Down on Bettinardi

tsecortsecor Loading........Members Posts: 4,124 ✭✭

The other day I contacted the Hive to place an order for a custom putter. After doing all types of research on what putter to buy, I settled on Bettinardi. Obviously we all know the these putters are amazing. BUT when I received my email back from the Hive, they said they were focused on a social event and I could get on a waiting list and it wouldn't be until mid June before they could take any order. I have agonized over spending this kind of cash for a putter but they are beautiful and I wanted a collector / gamer and a piece I could be proud of 20 years from now. I was finally ready to spend at least 2,000 on this thing and was told I had to wait. I am a little disappointed and now am retreating from spending this type of money on a company with questionable customer service. I'm not sure how to feel about this. Is it bad service? is it better that I wait? I guess I'm just shocked at this point. Should I go with another company? if so who?

Comments

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,412 ✭✭
    edited Apr 24, 2019 12:06pm #2

@tsecor said:
    The other day I contacted the Hive to place an order for a custom putter. After doing all types of research on what putter to buy, I settled on Bettinardi. Obviously we all know the these putters are amazing. BUT when I received my email back from the Hive, they said they were focused on a social event and I could get on a waiting list and it wouldn't be until mid June before they could take any order. I have agonized over spending this kind of cash for a putter but they are beautiful and I wanted a collector / gamer and a piece I could be proud of 20 years from now. I was finally ready to spend at least 2,000 on this thing and was told I had to wait. I am a little disappointed and now am retreating from spending this type of money on a company with questionable customer service. I'm not sure how to feel about this. Is it bad service? is it better that I wait? I guess I'm just shocked at this point. Should I go with another company? if so who?

as a Bettinardi customer myself -- i can tell you whole heartedly it's worth the wait; IMO. to be honest - you are putting your order in at their busiest part of the season for them -- their summer socials are AWESOME to go to - and they're always building things/putters in advance of that. Not to mention - they have major releases -- and they're all jammed up this year.

have patience - juice is worth the squeeze.

think of it this way -- you could wait (forever?) for a custom lamb, forget scotties, and the lajosi/mills/mann/etc routes are available but, for a custom fit and finish putter -- they're hard to beat for the price. only one i'd suggest otherwise is piretti as well.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* / DRIVER SHAFT TBD
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,124 ✭✭

Thanks Gio. I know they are a high quality company and I'm sure its worth the wait. I'm not tearing up the company, just expressing my disappointment in having to wait....mainly because I will not be able to use it for more than a few rounds once the summer is over...> @gioguy21 said:

@tsecor said:

as a Bettinardi customer myself -- i can tell you whole heartedly it's worth the wait; IMO. to be honest - you are putting your order in at their busiest part of the season for them -- their summer socials are AWESOME to go to - and they're always building things/putters in advance of that. Not to mention - they have major releases -- and they're all jammed up this year.

have patience - juice is worth the squeeze.

think of it this way -- you could wait (forever?) for a custom lamb, forget scotties, and the lajosi/mills/mann/etc routes are available but, for a custom fit and finish putter -- they're hard to beat for the price. only one i'd suggest otherwise is piretti as well.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,412 ✭✭

completely understand man - and i'm sure once they get your order you will surely be taken care of. their customer service really is top notch - give them the benefit of the doubt as they're probably cranked up to get stuff out for the social (it's a big deal for betti to be a part of one - i'm upset i couldn't go to the one i was invited to)

Epic Flash SZ / 9* / DRIVER SHAFT TBD
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,673 ✭✭

On the flipside all the guys excited for the Social would be down if the putters for the event couldn't get finished because they had to design/CAD and run the mill for an inserted custom 😉

totally understandable...and that is more important than 1 customer :) . > @xxio said:

On the flipside all the guys excited for the Social would be down if the putters for the event couldn't get finished because they had to design/CAD and run the mill for an inserted custom 😉

• IshIsh Members Posts: 327 ✭✭

It’s better that they were honest and up front with you. I’m sure you would have been more upset if they took your order/money and later told you your putter is on the back burner for other projects they are trying to complete.

910D2
    917F2
    913H
    '16 JPX EZ Forged
    T7 54/58
    Bettinardi SS3 DASS BEE KOOL
    Snell MTB Black

Nese mund te lexoni kete, me dergoni nje mezazh.
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,380 ✭✭

@Ish said:
    It’s better that they were honest and up front with you. I’m sure you would have been more upset if they took your order/money and later told you your putter is on the back burner for other projects they are trying to complete.

This is a great point ... They could have banked your order, and just kept quiet about the delays. Actually, pretty awesome customer service if you ask me.

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • mmowen01mmowen01 MichiganMembers Posts: 293 ✭✭

Bettinardi’s response would even push me harder to be patient and get my putter made when they can.

• MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,373 ✭✭

I’m sure a custom Bettinardi would be awesome and worth the wait. But with that said, there are many options from the smaller yet legendary guys like Byron, Moore and Mills (even if it’s his son now) to name a few, that could make you something of very high quality as well, with a lot shorter waiting time. But you have to follow your heart on this one and go with what feels the most exciting for you.

• Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,683 ✭✭

What about Machine?
    B)

Cobra F9 - Atmos TS Black 6x
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    718 TMB 19* - DG AMT White s300
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,836 ✭✭

I'm a fan of my custom Piretti
    Up front about the delay.. .that's a good thing

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Members Posts: 1,200 ✭✭

Artisan?

lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • FlashinLeatherFlashinLeather Members Posts: 82 ✭✭

Just wait it out. If this is something you want to have for 20 years and its the exact putter that you want then waiting a few months should not be a big deal.

Ping G400 LST 10 - Ping Tour X
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB - 2i - X100
    TaylorMade P790 - 4i-AW - X100
    Vokey - 54, 58
    Bettinardi - QB6
    Titleist Pro V1
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭

They are worth the wait. Ask for Mike Biviano and he’s the guy that takes care of the HIVE. He fitted me and got me what I needed for my 40th birthday. I still keep in touch with him and reach out when needed. It’s possible that they are just busy since golf season has started up.

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 326 ✭✭

I emailed them last week about a custom and got the same email from Mike. I'm not going to go through with it due to price at the moment but I'm glad they informed me about their hold on making customs. I think it's better that their customers know of a planned delay/shut down vs them not saying anything, people waiting and getting angry.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer

very true. I appreciate the honesty. Just disappointed and a bit shocked they cannot handle both the social event and custom orders at once. I guess its good they are a smaller shop in that regard as more attention would be paid to the order itself> @Ish said:

• toophewbirdiestoophewbirdies Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭

Lajosi, MannKrafted and Mills would be my go to makers of "rock rollers". Not necessarily in that order. These gentlemen can make anything, you would want your putter to be. Lajosi's damascus is insane and made in house!

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 326 ✭✭

@toophewbirdies said:
    Lajosi, MannKrafted and Mills would be my go to makers of "rock rollers". Not necessarily in that order. These gentlemen can make anything, you would want your putter to be. Lajosi's damascus is insane and made in house!

Now when you say Lajosi makes his own damascus in house are you saying he forge welds the damascus vs buying a block from a supplier?

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • toophewbirdiestoophewbirdies Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭

I believe that is the case. If I'm mistaken, someone more knowledgable will correct me. ;)

• tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 730 ✭✭
    edited Apr 26, 2019 1:09am #21

If you want a putter you can be proud of 20 years from now then you can handle waiting a few more months to get it.

I've been to Bettinardi's locale in Tinley Park and inside their vault where all their Tour putters sit. The quality is top notch and the people are nice. It's a very, very small shop, and the machining in the back isn't used just for putters too. They aren't the kind of place churning out 100 putters a day. It takes time, but they are cool putters that you'd be proud to game.

I will say though, I have bought a tour putter from them as well, and their communication isn't always the best. Not rude, just sort of lackluster lol.

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer