Bump and run or fly it to the hole?

Comments

• ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭

@PlayfromtheBrain said:
    I've read this somewhere before, and it would be nice to have in this thread, but can someone tell me the general rule of thumb for bump n runs and the distance that each club loft will travel? Seemed like some useful information when I read it, but can't remember where I found it.

This will vary some depending on your loft, but pitching wedge is usually half flight, half roll. 8-iron will fly 1/3, roll 2/3. Sand wedge will fly 2/3, roll 1/3. Lob wedge will fly 3/4, roll 1/4. 6 iron will fly 1/4, roll 3/4.

Ping G410 9*
    Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
    Bettinardi BB0
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
    Ping Hoofer

• rstlnerstlne AEIOU and sometimes Y West CoastClubWRX Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

If it's under 50 yards, open the face and let errrr fly. 60* PM grind. If it's dirt or tight lies, well, 50* bump and run.

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Depends in part on... turf manicure (shaggy or shorter grass around the greens)... and condition of greens... and the wind.
    If greenside rough is shaggy, I'll go with a wedge and loft it in. If the greens are softer or I'm going uphill, I favor a lofted shot - too hard to judge roll on semi-blind shot.
    If the greens are harder, or I've got a quartering headwind, I'll go with a bump (or chip) and run.
    I played in Myrtle Beach in early April between rainstorms, and the soft bermuda greens gobbled up most attempted chip shots. If I chipped with an 8i and the ball hit the green surface with a little splash, I knew a 20-foot putt was coming.

By bump and run, I mean a low shot that you bump into a bank or upslope to partially deaden the roll-out. By chip and run, I mean a low shot that you drop onto the green itself and let it roll out most of the way.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • kiwiikiwii Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate to be the one to point this out but are we talking equipment?

B&R more often for me. Basically I carry it as little as possible.

'17 M1 460 9.5/ Rogue Silver
    XR '14 Pro/ PX LZ
    Adams 9031 18°/ Diamana WB
    716 AP24-pw/DG AMT S300
    '14 TM TP 52/56/60
    2014 Squareback/ Lamkin DE + 2 wraps
    Ogio Ozone, TM targa tour
    Tour Boost 360
    TM TP5/ Srixon Zstar XV
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Swing path on b&r is also part of it. Outside in or inside out depending on how you want it to release to the hole. Also, some greens/grasses are more influential on the ball in terms of their grain and you can use swing path changes to affect the ball’s release to help offset this. It works for JP. He uses an 8 iron usually though on steeper downhills he’ll use a PW or gap. Lobs with 56/58. Tend to be somewhat more of an outside in path for lobs, like touch sand shots.

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    MacGregor PCB Tour Tourney 5-PW
    Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Members Posts: 16,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Love bump n run and i practice at 22 to 25.metres regularly.Chipped in on sat from 40 metres! I use 8i and 7i.I cant chip with wedges!

2019 August nice bag

Titleist 909d2
    Tee 16.5
    Tm M1 21 hybrid'16

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist ScottyPro Plat
    Ping B60 backup!

• Hougz79Hougz79 Members Posts: 319 ✭✭

I default to pitch and run all things being equal.

Titleist TS3 8.5*, EFW T1100 65 6.5
    Titleist TS2 15*, EFW T1100 75 6.0
    Titleist 818 H1 19*, Fuji Motore Speeder 8.8HB S
    Tileist 818 H2 21*, Fuji Motore Speeder 8.8HB S
    Titleist 718 AP3, 4-5, PX 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2, 6-PW PX 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52.12F, 58.12D
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really like landing the ball before the green. If the pin is very short and fairway in front of it looks flat and hard, I'll do it, but I'd rather try to fly it at least to the beginning of the green. I don't trust my distance control or what the first bounce will do with bump and runs. Heck I don't even like putting from more than a yard off the green either. I don't necessarily fly it all the way to the hole too often if I'm close to the green though, I like a little run out. Haven't used anything less lofted than a 50* for green side chips for as long as I can remember. I do feel pretty confident with my wedges though.

• rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

All things equal most teachers will probably tell you odds are better with the bump and run. So, after returning to golf I have made a real effort to become proficient with this shot and reap the benefits of doing it properly. I have practiced a fair amount over the last 12 months and I am giving it about one more week. I use to have a pretty good success rate just throwing everything to the hole with a 58 or 60 degree (played to a 2 or 3HC). I have days now where I have zero touch with the bump and run and can't judge distance at all.
    Time to go back to doing it wrong but me and my 58 are going to spend some time together real soon :-)

Taylormade M5 driver with Tensei Orange stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 5 wood with Tensei Blue stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 19 degree with Atmos orange stiff
    Taylormade P790 5i with Recoil 95 F4 shaft
    Taylormade P770 6i-AW with Recoil 95 F4 shafts
    Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 with KBS
    Taylormade Spider X

First single OEM I have played and love it
  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent my winter practicing bump and runs on my short carpet in basement. Every night practicing three stock shots to get ball to a hole I taped over carpet. I have had 6 chip ins this year from off the green and 2 of them were 20 yards plus. My bogies have turned into pars and my handicap is much lower. Bump in runs are much higher percentage shots and I use them whenever I can.

Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • botoxbotox Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

If you are a really good chipper than bump and run may be higher percentage play. My problem was quitting on the bump and run shot thinking I had too much club in my hands. My short game improved significantly going to more loft, using an aggressive attacking mindset with firm flat Left wrist. Less likely to decelerate, and the short sided shots and ones with less green to work with are less scary if you are more comfortable with loft. I like the attacking mindset that I don't feel I get with the bump and run., You need to master the technique of flying it to the hole as there are many situations where this is necessary.

• Jetierney13Jetierney13 Members Posts: 59 ✭✭

Definitely a lot of variables that come into play for me. If its a bump and run I use my 52 degree and if its a flop I use my 60/64 and open it up to get it up quick and stop quick.

• stk525stk525 Saskatchewan, CanadaMembers Posts: 69 ✭✭

Big fan of the pitching wedge(46) for my bump and runs. I generally try to play things low unless I have to go over something. However, I have been working on a very spinny low shot with my 60 that will bounce once, check, and roll a couple of feet. I’ve started to use this lots.

• rich srich s Members Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bump and run anytime I can with a putting stroke and PW. Its just so easy. Starting to get good at flying it when short sided so who knows what will happen this year.

• lenman73lenman73 Members Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭

With 9 out of every 10 holes I play having elevated greens, I predominantly go with an assault from the air instead of a ground attack. I only bump and run when all things, lie, angle to pin ....... call for that shot.

• McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Taking out a million factors and making it as simple as possible, I'll try and get the ball rolling like a putt as quickly as possible.

I find there is less room for error this way. Easier ::for me:: to execute in tournaments under pressure as well.

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 6:46pm #50

@PlayfromtheBrain said:
    I've read this somewhere before, and it would be nice to have in this thread, but can someone tell me the general rule of thumb for bump n runs and the distance that each club loft will travel? Seemed like some useful information when I read it, but can't remember where I found it.

It would be "Rule of 11" or "Rule of 12" (depending on how jacked your iron lofts are). You can also Google "Paul Runyan chipping" and get similar finds.

Titleist 915D3 9.5
    Titleist 917Fd @ 14.25
    Mizuno Clk 19, 22
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey SM7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 8
    Titleist ProV1

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 990 ClubWRX

Unless I have to go over something 50 yards and in I am bump and run

Taylor Made M6 10.5 * | Ventus 6s
    Taylor Made M4 | Graphite Design IZ-7s
    Adams Pro A12 -  2 / 3 / 4 Hybrids | UST Mamiya Silver
    PXG Gen 2 0311P 5 - GW | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
    Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    JumboMax Medium grips on ALL - Dechambeau-ing it baby!!!!!
    PXG Gunboat H Putter
    PXG Staff Bag
    Snell MTB Black
  • taporsnap17taporsnap17 Members Posts: 811 ✭✭

Where possible, I take the bump and run route. Haven't practiced much at all and the air mail route is the one that suffers a ton when I'm lacking confidence

• vmanvman Members Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like to think in terms of what flight and roll produces the most consistent result. An old coach taught us as juniors to take 3-5 balls and underarm them to the target from different areas around the green. This was a great lesson as you quickly found the right trajectory and roll for any given situation, we were then told to try to reproduce it with the right loft. You have to adjust a bit for the lie, speed, firmness and slope of the greens but to this day I see all shots around the green as an underarm throw first.

CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 9*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*
    CALLAWAY 815 HYBRID 18*
    CALLAWAY APEX 4-A
    CALLAWAY MD FORGED 52* 58*
    ODYSSEY TRIFORCE 2
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

Give the choice, its bump and run every time because its a much safer, reliable, more predicatable shot. When you try to fly it, theres so many variables such as carry distance and spin that come into play. Bump and run eliminates that.

• DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Pinehurst, NCMembers Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me I use the lowest lofted club that I have that will allow me to fly the ball onto the green. I find the uncertainties of landing short of the green to be a problem. We have a bunch of elevated greens where I play, and this tends to yield a bunch of 60* wedge shots in my case.

dave

• gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@lawsonman said:
    Always bump and run unless the green is running away from me.

+1 This.

• DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 24, 2019 1:22am #57

@PlayfromtheBrain said:

"Rule of 12", which will vary with your specific technique, lie, and course/greens conditions. Take how far you need to carry it in the air to land it just on the green (that's one part), take how many "parts" it needs to run out (say, that distance 4 more times), subtract from 12. In this example, 8 iron. 6 iron will roll about 6 times as far as it flies, and so on.
    I'm closer to the "rule of 13" when I'm bumping it, primarily because I spent a long time "chipping" with one club (58/60*). I tend to carry bumps a bit too far so I take one less club.

Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 15.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know bump and run is the right play, but it's hard for me to control the distance with it. Also flying it means don't need to read the green as much. I just choke down and do a lofted bump and run. Bump and run with PW, 9 iron, 8 iron etc those just run super far for me. If I slow it down I tend to chunk it and who wants that. And for short shots I prefer and slow and longer swing rather than short stabby. Not sure. Maybe I just haven't figured out the bump and run yet.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • lenman73lenman73 Members Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DFinch said:

@PlayfromtheBrain said:

"Rule of 12", which will vary with your specific technique, lie, and course/greens conditions. Take how far you need to carry it in the air to land it just on the green (that's one part), take how many "parts" it needs to run out (say, that distance 4 more times), subtract from 12. In this example, 8 iron. 6 iron will roll about 6 times as far as it flies, and so on.
    I'm closer to the "rule of 13" when I'm bumping it, primarily because I spent a long time "chipping" with one club (58/60*). I tend to carry bumps a bit too far so I take one less club.

I never heard of this before, but it sounds brilliant ! I always heard the such and such club will roll out a certain percentage but I could never remember what was what like I can't now. But this I can remember and will try it next time the conditions are conducive to a bump and run. Thank you !

• Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I was younger, I hit almost every pitch shot, which means more than a yard or so off the green, with a sand wedge. Later it was a 60 degree lob wedge. But after moving from the north where I played on lush grass, that is not the best play for me, too many chunks and thinned shots off of tight lies and thin Bermuda. I need to practice it a fair amount, but once I get the feel down for the bump and run I am more consistent. But if I don't practice at it I am not very good with the distance control. I think I fall back at looking at the hole, and always hit them too hard. My practice routine is learning to carry the ball to a spot, I really need to focus on the landing area, and then just trust the run out from there. Also, I want to focus on not hitting down on the ball to much, just let the bounce work. When I've got it down, my favorite bump and run shots are with an 8 iron..... It seems simple, just a mini swing, but I have to practice it or I lose my feel for it.

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Ping Glide 2.0 60 SS 
    Odyssey O'Works 2 ball, or Cleveland BRZ 2 or Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • oukeithoukeith MichiganMembers Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Not a true bump and run, but my go-to is a low pitch shot that I try to get down on the green sooner than later. Almost always with the 56*. It seems relatively low risk.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file