I screwed up! Is this shaft still useable?

johnnybogeyjohnnybogey Members Posts: 1,814 ✭✭

Using new belt sander to prep graphite shaft. The shaft got stuck in the gap of the sander platform and belt for a split second but looks like the damage was done.

Any idea if the shaft can still be used?

Thanks

PXG Gen2 XF 9* Tensei Pro White 60s
PXG Gen1 17* hybrid EvenFlow Blue 85g 6.0
PXG Gen1 19* hybrid Tensei CK Blue 80g S
PXG Gen1 0311 5-AW Recoil Prototype 95 
Cleveland CBX 54*
Cleveland CBX 58*
Bettinardi Inovai 2.0
WITB Link

Comments

  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,277 ✭✭

    What shaft is it? Can it be tipped? If used, be sure to orient the bad spot to the top or bottom, not towards or away from target. What swingspeed for the user?

  • johnnybogeyjohnnybogey Members Posts: 1,814 ✭✭

    @I_HATE_SNOW said:
    What shaft is it? Can it be tipped? If used, be sure to orient the bad spot to the top or bottom, not towards or away from target. What swingspeed for the user?

    I had this installed in a 7 iron but want to soft step and install in my 8 iron.

    Shaft is Recoil 95 prototype. My swing speed with 7 is around 74-79.

    Thanks for the install tip. Will give it a shot.

    PXG Gen2 XF 9* Tensei Pro White 60s
    PXG Gen1 17* hybrid EvenFlow Blue 85g 6.0
    PXG Gen1 19* hybrid Tensei CK Blue 80g S
    PXG Gen1 0311 5-AW Recoil Prototype 95 
    Cleveland CBX 54*
    Cleveland CBX 58*
    Bettinardi Inovai 2.0
    WITB Link
  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 704 ✭✭

    As long as its below the top of the hosel, you're fine. Just make sure to use extra epoxy.
    If it is above the hosel, I wouldnt use it.

    Nike Vapor Pro Aldilla RIP NL
    Nike VR Covert Tour 2.0 3W Aldilla RIP
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 S300
    Nike B1-01 Black pearl shaft, Cork Tree Pistol
    TP5X
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,772 ✭✭

    It’d make a good alignment rod

    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

    The feedback system is annoying
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,277 ✭✭

    @johnnybogey said:

    @I_HATE_SNOW said:
    What shaft is it? Can it be tipped? If used, be sure to orient the bad spot to the top or bottom, not towards or away from target. What swingspeed for the user?

    I had this installed in a 7 iron but want to soft step and install in my 8 iron.

    Shaft is Recoil 95 prototype. My swing speed with 7 is around 74-79.

    Thanks for the install tip. Will give it a shot.

    Good luck, I think you will be fine. I'd put the bad spot at the bottom, oriented towards your feet.

  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,071 ClubWRX

    I agree with what others said about using it. I mangled a shaft very similar to that a couple of years ago and just loaded it up with epoxy. No problems. Now if you were a Jamie Sadlowski kind of guy I'd suggest replacing it.

    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 435 ✭✭

    I wouldnt use it. It may or may not fail, but its not somthing you want in the back of your mind!

  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,010 ClubWRX

    What's the worst that happens? You have to chase your 8i head down? Give it a shot.... Personally I would be very nervous about it and probably wouldn't use it, though...LOL

    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS yellow 76 6.0 
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB Nippon Modus 120s  4-P
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members Posts: 899 ✭✭

    This is why you should always use a razor blade and not a belt sander to prep graphite shafts.

      • 16' M2 8.5* TPT 14 Proto
      • LTD 14.5* Matrix 8M2
      • Vapor Fly Pro 3
      • Titleist T-MB 4
      • VR Forged 5-9
      • SM5 46*
      • SSC Don White Grind 53/58
      • PM Grind 64
      • Studio Design 1.5 Circle T
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭

    Shim it up with some dry-wall tape and you'll be good to go!

    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,223 ✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 6:52am #12

    Belt sanders and graphite shafts are not friends. It’s WAY too easy to take too much material. Clean the tip by scraping with a utility knife oriented perpendicular to the shaft. Final roughing up with sand paper held in your fingertips and just roll the shaft a few times while pinching the sand paper on the tip.

    ...but the others are correct. If the damage is below the top of the hosel and it’s on a very thick tipped iron shaft just use plenty of epoxy. All the stress is at the top of the hosel.

    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 435 ✭✭

    @Nixhex524 said:
    What's the worst that happens? You have to chase your 8i head down? Give it a shot.... Personally I would be very nervous about it and probably wouldn't use it, though...LOL

    I guess the worst thing that could happen would be for it to fly off and kill the beer cart girl!

  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,010 ClubWRX

    @indianalawnguy said:

    @Nixhex524 said:
    What's the worst that happens? You have to chase your 8i head down? Give it a shot.... Personally I would be very nervous about it and probably wouldn't use it, though...LOL

    I guess the worst thing that could happen would be for it to fly off and kill the beer cart girl!

    Yeah, you're right, that would be bad.

    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS yellow 76 6.0 
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB Nippon Modus 120s  4-P
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
Sign In or Register to comment.