Pushing short putts under pressure - Smaller grip to cure?

golf85golf85 Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

I play a SC Newport 2 with a Super Stroke 2.0 grip. Have had it for a few years and love it all around. I have a slight arc stroke and it suits me well. I have big hands and i used to like the bigger grip as it helped me overall, but now my putting is much more consistent and i have found that on shorter putts (5' ish) especially under pressure, i will grip a tad tight and push the ball.
Anyone ever had this issue? I have been messing around with smaller grips (in stores) and i feel like in these situations it may help me from gripping too tight. With the fatter grip so much hand and palm is on/around the grip its so easy to grip tighter without really noticing it, with a smaller grip you can tell right away.
Thoughts? Or should i just go try one out for a while and see, its only $30 anyways. Thanks!

TaylorMade M4 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue X
Ping G 3W - 14.5* - Tour AD DJ-7X
Ping G 3H - 19* - Alta 70 X
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - 4-PW - DG SL s300
Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 58D
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 - 2015

Comments

• HoosierMizunoHoosierMizuno Members Posts: 3,370 ✭✭

similar problem here... i've went to a smaller grip and it didn't help. could be a number of reasons. for me, i had too long of a backstroke. on short putts, i tended to then decelerate or not finish the stroke which left them missing right edge. i shortened by backstroke, and then focused on finishing the stroke through the ball and it helped.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
    Cobra F8 19*
    J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
    Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
    TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 
  • barosboroughbarosborough Members Posts: 144 ✭✭

Maybe try adjusting your stance so the ball is more towards your front foot. Allows the arc to get back to square. I have this tendency and it really helps me out. Can't hurt to try on the practice green.

• golf85golf85 Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

@barosborough said:
    Maybe try adjusting your stance so the ball is more towards your front foot. Allows the arc to get back to square. I have this tendency and it really helps me out. Can't hurt to try on the practice green.

Thanks, I have previously re-affirmed this to not be the issue, cant really put the ball any further ahead anymore.

TaylorMade M4 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue X
    Ping G 3W - 14.5* - Tour AD DJ-7X
    Ping G 3H - 19* - Alta 70 X
    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - 4-PW - DG SL s300
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 58D
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 - 2015
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,373 ✭✭

You could try a smaller grip, but I kind of doubt it will make much difference. I’d recommend trying to really finish your stroke all the way until after impact. Don’t release the putter head too early, but try to keep the shaft “loaded” until after impact, and first then let it release.

Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s a thought I try to remember for myself under pressure.

• Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,683 ✭✭

Biggest space in golf is between the ears. Get the pressure out of your head and you will be fine. If you think the smaller grip will help, might be all the positive you need to lose the pressure. Im not a good putter so Im just spitballing here....

Cobra F9 - Atmos TS Black 6x
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    718 TMB 19* - DG AMT White s300
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,072 ✭✭

@golf85 said:
    I play a SC Newport 2 with a Super Stroke 2.0 grip. Have had it for a few years and love it all around. I have a slight arc stroke and it suits me well. I have big hands and i used to like the bigger grip as it helped me overall, but now my putting is much more consistent and i have found that on shorter putts (5' ish) especially under pressure, i will grip a tad tight and push the ball.
    Anyone ever had this issue? I have been messing around with smaller grips (in stores) and i feel like in these situations it may help me from gripping too tight. With the fatter grip so much hand and palm is on/around the grip its so easy to grip tighter without really noticing it, with a smaller grip you can tell right away.
    Thoughts? Or should i just go try one out for a while and see, its only $30 anyways. Thanks!

The way I read this, going to the larger group helped you to improve your putting overall, but you still have a problem with shorter putts. You ascribe the problem to "grip a tad tight". You can certainly try to change your equipment to fix this issue, but by changing to a smaller grip, you may reverse some of the improvement that going to the larger grip has brought about. It might be more productive to find a way to NOT grip tighter on short putts. If you can find a way to put pressure on your putting practice, you may find a way to deal with it better.
    Personally, I tend to let my eyes follow the clubhead occasionally, which in turn causes a small movement of my head and body, which makes my direction control erratic.

• SheriffBoothSheriffBooth Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 4,431 mod

Lots of things could be the root cause. A grip change might help you better release the putter and the only way to find out is to try. Relatively cheap test.

I had a similar issue and solved it on short putts by focusing on taking the putter back on a straighter line. I think this came from a Johnson Wagner tip I read, where he basically said he was an arc putter but as he got closer to the hole he focused more on taking the putter SBST.

Taylormade M6, 9.0*, Hzrdus Smoke 60 S
    Taylormade M5, 15*, Hzrdus Smoke 70 S
    Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage S
    Taylormade P-790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Taylormade MG 50, 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black, 36"
  • joew2328joew2328 MichiganMembers Posts: 26 ✭✭

I think it depends where your grip pressure is. I am a right handed golfer, and I notice when my grip pressure is higher in my left hand, particularly my 3 smallest fingers, that I tend to release the toe less than normal. If grip pressure is higher in my right hand, index and thumb, I release the toe more than normal. So if I have a pressure putt, I try to pay attention to where my grip pressure is, and what type of putt I am facing.

I also believe that your awareness to your tendency will help you in the future.

Callaway Rogue SZ (Fujikura Pro 63 X)
    Titleist 910 Fd 15 (AD-BB TX 7)
    Titleist TMB 2i (AD-95 X)
    Titleist TMB 3-4i (KBS C Taper X 130)
    Titleist 716 MB 5-9i (KBS C Taper X 130)
    Vokey SM4 Raw: 46, 54, 60 (KBS C Taper X 130)
    Odyssey Black Series 1W
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 798 ✭✭

Have you tried a small forward push with your hands before you start your stroke? Up until a month ago I was exactly the same and getting really frustrated. Now, the forward press starts the stroke without having to lift the club but also helps to ensure a torso swing rather than wristy.

Give it a go, just stick a cup 3 feet away on your carpet at home and bang a few in. I think you’ll find you have a much more positive stroke, far less jitters and more confidence.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Regular Alta CB 44.5”
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Titleist 818 H1 18 and 23 Hybrids Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Ping G410 SW Regular Alta
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 2017
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #2 2019
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
    Odyssey Exo 7s
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,278 ✭✭

Maybe get a face balanced putter or something with minimal toe hang.

• ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 278 ✭✭

Have you checked your alignment to make sure you're not inadvertently closing your stance? Has this always been an issue or did it just start happening?

Ping G 9*
    Taylormade V-Steel 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Wedges TBD
    Bettinardi BB0 copper with carbon fiber insert/Vintage Ping Dalehead Anser
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj Members Posts: 15,226 ✭✭

What drills do you do to improve your performance on short putts?

Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Sauce : tour
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-PW

Vokey 50º illegal grooves
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Bobby Grace Amazing Grace

Oncore Elixir
  • tanker44tanker44 Mid-AtlanticMembers Posts: 273 ✭✭

Lots of possibilities here. I have been doing this lately and I think its come down to posture and speed.

Posture - if I rush it I won't get my eyes over the ball, my hands will drop (causing hinge), my shoulders will be closed, I will be rushed and i'll pull the putter away like i'm swinging an axe. I'm also left eye dominant so if I don't get my left eye over the ball and my weight into my lead foot i'm in trouble as well.
    Speed - if I am not confident and don't commit I will decelerate and push the putter like a lazy old woman.

I am typically very steady inside 5 feet and know I will get past it. Just a matter of practice. Pre-putt routine. Posture checks. Confidence in line. And keeping your head and weight locked in all the way through the putt.

TM M2 - Oban Kiyoshi 
    Epic Flash SZ 13.5* 
    Epic Flash SZ 18*
    Callaway Apex 2019 3/PW
    Titleist SM7 56/60
    TM Spider Tour 
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,440 ✭✭

@davep043 said:

@golf85 said:

The way I read this, going to the larger group helped you to improve your putting overall, but you still have a problem with shorter putts. You ascribe the problem to "grip a tad tight". You can certainly try to change your equipment to fix this issue, but by changing to a smaller grip, you may reverse some of the improvement that going to the larger grip has brought about. It might be more productive to find a way to NOT grip tighter on short putts. If you can find a way to put pressure on your putting practice, you may find a way to deal with it better.
    Personally, I tend to let my eyes follow the clubhead occasionally, which in turn causes a small movement of my head and body, which makes my direction control erratic.

@joew2328 said:
    I think it depends where your grip pressure is. I am a right handed golfer, and I notice when my grip pressure is higher in my left hand, particularly my 3 smallest fingers, that I tend to release the toe less than normal. If grip pressure is higher in my right hand, index and thumb, I release the toe more than normal. So if I have a pressure putt, I try to pay attention to where my grip pressure is, and what type of putt I am facing.

I also believe that your awareness to your tendency will help you in the future.

I find the opposite. Too much grip pressure in my left hand relative to my right and I shut the face, and too much in the right and the face opens and putts go right. This is something I actually work on, keeping my grip pressure "even" and not squeezing too much with the last three fingers of either hand as this is what really causes it.

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 798 ✭✭

With regard to grip pressure, I’m finding that the lighter I grip it the better it is.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Regular Alta CB 44.5”
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Titleist 818 H1 18 and 23 Hybrids Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Ping G410 SW Regular Alta
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 2017
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #2 2019
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
    Odyssey Exo 7s
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,150 ✭✭

Follow the putter head to the hole and hold until the putt drops, seriously. Short stabby strokes, where you immediately recoil the putter head back to neutral, are often the culprit in botched putts. Just continue the putter head on a line to the hole and hold, obtaining this desired finish position should really free up impact thoughts/tension.

'16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,072 ✭✭

@Mike_C said:
    I find the opposite. Too much grip pressure in my left hand relative to my right and I shut the face, and too much in the right and the face opens and putts go right. **This is something I actually work on, keeping my grip pressure "even" and not squeezing too much with the last three fingers of either hand as this is what really causes it. **

You mean you actively work to correct an issue? You don't just change your equipment? That sounds way too difficult.
    And yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I'm not a big believer that changing equipment should be the first option for solving an issue, when many times a little work will provide a better and longer-lasting solution.

• JShawJShaw Members Posts: 319 ✭✭

I find that sometimes on short putts I stand to close to the ball. I putt best with my eyes inside the line and on short putts my eyes will sometimes be over the line. When I let that happen my takeaway can get wonky and a little outside so I subconsciously open the putter face on the forward stroke and push the ball. YMMV

• Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,440 ✭✭

I will add one more thing, especially for misses to the right on short putts. I have had a habit of moving my head (probably my whole body) every so slightly towards the hole on the forward stroke, especially under pressure, maybe I am trying to "wish" the ball in the hole. I never used to think I did such a thing, until one day after playing in a tournament (and missing several short birdie putts) somebody said something to me afterward like "do you always move your head so much on short putts?". Next time out focused on staying really steady over my short putts, and it was almost like magic, I stopped shoving them right...... Now it is one of my first checks when I miss to the right.....

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z945 5-PW Recoil Proto 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star
  • towncryertowncryer Members Posts: 392 ✭✭

FIrst of all, I'm not joking...just got to make that clear.
    Get an Inside Down The Line Short Track training aid and start grinding. It's an awesome trainer that lets you really feel a stable stroke.

G400 10.5 w/ Tour 65x
    915 2h Diamana D+
    PING iBlade 3-PW DGS400
    SM7 52, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
    Vice Pro Plus LIME!!!!