Grilling Season

JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous todayPAMembers Posts: 275 ✭✭
edited Apr 22, 2019 10:34am in The 19th Hole #1

Has anyone had any luck with buying steaks online?

It's hard (impossible) to find better/unusual cuts of beef at the Piggly Wiggly. I'm trying to figure out if the added cost of S&H + higher grade + possibility of spoilage is worth it.

Also, some of the local ranchers sell beef directly from their farm stands. Anyone ever tried doing that?

Comments

  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members Posts: 10,139 ✭✭

    Few things.... First, did you ask Piggly Wiggly if they can special order? My local grocery store will order anything that is available on their order guides for customers as a special request. This spans meat, produce, groceries, whatever. Second, the local option may be great, just really depends if you like the quality and can handle quantity requirements. I do have one local farm that requires no minimum, so you can go just get some ground beef or a few steaks if they have it in stock. Many farms require at least 1/4 cow which is a lot of meat to get and store, but not sure that satisfies the "unusual" cut thing. Finally, snake river farms seems to be a pretty decent option. It's popular with a lot of folks.

  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,576 ✭✭

    I think a lot of people have luck at Costco. Or so I hear. I am not a member

  • kthomaskthomas Members Posts: 40 ✭✭

    @BB28403 said:
    I think a lot of people have luck at Costco. Or so I hear. I am not a member

    @BB28403 said:
    I think a lot of people have luck at Costco. Or so I hear. I am not a member

    Costco is great.

    I buy whole primals of prime grade Ribeye for $9/lb, which I dry age at home.

    Good prices and good quality.

  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 797 ✭✭

    Although I'm sure its not cheap, https://www.buckheadbeef.com/ is well known here in the southeast.

  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭

    @JohnnyCashForever said:
    Has anyone had any luck with buying steaks online?

    It's hard (impossible) to find better/unusual cuts of beef at the Piggly Wiggly. I'm trying to figure out if the added cost of S&H + higher grade + possibility of spoilage is worth it.

    Also, some of the local ranchers sell beef directly from their farm stands. Anyone ever tried doing that?

    Where are you located? I make it my mission to find good butchers and farms... it’s definitely worth going to the farmers markets and buying meat. Talk to the guys there, in my experience the best meat comes from those who are passionate about what they do and will take the time to talk to you about why they do the things they do. If they tell you they have Kobe beef they are lying. If they say they have wagyu ask them to clarify... its most likely a crossbreed. I prefer grass raised and grain finished, but I’d suggest trying it all.

    Find the people who care about what they are doing and ask questions and listen to them. I’ve had butchers give me free stuff to try because I obviously cared about what I was doing.

    I’ve also ordered from snake river farms. $225 for 24 ounces of wagyu rib-eye cap. It was amazing, but I haven’t done it again. I can recommend some sites to check out if you are interested, but I highly recommend buying local for many reasons... mostly to support local and remove transportation costs and logistics.

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous today PAMembers Posts: 275 ✭✭

    @Myherobobhope said:

    @JohnnyCashForever said:
    Has anyone had any luck with buying steaks online?

    It's hard (impossible) to find better/unusual cuts of beef at the Piggly Wiggly. I'm trying to figure out if the added cost of S&H + higher grade + possibility of spoilage is worth it.

    Also, some of the local ranchers sell beef directly from their farm stands. Anyone ever tried doing that?

    Where are you located? I make it my mission to find good butchers and farms... it’s definitely worth going to the farmers markets and buying meat. Talk to the guys there, in my experience the best meat comes from those who are passionate about what they do and will take the time to talk to you about why they do the things they do. If they tell you they have Kobe beef they are lying. If they say they have wagyu ask them to clarify... its most likely a crossbreed. I prefer grass raised and grain finished, but I’d suggest trying it all.

    Find the people who care about what they are doing and ask questions and listen to them. I’ve had butchers give me free stuff to try because I obviously cared about what I was doing.

    I’ve also ordered from snake river farms. $225 for 24 ounces of wagyu rib-eye cap. It was amazing, but I haven’t done it again. I can recommend some sites to check out if you are interested, but I highly recommend buying local for many reasons... mostly to support local and remove transportation costs and logistics.

    Thanks for the advice.

    I'd like to try some of the local farms, but is there any possibility of buying tainted meat? I'm assuming that the meat is not inspected by the USDA. Let me know if this is silly, but does this bring mad cow disease into play?

  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭

    No. It does not. Honestly, the right butcher or farmer is going to be more on top of quality control. If I get sick from dream catcher beef that Stan sold me (real farm and farmer, great guy) I can easily avoid him and spread the word. You have no idea where groceries source their beef.

    Farmers markets are fun. Sadly, they are best on days where it’s best to play golf.

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous today PAMembers Posts: 275 ✭✭

    Thanks MHBH. I'll check out my local farm stands.

  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭

    Of course! I love sourcing local beef. It's fun to talk to people who actually know the land and run a ranch... I also recommend googling butchers near you and checking them out. A good butch is a fun place to visit and they are all different. I learned to get INTO meat at a butcher in DC... I've since visited many and always had a good time.

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

  • BicknellCCBicknellCC Members Posts: 1,367 ✭✭

    This place is awesome

  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous today PAMembers Posts: 275 ✭✭

    @Myherobobhope said:
    Of course! I love sourcing local beef. It's fun to talk to people who actually know the land and run a ranch... I also recommend googling butchers near you and checking them out. A good butch is a fun place to visit and they are all different. I learned to get INTO meat at a butcher in DC... I've since visited many and always had a good time.

    Man, you're really into this. Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭

    @BicknellCC said:
    This place is awesome

    @BicknellCC said:
    This place is awesome

    Hmm... two hours away... little far for me!
    If they could source me reindeer, I’d be in. Not ground meat, I want full steaks.

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

  • JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers Posts: 842 ✭✭

    https://www.flannerybeef.com/ sign up for their emails. they run sales a few times during the year.

    Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood/Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
    Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭

    @JDFish said:
    https://www.flannerybeef.com/ sign up for their emails. they run sales a few times during the year.

    I've never ordered from here, but it bothers me off the bat they want $35 a pound for a ribeye and won't tell me where it's sourced from... https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/ has non-wagyu options for less and you know where the meat is from and how it is raised.

    https://shop.lafrieda.com/ is equally pricey but has the "name power" to back it up.

    http://www.dreamcatchergrassfed.com/ has Stan. I love Stan.

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

  • JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers Posts: 842 ✭✭

    @Myherobobhope said:

    @JDFish said:
    https://www.flannerybeef.com/ sign up for their emails. they run sales a few times during the year.

    I've never ordered from here, but it bothers me off the bat they want $35 a pound for a ribeye and won't tell me where it's sourced from... https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/ has non-wagyu options for less and you know where the meat is from and how it is raised.

    https://shop.lafrieda.com/ is equally pricey but has the "name power" to back it up.

    http://www.dreamcatchergrassfed.com/ has Stan. I love Stan.

    I can tell you from experience, Brian Flannery's product is the best I've ever purchased online (sadly I lost my local butcher when they moved their storefront). He interacts on a wine board I used to frequent (Wineberserkers) and has many satisfied wine geek customers, some of whom operate restaurants. If you contact them, they will answer any questions you have. They have great customer service.

    Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood/Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
    Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭

    @JDFish said:

    @Myherobobhope said:

    @JDFish said:
    https://www.flannerybeef.com/ sign up for their emails. they run sales a few times during the year.

    I've never ordered from here, but it bothers me off the bat they want $35 a pound for a ribeye and won't tell me where it's sourced from... https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/ has non-wagyu options for less and you know where the meat is from and how it is raised.

    https://shop.lafrieda.com/ is equally pricey but has the "name power" to back it up.

    http://www.dreamcatchergrassfed.com/ has Stan. I love Stan.

    I can tell you from experience, Brian Flannery's product is the best I've ever purchased online (sadly I lost my local butcher when they moved their storefront). He interacts on a wine board I used to frequent (Wineberserkers) and has many satisfied wine geek customers, some of whom operate restaurants. If you contact them, they will answer any questions you have. They have great customer service.

    Sounds good, if I order online anytime soon, I will give them a try (though aged beef isn't my favorite). I wasn't disparaging them, just disappointed they don't give all the information I want! If you ever find yourself in Louisville, find Stan at a Farmer's Market and give his beef a try... it's freaking amazing. (Pick up some bison from the KY bison company too!).

    Finding a good butcher is tough, I wish I had a better non farmer's market option... Sadly, Whole Foods is pretty consistently the best steak I can buy.

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭

    Also, if I were in C-bus, I'd go here: https://thebutcherandgrocer.com/

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,543 ClubWRX

    Costco has very good steaks. They have either very good Choice grade or more limited quantities of Prime grade steaks. While the Prime grade costs a bit more I go with these because of the marbling. Steaks are around $16/lb or so but worth it.

    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW S-200
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭

    @RobotDoctor said:
    Costco has very good steaks. They have either very good Choice grade or more limited quantities of Prime grade steaks. While the Prime grade costs a bit more I go with these because of the marbling. Steaks are around $16/lb or so but worth it.

    Costco is a pretty solid choice, especially with butchers on site... the rolled ribeye cap is especially good and you can actually buy it in reasonable quantities.

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,290 ✭✭

    How many of you clean your grill every season? I have a gas grill and there are a lot of crap under the burners.

  • JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers Posts: 842 ✭✭

    @Myherobobhope said:
    Also, if I were in C-bus, I'd go here: https://thebutcherandgrocer.com/

    I used to buy from them after my favorite butcher Bluescreek Farm Meats moved their storefront out of downtown Ohio closer to their farm. I knew one of the original partners of TB&G, who was a former Bluescreek employee, but he was allegedly screwed out of his share by the other two partners and a lawsuit ensued. I don't know what happened, but it soured me on that shop. I've also purchased from Blystone Farms - they have some locally farmed wagyu on occasion.

    Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood/Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
    Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭

    @JDFish said:

    @Myherobobhope said:
    Also, if I were in C-bus, I'd go here: https://thebutcherandgrocer.com/

    I used to buy from them after my favorite butcher Bluescreek Farm Meats moved their storefront out of downtown Ohio closer to their farm. I knew one of the original partners of TB&G, who was a former Bluescreek employee, but he was allegedly screwed out of his share by the other two partners and a lawsuit ensued. I don't know what happened, but it soured me on that shop. I've also purchased from Blystone Farms - they have some locally farmed wagyu on occasion.

    Yeah, that happens in business... sucks! I won't buy Angel's Envy because I heard the son forced his mom out of the business after his dad passed away... I have no idea if it's true or not, but I heard it from a reliable source.
    I did Wagyu once... from Snake River Farms up in Idaho... it was intense. It's on my list to do again, but I'd rather spend that cash on golf right now!

    Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

Sign In or Register to comment.