I think my 3W needs to go ... but now what?

Little NedLittle Ned Members Posts: 1,013 ✭✭

I was fitted for a 3W but if I'm honest with myself, I cannot hit it. Things seem fine at the range. It's on the course that is a different story. When the lies aren't flat, I have trouble. I usually see low line drives that lack consistency. I'm better with my 4 & 5 hybrids and even my 5W. FWIW ... I've never tried my 3W off the tee.

Anyway, since I only pull it out once or twice a round (if that), I just feels like I'm wasting a club in my bag. I could make more use of something. I just don't know where to go. Another fairway wood? Hybrid?

Thanks for your help and let me know if you have any questions!

Ping G 9* + 1* Tour 65
Cobra F8 5W, 7W
Cobra F8 4H, 5H
Ping G 6-UW SteelFiber i95
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

Comments

• clemsontiger1clemsontiger1 Members Posts: 195 ✭✭

Go Tigers!

Ping Anser Driver 9 turned to 9.5 with diamana ahina shaft
    Cobra Baffler set to 17.5 with the Red Tie shaft
    Titleist 818 H1 with the Tensei Pro White 90 shaft
    Taylormade P790 Irons (5-PW) with Project X shafts
    Callaway MD3 wedges (50 & 54) with KBS Tour shafts
    Callaway PM grind (58) with KBS Tour shaft
    Odyssey White Ice #7
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,315 ✭✭

@Little Ned said:
    I was fitted for a 3W but if I'm honest with myself, I cannot hit it. Things seem fine at the range. It's on the course that is a different story. When the lies aren't flat, I have trouble. I usually see low line drives that lack consistency. I'm better with my 4 & 5 hybrids and even my 5W. FWIW ... I've never tried my 3W off the tee.

Anyway, since I only pull it out once or twice a round (if that), I just feels like I'm wasting a club in my bag. I could make more use of something. I just don't know where to go. Another fairway wood? Hybrid?

Become a master of a 5-wood.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,843 ✭✭

+1 for the 4 wood recommendation.

• dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,195 ClubWRX

When in doubt, add loft.
    I feel your pain. May want to first try the Cobra F9 3-4 wood, which has restored my confidence and is adjustable to boot. So easy to launch I haven’t even changed from the factory 14.5 loft setting, which by past experience I assumed I would.

Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • Little NedLittle Ned Members Posts: 1,013 ✭✭

@dubbelbogey said:
    A quick and easy experiment would be to see if choking up on your 3w an inch or even an inch and a half makes a difference in your reliability of getting a clean(er) strike. If so, that'll tell you something useful. It could be as simple as cutting the shaft (and maybe adding a little lead tape, if you're worried about swingweight - to a lot of golfers it's a minor factor) or steer you towards another shorter club e.g. 4/5w or 2h.

I do think the relatively small clubface and relatively longer length of a typical 3w is what makes them problematic for many golfers.

I think there could be something to your last comment. I don't hit it a mile, but I can hit the fairways with my driver and I'll take that any day. I wish that was the same story with my 3W. I'm just at a loss as to a "good" fairway wood/hybrid. I was fitted for the G's but tried the Epic on a whim. So I'm not loyal to a specific brand. I just want to play good golf.

Ping G 9* + 1* Tour 65
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H, 5H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • nicholasriehlnicholasriehl Nick R. Hershey, PAMembers Posts: 315 ✭✭

I ditched the 3 wood a while back. My swing speed isn't terrible but anything with less than 16* of loft seems to be a problem. I see your playing PING G woods (which I love the G/G400 line!)....One option would be to do what I have done which is ditch the 3 wood, get the G/G400 5 wood which comes stock at 17.5* and turn it down to 16.5* or 16.9* and play it like a 4 wood.

PING G400 LST 10* --- HZRDUS Black 65-6.0
    PING G400 16.9* Fairway --- HZRDUS Yellow 75-6.0
    Callaway Epic 20* Hybrid --- HZRDUS Black 85-6.0
    Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-PW --- Modus 120-S
    Cleveland CBX 50* + 56* --- Modus 120-S
    PING Eye2 Gorge LW --- Modus 120-S
    PING Pickemup B --- 35" Counterbalanced Conversion
  • Sweden_WilliamSweden_William Members Posts: 4

I use a 4 wood at 16.5°, and it is amazing how more effective it is for me compared to a 3 wood. I'd say give it a try.

Driver: Ping G25
    4 wood: Ping G25
    7 wood: Ping G25
    23° hybrid: Ping G25
    5i - pw: Mizuno MP64
    50° / 54° / 58° wedges: Cleveland Rotex 2.0
    Putter: Ping Redwood Anser

• JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 798 ✭✭

A couple of questions you need to ask.

Do you need 3-Wood length off the fairway where you play?
    Do you get within a country mile of the green when you’re 200+ yards away with anything?
    Do you need a club that’ll give you another, better option off the tee instead?
    Would an extra wedge in the bag benefit you more?

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Regular Alta CB 44.5”
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Titleist 818 H1 18 and 23 Hybrids Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Ping G410 SW Regular Alta
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 2017
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #2 2019
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
    Odyssey Exo 7s
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 798 ✭✭

Just to add to that, for me it depends on the season. On hard ground I don’t need that extra long club, but a 64* wedge is just magic with a bit of practice, the ability to flop a shot and stop it dead from 30 yards is wonderful, and not that difficult.

In winter, that’s not really needed, an extra long club benefits more.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Regular Alta CB 44.5”
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Titleist 818 H1 18 and 23 Hybrids Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Ping G410 SW Regular Alta
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 2017
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #2 2019
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
    Odyssey Exo 7s
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,017 ✭✭

@Little Ned said:

The thing I am focusing on while rebuilding my bag this season isn’t filling yardage gaps, but filling purpose gaps. For me, on my home course from my regular tees, a three wood makes the most sense on most of the par fours and one par five. So I need one to hit off the tee.
    I’d say figure out what you need and get that.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

@Joelsim said:
    A couple of questions you need to ask.

Do you need 3-Wood length off the fairway where you play?
    Do you get within a country mile of the green when you’re 200+ yards away with anything?
    Do you need a club that’ll give you another, better option off the tee instead?
    Would an extra wedge in the bag benefit you more?

I should have explained a little better. Right now, I’m just trying to make par. So I’m not hitting 3W on a par 4 and definitely not on a par 5. I’d love to be but that’s just not my reality right now. So after a drive, I usually follow up with the club I’m most confident in - sometimes a hybrid, sometimes an iron, and a couple times a round a 5w. I find it more important to stay on the fairway than 30 yards closer and in the bushes. I hit my 7i 140 usually.

Ping G 9* + 1* Tour 65
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H, 5H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne

@Myherobobhope said:
    The thing I am focusing on while rebuilding my bag this season isn’t filling yardage gaps, but filling purpose gaps. For me, on my home course from my regular tees, a three wood makes the most sense on most of the par fours and one par five. So I need one to hit off the tee.
    I’d say figure out what you need and get that.

That’s a great point. It has me wondering if something like a 7w is what I should look at.

Ping G 9* + 1* Tour 65
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H, 5H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • billm67billm67 Members Posts: 2

I'm dealing with a similar issue. No confidence in 3 or 5 wood. I keep going for my hybrid. I still play with a Cleveland Mashie and I'm thinking about putting a Cobra F7 2/3 hybrid.

Those Cobra fairway woods must be good. I’ve seen more than a few posts about them.

Ping G 9* + 1* Tour 65
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H, 5H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,432 ClubWRX

I am loving the new F9 5-6 fw wd! I was ready to toss the 5 wood and just play my 7, and decided to give the F9 a chance. Glad I did. Long, easy to get airborne, and straight. Very impressed.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,291 ✭✭

I run two hybrids as I can’t hit a 3 wood either. 17 degree hybrid turned down to 16 and a 19 degree hybrid.

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,586 ✭✭

My razr xtreme 4 wood is pretty money!
    Straight as an arrow

• mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,518 ✭✭

@nicholasriehl said:
    I ditched the 3 wood a while back. My swing speed isn't terrible but anything with less than 16* of loft seems to be a problem. I see your playing PING G woods (which I love the G/G400 line!)....One option would be to do what I have done which is ditch the 3 wood, get the G/G400 5 wood which comes stock at 17.5* and turn it down to 16.5* or 16.9* and play it like a 4 wood.

In my opinion, modern day drivers have limited the effectiveness of the traditional fairway wood. Back in the day, you needed a 'safe' option off the tee to keep it in play. Now drivers are so (relatively) forgiving that a FW from the tee is purely a distance choice. I played a 4-wood for years. When PING stopped making them, I was initially disappointed. I eventually just bought a 5-wood and it's been fantastic. I turned it down to the little - setting. It's even easier to hit off the deck and gives me all the distance I need when laying up off the tee. I'm not expecting to hit a target from a 3-wood distance out. And if I'm a club or two further out laying up off the tee, it's normally not a big deal...especially now that hybrids are as easy to hit as mid irons.

WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭

I just dumped my 3 wood for a 16 degree 2H. On my best hit I may get an extra 15 yards from the 3 wood but so far I have hit over 10 shots on course with 2H and all of them were in play and long enough. I cant believe I didnt do this sooner.

Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto

Thanks. This thread has been incredible so far. I’ve decided to take the 3W out of the bag and go with something I can get more use from. Now what that is becomes the million dollar question. You guys have made great arguments for another wood or even a lower hybrid.

Ping G 9* + 1* Tour 65
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H, 5H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • nostaticnostatic "i drank what?!?" Socrates lost angelesClubWRX Posts: 172 ClubWRX

@Little Ned said:
    Those Cobra fairway woods must be good. I’ve seen more than a few posts about them.

Very good. I was fit into the F9 3W and 3H. While I've had the occasional spat with the 3W, took it out to the range last weekend and worked out some kinks. I'm running it at 14.5*. The rails work for me, especially on the hybrid.

Ping G400Max 10.5 XTorsion S - Cobra F9 3W 16 Devo7 S - F9 3H Devo8 S 
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - 919F GW - S18 55/09 PX LZ Tour 6.0 - Ping Glide2.0 Stealth 58TS
    Odyssey StrokeLab Double Wide Flow
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
    edited Apr 24, 2019 3:53am #25

I was inconsistent with 3 wood on fairways until I got a Ping G. Not a strong 3W at 16 degrees, but manageable off the deck most of the time. This improved even more when adjusted to 17 degrees, effectively making it a 4W. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭

I have had several t.e.e 4 woods over the years.Tried a 915 4 wood recently but it was 44 long...just sold ping i25 3 wood also...grab an xcg6 4 wood! Its within 15 metres of driver distance but in the centre. I just landed a cally mini 1.5 so looking at 13 degrees there then maybe 21/7 wood again!

2019 May

Ping [email protected] 10.5
    Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Vokey SM5 50 08 F Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!

So my 4 hybrid is 22* and my 5 wood is 18*. I’m kinda confused here because I looked up the F8 woods and a 7-8 wood is 21-23.5*. Does that overlap in lofts work for me? Might be a stupid question but does a wood hit further than a hybrid at the same loft? FWIW, a 3-4 wood is 13-15.5*.

Ping G 9* + 1* Tour 65
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H, 5H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • ThinneditThinnedit Club tech MelbourneMembers Posts: 14 ✭✭

I play my epic flash 3w at +1 (16⁰)
    Grip down on it in the fairway for control. It plays like a 4 wood. Good for 220y.
    Off the tee grip it normally and let that baby fly 240y all day.
    Loft is your friend with fairway woods.

Epic flash 3wd
    Ping rapture j-spec 5-P+S
    Ping gowin 5
    Golf.
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,523 ✭✭

I hate my 3 wood. We are not friends, but some reason i keep it around...

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • jgallant415jgallant415 ClubWRX Posts: 269 ClubWRX

@Little Ned said:
    Thanks. This thread has been incredible so far. I’ve decided to take the 3W out of the bag and go with something I can get more use from. Now what that is becomes the million dollar question. You guys have made great arguments for another wood or even a lower hybrid.

I’ve been testing a TEE EXS 4w and an Epic Flash 5w lofted down to 17* and think both could fit what you’re looking for. Getting slightly more ball speed from the Epic, so carry distance is about the same despite the 5w being a touch shorter, but the EXS is stupidly easy to hit from both the tee and the turf and the price tag is appealing at $229 vs. most of the other new stuff at $300+. I’m torn, so in true WRX’er fashion, I will likely buy both.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 988 ✭✭

My $.02. Prepare for opinion.

The technology that makes today's drivers easier to hit has not reached three woods. They look and play very much like clubs from 20 years ago. The technology that makes irons easier to hit and go farther has likewise not made it to three woods. Low gravy, the thought process that they are easier to hit and control than a driver is not as valid as it once was. I personally find them hard to hit from tight fairway. And if the fairway is tight I'll use a 3I and let it run out and get pretty good distance.

I still pack mine. For the longest time I carried the venerable TM V-Steel. Got a SLIDR when it came out and it sucked. Found an Adams on one of the online discounters for a steal that had the face slot thingy on the sole and it is pretty hot and about as easy to hit as the V-Steel, though still not great. I am as likely to top it as I am to get it out where I need it. That being the case in the rare, rare instance I need 250+ I just pull and iron and lay up. It is either an incredibly long par five, where laying up I still have a chance at birdie, or I duffed my drive on a par four, in that case I just need to take my medicine and keep it to a bogey at worse.

Would you benefit from a driving iron? You said you had two hybrids, a 5w and 3w, how are you on wedges? <I may have misunderstood what you are packing though.