Iron type for controlling shots into the wind

eckmanjpeckmanjp Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

I'm a 9 handicap playing 714 AP2s with DG S300 shafts. I have a hard time keeping the ball from climbing up in the wind and I'm not sure what iron type I should be looking at in my next set. It seems that irons for my skill level are going into two different categories: (1) low spin, high launching distance irons (P790, i500) and (2) pro cavities that are higher spinning but lower launching. Which do you think performs better into the wind? I know shafts have a lot to do with how the ball launches and spins, but curious if there was an iron category or type that people think performs well into the wind.

Comments

• driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭

Into the wind, spin is NOT your friend. No matter how low launching it will balloon. I was an extremely high spin player, in my search for something lower spinning my three best were....
    TM P 790, Cobra Forged TEC, and Ping i500.
    The final piece is a shaft that spins high enough to hold greens, but not too high to balloon into the wind.

Driver - Ping 400 MAX on Tour 65 
    Fairway - Cobra F9 on UST Axivcore Black
    Others - Srixon 785 5 Wood on UST Axivcore Black or TM UDI 2 iron on Nippon 130 or Ping G400 17* 
    Irons - (4-A) Taylormade 790's on KBS Tour
    Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 3.0 55*, Rotex 4.0 60* on KBS tour
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - TM TP5x or Srixon Z Star XV
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,320 ✭✭

@eckmanjp said:
    I'm a 9 handicap playing 714 AP2s with DG S300 shafts. I have a hard time keeping the ball from climbing up in the wind and I'm not sure what iron type I should be looking at in my next set. It seems that irons for my skill level are going into two different categories: (1) low spin, high launching distance irons (P790, i500) and (2) pro cavities that are higher spinning but lower launching. Which do you think performs better into the wind? I know shafts have a lot to do with how the ball launches and spins, but curious if there was an iron category or type that people think performs well into the wind.

We need more information. How far do you hit your 7-iron? What is your driver swing speed?

You might need X100 shafts in your AP2's, or maybe not; but your swing speed would help answer that question.

Best response so far is to use a club or two stronger, and put a 3/4 swing on it to keep the flight down.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,070 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 4:23pm #6

@eckmanjp said:
    Which do you think performs better into the wind?

The one with the player using them who knows how to control their trajectory better. Yes the heads can make some difference but usually for most it's not enough to cross the line between ballooning and not ballooning. The dynamic loft you deliver with your swing is by far the most dominant factor.

Did you see how many problems the pro's had this weekend with ballooning at the RBC Heritage?

@eckmanjp said:
    I know shafts have a lot to do with how the ball launches and spins,

There are always exceptions but actually for most, it really isn't a lot - particularly with irons and a half-way decent fit for shaft stiffness. The shorter the playing length, the less effect the shaft will have.

• eckmanjpeckmanjp Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

@gvogel said:
    We need more information. How far do you hit your 7-iron? What is your driver swing speed?

I carry a 7 iron about 160 yards and have a driver SS of 103 mph

• Adam CAdam C Members Posts: 289 ✭✭

Shafts don't make enough difference to worry about, and you don't want to pick heads just based on into wind shots. Best tip for hitting into the wind, take more club, choke down, and swing slower. The harder you swing, the more the ball spins. The more loft you have, the more the ball spins.

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,072 ✭✭

@Adam C said:
    Shafts don't make enough difference to worry about, and you don't want to pick heads just based on into wind shots. Best tip for hitting into the wind, take more club, choke down, and swing slower. The harder you swing, the more the ball spins. The more loft you have, the more the ball spins.

This is dead on. Equipment can't solve every issue, at least not without causing a different issue. If you get something that launches lower with less spin, you won't be able to stop a ball on the green going downwind, maybe not even in calm conditions. Sometimes you actually need to learn to adapt to changing conditions all on your own.

@eckmanjp said:

@gvogel said:

Keep your AP2's as is.

• gbartkogbartko Whooooo! Members Posts: 663 ✭✭

I'm your huckleberry: blades!

Ping Rapture 12.5
    TEE CB4 Tour 16.5
    Callaway x2Hot Pro 20/23
    Ping i E1 5-U
    Ping Glide ES 54.5/60
    Ping iN Half Wack-e
    Titleist DT TruSoft

• ex0dusex0dus Members Posts: 500 ✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 10:40pm #14

A thinner sole will bring the center of gravity closer to face and lower the launch. Obviously MBs will do the trick but they don't have much forgiveness.
    A friend of mine used to play the razr x forged, which has a relatively thin sole but good forgiveness.

Srixon's recent irons (z585, z785 and previous versions z765, z565) have been relatively low spinning in the youtube tests i have seen.

I have seen several posters comment that the launch/spin of the ap2s were too high for them.

Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Ping Gorge wedges 56*, 52*
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 60*
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
  • mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 370 ✭✭

Sounds like you have good clubs and shaft combo for reducing spin. Shafts do make a difference...but don’t cure the upshoot into the wind. Good advice above about more club and swinging slower...speed equals spin. I find the biggest mistake people make into the wind is playing the ball too far back and hitting down too hard. The key is smooth through impact and finishing low in your follow through...not pounding it down...that creates that upshooting shot that the wind destroys

• rafalrafal Members Posts: 5,799 ✭✭

I'd say AP2s are not the problem here, I can play mine low...as opposed to something like G25s which I couldnt keep down against the wind.

TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Members Posts: 5,082 ✭✭

Playing well in windy conditions, is more about technique, ( flighting the ball with dynamic loft at impact ) . As stated above, choke down an inch
    with a longer club, delofting at impact to remove the spin from an iron setting it on a more boring trajectory will certainly help, allow for forward roll
    when landing on the green. Practice and patience,
    will yield favorable results, This is a skill to be learned, not always a high percentage shot, but effective once learned.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer Members Posts: 824 ✭✭

@eckmanjp said:

@gvogel said:

Several others have said the same thing, but...
    Next time you have a 160 yard shot into a stiff breeze instead of moving down one club to the 6 iron and hitting if full, go to the 5 iron and swing at 70%.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,803 ✭✭

@jongalt55 said:

@Jack Pearsall said:
    Everyone is a bit different, but for JP S300 are a pretty decently low launching shaft. Right or wrongly JP generally thinks in terms of shaft and swing techniques to lower ball flight, but you’re right that some heads are definitely higher/lower launching. Some balls are better in the wind also.( JP uses TP5x)
    So JP tends to put the ball back in his stance some, take a lower lofted club than you’d normally use and use a loopy, softer swing to take spin off the ball and lower flight. It’s a shot that takes practice.
    Totally did not answer ur question...

Is this an entire post referring to yourself in the third person?

Jack can’t talk Thai ....... jack talk Thai very well ....,

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 2:46am #20

When it’s breezy, swing easy!

I grew up playing windy links course, so it was natural but its not for everybody.

Honestly, if you can’t figure it out; save yourself the sanity and avoid windy days or courses.

Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Odyssey RX9
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 555 ✭✭

AP2 do spin a lot but I had 714s with KBS which many consider to be a crazy high spin combo and I could flight them well in the wind. Issue is technique. Take some lessons on a windy day with a good coach. Read above advice. All the best.

Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-5 (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Titleist 716 CB 6-PW (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D S200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,135 ✭✭

Technique plays the major role here, not equipment. Generally, anywhere from 1 to 3 extra club, grip down on handle, and use what I call a wide-to-wide swing at 3/4 speed. Think limited arm swing (no longer than left arm parallel with the ground in BS) and then cover the ball, keep body turning through it, and finish wide & low, with handle following your rotating trunk around to the left.

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 391 ✭✭

Changing your ball is going to make a much bigger difference than changing your equipment here.

Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

@BrianMcG said:
    You need to take 2 more clubs and choke down an inch.

One of the best shots that I can remember hitting was a few years ago on Christmas Eve. It was relatively warm (58*), but windy - 30 to 35 mph winds. The first hole that I played was straight into the wind. I had about 90 yards for my third shot into the green; I took my 8-iron, gripped down a bit, and took a 3/4 swing. Nestled the ball into 4 feet for birdie. In calm conditions I was hitting 8-iron 135 yards back then, so you can get an idea of what was going on.

• danielgibson91danielgibson91 Members Posts: 1

Get onto a launch monitor and learn to control your dynamic loft. That way you can play what ever clubs you like the look of.

• buntabunta Members Posts: 565 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 4:50pm #26

@Chuck905 said:
    When it’s breezy, swing easy!

I grew up playing windy links course, so it was natural but its not for everybody.

Honestly, if you can’t figure it out; save yourself the sanity and avoid windy days or courses.

Swing "easy" = fat city

TS3 9.5
    s55 4-PW
    SM6 50/54/58
    TP  Ardmore
  • Harry PutterHarry Putter Members Posts: 167 ✭✭

I just moved to S300s this season and think they help me keep the ball down decently. Even with no wind, I just prefer a lower penetrating ball flight from my irons.

I agree with most of the posters above — keep the clubs as is and try to alter the technique. I say this as a 13, so please don’t take anything as a criticism.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR16 Pro Driver[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F8 5 Wood[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra King F7 3 Hybrid[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly-Z+ 4-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 56, 60[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING Sigma G Kushin and/or Cleveland HB #8[/font]
  • TasalsTasals Members Posts: 291 ✭✭

@eckmanjp said:

@gvogel said:

This is a technique change not an iron fitting change. Unless you want to go to something with absolutely low spin and then youre changing a head with majorly different profiles and CG

• jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,625 ClubWRX

@DavePelz4 said:

@jongalt55 said:

@Jack Pearsall said:
    Everyone is a bit different, but for JP S300 are a pretty decently low launching shaft. Right or wrongly JP generally thinks in terms of shaft and swing techniques to lower ball flight, but you’re right that some heads are definitely higher/lower launching. Some balls are better in the wind also.( JP uses TP5x)
    So JP tends to put the ball back in his stance some, take a lower lofted club than you’d normally use and use a loopy, softer swing to take spin off the ball and lower flight. It’s a shot that takes practice.

You must be new to these parts. That's the legendary Jack Pearsall who only speaks of Jack Pearsall in the third person.

The schtick ran its course and got old several years ago.

Ignore feature needs to come back ASAP.

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,680 ✭✭

@jongalt55 said:

@Jack Pearsall said:

>

You’re new here, ain’t ya?

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,227 ClubWRX

It’s not the club. It’s you. Work on your impact position and your wind play will improve.

Taylormade M6 w/ATMOS black ts 6x<br />Taylormade M5 3 wood w/HZRDUS black 75 6.5<br />Taylormade p790 3-pw <br />Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72