Make the President's Cup more interesting

Nachosgrande ·  
NachosgrandeNachosgrande  259WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 259 Bunkers

Would the President's Cup be more interesting if it was Europe vs. USA vs. International? If not, what would take this event to the next level?

Posted:

Comments

• BankerBanker The Swamp 1129WRX Points: 163Handicap: 4Members Posts: 1,129 Platinum Tees

Poof

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Phenom 60x
    G410 3 wood Accra t70x
    G410 19* hybrid KBS Hybrid Proto 95x
    G410 4-PW KBS 120 Tour
    Glide 2.0 54* ES
    Glide 2.0 58* ES
    Taylormade Spider Tour
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • RangeballzRangeballz  1805WRX Points: 292Members Posts: 1,805 Platinum Tees

What level do you want to take it too? What's the matter with it now? It's the only men's team competition the US can win.

Posted:
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG  2377WRX Points: 664Members Posts: 2,377 Platinum Tees

I think having a round robin format including Europe would be better. Have 8 players per team.

Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • gvogelgvogel  8099WRX Points: 1,087Members Posts: 8,099 Titanium Tees

On -, @BrianMcG said:

I think having a round robin format including Europe would be better. Have 8 players per team.

Wrap this into the Ryder Cup. The winner plays the team that sat out after losing two years prior.

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • widow-makerwidow-maker  1674WRX Points: 238Handicap: 2.7Members Posts: 1,674 Platinum Tees

The President's Cup will be better when the International side improves it's play. Remember the Euro's used to get clubbed on a bi-yearly basis in the Ryder Cup until they improved their quality of golf. China, Japan, and S Korea will continue to improve and eventually the strength of the International team will rise and the competition will be closer. It doesn't need to be the Ryder Cup. It's probably better that it isn't. It just needs to evolve and it will.

Posted:
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy...  13138WRX Points: 1,001Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 13,138 Titanium Tees

Why don't we just cancel the Presidents Cup, nobody really cares...
    Edit: a part from Daniel berger, he loves crushing internationals...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker  4822WRX Points: 760ClubWRX Posts: 4,822 ClubWRX

If there is a round robin with Europe then why is the Ryder Cup needed?

Posted:
    EAMUS CATULI! AC020303
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2511WRX Points: 864Members Posts: 2,511 Titanium Tees

I don’t think it needs to change and adding Europe into the mix takes away from what the event is supposed to be. It’s simple imo though, make the presidents cup similar to the lpga international crown format.

Posted:
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan  10308WRX Points: 562Handicap: 12Members Posts: 10,308 Titanium Tees

On -, @RobotDoctor said:

careful there .... you'll strike a nerve with imak

Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P stnd. cord
    Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20457WRX Points: 4,367ClubWRX Posts: 20,457 ClubWRX

LOL, nobody is doing anything to devalue the Ryder Cup.

President's Cup is and always will be Ryder Cup wannabe - it doesn't have a "next level" and really doesn't "need" to have one.

Posted:
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down.  1914WRX Points: 706Members Posts: 1,914 Platinum Tees

South Africa and Australia used to turn out some strong players. Everything ebbs and flows.

It's a golf exhibition. Enjoy it for what it is.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct  28312WRX Points: 4,720Members Posts: 28,312 Titanium Tees

Make it a pro-am and pair each golfer with an athlete/celeb from their country.

Like,
    Tiger Woods/Michael Jordan vs. Si Woo Kim/The Gangam Style guy

DJ/Bill Murray vs. Marc Leishman/Harry Potter

Ratings bonanza.

Posted:
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG  2377WRX Points: 664Members Posts: 2,377 Platinum Tees

On -, @RobotDoctor said:

Because the Ryder Cup is the Ryder Cup. The Presidents Cup needs to be something else. USA playing against a JV squad just isn't that compelling.

Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • cdnglfcdnglf  3570WRX Points: 977Members Posts: 3,570 Titanium Tees

On -, @bscinstnct said:

Like,

Ratings bonanza.

A lot of people would be interested in seeing Godzilla eat Patrick Reed.

Posted:
  • cdnglfcdnglf  3570WRX Points: 977Members Posts: 3,570 Titanium Tees

On -, @bscinstnct said:

Like,

Ratings bonanza.

Kuchar/Scrooge McDuck vs Matsuyama/Hello Kitty

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2511WRX Points: 864Members Posts: 2,511 Titanium Tees

On -, @BrianMcG said:

On -, @RobotDoctor said:

Because the Ryder Cup is the Ryder Cup. The Presidents Cup needs to be something else. USA playing against a JV squad just isn't that compelling.

If Europe is going to be involved in both why would there be a need for both events?

Those who aren’t interested in watching don’t have to.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome  1006WRX Points: 301Handicap: 5Members Posts: 1,006 Platinum Tees

If the Internationals can't beat the U.S. what would be the point of matching them against Europe?

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25293WRX Points: 2,358Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,293 ClubWRX

Make half the team LPGA players and a mixed event.

Posted:
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better  5093WRX Points: 197Handicap: ???Members Posts: 5,093 Titanium Tees

Just do something similar to the CIMB Crown. Id say that you have top 3 players from each country qualify. Top 7 countries and then a top 3 rookies team from countries who didnt qualify. Do a group play where you play singles, alt shot, best ball over 3 days, where everyone has to play at least one singles and one doubles. Then do a one day semifinal and final. 18 holes match play best of 3

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)
    LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)
    S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)
    Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter  5882WRX Points: 2,672Handicap: 10.8Members Posts: 5,882 Titanium Tees

Winning team gets to continue to live in Florida, losing team has to move somewhere else.

Posted:
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan  4183WRX Points: 1,330Members Posts: 4,183 Titanium Tees

Hold the event at a Trump course and rig the event to have Abraham Ancer win the final point to win the Cup. That’s going to create some buzz.

Posted:
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.

Advertisement
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter  5882WRX Points: 2,672Handicap: 10.8Members Posts: 5,882 Titanium Tees

If you're wondering what the current standings look like

Posted:
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462  5341WRX Points: 200Handicap: ?Members Posts: 5,341 Titanium Tees

The Internationals could always bring back Jumbo Ozaki....

Posted:
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13324WRX Points: 2,194Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,324 Titanium Tees

Use different formats in the matches
    Chapman 2 ball? A drives. B drives. A hits his approach from B's drive and vice versa. Alternate in from best position after 2 shots
    Modified alternate shot (Scotch)? Go to best tee ball and alternate in.
    4 formats vs 2 in team play
    The Zurich should consider the same

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • MalvernMalvern  544WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Members Posts: 544 Golden Tee

On -, @DavePelz4 said:

Make half the team LPGA players and a mixed event.

We had a combined European/LPGA event out here (Aust.) recently, all reports was it was a great success and enjoyed by the players.
    If the Internationals don't win this time at Royal Melbourne its time to tweak the format. I would go with what DP4 suggested, think it would go well.
    I have lost interest in the other one and with only Leish having significant sand belt experience, I think another severe beating is on the cards unless Tiger decides to play himself and Phil.

Posted:
  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever In a big country, dreams stay with you PA 417WRX Points: 350Members Posts: 417 Greens

On -, @Nachosgrande said:

... what would take this event to the next level?

Two words: The Octagon

Alternatively, bare naked (lady) caddies

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MalvernMalvern  544WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Members Posts: 544 Golden Tee

On -, @Darth Putter said:

Winning team gets to continue to live in Florida, losing team has to move somewhere else.

That might makes things interesting, trying to determine which Internationals are just no good and which ones are throwing their games so they don't have to live in Florida. I would be the latter.

Posted:
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker  4822WRX Points: 760ClubWRX Posts: 4,822 ClubWRX

On -, @BrianMcG said:

On -, @RobotDoctor said:

My question was rhetorical laced with some sarcasm. The idea to devaluation the Ryder Cup is, IMO, ridiculous.

Posted:
    EAMUS CATULI! AC020303

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.