Hitting Push Draw with Driver and Swinging Up

Hi,
I am so confused by some of the terminology as it relates to swing path with the driver. I know that I don't need to hit a push draw with the driver, but I want to!
Here is what I think I know-
In order to create a push draw- My Club Face needs to be open to the aim line but closed to the swing path. So I need to create a more in to out path.
I know what an open club face to the aim line looks like but what I don't understand is how I can have a more rightward or inside to out (right handed) swing path and still be swinging "up" on the ball? If I'm swinging up on the ball wouldn't my path be going to the left? Assuming my club has to bottom out before the ball to rise.

Do my hands and everything need to be going to right field at impact or just the clubhead? Lots of questions- I know!

Comments

• uitar9uitar9 Members Posts: 382 ✭✭

I had a horrible slice. I tried changing everything at one time. Didn't work.
    I started again with just club face. Closed it at address, with no change to grip. Helped a little.
    Then started to really look at alignment. I was so far open, I couldn't help but slice.
    Then I moved the ball further back in my stance. Helped a little more.
    Next I lowered my driver tee height. Helped a little more. Eliminated those balloon balls.
    Next I flattened out my swing. Started that by keeping my club head as close to the ground as long as possible on the back swing. (Thought of it more like a baseball swing than a more upright iron backswing.)
    I now have a usable slight fade with driver and woods. Even turns into a very slight draw occasionally.
    I'm not sure what I did or whether I "should" have a draw or fade, but I can now get around with a fade.
    Good luck with the push draw

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]WITB[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway
    [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]20.5 [/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 5-PW irons[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 52 and 56 wedges[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]TM Spider mallet[/font]
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,504 ✭✭

Yes, with positive AoA, path shifts left. So basically your path needs to be enough to the right such that it still is right of the target and the face even with a positive AoA, while the face is open to the target and closed to the path. So hitting a push draw with the driver in general is not easy given the window you have to work in. Much easier to hit a push draw hitting down on a ball since that shifts path right.

I draw my irons and hit a fade with driver, its easier than fighting physics

• bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,230 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 23, 2019 4:12am #4

I believe the pros average down AoA, not up (per trackman data). Level would be great. Slight down is ok. Up is simply not the norm.

Taylormade M6 w/ATMOS black ts 6x
    Taylormade M5 3 wood w/HZRDUS black 75 6.5
    Taylormade p790 3-pw
    Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges
    Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,353 ✭✭

D-plane brah, it’s all about the d plane

G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • rich srich s Members Posts: 537 ✭✭

I was a cronic OTT weak fader. Hated it. Always constipated. Went to see Dan. Feel like Leo before the titanic sank. Push draw... it was the holy grail in my mind. I found it. Started with the PW and worked its way up to the 3i over the course of a few months and a lot of work. Finally crept into the driver but what a ride. I will spare you the long version and tell you this, I learned for me that starting it on my line and drawing it left is way easier and repeatable than the push draw. I can do both but when the push draw goes bad, its really bad. Now I am at the right most target and swing as hard as I can. 102 SS, + AOA and 250-260 carry. The whole experience has made me very good at controlling path and face angles. Now I hate swinging steep and stay away from fades unless I have to.

• GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭

Watch this guy. He hits 7/8 degrees up. A few drives went over 360 yards.

• golfnmudd  golfnmudd golfnmudd Members Posts: 502 ✭✭

I went down this exact same “push draw” road several years back (you may even find my thread) because I thought pros did it, so I should too. Even though I gained distance, my miss became an awful snap hook that I still struggle with. Now I wish I would have stuck with my trusty, controllable baby fade, that I can no longer hit consistently like I could before. Live and learn. Maybe you’ll have better luck, or maybe I just suck at this game lol. Probably the latter......

Good luck.

• kholt33kholt33 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Basically I think that in order to hid a draw you need to be more even on angle of attack and not be hitting up on it. However, I'm sure that I have some swing flaws that are preventing me from getting close to this dream. My head tends to follow my left shoulder in the down swing, when I focus on letting the two separate, the driver ball straightens out and I come closer to drawing.......

• BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭

@golfnmudd said:
    I went down this exact same “push draw” road several years back (you may even find my thread) because I thought pros did it, so I should too. Even though I gained distance, my miss became an awful snap hook that I still struggle with. Now I wish I would have stuck with my trusty, controllable baby fade, that I can no longer hit consistently like I could before. Live and learn. Maybe you’ll have better luck, or maybe I just suck at this game lol. Probably the latter......

Good luck.

You hit a natural draw off the ground and a fade off the tee due to D plane. If you're hitting a fade off the ground, you're doing something to get this.

Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file