Decent courses on the Chicago-to-Eau Claire Route?

DeeBee30DeeBee30 Members Posts: 318 ✭✭
edited Apr 22, 2019 7:46pm in Midwest #1

Hi WI neighbors. Looking for recommendations for decent courses to check out to break up some upcoming (weekday) drives back and forth between Chicago and Eau Claire. Specifically, I'm looking for options that aren't too far off the I-90/94 path between Rockford and Eau Claire. I can build in time to stop for a round each way, but don't really want to veer too far off my main route since golf isn't the main objective of the trips.

Here's my wishlist: good conditioning, fun/interesting layout (not a bunch of parallel or straight holes), good value (prefer under $100), good pace of play, par 70+, 6400+ yds. Don't really care about amenities other than a driving range to warm up and a decent practice green.

TIA

Post edited by DeeBee30 on

Comments

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,312 ClubWRX

Are you going 90 W through Rockford and then up into Wisconsin or going up 94 to Milwaukee and then heading west?

• DeeBee30DeeBee30 Members Posts: 318 ✭✭

@DavePelz4 said:
    Are you going 90 W through Rockford and then up into Wisconsin or going up 94 to Milwaukee and then heading west?

Rockford-thru-Madison route

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,312 ClubWRX

Going west on 90, you have in order, Blackstone (Marengo), Timber Pointe (Poplar Grove), Aldeen (Rockford) in IL. University Ridge (Madison), WIld Rock (The Dells), Trappers Turn (The Dells) for starters. Not too familiar with courses out further west on 94.

• geochitowngeochitown Members Posts: 1,665 ✭✭

Good list . probably too close to home, but Glen Erin in Janesville is another.

Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - TP6HD Firm tipped xx" - 44.25" (CANNON!)
    TEE XCG7 Beta 5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 1.625" at 41.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Maxfli Revolution Black 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43,48) at -1/2" length DGS300U
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*)
    Vokey SM5 58-07S (bent to 60*)
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain milled - cerakote sniper gray - silver dots and white sight line
     Coutour Dornoch Putter 33" - 365g Head - SS Flatso 2.0
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭

It would add a small amount of driving time on to the trip, but you could jump off 94 and head north on 13 to Sand Valley, and then head straight west after your round to meet back up with 94. If you've never experienced it, you absolutely must being in the Midwest. Having played Bandon, its not on the same level (the lack of the Pacific Ocean probably prevents it from ever quite getting there), but man is it a special place to have somewhat close by. Heck, you might even come back another time to play whichever course you didn't play the first time on a return trip...

Callaway Epic SZ 11* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TM TP UDI 21* Nunchuk Xi
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Sun Mountain 3.5/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • BirdieRollBirdieRoll Members Posts: 361 ✭✭

Just an idea, but the ClubCorp Travel membership might be a good value. If you're in Illinois, it's $50 a month with a one year commitment, but you get access to 200+ courses around the country except for those within 100 miles of your residence.

You can play each club two times a month for a cart fee, usually $20, with a 21 day tee time window. Weekends are available after Noon. Most clubs closed Mondays.

So, if you're in Chicago, the Rockford club is probably within 100 miles, but you could access Bishops Bay in Madison, and the Eau Claire Golf & CC. The LaCrosse CC is also a new club you can access if you wanted to take a different route.

Not sure how often or how long this regular trip might be, but if you travel around the country a fair amount it's a great deal. Note, it's $25 a month if you live in WI.

• marks21marks21 Members Posts: 161 ✭✭

@rtraudt said:
    It would add a small amount of driving time on to the trip, but you could jump off 94 and head north on 13 to Sand Valley, and then head straight west after your round to meet back up with 94. If you've never experienced it, you absolutely must being in the Midwest. Having played Bandon, its not on the same level (the lack of the Pacific Ocean probably prevents it from ever quite getting there), but man is it a special place to have somewhat close by. Heck, you might even come back another time to play whichever course you didn't play the first time on a return trip...

If you head this way, I would also recommend Lake Arrowhead. Have two courses minutes from Sand Valley.

Wild Rock in the Dells and University Ridge are good tracks too.

Cobra F7+ Driver 9* Aldila Tour Green 75 X
    Callaway GBB 816 15* Aldila Tour Green 85 X
    Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
    Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59*
    Toulon Portland H3
    Titleist ProV1X
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,705 ✭✭

Lake Windsor, just north of Madison. Then, near the Dells, you have Trappers Turn, Northern Bay, and Wild Rock. Northern Bay is a combination of replica holes (including TPC Sawgrass #17) and original designs. Reedsburg CC is also supposed to be decent.

He could play Bishop's Bay with boxgroove, but it's north of $100.

Vokey SM4 52-08F
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain milled - cerakote sniper gray - silver dots and white sight line
    edited Apr 23, 2019 7:22pm #11

Wow, great list to pick from...WRXers rock!. Rather than reply to individual posts, I'll comment on several here (a little lengthy, but I figured it's better than 6 separate posts):

• DP4: I'm definitely looking to hit WI courses while I'm en route, so while those IL tracks are likely good (based on some of the ones you hit in the Chicagoland thread), I feel like they're more accessible on any given day. The other 3 look promising.
    • geochi: Glen Erin could be interesting, and they're also doing a "free greens fee for April" promo. But you're right in that it's a little close to home (but it'll probably make the list on a future drive up through WI); RE Bishop's Bay, I'm a Boxgroove member but haven't used it yet; I wouldn't mind paying the $125 price for that course if (1) it's a really nice track and (2) I could spend more time there enjoying the facilities. Maybe a future trip.
    • rtraudt: I thought about Sand Valley, especially since this particular trip is next week and their rate before May 14 is just $105, which is a great price. If I'm gonna go north of $100, I'd definitely hit SV over Bishop's Bay, but I have to decide if I can make that detour and stay on schedule.
    • Birdie: I've thought about ClubCorp in the past but my travel had subsided too much; starting this year, I'll be traveling much more, so I may give it another look. Oddly, they don't list any WI courses on their website.
    • marks: appreciate the additional names, but if I detour out that way on this trip, I'm sure as **** playing SV! Lake Arrowhead could be a nice 36-hole day when I can dedicate more time to playing on a future drive.
    • games: Northern Bay's replica holes could be fun; maybe for a future trip, along with another of the Dells tracks mentioned.

So many choices - fortunately, this is a trip I expect to make every 1-2 months, which means I'll have several opportunities to hit multiple tracks. For next week, I'll just have to find the one that speaks to me the most.

Thanks again, all. In case anyone's interested, I'll report back on where I end up.

Post edited by DeeBee30 on
    edited Apr 23, 2019 9:13pm #12

The wisconsin courses are in an attachment and are shown in the Complimentary Golf section.
    it's in the flipbook here, page 14:
    http://clubcorp.uberflip.com/i/706860-play-away-network-guide/0?m4=

Bishop's Bay
    Eau Claire CC
    Univ of Milwaukee golf club
    La Crosse CC
    and another one, I think

Vokey SM4 52-08F

@geochitown said:
    The wisconsin courses are in an attachment and are shown in the Complimentary Golf section.
    it's in the flipbook here, page 14:
    http://clubcorp.uberflip.com/i/706860-play-away-network-guide/0?m4=

Bishop's Bay
    Eau Claire CC
    Univ of Milwaukee golf club
    La Crosse CC
    and another one, I think

Thx - curious that their website doesn’t show all these courses.

• ldchristopherldchristopher Members Posts: 915 ✭✭

@DeeBee30 said:
    Wow, great list to pick from...WRXers rock!. Rather than reply to individual posts, I'll comment on several here (a little lengthy, but I figured it's better than 6 separate posts):

• DP4: I'm definitely looking to hit WI courses while I'm en route, so while those IL tracks are likely good (based on some of the ones you hit in the Chicagoland thread), I feel like they're more accessible on any given day. The other 3 look promising.
    • geochi: Glen Erin could be interesting, and they're also doing a "free greens fee for April" promo. But you're right in that it's a little close to home (but it'll probably make the list on a future drive up through WI); RE Bishop's Bay, I'm a Boxgroove member but haven't used it yet; I wouldn't mind paying the $125 price for that course if (1) it's a really nice track and (2) I could spend more time there enjoying the facilities. Maybe a future trip.
    • rtraudt: I thought about Sand Valley, especially since this particular trip is next week and their rate before May 14 is just $105, which is a great price. If I'm gonna go north of $100, I'd definitely hit SV over Bishop's Bay, but I have to decide if I can make that detour and stay on schedule.
    • Birdie: I've thought about ClubCorp in the past but my travel had subsided too much; starting this year, I'll be traveling much more, so I may give it another look. Oddly, they don't list any WI courses on their website.
    • marks: appreciate the additional names, but if I detour out that way on this trip, I'm sure as **** playing SV! Lake Arrowhead could be a nice 36-hole day when I can dedicate more time to playing on a future drive.
    • games: Northern Bay's replica holes could be fun; maybe for a future trip, along with another of the Dells tracks mentioned.

So many choices - fortunately, this is a trip I expect to make every 1-2 months, which means I'll have several opportunities to hit multiple tracks. For next week, I'll just have to find the one that speaks to me the most.

Thanks again, all. In case anyone's interested, I'll report back on where I end up.

I played Glen Erin last weekend and the course is in excellent condition. A $20 round is a steal there (the "free" greens fee requires purchase of a cart) but it's always affordable so I'd recommend playing it during the season. It's not a long drive from Chicago at all. The Oaks in Madison is another interesting course. Not as good as the others listed though.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 80 extra stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Titleist 712U (4) Cobra King CB (5-6)/MB (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120 stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II w/ black onyx finish