How I learned to stop worrying and love single-length irons

 pinestreetgolf ·  
pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3539WRX Points: 340Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees
Joined:  in Equipment #1

I've been one of the biggest detractors of SL on this forum, pretty consistently. I will play them this season. I wanted to share what I learned and why I think you should try them.
First, I made a mistake I am constantly on others for making. I thought all-or-none. The whole "same stance, same swing, same plane" thing isn't true. However, I decided that since one of them wasn't true (if the lie changes, it all changes) then none of it was true. That was dumb. Its about 80% true, and that is a lot. What i mean by that is that I struggle with ball position. Now I don't. The club always feels the same, so you always just sort of start lining up the same all the time. Its hard to describe, exactly. When my ball position creeps back I start to get stuck. Now it doesn't creep back. I grab the club, and the address position feels natural and easy.
Second, I made the mistake of thinking yardage gaps have to be consistent to be useful. They don't. As my SL set tends towards its extremes, my gaps get larger. My 5 iron isn't 10 yards behind my 6. But I know how far it is behind my six and i know i hit the center more often, so effectively, because I get much better contact, my gap is much more consistent even though it is smaller.
Third, I learned to hit a hybrid. I play them through 4 iron. I cannot get a SL 4 iron off the ground consistently, but my gaggle of G30 hybrids from 2nd swing is fantastic.
Fourth, I kept my PM Grind for in and around the green complex.
Fifth, it makes practice MUCH more effective. Swap them out all the time. Hit a 6, hit a SW, hit a 9, hit a 7, rapid fire.

It took me a long time to get used to them, but the two massive pros are the setup/stance and practice. You set up the same way almost instinctively and that is HUGE. I also feel like I get a ton more out of practice AND that my practice feels like the course a lot more.

There are some drawbacks. I found three specialty shots I had to add clubs at top and bottom to pull off:
1. A short-game only club, like a PM Grind.
2. Where the last SL doesn't get airborne anymore. I used 3 hybrids below it. They hit middles of greens.
3. Ground balls - I can't punch out nearly as well with a SL 5 as a CB 3 or 4. I've learned to use my driver on this shot.

If you are thinking about something new for irons and have some cash I would recommend trying SL. It grew on me. I was wrong about it. The key is to stick with it. Just throw them in the bag for two months and when practicing switch up irons constantly - do NOT just bang one iron with an SL set.
Finally, either get fit or play with lie angle alot. Mine are +3 up and I'm only 6'. Feel great, dead even dirt line. But since they are all the same, they better be right.

Just my thoughts on SL. They'll be in my bag for the May - Sept. tournaments. I would highly recommend 1. ignoring my earlier posts on them and 2. trying them.

PSG

Posted:
Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
Ping G30 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6 Hybrids TFC 419 Stiff Flex
M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
Cameron Mallet
«13
3

Comments

  • LobberLobber  2514WRX Points: 197Members Posts: 2,514 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2

    Thanks for sharing your insights! I am someone who is currently in the same boat but looking for ways to improve my iron play.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ChrisLC40ChrisLC40 Rochester, NY 94WRX Points: 58Handicap: 6 month wintersMembers Posts: 94 Fairways
    Joined:  #3

    OP I love how you summed everything up. I made the switch a little over 2 years ago and have made huge improvements. At times I think about going back to variable length irons because of the offerings, but OL is so repeatable and I feel I may go backwards and need to relearn some things.

    Posted:
    TM M5 9.0
    Ping G410 3W
    Ping G410 4H
    Ping i210 4-W
    Ping Glide Forged 50 & 58
    Cleveland RTX4 54
    Cleveland HB Soft #1
  • pltplt  118WRX Points: 93Members Posts: 118 Fairways
    Joined:  #4

    Good writeup PSG. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on the results.

    Posted:
  • BadshaftBadshaft  145WRX Points: 84Members Posts: 145 Fairways
    Joined:  #5

    Well that’s a change in position and nice summary write up 👍

    Posted:
  • LONGBALL777LONGBALL777  130WRX Points: 53Handicap: 20Members Posts: 130 Fairways
    Joined:  #6

    Welcome to the Dark Side!

    Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25291WRX Points: 2,350Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,291 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #7

    Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tbowles411tbowles411  25563WRX Points: 703Handicap: GolfClubWRX Posts: 25,563 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

    Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

    Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**





  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13314WRX Points: 2,187Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,314 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 22, 2019 #9

    PSG
    Great post, thx for sharing
    What length are you at? Swingweight? Pics?
    I made some major changes in the off-season as well.
    Pseudo MOI, 3/8" spacing from 5 to 9 iron then 1/4" to PW then 1/4" per W to LW .. and graphite
    loving it. Shorter 5 and 6 are way easier to hit as are the longer wedges. Progressive swingweights always agreed with me

    Posted:

    Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

    '19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25291WRX Points: 2,350Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,291 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #10

    On -, @tbowles411 said:

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

    Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

    Results don't lie TB. Index is down 5 shots since last September, GIR is up 4 per round and with the Arccos data you know exactly how far you hit each club and what's the max you can get out of an iron. I struggled last year and have 100% more confidence. I love the simplicity of every normal shot having the ball position exactly the same, having the same stance, etc.

    Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2737WRX Points: 624Members Posts: 2,737 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #11

    I played them for almost a year before switching back to VL last summer. I played some decent golf with them but the wedges just didn’t work for me and although I could’ve probably did a lot of tweaking to get it right it kinda defeated the purpose.

    Posted:
  • g-offg-off  412WRX Points: 143Handicap: 16.9Members Posts: 412 Greens
    Joined:  #12

    Pine,
    after many of your other thoughts during the sl vs vl debate, welcome aboard, I have still found I do like a specialty wedge a bit shorter, my edels are 37 my one true wedge is 36. You should try minimalist single length for an entertaining day!

    Posted:
    905t

    steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

    eye2 becu

    hoganardi baby ben currently

    always hoing the next best thing
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 7005WRX Points: 1,050Handicap: 7Members Posts: 7,005 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #13

    Pine, if you don't mind sharing, what prompted you to give single length a try, that has you now committing to them?

    Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.25"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.25"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

    Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

    Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000  1221WRX Points: 210Handicap: 10Members Posts: 1,221 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #14

    Glad to read it. I used to get mad that you were so strongly opposed when you had not played them. :smile:
    Some people get hung up on thinking that they aren't supposed to have a shorter wedge. I kept one, no big deal. As to hybrids, that's no biggie either. I mean, it'd be great if we could get good results with 13 clubs the same length, but that's just not possible. Having SL irons is a huge simplification of the game, regardless of the rest of the bag.

    Posted:
    Driver M4
    5W Cleveland Launcher HB
    4h, 5h, 6h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    6-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • contramotocontramoto  47WRX Points: 57Members Posts: 47 Bunkers
    Joined:  #15

    I have standard lengths up through 8i. Then 7 and 6 are SL with the 8i as the guide. I did this because...I was killing the P, 9 and 8. Just dialed in. Happy grin whenever I had those distances. Was using the 8i for up to 160y shots. Which is too far, really. I had to swing out of my shoes and it took perfect contact to do. A proper swing was just under 150y.
    But I just could not for the life of me get the 6 and 7 irons working. On a hunch, I cut down the 7, adjusted the lie and added some lead tape (Ping G irons). 160y with a PW swing. Then did the 6i.
    So, I have SL in 6, 7, 8. That's it. Three clubs.
    5 is a hybrid and I see no reason to change. Don't see a need to mess with PW-down either.
    Still have to learn to hit them all straight, but I get consistent contact and distances and that makes the game fun again.

    Posted:
  • Maton12Maton12 Sydney 46WRX Points: 35Handicap: 24Members Posts: 46 Bunkers
    Joined:  #16

    Enjoying my Cobra FMaxx SL
    Whist a few strokes have come off the still high handicap, consistency is lacking - especially out of fluffy rough - that's a real hit and miss shot for me
    Now place ball just forward of centre for the lower irons, and like OP much straighter 21 hybrid - but not always high

    Posted:
  • TKSTKS  263WRX Points: 150Handicap: 7Members Posts: 263 Greens
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @pinestreetgolf said:

    I've been one of the biggest detractors of SL on this forum, pretty consistently. I will play them this season. I wanted to share what I learned and why I think you should try them.
    First, I made a mistake I am constantly on others for making. I thought all-or-none. The whole "same stance, same swing, same plane" thing isn't true. However, I decided that since one of them wasn't true (if the lie changes, it all changes) then none of it was true. That was dumb. Its about 80% true, and that is a lot. What i mean by that is that I struggle with ball position. Now I don't. The club always feels the same, so you always just sort of start lining up the same all the time. Its hard to describe, exactly. When my ball position creeps back I start to get stuck. Now it doesn't creep back. I grab the club, and the address position feels natural and easy.
    Second, I made the mistake of thinking yardage gaps have to be consistent to be useful. They don't. As my SL set tends towards its extremes, my gaps get larger. My 5 iron isn't 10 yards behind my 6. But I know how far it is behind my six and i know i hit the center more often, so effectively, because I get much better contact, my gap is much more consistent even though it is smaller.
    Third, I learned to hit a hybrid. I play them through 4 iron. I cannot get a SL 4 iron off the ground consistently, but my gaggle of G30 hybrids from 2nd swing is fantastic.
    Fourth, I kept my PM Grind for in and around the green complex.
    Fifth, it makes practice MUCH more effective. Swap them out all the time. Hit a 6, hit a SW, hit a 9, hit a 7, rapid fire.

    It took me a long time to get used to them, but the two massive pros are the setup/stance and practice. You set up the same way almost instinctively and that is HUGE. I also feel like I get a ton more out of practice AND that my practice feels like the course a lot more.

    There are some drawbacks. I found three specialty shots I had to add clubs at top and bottom to pull off:
    1. A short-game only club, like a PM Grind.
    2. Where the last SL doesn't get airborne anymore. I used 3 hybrids below it. They hit middles of greens.
    3. Ground balls - I can't punch out nearly as well with a SL 5 as a CB 3 or 4. I've learned to use my driver on this shot.

    If you are thinking about something new for irons and have some cash I would recommend trying SL. It grew on me. I was wrong about it. The key is to stick with it. Just throw them in the bag for two months and when practicing switch up irons constantly - do NOT just bang one iron with an SL set.
    Finally, either get fit or play with lie angle alot. Mine are +3 up and I'm only 6'. Feel great, dead even dirt line. But since they are all the same, they better be right.

    Just my thoughts on SL. They'll be in my bag for the May - Sept. tournaments. I would highly recommend 1. ignoring my earlier posts on them and 2. trying them.

    PSG

    Yep, give it a couple months for the concept to take hold. First get them fit to you. Second be patient with the mental approach. Third simplify the setup but dont be afraid of making the shot.

    Posted:
    All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S (A)
    519 SHPR 11* Red Shaft -S (in beta)
    919F/D, Red Shaft
    929 Fwy 5 , Red Shaft
    575MMC 7-GW Wishon Smooth Steel - S (A)
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's (B)
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Single Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tbowles411tbowles411  25563WRX Points: 703Handicap: GolfClubWRX Posts: 25,563 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #18

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    On -, @tbowles411 said:

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

    Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

    Results don't lie TB. Index is down 5 shots since last September, GIR is up 4 per round and with the Arccos data you know exactly how far you hit each club and what's the max you can get out of an iron. I struggled last year and have 100% more confidence. I love the simplicity of every normal shot having the ball position exactly the same, having the same stance, etc.

    I wonder if someone could retrofit my Mizunos to SL?

    Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**





  • hayzoooshayzooos Madison, WI 6778WRX Points: 170Handicap: 4 kidsMembers Posts: 6,778 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #19

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

    DP!!!! You're now in the SL club, eh? Hope all is well with you friend and the courses around Chicago are open!

    Posted:
    Callaway Razr Hawk Tour Xphlexxx Agera
    TM M5 15* w/ UST Proforce V2
    TM P790 2 iron KBS Tour V
    Mizuno 900 Forged Nippon Modus3 120
    Vokey SM7 50F/54S/58M AMT White S400
    Odyssey MXM #1W
    WITB Link
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25291WRX Points: 2,350Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,291 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #20

    On -, @hayzooos said:

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

    DP!!!! You're now in the SL club, eh? Hope all is well with you friend and the courses around Chicago are open!

    Hey HZ...how are you? How's life in the land of Cheese and Beer? Are you getting to play much? I joined the dark side...won't be looking back...for a while! Let me know if you ever get back down this way.

    Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25291WRX Points: 2,350Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,291 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #21

    On -, @tbowles411 said:

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    On -, @tbowles411 said:

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

    Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

    Results don't lie TB. Index is down 5 shots since last September, GIR is up 4 per round and with the Arccos data you know exactly how far you hit each club and what's the max you can get out of an iron. I struggled last year and have 100% more confidence. I love the simplicity of every normal shot having the ball position exactly the same, having the same stance, etc.

    I wonder if someone could retrofit my Mizunos to SL?

    On -, @tbowles411 said:

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    On -, @tbowles411 said:

    On -, @DavePelz4 said:

    Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

    Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

    Results don't lie TB. Index is down 5 shots since last September, GIR is up 4 per round and with the Arccos data you know exactly how far you hit each club and what's the max you can get out of an iron. I struggled last year and have 100% more confidence. I love the simplicity of every normal shot having the ball position exactly the same, having the same stance, etc.

    I wonder if someone could retrofit my Mizunos to SL?

    That's beyond my paygrade TB but the heads have very different shapes and weights. The longer irons have heads that weight more to increase speed and distance while compensating for the length. The GW is a blade which is crazy, too.

    Posted:
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3539WRX Points: 340Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 23, 2019 #22

    On -, @cardoustie said:

    PSG
    Great post, thx for sharing
    What length are you at? Swingweight? Pics?
    I made some major changes in the off-season as well.
    Pseudo MOI, 3/8" spacing from 5 to 9 iron then 1/4" to PW then 1/4" per W to LW .. and graphite
    loving it. Shorter 5 and 6 are way easier to hit as are the longer wedges. Progressive swingweights always agreed with me

    I don't know the swingweight, but I suspect its around D3. They are all exactly 37", Integra clone grips, Apollo stiff stepless shafts. A very budget-y steup. 65.25 lie, which is a bit upright for me, but they are pretty good feeling after playing with them a while.

    I'll grab a pic tonight. They look great in the bag, and they hunt pins. Hybrids hit to the middle, SLs hunt pins. It makes the decision of where to aim much easier. Its not nearly as much of a gradual scale in accuracy from longest iron to shortest.

    I thought longer wedges would be harder but they are easier. They are also easier for low shots around the green. That said, I have to keep practicing or keep my PM grind because i can't hit high quick-stopper or a bunker shot with SL lob wedge to save my life.

    I'm currently playing G30 Driver, 3-4-5 G30 hybrids, 5-SW SL (even though 5 SL and 5 hybrid are both the same loft, they hybrid is 10 yards longer), 64 PM grind and putter. I'd love to lose the PM for a SL LW, though. I am on the fence between a fourth hybrid (the 2 hybrid) and the G30 3 wood. I used to play Z-Star XV because of club speed putting to much spin and now I play V1s.

    On -, @NRJyzr said:

    Pine, if you don't mind sharing, what prompted you to give single length a try, that has you now committing to them?

    Randomness, to be honest. I tried them a few times but it wasn't nearly enough to get used to them. Then I saw a local CL ad with a set of PinHawks with cheap Apollo senior flex shafts for a mind-bogglingly low price (sub $75). Snatched them up. I immediately changed the grips and the label on the butt of the 6 iron said Stiff not Senior. This was around late November last year. I play the usual middle-aged-guy-who-can-it-decently-far-trying-to-get-lucky amateur tournaments (USGA qualifiers, state am, mid am, match and stroke club champs). These all happen from May to late October, so the rest of the year is kind-of mess around time. I threw the SLs in the bag for the j40s and decided just to try it out for a while, at least until I had to start "tuning up" for the "season". Turns out, after about 60 days, I started to hit more greens. I lost about a club per iron but gained a whole lot in strike quality, I think because of set up.

    The clincher was a round on the City Park South Course practicing for the State Am. I hit 9 greens and shot 36 and it didn't feel like an event it just felt normal. That was the clincher for me, that round. They are middle of the green machines.

    They do require a lot of other stuff, though. I had to switch to a much higher spin ball for the short and intermediate wedge game, etc... But if you put in the work they are very, very consistent in terms of strike and flight.

    Anyway, I wanted to post because i was a vociferous opponent of SL before based on week or two week try outs, and it doesn't work that way. Its not like subbing in another VL iron set. Its a totally new way to play but i think its a better one especially in tournaments where 67-74 can win. This set is cool but I've already ordered lighter shafts and I will get real golf pride NDMCs instead of the clones. I'm 99% sticking with the PinHawk heads now that I'm use the offset.

    Yesterday I walked nine, hit seven greens, flew a wedge shot from 84 (<-infuriating) and was pin high on the other missed green just into the rough. Its just so consistent its mind-boggling. I considered myself a good iron player before but its nowhere near as easy when its always the same. Greens are big. If you hit it hard and straight and think chances are you'll end up coming to rest somewhere on one.

    Edit:
    I am grabbing quotes from custom head-makers to make a SL set of my beloved j40 heads (same weight, offset, look, size, everything... just all 265 grams and 63.5 lie). Very expensive though, so I think I'll be with the PinHawks for a while until I know I want to commit to something like that.

    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Ping G30 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6 Hybrids TFC 419 Stiff Flex
    M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
    PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
    Cameron Mallet
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13314WRX Points: 2,187Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,314 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #23

    Really on the surface your set is not much different than mine
    Glad to see you worked your way into something that works
    Stay with the PM lob. A good "outlier/specialty club" plan IMO
    I hear you on the hybrids, The Cally Apex I favor are so easy to hit compared to equivalent irons

    Posted:

    Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

    '19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know...  19305WRX Points: 1,394Members Posts: 19,305 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #24

    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • tatertottatertot  4609WRX Points: 920Members Posts: 4,609 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #25

    Great write up ...

    I wanted to love my Cobras SO MUCH ... but I couldn't. Wish I had read this before selling 'em.

    Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • LodestoneLodestone  3373WRX Points: 331Members Posts: 3,373 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #26

    Thanks for the post. I am in the earliest stages of my single length journey. I am enjoying it. Hitting some good shots. Hitting some dreadful shots, but they have nothing to do with the single length feature. Right now it's all about trusting the distances, which is going to take some time. This time of year in the northeast we have lots of wind, and wet courses.
    Today I tagged my 4h which would normally be a 175 yard shot. I tried to hit it 150 into a stiff wind. It went 130, and I nailed it. So trying to figure the distance on these new clubs right now is hopeless. I'm just trying to make the same swing with all of them.. It's really weird.

    Posted:
    FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3539WRX Points: 340Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #27

    On -, @Lodestone said:

    Thanks for the post. I am in the earliest stages of my single length journey. I am enjoying it. Hitting some good shots. Hitting some dreadful shots, but they have nothing to do with the single length feature. Right now it's all about trusting the distances, which is going to take some time. This time of year in the northeast we have lots of wind, and wet courses.
    Today I tagged my 4h which would normally be a 175 yard shot. I tried to hit it 150 into a stiff wind. It went 130, and I nailed it. So trying to figure the distance on these new clubs right now is hopeless. I'm just trying to make the same swing with all of them.. It's really weird.

    You shouldn't try to make the same swing with all of them. That's the trick. Like, if you signed your name twice fast they would both look similar but if you signed once and then tried to painstakingly copy that signature exactly it would be hard. You still have to play golf with SL. Twilight round, missed right on 5 at same course city park south, deep rough but clear shot from 145. Hit a punch 6. You still have to play golf.

    Its same setup and stance, not same swing, IMO. Again, IMO. Its still golf and you still need to fit the swing to the shot. You don't swing your 8 iron the same way with a VL set, so you don't swing all SL clubs the same.

    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Ping G30 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6 Hybrids TFC 419 Stiff Flex
    M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
    PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
    Cameron Mallet
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MychMych  2096WRX Points: 346Members Posts: 2,096 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #28

    I still play normal length wedges with my SL's, but if I ever went back to VL I think I'd try a 3-tiered combo set with 4-6 at 5i length, 7-9 at 8i length, and standard length wedges. I think that would help the long iron distance & gapping and the short iron accuracy, which are my only concerns with SL. But the longer I use my SL's, the more resistant I become to changing so I could end up playing my current set for quite a while.

    Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3539WRX Points: 340Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #29

    On -, @Mych said:

    I still play normal length wedges with my SL's, but if I ever went back to VL I think I'd try a 3-tiered combo set with 4-6 at 5i length, 7-9 at 8i length, and standard length wedges. I think that would help the long iron distance & gapping and the short iron accuracy, which are my only concerns with SL. But the longer I use my SL's, the more resistant I become to changing so I could end up playing my current set for quite a while.

    The difference in effectiveness in practice is massive. Its helpful to 10 clubs, not 1, when you do drill on the range. I'd worry about losing that with a tier'd set.

    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Ping G30 2, 3, 4, 5*, 6 Hybrids TFC 419 Stiff Flex
    M2 7-AW ReAx 75 Graphite
    PM Grind 56* KBS Rev 2.0
    Cameron Mallet
  • LodestoneLodestone  3373WRX Points: 331Members Posts: 3,373 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @pinestreetgolf said:

    On -, @Lodestone said:

    Thanks for the post. I am in the earliest stages of my single length journey. I am enjoying it. Hitting some good shots. Hitting some dreadful shots, but they have nothing to do with the single length feature. Right now it's all about trusting the distances, which is going to take some time. This time of year in the northeast we have lots of wind, and wet courses.
    Today I tagged my 4h which would normally be a 175 yard shot. I tried to hit it 150 into a stiff wind. It went 130, and I nailed it. So trying to figure the distance on these new clubs right now is hopeless. I'm just trying to make the same swing with all of them.. It's really weird.

    You shouldn't try to make the same swing with all of them. That's the trick. Like, if you signed your name twice fast they would both look similar but if you signed once and then tried to painstakingly copy that signature exactly it would be hard. You still have to play golf with SL. Twilight round, missed right on 5 at same course city park south, deep rough but clear shot from 145. Hit a punch 6. You still have to play golf.

    Its same setup and stance, not same swing, IMO. Again, IMO. Its still golf and you still need to fit the swing to the shot. You don't swing your 8 iron the same way with a VL set, so you don't swing all SL clubs the same.

    OK, I see your point. But if you were facing a shot that was your 5 iron dead on number, the number that you feel is "the number" for your 5 iron, and later facing a shot that was your G wedge dead on number, would try to make the same swing for both, or would you swing longer with the 5 to try to generate more clubhead speed to get the ball "up"?

    Posted:
    FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000  1221WRX Points: 210Handicap: 10Members Posts: 1,221 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #31

    VL irons can be made to be SL, I have done it from 5 - GW. You'll have to drill out weight from the shorter iron heads, and add weight to the longer iron heads. I used lead tape for that. I am not that familiar with the J40's, but maybe you could just check out the Cobra Forged Ones.

    Posted:
    Driver M4
    5W Cleveland Launcher HB
    4h, 5h, 6h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    6-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.