SM7 Finishes vs. Price...thoughts?

tftimmtftimm SouthTXMembers Posts: 469 ✭✭

I want to replace my T5 wedges...and I really like the SM7 wedges, the bounce options and the way they look at address.
My question is the finish. Is it worth $40-50 for the raw finish? Being able to put some stampings on it, in addition to not having a refective face would be good. If not, how about the Jet Black wedges? Can I get initials and other stampings if I order the Chrome?
I'm a 5 handicap, yet don't play often. Wedges will last me 2-3 years easy. I'm not a club hoe, so I'm willing to make the investment and spend a little extra to get some good wedges. Also, I'm going to g o with KBS shafts, not the DG wedge shafts. I've played KBS in my wedges and like the feel/weight, etc.
Thoughts?

Titleist 913D2 9.5 Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo II stiff
TEE 15* CBX Kuro Kage 70 stiff
Titleist 910h 19* Kuro Kage 80HY stiff
MP-18 FliHi 3-5  MP-18 SC 6-pm,  +.5",  KBS C-Taper R
Titleist SM7 Raw 52*+58* KBS Tour stiff +.25", .5* up
RIFE Barbados SS

Comments

• varnovarno Laguna Beach, CAMembers Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭

You’ll have all of those options on the Vokey website, and you can build and populate all of your stamps, finishes, shafts, grips etc and play around with all the options. It will spit out a picture of the heads for you too with the stamps.

I went to the raws starting with the SM6 release and haven’t looked back. I like the finish, the way it patina’s and the general feel looking down at them. Make sure you wipe them dry, I’ve had rust spots start before the end of a round in the rain before. Nothing some steel wool and a bit of gun oil or silicone won’t fix. Keep them clean and they’ll treat you well.

• tftimmtftimm SouthTX Members Posts: 469 ✭✭

For the same reasons, I'm leaning towards the Raw finish...but they are a bit pricier.

RIFE Barbados SS
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thought a big reason raw was popular beside there’s no glare was because they rust and the rust give a hint of extra grit to the face.

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • varnovarno Laguna Beach, CAMembers Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I don’t keep them shined up or anything. They have a nice patina. Just don’t want spot pitting by leaving them wet. Haven’t found any discernible performance difference in a more/or less rusty raw wedge face. Could be there, but it’s not like the ball stops noticeably quicker.

@noodle3872 said:
    Thought a big reason raw was popular beside there’s no glare was because they rust and the rust give a hint of extra grit to the face.

• HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

I would say it's worth it since you plan on using them for a few seasons. I had SM7 chrome but sold them and bought the slate blue because I liked the look and no glare.

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW - TT DG X7
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • tips09tips09 Members Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

Another option is to get the jet black and strip them yourself to a raw finish if you like the raw and don’t want to spend the extra cash.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* Paderson Kinetixx VMT 870 S+
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z565 3 Iron Steelfiber I95 S
    Srixon Z765 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 3 48* 54* DG S400
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58* DG S400
    Cleveland HB #1
    Srixon Z Star
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got the black finish. From now on every wedge I get will have that finish. No glare at all.

GO DAWGS
  • AmayarokAmayarok Members Posts: 2

I had my wedges in Jet Black and ended up exchanging them after a few rounds for Slate Blue. I didn't mind the fact that the Jet Black would rust over time, it was more so about wear on the face. If you toe shot 1 ball, there will be a mark in that spot permanently, or until the entire rest of the face wears.

Can't go wrong with Slate Blue if you're willing to fork out extra cash. They look more charcoal/black in person and the finish has the same durability of Tour Chrome.

Ping G410 Plus - Tensei CK Orange 60 X
    Ping G410 5W - Tensei CK Orange 70 X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3I-PW - Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/56S/60M - Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5

• gdb99gdb99 Members Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I soaked my Jet Black wedges in white vinegar overnight, took a green scouring pad to it, and it came out great. Nice and raw.

Cobra King LTD, Diamana Redboard stiff flex
    Titleist 917F 16.5, Diamana Tensei Blue regular flex
    Cleveland DST 3 hybrid, Diamana Redboard regular flex 
    Titleist AP1, 5-PW, Dynalite XP R300
    Vokey SM7 52F
    Vokey SM7 56M
    Cleveland 588RTG 60
    Odyssey #2
  • drscott266drscott266 Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@FlyingLaw1 said:
    I've got the black finish. From now on every wedge I get will have that finish. No glare at all.

This. I tried chrome one time and promptly sold them, the black finish will wear as you hit them which might annoy some, but the benefits far outweigh that. No glare is the key, and they look sharp to match.

• indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Raw is awesome! Do Not put gun oil or any other type of oul on them...especially on the face. Let them do their thing!

• drscott266drscott266 Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@indianalawnguy said:
    Raw is awesome! Do Not put gun oil or any other type of oul on them...especially on the face. Let them do their thing!

As the raw rust they take on a really cool look of their own. I had a set of oil can SM4’s and they were my favorite wedges ever. The uncharge now is just too much for me to justify over black.

• SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tftimm the reason raw wedges are attractive to a majority of players is because 1. no glare, and 2. the finish does not show wear as much as chrome or other finishes. I personally got the Jet Black, and utilizing the white vinegar technique, removed the black finish. If you don't have the time to "raw" the black finish, spend the extra and get the actual raw wedge from Titleist.

TITLEIST - VOKEY - SCOTTY CAMERON

TS3 9.5º - LinQ Purple 6F5     TS3 16.5º @ 15.75º - LinQ Purple 7F5     818 H2 21º @ 20º - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5

718 AP3 4 & 5 + AP2 6-P - DGTI AMT X100     SM7 50.12F   54.14F   60.12D @ 59º - WV125S

Futura 5.5M - GP Tour SNSR Contour Pro 104cc - 34.5"

• tftimmtftimm SouthTX Members Posts: 469 ✭✭

I ended up ordering SM7 Raw wedges, 52/58 and used Wedgeworks to design them with my daughters name stamped in their favorite colors, colored band, KBS shaft, grip I wanted, +0.25", 0.5* upright on both. Probably not the cheapest way to go, but I went all out and got what I really wanted. I don't feel bad as I typically use wedges for years before changing them out. I went and looked at Cleveland, Callaway, Mizuno and other wedges and I liked the look/setup of the Vokeys much better.
    Looking forward to it

RIFE Barbados SS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file