Shaft Weight and Swing Speed

ericmccllgh2 ·  
ericmccllgh2ericmccllgh2  18WRX Points: 45Handicap: 10Members Posts: 18 Bunkers

Recently I've seen it talked about that Tiger had switched from a 70g D+ LTD to a 60g, and I thought I heard that it was to help him regain some speed that he felt he had lost. How much would dropping 10g in a driver shaft help with a player's speed? I know there are so many more important variables to getting optimum drives, and these guys have much better passes at the ball than I, but in your experience in fitting/real world, how much swing speed might a player pick up by switching into a 60g-ish over a 70? Not talking about ball speed as the change in weight might change smash factor, but really just wondering about MPH on the club head speed by going lighter?

Posted:

Comments

• tsecortsecor Loading........  4577WRX Points: 447Members Posts: 4,577 Titanium Tees

I just went 10g lighter on one shaft and its barely noticeable.....on a 2nd shaft I went 10g lighter (different mfg) and it feels like its a feather so swing weight and type of shaft come into play quite a bit.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New Hampshire 24627WRX Points: 1,378Members Posts: 24,627 Titanium Tees

Lots of variables - but for me between 55 gm - 68 gm I wont see any appreciable change. Going further (heavier) might slow things down a bit - but then that likely has more to do with the amount of arthritis in my hands than any issue of strength.

Posted:
  • drscott266drscott266  539WRX Points: 173Members Posts: 539 Golden Tee

Balance point on the shaft matters too, as in where do you feel the weight. I don’t even mean counterbalanced or not, different shafts have different balance points and that can affect how fast you swing it (or not). I have an evenflow white that feels too heavy, while the HZRDUS smoke feels pretty even.

Bend profile matters too... I always find the softer handle of the Diamana White profile to make me feel like I am swinging fast and smooth. The HZRDUS T800 felt whipping to me and forced me to slow down.

My point in all this is a heavier shaft that fits my tempo and swing will likely go faster than a lighter one that doesn’t fit me.

Posted:
  • 300_Straight300_Straight  1001WRX Points: 77Handicap: 9.5Members Posts: 1,001 Platinum Tees

Some players may actually swing the lighter shaft slower because of a number of different variables. If you're a timing based player, you just may need the extra weight to time the shaft correctly. All things equal you might gain 1-2mph.

Posted:
    King LTD Pro 7.5* / Kuro Kage DC XT 60TX Tipped 1.25" -- 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    Srixon z745 3-PW -- Modus 130x
    50/8f SM7
    54/12 Top Flite
    58/12d SM7

Old Odyssey Mallet

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.