Hitting ball first???

golfnmudd  golfnmudd golfnmuddMembers Posts: 502 ✭✭

I feel like I don’t hit the ball first because most every time I hit a shot, there is a small circle of grass on the club that got between the ball and face. I don’t feel like it’s hurting my distance much, as I hit my 8i 165, but I feel it kills spin on my half wedges, as they seem to roll out too much. My shots feel pure, but the “grass spot” is always there. To you guys who hit ball first, can you tell a difference when you miss it a bit? How can I start hitting it first?

Comments

• GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 992 ✭✭

Imagine if you weren't hitting it fat? You would be hitting your 8 iron 180 yards. How does the grass only get trapped between your ball and club? Usually it's a big ol' divot due to the shape of the club.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,712 ✭✭

That doesn’t mean you’re hitting it fat

• golfnmudd  golfnmudd golfnmudd Members Posts: 502 ✭✭

I don’t think I’m hitting it fat, but it seems that if I was hitting the ball first on a dry day from a good lie, the face of my club should be clean, and not have bits of grass smashed on the face in the spot where the club impacted the ball. Obviously I’m very close, but if I’m going to have spin on shots 100 and in, I have to learn to hit the ball first.

@golfnmudd said:
    I don’t think I’m hitting it fat, but it seems that if I was hitting the ball first on a dry day from a good lie, the face of my club should be clean, and not have bits of grass smashed on the face in the spot where the club impacted the ball. Obviously I’m very close, but if I’m going to have spin on shots 100 and in, I have to learn to hit the ball first.

And I’m telling you’re you’re wrong. Can hit ball first and have a mark on the face. Can also spin a ball off a green and leave a grass mark on the face. The ball is sitting down in the grass, even in the fairway. You’re trying to come up with a problem where there isn’t one.

This shot had a grass mark on the face and spun a ton

• golfnmudd  golfnmudd golfnmudd Members Posts: 502 ✭✭

Wow, cool shot. Ok, I’ll drop that issue. So then how do you get a 30 yard pitch with a 58* wedge to check? What’s a good drill for this?

@golfnmudd said:
    Wow, cool shot. Ok, I’ll drop that issue. So then how do you get a 30 yard pitch with a 58* wedge to check? What’s a good drill for this?

You need friction. The right ball and a clean wedge helps a ton, but about was a 3 iron with a range ball so it can be done with almost anything. For the average person make sure face isn’t too open, if anything use a sand wedge not a lob wedge, because most don’t create enough friction and the ball slides up the face. You need speed and a downward angle of attack with great depth control to be able to maximize spin, and hitting it a bit off the toe doesn’t hurt as it allows for more speed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file