How to rust a wedge?

tigerjr ·  
tigerjrtigerjr  42WRX Points: 62Members Posts: 42 Bunkers

Back in the day we poured coca cola for rust on a wedge. Anyone have any new or better techniques to get a oil can wedge to rust faster ??

Posted:

Comments

• BiggErnBiggErn  2735WRX Points: 622Members Posts: 2,735 Titanium Tees

Wrap it in a wet paper towel and sit it outside

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BrandonDunesBrandonDunes  448WRX Points: 137Members Posts: 448 Greens

I don't know if this works but I have a wedge that has rusted very nicely. I keep it in the backyard to chip with and dip it in the pool sometimes to gets balls out. So I don't know if its the chlorine from the pool or just the sun that does it.

Posted:
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones  10308WRX Points: 1,439Members Posts: 10,308 Titanium Tees

On -, @tigerjr said:

Back in the day we poured coca cola for rust on a wedge. Anyone have any new or better techniques to get a oil can wedge to rust faster ??

Coke can be used to remove rust or a oil can finnish, not to create rust, and i never understood those who want rusty clubs but each to their own.
    Raw carbon steel will rust as soon as it is in humid air, and if you want a faster rust process, dip it in salt-acid and let it stay outdoor for a night.

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• PaintmanPaintman  74WRX Points: 40Handicap: 15Members Posts: 74 Bunkers

As a painting contractor sometimes we have to rust various metals for decorative purposes. If I was in the business of making rusty golf clubs quickly, use a mild solution of muriatic acid and copper. Vinegar works a little slower.
    A Google search on 'how to create rust on metal with chemicals' will explain various formulations. Please ignore any information about rusting galvanized metal. That is a completely different animal than what you are doing. Good luck with your project.

Posted:
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8088WRX Points: 1,343Handicap: +1.6 (1194646)Members Posts: 8,088 Titanium Tees

i've made a solution of hydrogen peroxide, salt and white vinegar. it happens in SECONDS...just remember do a few coats, let it dry completely and then give it a light wash to get the rust residue off. afterwards - if you want, put some baby oil on them and it'll get less residue on your bag, other clubs, etc.

Posted:

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• PaintmanPaintman  74WRX Points: 40Handicap: 15Members Posts: 74 Bunkers

Nice work !

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJ 8088WRX Points: 1,343Handicap: +1.6 (1194646)Members Posts: 8,088 Titanium Tees

On -, @Paintman said:

Nice work !

Thanks!

Posted:

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker  2437WRX Points: 492Handicap: 3Members Posts: 2,437 Platinum Tees

Little vinegar, salt and hydrogen peroxide will really speed things along, especially if you warm the solution.
    The peroxide is the active ingedient in the rusting process.

Posted:

Titleist 915D2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 70X 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, Matrix 8Q3-X 41.5"
    Ping OG Rapture 2-U, DG XP - R300
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

B330-RX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.