Putter for fast, grainy greens

jh19jh19 Members Posts: 2,030 ✭✭

New home course, new greens, new putting woes! Any suggestions for a putter for some slick bermuda greens? I'm currently using a TP Mills Klassic, after I was frustrated with my PXG Brandon. Had great success with my Brandon on my old greens.

Worst I've ever putted in my career, need some help! I'm thinking something counterbalanced?

Sub Zero 9.5* AD BB
PXG 0341 15* AD MJ
PXG 0317 19* Altus
710 AP2 4-PW C-taper
SM6 Copper 54*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Rat

Comments

  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭

    Whatever you putt with on slow greens just hit it softer.

  • Twin2LTwin2L Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

    It may be worth a try with the heavy weights in the Brandon. This may smooth out your swing for the fast greens and loft of that putter should work well with the Bermuda greens. Good luck.

    It matters not what others call you. Only what you answer to defines who you are.
  • bluedotbluedot Members Posts: 3,383 ✭✭

    Putting on slick bermuda greens is just very, very difficult, and probably not about which putter you use. Downhill, down grain putts can get away from you so easily, and the speed difference coming back into the grain can be really frustrating. I've found that the difference from one set of bermuda greens to another can be huge; some places grain is a huge deal, other places it barely matters. If you've been playing on bent grass greens, putting on slick bermuda is just a much different thing, and there are putts on which you have to be VERY defensive. The irony is that if the greens are slower, typically the grain becomes much more influential on what happens to the putt as it slows down.
    That's not a good answer for what you are asking, I know. But I just think it's a different type of putting, no matter what putter you use. I've never been a fan of the idea of heavier vs. lighter putters according to green speeds anyway; it takes away from feel.

  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,393 ✭✭

    get yourself a milled mallet - with low or virtually no milling.

    due to the shape - it makes the putter 'feel' softer; even if the milling is flat/smooth and the head has enough MOI to keep it relatively stable thru impact. i've always putted better on grainy greens with mallets - so, this is based on personal experience. YRMV

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* / DRIVER SHAFT TBD
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    SC Kombi-s / 35.5"

  • jh19jh19 Members Posts: 2,030 ✭✭

    Funny, I was talking to my golf buddies and told them I was going to get a counter balanced mallet next! Makes the most sense to me.

    I've been putting on bent, so I need to start paying more attention to the grain, still not use to that yet.

    Sub Zero 9.5* AD BB
    PXG 0341 15* AD MJ
    PXG 0317 19* Altus
    710 AP2 4-PW C-taper
    SM6 Copper 54*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Rat
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,761 ✭✭

    @BiggErn said:
    Whatever you putt with on slow greens just hit it softer.

    Here's your answer

    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

    The feedback system is annoying
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,801 ✭✭
    edited Apr 24, 2019 2:44pm #8

    There is a certain element of how each putter rolls the ball. Grainy Bermuda can absolutely take the ball off line. And some putters will put a better roll on the ball , whether through face tech or just a better loft fit. Going from bent to Bermuda isn’t as simple as “ hit it softer”. Hit it softer uphill and you’ve got 12 feet left for par. Breathe on it coming downhill and it’s 12 ft coming back for par. I know that and still haven’t mastered those **** greens. Not even close. I’ve read and heard many bogey golfers say “ that type green isn’t that hard “. Sure. I can 3 putt them too. But if you’re talking making 1 putts it’s a whole different ballgame.

    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭

    @bladehunter said:
    There is a certain element of how each putter rolls the ball. Grainy Bermuda can absolutely take the ball off line. And some putters will put a better roll on the ball , whether through face tech or just a better loft fit. Going from bent to Bermuda isn’t as simple as “ hit it softer”. Hit it softer uphill and you’ve got 12 feet left for par. Breathe on it coming downhill and it’s 12 ft coming back for par. I know that and still haven’t mastered those **** greens. Not even close. I’ve read and heard many bogey golfers say “ that type green isn’t that hard “. Sure. I can 3 putt them too. But if you’re talking making 1 putts it’s a whole different ballgame.

    He said fast greens not uphill putts. We live in the same area and there’s not many if any bent greens left that I can think of. However there’s plenty courses with some sort of Bermuda or the growing in popularity diamond zoysia. I much prefer Bermuda and the grainier the better but use the same putter for both.

  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,801 ✭✭
    edited Apr 24, 2019 3:36pm #10

    How many 1 putts do you have a round ? Say at village. That’s the greens he’s talking about. Part of the issue is the grain into and away. Sometimes a putter that moves the ball farther with less stroke works better. You have to put less hit into it to hold the line. Curious. What putter do yo use ?

    Zoysia is by far the worst putting surface to learn speed on ice ever seen. I hate links o tryon and river falls for that very reason. Like putting on Velcro with a Velcro ball.

    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭

    @bladehunter said:
    How many 1 putts do you have a round ? Say at village. That’s the greens he’s talking about. Part of the issue is the grain into and away. As in speed.

    That’s a hard stat to track and I think it matters if it’s to save par or for birdie or better. Those greens are some of the grainiest at their peak but like other courses they can be faster when they’re dormant (same with zoysia). I have however played village in the summer with the greens in optimum condition and fast. The front right hole position on hole 1 can make it easily possible to putt a short putt off the green and it’s not a super severe slope. Of course when Bermuda greens are super fast I don’t think grain matters as much as when they’re at an average speed in which case you know shiny is down grain and dull is into. After that it just takes practice to allow for the dying break or a little more run out.

  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,801 ✭✭

    @BiggErn said:

    @bladehunter said:
    How many 1 putts do you have a round ? Say at village. That’s the greens he’s talking about. Part of the issue is the grain into and away. As in speed.

    That’s a hard stat to track and I think it matters if it’s to save par or for birdie or better. Those greens are some of the grainiest at their peak but like other courses they can be faster when they’re dormant (same with zoysia). I have however played village in the summer with the greens in optimum condition and fast. The front right hole position on hole 1 can make it easily possible to putt a short putt off the green and it’s not a super severe slope. Of course when Bermuda greens are super fast I don’t think grain matters as much as when they’re at an average speed in which case you know shiny is down grain and dull is into. After that it just takes practice to allow for the dying break or a little more run out.

    All true. It’s such a multi faceted deal. And like you said. Those greens change with moisture, temp, and time of year about 12 different versions. Wasn’t really trying to argue. I just share the OPs frustration.

    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Downtown_Brown_41Downtown_Brown_41 Members Posts: 579 ✭✭

    The best thing for Bermuda is to just practice until you get the hang of it. I see lines better and make more putts on Bermuda then I do bent but I’ve also putted on Bermuda most of my 4-5 yrs of playing.

    M3 8.5* Fuji Pro TS 63
    Nike VR Pro Ltd 15* Fuji Saphire 
    M1 5w Fuji Pro 95
    P790 3 Aldila RIP 105
    P750 4-5 Modus 130
    P730 6-P Modus 130
    Milled Grind 52 s400
    Vokey Low Bounce K 60 s400
    Piretti Cortino- 36” 
    O works Arm Lock-46”
    Tour Bx / Pro v1X
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭

    @bladehunter said:

    @BiggErn said:

    @bladehunter said:
    How many 1 putts do you have a round ? Say at village. That’s the greens he’s talking about. Part of the issue is the grain into and away. As in speed.

    That’s a hard stat to track and I think it matters if it’s to save par or for birdie or better. Those greens are some of the grainiest at their peak but like other courses they can be faster when they’re dormant (same with zoysia). I have however played village in the summer with the greens in optimum condition and fast. The front right hole position on hole 1 can make it easily possible to putt a short putt off the green and it’s not a super severe slope. Of course when Bermuda greens are super fast I don’t think grain matters as much as when they’re at an average speed in which case you know shiny is down grain and dull is into. After that it just takes practice to allow for the dying break or a little more run out.

    All true. It’s such a multi faceted deal. And like you said. Those greens change with moisture, temp, and time of year about 12 different versions. Wasn’t really trying to argue. I just share the OPs frustration.

    I get it I just don’t think a certain putter matters.

  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,718 ✭✭

    Not sure I can relate to all of the details above, but generally speaking I've found greater success with very light putters on faster greens. Specifically early model PING manganese bronze putters, probably in the 315 gram head weight range, if that.

    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist SM6 52.08F, 58.08M
    TaylorMade TP Soto



  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,243 ✭✭

    Your new to the course, how about some practice and getting used to them?
    Im a ho like the next guy but come on lol

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • jh19jh19 Members Posts: 2,030 ✭✭

    Well, I've been there about a year now, so something should have clicked by now! LOL

    Update, broke down and bought an arm lock, shot 69 with 26 putts, very pleased. Greens were slow, so really struggled with the speed, thinking once they get quick, I should have some success!

    Sub Zero 9.5* AD BB
    PXG 0341 15* AD MJ
    PXG 0317 19* Altus
    710 AP2 4-PW C-taper
    SM6 Copper 54*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Rat
  • LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,256 ✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 11:54pm #18

    Putter for fast grainy greens..... I think I'd go with Ben Crenshaw.

    But seriously, grain is all about reading the grain, which I can't help you with because I $uck at it, badly so. However, I do have a suggestion for the speed issue, if you haven't tried this. When the greens, or a specific downhiller is really fast, I hit the putt out on the toe. This softens the impact and allows a longer, more affirmative "stroke" through impact which I find helps get the ball rolling on line.
    I apologize if this is so elementary that it shouldn't have even been brought up, but I often forget to do it. When I remember, it helps quite a bit.
    Best of luck.
    (I hate grain)

    FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • jpdxjpdx Members Posts: 1,601 ✭✭
    edited Apr 26, 2019 12:13am #19

    i like going with lighter putter for faster greens and heavier putters for slower ones in general. i'm not a very good putter (1.8 per hole and 1.9 putts with GIR last 5 rounds) anyway so I'm not sure it really matters, but in my head it's something about the mass x acceleration formula...

    Srixon z785 hzrdus black 6.5
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
    Nike
    Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
    Nike
    Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
    Nike Method Matter m4-12
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

    b-team/travel bag
    Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
    Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
    Nike Method Origin b2-01
    Cure CX-2
    Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,243 ✭✭

    I find that I modify my stroke a tad on faster greens, I seem to get a touch more "pop strokey" on faster greens

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • OutBackHackOutBackHack Members Posts: 910 ✭✭

    @Lodestone said:
    Putter for fast grainy greens..... I think I'd go with Ben Crenshaw.

    But seriously, grain is all about reading the grain, which I can't help you with because I $uck at it, badly so. However, I do have a suggestion for the speed issue, if you haven't tried this. When the greens, or a specific downhiller is really fast, I hit the putt out on the toe. This softens the impact and allows a longer, more affirmative "stroke" through impact which I find helps get the ball rolling on line.
    I apologize if this is so elementary that it shouldn't have even been brought up, but I often forget to do it. When I remember, it helps quite a bit.
    Best of luck.
    (I hate grain)

    There's nothing elementary about your advice. It's a good technique that works.
    However, if anyone is good enough to hit a putt out of toe and keep it online they are good enough to realize they don't need to change the putter they are using just because they're on Bermuda grass.

  • LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,256 ✭✭

    @PixlPutterman said:
    I find that I modify my stroke a tad on faster greens, I seem to get a touch more "pop strokey" on faster greens

    interesting..I'm just the opposite.

    FORE RIGHT!!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.