Fairway wood recommendations

 cellywratt ·  
cellywrattcellywratt  57WRX Points: 38Members Posts: 57 Bunkers
Joined:  in Junior Equipment Talk #1

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a fairway wood as a replacement for the US kids TS3 3 wood, my son (7) has been using it for a few months and it has been hit and miss, distance wise it is ok but what has been an issue is the ball flight, he just can't get the thing airborne which causes issues if there are any bunkers/hazards in play.

I had thought of going for an Epic heavenwood or Cobra F7 5/6 wood as an option. Need something in the 19-20° loft range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Posted:
1

Comments

  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19  455WRX Points: 169Members Posts: 455 Greens
    Joined:  #2

    Definitely need to get something with plenty of loft. You may look for a used Callaway XR 5 wood with a ladies shaft. The XR series are very light which is what you are looking for. Some folks even buy the heads and get a junior shaft from Flynn golf and put it in it.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3592WRX Points: 931Members Posts: 3,592 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3

    This is an interesting question because the US Kids Woods are made to get the ball into the air easily.

    Posted:
  • tiger1873tiger1873  1493WRX Points: 324Members Posts: 1,493 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #4

    The US kids ts3 woods and hybrids are terrible very cheaply made I think there made out of stainless steel. We replaced them and went with OEM stuff from taylormade. Anything you buy will be better then US Kids woods.

    Posted:
  • darter79darter79  813WRX Points: 224Members Posts: 813 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #5

    On -, @heavy_hitter you haven't seen the new TS3 fairway woods. Those things completely suck. Looks like a bad design of an hybrid.
    Posted:
  • darter79darter79  813WRX Points: 224Members Posts: 813 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #6

    On -, @cellywratt said:

    Hey everyone,

    I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a fairway wood as a replacement for the US kids TS3 3 wood, my son (7) has been using it for a few months and it has been hit and miss, distance wise it is ok but what has been an issue is the ball flight, he just can't get the thing airborne which causes issues if there are any bunkers/hazards in play.

    I had thought of going for an Epic heavenwood or Cobra F7 5/6 wood as an option. Need something in the 19-20° loft range.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Cheers

    Ping Prodi G is good and light, Flynn is another option but they are releasing new items soon from a kids point of view. You can go OEM but be careful of the weight element if you do that.

    Posted:
  • mrshinsamrshinsa  268WRX Points: 123Members Posts: 268 Greens
    Joined:  edited Apr 23, 2019 #7

    My son plays the F6 3W and F7 5W. One thing I noticed is that both of these clubs do not carry that far compared to their hybrid counterparts. Instead, they seem to roll FOREVER, up to 40~50 yards, which is where they get the distance.

    Having said that your boy is 7, which means the course is still short. Most of the holes should be Driver and wedge/iron into the greens. I didn't give my son a Fairway wood till he was 10 since the courses never called for it.

    Something went wrong if he's hitting 3wood into the green while carrying a bunker.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026  1637WRX Points: 937Handicap: A BillionMembers Posts: 1,637 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @mrshinsa said:

    My son plays the F6 3W and F7 5W. One thing I noticed is that both of these clubs do not carry that far compared to their hybrid counterparts. Instead, they seem to roll FOREVER, up to 40~50 yards, which is where they get the distance.

    Having said that your boy is 7, which means the course is still short. Most of the holes should be Driver and wedge/iron into the greens. I didn't give my son a Fairway wood till he was 10 since the courses never called for it.

    Something went wrong if he's hitting 3wood into the green while carrying a bunker.

    Better to learn to hit it before it's too late.

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11  541WRX Points: 363Handicap: 8Members Posts: 541 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #9

    I remember the TS2 ones being absolutely atrocious, my 9 year old has been hitting a women's Biocell head mated to a Flynn shaft since last year and his 3 wood is very reliable. You can get a new Biocell head for about $20 off eBay so can't go wrong with the set up. Unlike mrshinsha's experiences my son has found a use for a 3 wood almost every round, be it a layup off the tee, a more controlled shot on a Par 4 or, or on Par 5s.

    Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3592WRX Points: 931Members Posts: 3,592 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10

    The new Wilson D7's are money. Classic look and light. My kid loves them. Said they are the best woods he has ever played. He retired the M series whatever wood he was using.

    I honestly don't even care about equipment anymore. Sad really. Once you get to a certain point it is just equipment. You have so much old stuff you just forget. Maybe I am just old.

    Posted:
  • thekingsollythekingsolly  193WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 193 Fairways
    Joined:  #11

    callaway heavenwood with a flynn shaft has worked out for us very well.

    Posted:
    M1 Tour AD GP 6s
    Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
    Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
    Miura Tournament 50 55 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • cellywrattcellywratt  57WRX Points: 38Members Posts: 57 Bunkers
    Joined:  #12

    Thanks everyone! Going to test an Epic 5Wd and heavenwood with his recently replaced driver shaft. Then may look at getting a Flynn shaft if the driver shaft is no good.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • darter79darter79  813WRX Points: 224Members Posts: 813 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @heavy_hitter said:

    The new Wilson D7's are money. Classic look and light. My kid loves them. Said they are the best woods he has ever played. He retired the M series whatever wood he was using.

    I honestly don't even care about equipment anymore. Sad really. Once you get to a certain point it is just equipment. You have so much old stuff you just forget. Maybe I am just old.

    Yes yes you are old.

    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3592WRX Points: 931Members Posts: 3,592 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #14

    On -, @darter79 said:

    On -, @heavy_hitter said:

    The new Wilson D7's are money. Classic look and light. My kid loves them. Said they are the best woods he has ever played. He retired the M series whatever wood he was using.

    I honestly don't even care about equipment anymore. Sad really. Once you get to a certain point it is just equipment. You have so much old stuff you just forget. Maybe I am just old.

    Yes yes you are old.

    Probably why you always text me for advice. Older and wiser.

    Posted:
  • BertGABertGA  360WRX Points: 125Members Posts: 360 Greens
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @heavy_hitter said:

    On -, @darter79 said:

    On -, @heavy_hitter said:

    The new Wilson D7's are money. Classic look and light. My kid loves them. Said they are the best woods he has ever played. He retired the M series whatever wood he was using.

    I honestly don't even care about equipment anymore. Sad really. Once you get to a certain point it is just equipment. You have so much old stuff you just forget. Maybe I am just old.

    Yes yes you are old.

    Probably why you always text me for advice. Older and wiser.

    Can't be that old if you know how to reply to texts

    Posted:
  • cellywrattcellywratt  57WRX Points: 38Members Posts: 57 Bunkers
    Joined:  #16

    Picked up a new Epic heavenwood with a Mitsubishi Diamana (Green) M+ 40 ladies flex shaft for $100 today on Callaway preowned so should be able to test in a week or two.

    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3592WRX Points: 931Members Posts: 3,592 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @BertGA said:

    On -, @heavy_hitter said:

    On -, @darter79 said:

    On -, @heavy_hitter said:

    The new Wilson D7's are money. Classic look and light. My kid loves them. Said they are the best woods he has ever played. He retired the M series whatever wood he was using.

    I honestly don't even care about equipment anymore. Sad really. Once you get to a certain point it is just equipment. You have so much old stuff you just forget. Maybe I am just old.

    Yes yes you are old.

    Probably why you always text me for advice. Older and wiser.

    Can't be that old if you know how to reply to texts

    Funny Guy aren't you.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519  432WRX Points: 178Members Posts: 432 Greens
    Joined:  #18

    Go with an OEM where you can adjust lie angle on woods and hybrids. For example, TM is 2* upright on standard of other OEMs when it comes to woods and hybrids. Most juniors need to go at least 1* flat from standard OEM (titleist and ping you can go flatter on woods and hybrids. I think Mizzy as well) if not more. So if you find hook central happening, or uncharacteristic low ball flights, I would definitely start by adjusting lie angle. It matters less off a tee or even a side hill lie, but off the deck or range mats, how upright these OEMs are for most juniors can matter a lot.

    Posted:
  • DaddyCaddieIUDaddyCaddieIU  78WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 78 Fairways
    Joined:  #19

    Any reviews on the new Alto fairway woods and hybrids from Flynn? Daughter is almost 7 and moving out of UL 48’s! Never was a fan of their driver, especially sound, but fairway woods seemed great when kids hit them.

    Posted:
  • MitchellMitchell  5622WRX Points: 454Members Posts: 5,622 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #20

    Callaway heavenwood and Cobra baffler f6 work very well for juniors with appropriate shaft.

    Posted:
    Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Motore Speeder TS 7.3
    Titleist 917f2 16.5* (c2 surefit) Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Titleist 818 h1 21* (c2 surefit) Atmos blue TS 8
    Titleist 962b 3-pw s400 
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54*  s400
    Vokey 260-08 raw C-C  60*  s400
    Cameron '95 Laguna
  • hangontighthangontight  699WRX Points: 156Members Posts: 699 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Jun 7, 2019 #21

    Jumping in late, but I’ve been on The same quest (with same airborn issue) for two years....finally found a good fit. My son is 8. He plays a Callaway GBB Fusion 7 wood (21*) as his fairway wood and has been smoking it lately with great ball flight/trajectory. The fusion is designed as a GI/easy to get ball up club with good reviews For women and seniors . Paired it with a Recoil ES 440 f1 shaft. Total setup on eBay/Callaway preowned probably $70. Took a while to get used to weight but he now hits it much better than he does the TS3 3 wood.

    Posted:
  • cellywrattcellywratt  57WRX Points: 38Members Posts: 57 Bunkers
    Joined:  #22

    Had our first hit out with the GBB Epic Heavenwood yesterday (after some delays due to the club being broken by UPS). Callaway Preowned were amazing at sorting a replacement club.

    Paired with a cut down Mitsubishi Miamana (green) m+50 ladies flex shaft. We've cut the shaft to be the same as the US Kids TS3 51 inch 3 Wood. The total weight came out 7 grams more than the USK club so I was pretty happy with that.

    Initial thoughts from the limited on course testing was that it was launching noticeably higher than the US Kids club, it was difficult to gauge roll-out due to the wet fairways but I think distance was probably slightly longer. Plan is to do some more work after my son's lesson tomorrow afternoon and he will hopefully have a better feel for it by then.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • cellywrattcellywratt  57WRX Points: 38Members Posts: 57 Bunkers
    Joined:  #23

    We had another road test today with the Heavenwood. I must say the difference between it and the TS is night and day. Launches higher and easier, was around 100m carry with crappy range balls. No issues with the Ladies flex shaft either which was a surprise. We have a new favourite in the bag now I think. Hopefully the weather is ok this weekend and we can test out on the course. Video below of one of his shots from this afternoon.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--fnkpD0taM6Hc0sglH8N1JXW6ffW5oX/view?usp=drivesdk

    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.