2019 Hugel-Air Premia LA Open Apr 25 - 28

Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,410 ✭✭

Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points

Format: 72 holes

Purse: $1,500,000

Par: 71

Yardage: 6,****

History: This is the 2nd year for the event. In 2018, Moriya Jutanugarn shot a 3 under par 68 to win by 2 shots, and pick up her first LPGA win.

Coverage:

Apr 25: Golf Channel 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm (ET)
Apr 26: Golf Channel 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm (ET)
Apr 27: Golf Channel 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm (ET)
Apr 28: Golf Channel 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm (ET)

Comments

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,410 ✭✭

Looks like another strong field. Sei Young appears to be the only top player sitting out. Weather looks wonderful with temps in the low to upper 70s.

I'm going with Jin Young this week. She finished 2T last year, and is playing superb golf at the moment. Eun Hee should also be in the mix.

• 18majors18majors Members Posts: 617 ✭✭

This is the week of Kristen Gillman; she could catapult over Lucky 6, who isn't in the field, to lead the Rookie of the Year race with a win.
    Also, she can get a share of mind for Solheim Cup consideration.

• StoochStooch Members Posts: 810 ✭✭

Imbee hasn't been playing that well this season but I'm gonna go with her, this course calls for a precise and controlled game or it will eat your lunch, maybe too short for pro men's game but a great challenge for the women. The next 2 weeks are a good chance for Lydia to pick up another win also, probably not enjoyable golf for the bombers but hey what better place to enjoy the weather and work on your tan for a couple events lol

• AWinfortheAgesAWinfortheAges Members Posts: 195 ✭✭

Ariya holds off a strong defense from Moriya this week.

• legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,630 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 6:38pm #7

We're not allowed to talk about the yardage? Seriously this censorship is getting intolerable. I understand wanting to maintain civility but we are deep into Orwellian thought control territory by now.

• rushfan96rushfan96 Members Posts: 590 ✭✭

@legitimategolf said:
    We're not allowed to talk about the yardage? Seriously this censorship is getting intolerable. I understand wanting to maintain civility but we are deep into Orwellian thought control territory by now.

Yeah what’s up with that?

• legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,630 ✭✭

Looking forward to this tournament again because I feel LA is a great place to have an LPGA event. Good crowds, and a fun city for the players.

I'm surprised you're actually posting anything, I'm like who cares about yardage after looking at that lol

• rushfan96rushfan96 Members Posts: 590 ✭✭

Awesome Argonne!

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 805 ✭✭

Wie is out. Not really surprising given how she's been playing / things didn't look right. Unfortunately, this seems like it may be worse than "just need more rest."

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • AWinfortheAgesAWinfortheAges Members Posts: 195 ✭✭

@agolf1 said:
    Wie is out. Not really surprising given how she's been playing / things didn't look right. Unfortunately, this seems like it may be worse than "just need more rest."

I'm not her doctor, heck I'm not a doctor at all, but it seemed like she rushed to get back twice after the surgery and now is doing the proper thing by getting rest. Hopefully she has no timetable on her return.

• ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 953 ✭✭

Minjee for the win. I like DK and Eun Hee Ji contending. Rolling the dice on Yu Liu for sleeper pick.

• MellowMellow Members Posts: 268 ✭✭

Inky all the way! At ANA she was contending with just two good rounds. No stress here and I think it can suit her game. She's done well at tough courses before.

Another tourney where just about every favorite I have is playing, so lot of finger crossing.

Su, you have one mission: have a good fun four rounds! You can do it

This is just Hee Young's fourth tourney of the year. Hope she has a great time and luck. Hee Young is such a bright spot.

And good luck to Moriya on her defense. Was happy to see her get this win.

Argonne, hope you're having an awesome time there!

That's a heck of a place to hit 500 and quite the bucketlist item you've check off there and amazing pic with that iconic view.

I'm surprised Kristen Gillman is one of the top 40 betting favorites this week; in fact, I'm surprised people know she plays LPGA.
    No question, a lot more people will know her before this season ends.

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,120 ✭✭

@rushfan96 said:

@legitimategolf said:

Yeah what’s up with that?

Puzzling to say the least.

Did we ever get an answer to this or get to the bottom of it?

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,337 ✭✭
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,337 ✭✭
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.

@18majors said:
    I'm surprised Kristen Gillman is one of the top 40 betting favorites this week; in fact, I'm surprised people know she plays LPGA.
    No question, a lot more people will know her before this season ends.

She still has a way to go to into the tournament match-up section on betting sites, that's where they put the top players and top tier talent. Too bad I probably would have picked Kristen this week, I think her game suits this course and she could have a good finish, I would have liked the odds I got for her too lol. The 2 sites I use for golf betting, have very bad match-ups this week for the LPGA and with the team event on the PGA I'll probably concentrate on Tennis lol. I generally don't bet on who will win the events it's too much of a crap shoot and you guys know my success rate with my picks each week in the tournament threads, so it would be wasting money lol

edited Apr 24, 2019 7:19pm #25

The strength of the field is very strong; the winner will get about 63 Rolex Ranking points.
    By comparison, Brooke got 56 for her win last week.

edited Apr 24, 2019 7:20pm #26

Don't have high hope for In Gee Chun; hoping for a top 20.

Muni got added to the field. She didn't play well in the Monday qualifier, and was a ways down the reserve list. I assume some of the other reserves were not in LA when someone dropped out (anyone else besides Wie)?

Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)

@agolf1 said:
    Muni got added to the field. She didn't play well in the Monday qualifier, and was a ways down the reserve list. I assume some of the other reserves were not in LA when someone dropped out (anyone else besides Wie)?

Monday Qualifier has no bearings on the alternate list for the tournament. The alternate list for the tournament is based on LPGA priority list, which Muni is No. 156.
    When Muni played Monday Qualifier, both No. 154 and No. 155 were already off the alternate list and made into the final field. Essentially, Muni became the No. 1 alternate.
    Muni just needed one more player to withdraw and thankfully she got it.

@18majors said:

@agolf1 said:

Monday Qualifier has no bearings on the alternate list for the tournament. The alternate list for the tournament is based on LPGA priority list, which Muni is No. 156.
    When Muni played Monday Qualifier, both No. 154 and No. 155 were already off the alternate list and made into the final field. Essentially, Muni became the No. 1 alternate.

OK thanks. I knew the two things were separate, but the I didn't realize Muni was the #1 alternative at that point. The list on the tournament site had her as the 8th alternate (right behind the two at 154 and 155. I guess this list was as of 16 April though), so I thought she had little chance of playing.

Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    edited Apr 24, 2019 11:17pm #30

@agolf1 said:

@18majors said:

@agolf1 said:

OK thanks. I knew the two things were separate, but the I didn't realize Muni was the #1 alternative at that point. The list on the tournament site had her as the 8th alternate (right behind the two at 154 and 155. I guess this list was as of 16 April though), so I thought she had little chance of playing.

Lilia Vu, No. 154 on the priority list, was on Monday Qualifier list; she withdrew Monday morning before qualification started. It caught my eyes.
    Good news for Muni; better news would be to make the cut.
    By the way, Mo Martin withdrew due to lingering back injuries.

Article on GolfChannel about Lydia's 22nd birthday.
    https://www.golfchannel.com/video/evaluating-lydia-kos-career-her-22nd-birthday

Looking back, it's even more amazing. To start 2016, she won the Kia and ANA. Then she had the 54 hole lead at both the Women's PGA and the Women's US Open (could have won 4 majors in a row). She managed two more wins that year, but it has never been the same since somewhere in the second half of the 2016 season.

Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)