Selling on EBAY

jj77jj77 Members Posts: 142 ✭✭

I dont sell much on EBAY but I put some stuff on there and put a middle of the road reserve and it hit it pretty quick. I had a guy message me and offer me A LOT more than the reserve was. Have you had this happen and if so did you do it? I kind of think I should let the auction go even though I might not get what he is offering. Do I really owe the other bidders anything and should I just look out for myself and take the money? Could it be a scam? Not sure what to do here.

Thanks

Comments

• CKalmaCKalma Members Posts: 448 ✭✭

Could be a scam or it could be someone who really wants the item. You could tell them you are going to leave the item up for auction and they are welcome to bid the amount they are willing to pay... or you can settle with their offer and maybe lose out on a more $$ from other bidders.

Have you looked into what the item has recently sold for? That should help with the decision.

TM M3 8.5* Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    TM SLDR 15* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    TM TP UDI 18* DG X100
    TM 2014 MC 4, MB 5-9 DG T.I. X100
    TM TP EF 47* 52* 56* 60* T.I. X100/S400
    TM T.I. JR Murdered Spider Blade
  • jschwarbjschwarb Members Posts: 760 ✭✭

My philosophy is usually a bird in the hand ... take the money if you have done your research and see that you're not underselling by too much. And check the feedback of the guy offering.

• jj77jj77 Members Posts: 142 ✭✭

Had another guy offer quite a bit for it but I decided to let the auction run its course. I may not get as much in the end (could get more) but to me its the fair thing to do. I thought I priced it middle of the road but maybe I under priced it? Oh well, life will go on. Thanks for the opinions!

• VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,090 ✭✭

Curious that 2 people have reached out now. Is it possible you perhaps don't entirely know what you have?

• 14mh14mh Members Posts: 274 ✭✭

@VNutz said:
    Curious that 2 people have reached out now. Is it possible you perhaps don't entirely know what you have?

Yeah it is this Scotty putter that has a t in a circle. It must be a test sample so it can't be worth as much as a retail offering! j/k

@VNutz said:

Well I had been watching EBAY auctions on similar or identical items. I thought I was middle of the road but guess I could have set the reserve higher. it reached reserve fairly quick. It currently sits a little above it right now. with 5 days to go.

@14mh said:

@VNutz said:

Yeah it is this Scotty putter that has a t in a circle. It must be a test sample so it can't be worth as much as a retail offering! j/k

LOL. I wish.

• rjr25rjr25 Members Posts: 254 ✭✭

Typically when I sell on ebay Im offering a buy it now option for higher than I think a item will go for and then accept offers knowing they will be more in line with what I want. Then I can check feedback and control who wins (had too many auctions in the past with shill bidding or zero feedback buyers) and I typically get a price in line with what I think an item is worth and similar to other items previously sold.

My 2019 Experiment
    Cobra F9 - 9 degree - Atmos Black TS 6S
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19
    Cobra King Utility Black OL 21
    Cobra F7 OL 5&6
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 7-GW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES
    TaylorMade TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 - 34
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,090 ✭✭

@14mh said:

@VNutz said:

Always have to check. It's happened before...

• earleyrcearleyrc Members Posts: 388 ✭✭
    edited Apr 24, 2019 1:03am #11

@jj77 said:
    Had another guy offer quite a bit for it but I decided to let the auction run its course. I may not get as much in the end (could get more) but to me its the fair thing to do. I thought I priced it middle of the road but maybe I under priced it? Oh well, life will go on. Thanks for the opinions!

Just curious why accepting an offer from a buyer is unfair to other bidders.. it's your item and you can ask as much or as little for an item as you want. Something is worth what someone will pay for it.

Post edited by earleyrc on
    Driver (9.5°) - Titleist TS3 Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 74
    Wood (15°) - Titleist 915Fd Diamana D+ White 80
    Hybrid (19°) - Titleist 913h Diamana S+ Blue 82
    Irons (4-9) - Titleist 718AP2 DG S300 AMT
    Wedges (46.08F, 50.08F) - Vokey SM6 DG S200
    Wedges (54.10,58.10) - Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 DG S200
    Flat Stick (34") - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Matador Mid
  • AugsterAugster Members Posts: 4,188 ✭✭

You don’t owe other bidders anything. Check his feedback, cancel the auction, then sell to him outside eBay saving the 10% EBay gets. He’ll still have PayPal protection, you’ll save 10% you’d give ebay. Win-win.

Take the money and run.

Geez. I sold my item and it sold for double what my reserve was. Apparently I was WAY off on what it was worth. lol

• GehlyGehly ClubWRX Posts: 2,009 ClubWRX

@jj77 said:
    Geez. I sold my item and it sold for double what my reserve was. Apparently I was WAY off on what it was worth. lol

okay, what was it? price?

• thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited May 2, 2019 1:24pm #15

Post edited by thevaporz on

@Gehly said:

@jj77 said:

okay, what was it? price?

It was a Scotty Studio Stainless I bought back in 03 or 04. Played it for maybe 1 year and moved on in true ho fashion. Still had original headcover and divot tool. It did not have any dings on it. Still had same grip and shaft band. Excellent shape but never thought it would make it over 200 but over 300 was a shock.

• GehlyGehly ClubWRX Posts: 2,009 ClubWRX

yeah, finding one of the old classics in decent shape will get a pretty good price...what would you rather spend $300+ on? a new 2019 Scotty with an insert, or a sweet milled no-insert SC from two decades ago?