Hate my swing. Help!

zbotzbot Dallas, TXMembers Posts: 12 ✭✭

Would love some feedback! Seems like lately I can't get my hips to turn, and always, forever, my constant issue has been an immediate over the top move at the transition instead of a shallowing.

Comments

• physasstphysasst Rochester, MNMembers Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm hardly an expert, but it looks like you are opening the club face up big time on your backswing. It might be making you compensate by doing the "over the top" move. I'd focus first on your backswing. I only noticed, because I am battling the same thing right now.

Srixzon z785 9.5*
    Taylormade M1 3W 15*
    Srixon H7853i Hybrid 19*
    Taylormade P-790 4-GW
    Cleveland 588-RTX 54* SW
    Cleveland 588-RTX 58* LW
    Cleveland Smart Square Counterbalanced Putter
  • zbotzbot Dallas, TXMembers Posts: 12 ✭✭

@physasst said:
    I'm hardly an expert, but it looks like you are opening the club face up big time on your backswing. It might be making you compensate by doing the "over the top" move. I'd focus first on your backswing. I only noticed, because I am battling the same thing right now.

I see what you mean. It actually looks a little closed at the top, but opens up early in the takeaway.

• SmthCriminlSmthCriminl Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

The first two things I thought about upon viewing your swing were:
    The takeaway: you're releasing your left arm from your body, letting your hands go towards the ball and rolling your wrists, which subsequently forces the clubshaft to leave the plane immediately - from there you have to make adjustments through out the swing to just get back on plane. A common compensation of being under the plane in the backswing is getting over the top in the down swing.

The constant bend in your left leg.
    You do a good job deepening your hips in the backswing - Tiger and Hogan is great examples of this - but then your right leg keeps its bend WITHOUT the left leg straightening. That makes your hips incapable of (properly) driving 45 degree to the left.
    You do a bunch of good things, but you need to fix that takeaway and leg action, before you try to shallow the downswing.

@SmthCriminl said:
    The first two things I thought about upon viewing your swing were:
    The takeaway: you're releasing your left arm from your body, letting your hands go towards the ball and rolling your wrists, which subsequently forces the clubshaft to leave the plane immediately - from there you have to make adjustments through out the swing to just get back on plane. A common compensation of being under the plane in the backswing is getting over the top in the down swing.

The constant bend in your left leg.
    You do a good job deepening your hips in the backswing - Tiger and Hogan is great examples of this - but then your right leg keeps its bend WITHOUT the left leg straightening. That makes your hips incapable of (properly) driving 45 degree to the left.
    You do a bunch of good things, but you need to fix that takeaway and leg action, before you try to shallow the downswing.

This is great.
    Takeaway- would the correction here be to keep my hands moving along the plane my shoulders are turning on, while not letting the club get under plane?
    Left leg bend- not sure when I started doing that, but I see it now.

Watch Rosie takeaway here, at 1:50ish. He leaves the plane but saves it because he doesnt roll or break the wrists - this could be something to aim for short term. As you can see he's in as good position at the the top of the back swing as anyone you'll ever see. The breaking of the wrists will likely give you short game problem if it already hasn't.

The feeling you want is that your hands goes down as the club head moves up. A cocking of the wrists, not a breaking of them.

I’m not sure I’m visualizing the difference rolling/breaking a cocking the wrists. I see in the videos that I’m opening the face at the takeaway, and then closing it close to the top.

Is that what you’re seeing?

• physasstphysasst Rochester, MNMembers Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 3:56am #9

I'm no golf pro or instructor, but your club face still looks different at the top. Especially when you compare it to Justin Rose...Or Rory. At the 0.08 second point of your first video your club toe is pointing towards your front, while if you watch Justin Rose at 2:29 of the video above, OR Rory at 0.57 seconds of this video, the toe of their club face at the top is pointing towards the target. Again...I'm no expert, but it does not look the same.
    https://youtu.be/-zN7pkk0r4Q

Post edited by physasst on
    Srixzon z785 9.5*
    Taylormade M1 3W 15*
    Srixon H7853i Hybrid 19*
    Taylormade P-790 4-GW
    Cleveland 588-RTX 54* SW
    Cleveland 588-RTX 58* LW
    Cleveland Smart Square Counterbalanced Putter

New video here from today. I think my left leg is getting straighter at impact, I definitely feel like it's straightening and allowing a little more hip turn. Wrist rolling also feels different, but I'm not sure the swing actually looks any different.

Bad angle today. I'll get a better one this week.

Looks like my backswing can stop a little sooner too, right? There's that move at the end where my elbow comes up and the club head comes across that doesn't look like it's adding anything.

• Frasier CraneFrasier Crane Members Posts: 139 ✭✭

@zbot said:
    Looks like my backswing can stop a little sooner too, right? There's that move at the end where my elbow comes up and the club head comes across that doesn't look like it's adding anything.

2nd video looks like a slightly better backswing... looks like you get out of sync from the transition... lower body gets disconnected from upper body.

Take my observation with a grain of salt... not an expert in the least, just giving you an observation.

• laneholtlaneholt Members Posts: 543 ✭✭

Zbot,
    You make the same mistake millions of golfers make. That is - to try to Throw the face into the BACK of the ball (which is perfectly normal because that is the NATURAL action for a Human being. ) Unfortunately, the Golf swing is NOT NATURAL for us. It is totally unnatural and foreign to the Human Structure. Centrifugal forces pull that big RIGHT shoulder out toward the ball - And your HANDS AND ARMS have NO choice but to go OUT with them. Over - the - top is imminent . Our INTENT is ALWAYS to “”PULL “”the heel of the club face into the inside quadrant of the ball—— NEVER THE BACK OF IT! BECAUSE- it is the turning of the torso ( the inner circle ) that squares the face at impact , not the HANDS !!!!!!
    Now - the ONLY part of the Human structure that is the ONLY answer to these over - the -top- moves is——
    The HANDS — the ONLY part of our body attached to the shaft / lever.
    The HANDS — our external brains of which approx. 40 % of our brain is dedicated to.
    The HANDS —- either ( rightie of lefty) of which approx. 80% of the brain is dedicated to for motion.
    The HANDS —- they ONLY control/ direct the swing. They have NO power to HIT. They MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO ROLL OVER DURING THE DS AS THEY ARE GENETICALLY DESIGNED TO. THE BODY WILL ALWAYS OBEY THE COMMANDS OF THE —-HANDS !

Good luck

• flanign2flanign2 Members Posts: 3

You actually have good body mechanics. Good hip turn and a decent backswing. The best advice I can give is to fix the "chicken wing" issue.
    Your trail arm elbow is compromising your whole swing. You need to think about your elbow following your belly button, or jamming it into your ribcage. This will eliminate your massive out to in path.
    (https://us.v-cdn.net/6024507/uploads/editor/nt/62i9ntcbau62.png "")
    In that picture, your hips are moving but your trail elbow has flared out. It's too late to fix at this point. The club is coming over the top.

Check out Tiger here from last year. In his transition, the trail elbow is pointing straight down, like "losing an arm wrestling match". His arm has collapsed into his ribcage, eliminating the over the top motion.
    It is a hard transition to change and requires practice! But will for sure eliminate the over the top move. Cheers!

• laneholtlaneholt Members Posts: 543 ✭✭

Zbot,

You have such a severe over the top DS that it might take a somewhat radical thought  to overcome it. The golf swing is very similar to chopping with and axe and I hope you never try chopping a log like you do in this video  because you would come dangerously close to chopping off your left foot . Suppose their was a log on the ground parallel to that front rope and I asked you to chop it in half. You would no doubt  easily perform that simple task and I am sure you would PULL the axe around behind your torso to form a lever between your arms and the axe handle so as to create the necessary power to cut this log into . I doubt if you would swing the head of the axe anywhere near your left foot. Your goal is to “ PULL THE HEEL OF THE CLUB FACE  INTO THE INSIDE QUADRANT OF THE GOLF BALL, NOT INTO THE BACK. BC it is the turning / rotation of the torso that squares the face at impact — not the hands. 

Good luck.

Lane