Its been a few years but, are my MP-32's still relevant?

TimothyWitt

I got out of the game due to a back issue several years. Shortly before that i bought some slightly used MP-32, and they were the greatest things on earth. I finally got back to the game, and I enjoy hitting them but was curious how the game has evolved as far as equipment.

I know some will make the statement that the equipment doesnt matter as much as the player. But figured it might be a better idea to get something a little more forgiving as i get back into it.

Not terribly forgiving tho they were sort of sold as forgiving blades, probably half club shorter than today’s blades, but that could be disputed. Lovely looking, classy.

Long irons say “Get some hybrids!”

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Still just as good as a 'Player's Iron' gets!

The 'Better Player's', (at least younger ones), don't need the stronger iron lofts that we are seeing more and more of these days!

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Those are kind of a cult classic around here. You will get very very few negative comments about the MP32s on W.R.X.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

A blade is a blade is a.......

Though the lofts are a lil weak by today’s standards, even for blades, the 7i loft being 35*, which I know many Players who still Play off of a 35* 7i, if you’d like you can have em bent 2-3* strong with no problems, as I had my 68s bent +2*(to a 33* 7i) as I wanted a lower flight(TRAJ, lmao, God I looove that word and I have WRX to thank for it?) and they were great.

Also, and this is what I believe to be the most critical factor regardless of the brand, club, etc., and that is to get the right shaft for your swing today!

You put the appropriate shaft in those babies and they’re still Platinum in the right hands?

That’s the great thing about 98% of the blades out there~

Their design is timeless!

All the Best,

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Not just relevant, but dam(n) effective tools.

As for lofts being somewhat old-school - who cares? That's just the number stamped on the bottom. A 45 degree pitching wedge performs pretty much just like a 45 degree 9 iron.

And for the forgiveness side of things, I'd suggest that we could all think more critically about this and really consider the specific needs. While "a set of irons" traditionally covers a very wide range of shots, where do you need/want that forgiveness? It'd be a shame to wholly replace such a nice set of irons If it is (for example) only at the long end of the bag where you have issues. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater - maybe start by replacing the 3i and 4i with a hybrid or driving iron and keep the MP-32s for the rest.

• Like 2

Danny Lee thinks they're very relevant.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

> @dubbelbogey said:

> Not just relevant, but dam(n) effective tools.

>

> As for lofts being somewhat old-school - who cares? That's just the number stamped on the bottom. A 45 degree pitching wedge performs pretty much just like a 45 degree 9 iron.

>

> And for the forgiveness side of things, I'd suggest that we could all think more critically about this and really consider the specific needs. While "a set of irons" traditionally covers a very wide range of shots, where do you need/want that forgiveness? It'd be a shame to wholly replace such a nice set of irons If it is (for example) only at the long end of the bag where you have issues. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater - maybe start by replacing the 3i and 4i with a hybrid or driving iron and keep the MP-32s for the rest.

Best advice I have received so far, thank you for this! It is really easy to have a narrow minded approach!

> @TimothyWitt said:

> > @BB28403 said:

> > > @TimothyWitt said:

> > > JEALOUSY! > @BB28403 said:

> > > > Oooooh he has the $75 headcovers too! This guy is a balla’

> > >

> > >

> > Well yeah! They are great! Haha

> >

>

> Honestly they were a gift, im just fine with the neoprene ones.

I lose them ALL the time. So there is a seller from China on eBay . Something like $7 shipped for a set. I ordered 2 sets so I can lose those and not care.

> @cgasucks said:

> Danny Lee thinks they're very relevant.

>

he has already moved on... haha.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Yes, good irons. Lofts are a little weaker but can Ben's strong with minimal fuss. I played a set for awhile that was bent strong to MP18 specs. If you hit them solidly and they go consistent distances game them. If not, pick up a set of inexpensive GI irons and keep the mp-32 for when your swing comes back

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Tim. Ive had the back issues. Buy some mp53/54 or mp 64/64 or mp 59/15 and take it easy. But keep the 32s for when your fluent,flexible and really swinging freely!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Enough already about the weaker lofts. See below. The lofts have only been tweaked 1° in the 6-PW.

MP-32 / MP-18

3 iron 21° / 21°

4 iron 24° / 24°

5 iron 27° / 27°

6 iron 31° / 30°

7 iron 35° / 34°

8 iron 39° / 38°

9 iron 43° / 42°

PW 47° / 46°

Besides what difference does it make if an MP 32 6 iron is the same loft as a club stamped 7 iron these days.

Anyway, fantastic irons. Had a set, loved them and regret selling them.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Agree with Kiwihacker 100 percent. Mizuno’s are already very low bounce. I wouldn’t mess with the lofts. The 32’s in good condition are a great find for someone looking for a smidge of forgivenesses in a blade like design. Also these were made back when Mizuno regularly made designs with a lower and more rearward cog which are becoming harder to find in a players iron design these days along with the more traditional lofts. Hit em well!

I don't understand, generally, the comments to modify the loft unless you want or need to change the bounce. Sure, maybe small adjustments to fine tune gaps, but simply doing it to to make your irons each go 10yds further is silly. And besides, the lofts on the MP-32s are really not that weak in the greater context of things. Many current-release clubs in this category have very similar specs.

And in my experience having played with some more recent releases of clubs in this category, I would say you're most definitely _not_ giving up anything from a technology perspective. This is not some old, nostalgic set of irons that you play to walk down memory lane, it's a design that still performs wholly comparably to its modern peers.

• Like 1

I still own a set (2-PW)...and they are still just as relevant today as they were when they came out. Are the lofts weaker than today's irons?? Yeah, but in my opinion, that's more of a modern iron using a 7 iron stamping when it used to be a 6 iron stamping...if you really want to get technical...they should just put lofts on the sole of the iron...

Play them and fall in love all over again.

It's funny seeing all these comments about the 32s having weak lofts. They're a club stronger than the set I played last year. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> It's funny seeing all these comments about the 32s having weak lofts. They're a club stronger than the set I played last year. LOL

The lofts really haven't changed that much when compared to modern equivalent models such as blades and players cavity back irons. Sure they're a club weaker than modern GI irons and two clubs weaker than modern SGI irons but the jacking of lofts over the past 10 years has gone nuts! 5 irons at 22° for example!

They're the same lofts as Titleist 718 CB and MB and 1° weaker in the 6-PW when compared to the AP2, Mizuno MP-18 SC and blade. They're only weak when compared to modern 'distance' irons.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

• 2 weeks later...

bgqbcccou0yp.jpeg

> @Chuck905 said:

> 32s are absolutely far behind to modern choices and I’m a Mizuno player.

>

> Don’t listen to guys who are telling you to bend it 2-3* stronger, it’s going to make things worse by reducing bounce and adding offset, it’s will look ugly at address!

>

> Trust me, I did with my MP60s.

Hey Chuck, I hope all’s well?

I have Played Mizuno Blades, for 27+ Years actually, and if you have the appropriate individual do the work, they look perfectly fine at address, which is the most critical position. That is my 68 7i(bent) and my 69 7i(unbent) pictured(68 is the the bottom two irons/pics) and all that I can say is that it’s beauty was second only to that of its ensuing ball flight?

Also, if I handed them both to you and asked you which one was bent, unless you guessed correctly, there is nooooo way that you could tell by examining the iron. I had Plusses who know irons, and this time two USGA Champions, Nathan Smith & Sean Knapp, examine both and though Nathan correctly picked the 68 7i, he admitted that he guessed and couldn’t tell from examining the iron, and Sean guessed wrong, lol.o1w3n4k68gbf.jpeg

cabg3qd48q9u.jpeg

hin9rs1vkhsn.jpeg

gcdedoxd9kgw.jpeg

As far as affecting their Playability, I can’t speak for others however they had zero negative effect for me. In fact, they were wicked, as that trophy in the middle of my clubs sorta shows(taken in my hospital room, lolol?). That was won in a Western Pennsylvania MP tourney against the finest Ams in Western PA, one, a future USGA Champion.

Also, this is not across the board with all forged irons, even blades and MCB’s. In speaking to a Mizzy engineer(actually two, as one was older and “old school” and the other a “kid” in his late 20’s/early 30’s and he basically said the same thing as Old School, lol), he told me that the inherent design of the Mizuno irons allowed for a +/-2* bend as a lot of their Staffers have always done some of their own work, and yes, they can obviously get the iron to their exact specification however he said that some, and he specifically used Sir Nick as an example, would bend his wedges -1* himself and many would love the feel of the specific iron in their hands and not want to give that set up for a 1-2* stronger/weaker loft, so they, or someone, would do the bend.

I saw that you gamed the 60’s, though did ya bend/play any Mizzy MB’s? I ask only cuz the 60’s were more of an MCB than a pure blade/MB, though I know they were a big Tour iron and Luke Loved em and I gotta believe that some of those guys bent em, though I have no firsthand knowledge on this one. Who did the bend, if I might ask?

Bottom line, it depends on the individual golfer, however if he’s a Player(Competitive Plus), it will have zero negative effect, and as far as cosmetics, I’ll leave it up to the guys if my 68 is indeed “ugly,” lolol

Stay well?

Thanks for responding and have a great season

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24