp 95 -100 swing speed ..shafts ? Love to hear it all thanks.Looking for game improvement clubs like the 0013 XF

Used 0311 xf first gen? Sure you can find them for a good deal

• LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭

@platgof said:
    You might as well try the Ping 410 and see if they live up to the hype! You actually mentioned playing the same irons for 10 years(a decade) on this forum?

The hype is real 😎

PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 8,047 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 12:22am #6

Find a demo day and try them all outside if possible. I’m looking at taylormade p790 and ping g410 but will hit others as well.

Post edited by Cwing on
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • kiwiikiwii Members Posts: 734 ✭✭

If you like the 0311XF you might like ping G line (g400,g410 or g700), Callaway Rogue Standard or X or TM M CGB. All these listed are similar in offset, head size and sole width.

Sometimes recommendations crack me up. JPX 900 Forged are not the same category of club as a 0311xf. It’s like recommending someone a 4 door sedan when they are asking for recommendations on a Full size SUV. Different models have different attributes.

'17 M1 460 9.5/ Rogue Silver
    XR '14 Pro/ PX LZ
    Adams 9031 18°/ Diamana WB
    716 AP24-pw/DG AMT S300
    '14 TM TP 52/56/60
    2014 Squareback/ Lamkin DE + 2 wraps
    Ogio Ozone, TM targa tour
    Tour Boost 360
    TM TP5/ Srixon Zstar XV
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,719 ✭✭

G410 and F9s are some of the best bangs for the buck out there?!

Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • jcorna01jcorna01 Members Posts: 608 ✭✭

Never know until you try. I demo'd everything excluding blades and super GI irons (many of them twice) and ended up with Srixon z585 in my fitting.

• PacificgemPacificgem Victoria BC, CanadaMembers Posts: 46 ✭✭

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pros are sweet clubs to hit and super attractive to the eye.

Driver: Callaway GBB EPIC Tensei Orange 60S 9.5°
    3 Wood: TaylorMade M2 15°
    2 Iron: TaylorMade 790 UDI 17°
    Irons: Mizuno HM Pro 4-GW Modus3 R
    Wedge: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 56°
    Wedge: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 60° 
    Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

• craigstercraigster Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

The Ping 410 were every thing you said they were. Butter ! Very close if not on par to the PXG..and a lot easier on the wallet.

@craigster said:
    The Ping 410 were every thing you said they were. Butter ! Very close if not on par to the PXG..and a lot easier on the wallet.

They are pretty darn good! Trust me, would not be in my bag if they weren't lol. I'm too big of an equipment **** and I tend to be forged only.

PING Sigam G Tyne
  • KevmontonKevmonton Members Posts: 222 ✭✭

If you haven't bought a set of irons in 10 years I would say buy the PXG's. You will regret it if you don't and if you keep those 10 years what is the difference. If they are double the cost of the 410's as an example it is like buying a new set after 5 years. ......Buy first/justify later!

• duffer18duffer18 Members Posts: 351 ✭✭

My drive swing speed is a bit slower than yours, 90-95, and my handicap is a bit higher, 13-14. Really hard to select proper irons without a good fitting. I just had one last week. I figured I'd walk out with Ping 410s or Rogues or Mizunos. Ended up with a shaft from a manufacturer, ACCA, I've never heard of and is somewhere between a regular and stiff (you're almost certainly a stiff). When we paired that shaft with most heads, the heads (Srixon, Callaway, Ping, Mizuno) all felt okay. When we put that shaft with a Taylormade M5, it felt like angels singing when I hit the ball solidly. I don't know why. I don't know whether these things will be harder for me to control on the course. All I know is that that particular combination was better in terms of sound, feel, and distance than anything else--the Rogue head was a close second in dispersion. I'm not telling you to try that combination. I'm telling you to get fit and/or try a bunch of things. If you haven't looked much in 10 years, you'll be looking at a much more complicated array of options.

• platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,432 ClubWRX

My next iron to try will be the F9.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Members Posts: 908 ✭✭

The Maltby TS-2 are $450. They are built in the same way, forged, hollow head with urethane. Had them on a monitor back to back with the PXGs and launch and spin were nearly identical. Best deal in golf for cutting edge tech. By a long shot. .

@craigster said:

They are pretty darn good! Trust me, would not be in my bag if they weren't lol. I'm too big of an equipment **** and I tend to be forged only.> @Popeye64 said:

The Maltby TS-2 are $450. They are built in the same way, forged, hollow head with urethane. Had them on a monitor back to back with the PXGs and launch and spin were nearly identical. Best deal in golf for cutting edge tech. By a long shot. .

Problem is they arent worth $50 after you have taken delivery. Good product but with nothing slightly used.

PING Sigam G Tyne
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭

Miura baby blades with S300 shafts.

Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Odyssey RX9
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Members Posts: 908 ✭✭

@LaymanM said:

@craigster said:

They are pretty darn good! Trust me, would not be in my bag if they weren't lol. I'm too big of an equipment **** and I tend to be forged only.> @Popeye64 said:

Problem is they arent worth $50 after you have taken delivery. Good product but with nothing slightly used.

Well let's talk economy to scale. Buy a set of PXGs for 3k and take them home and they are worth half that IF......you can find someone to buy them at 1500.... so if I did sell the Maltbys at '$50' for some reason I'm more than ok with that instead of losing 1500.

As i said previously the PXG are well PXG's and the 410 were butter. Was about to pull the trigger on the 410's when i stopped in for a fitting just to check out these old bones and my swing.Seems we have slowed a bit lol.So i asked the fitter pick out any thing close to the 410. He hands me a Big Bertha 2019. Nice looking, black, sleek ish not your Dads BB .Wow factor.To me they actually felt better than the 410 a club longer and much tighter groups .I think im in love lol

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭

@duffer18 said:
    My drive swing speed is a bit slower than yours, 90-95, and my handicap is a bit higher, 13-14. Really hard to select proper irons without a good fitting. I just had one last week. I figured I'd walk out with Ping 410s or Rogues or Mizunos. Ended up with a shaft from a manufacturer, ACCA, I've never heard of and is somewhere between a regular and stiff (you're almost certainly a stiff). When we paired that shaft with most heads, the heads (Srixon, Callaway, Ping, Mizuno) all felt okay. When we put that shaft with a Taylormade M5, it felt like angels singing when I hit the ball solidly. I don't know why. I don't know whether these things will be harder for me to control on the course. All I know is that that particular combination was better in terms of sound, feel, and distance than anything else--the Rogue head was a close second in dispersion. I'm not telling you to try that combination. I'm telling you to get fit and/or try a bunch of things. If you haven't looked much in 10 years, you'll be looking at a much more complicated array of options.

I got fit on Friday... it was a very eye opening experience into my biases and what I actually need... I figured I'd end up with Pings and C-Tapers and ended up in Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with DG 120s.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

@Myherobobhope said:

@duffer18 said:

I got fit on Friday... it was a very eye opening experience into my biases and what I actually need... I figured I'd end up with Pings and C-Tapers and ended up in Mizuno Hot Metal Pros with DG 120s.

Put the Recoil F3 460 and they felt incredible

• lang30lang30 Hawkeye Members Posts: 323 ✭✭

@platgof said:
    My next iron to try will be the F9.

Loving mine. Had a bit of a snafu with swing weight initially (e0) +1" c-tapers. Made the decision to take a half inch off and put on a heavier grip, which brought them to around d6 - they now feel perfect.

Anyway, back to OP, so many good choices out there - try as many as you can. The F9 wasn't even on my radar until, on a whim, i decided to hit a demo club.

G400 Max 9 Degree Tour75x
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Cobra F9 4 - GW C-Taper s+
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58 DG x100
    Taylormade Spider X