Left Hand Golf Grip: Can it be too much in the fingers?

JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous todayPAMembers Posts: 280 ✭✭

When I look at instruction books, I don't see too much instruction on how the club grip should lay on the left hand. I think Hogan was most precise:

In the photo, it appears that the club is aligned "diagonally" on the open left hand. That is, the end of the club grip is aligned over the palm and not the pinkie. I think that Hogan calls this area the heel pad of the hand. Whereas, at the other end of the hand, the club grip is aligned over the index finger, between the 1st and 2nd joint. This appears to be a diagonal alignment where the club is resting partly in the palm and partly in the fingers. Let's call this the Hogan grip.

What happens if the club rests more "squarely" in the left hand? That is, the club grip rests between the palm and the first joint of each finger? Let's call this the finger grip.

Is this a major issue? If yes, what issues/problems would the finger grip cause? Or if the other way around, what benefits would be derived from a finger grip?

Comments

• JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous today PAMembers Posts: 280 ✭✭

Another example. It's like the "Hogan grip" with the club aligned diagonally across the hand:

• MilkersMilkers Members Posts: 99 ✭✭

I think because the weight of the club is constantly trying to lever the handle more into the palm of your left hand at address (assuming club is not resting on the ground obv) then maybe it is very hard to have it "too much" in the base of the fingers? I think amateurs have much more problems caused by left hand palm/overly diagonal grip. Interesting question though.

• JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Woke up feeling a little dangerous today PAMembers Posts: 280 ✭✭

Thanks Milkers. The reason that I ask the question is that I think I have too much hinge of the left wrist at the top of the backswing. And I think that this is caused by my left hand grip being more finger-y as opposed to Hogan-y. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar epiphany or if this is a red herring.

• hurley999shurley999s Members Posts: 164 ✭✭

@JohnnyCashForever said:
    Thanks Milkers. The reason that I ask the question is that I think I have too much hinge of the left wrist at the top of the backswing. And I think that this is caused by my left hand grip being more finger-y as opposed to Hogan-y. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar epiphany or if this is a red herring.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing but for the opposite reason. I’ve always used this diagonal left hand grip and my left wrist is VERY radial at the top (always heard to cock the club as a youngster and I overdid it). Also, I use a short left thumb, so I was wondering if I moved to a grip more straight across at the base fingers and a long thumb may help me get not as radial at the top. Following to see any opinions/experience with this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file