How to rust a wedge?

tigerjrtigerjr Members Posts: 34 ✭✭

Back in the day we poured coca cola for rust on a wedge. Anyone have any new or better techniques to get a oil can wedge to rust faster ??

Comments

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,283 ✭✭

Wrap it in a wet paper towel and sit it outside

• BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 334 ✭✭

I don't know if this works but I have a wedge that has rusted very nicely. I keep it in the backyard to chip with and dip it in the pool sometimes to gets balls out. So I don't know if its the chlorine from the pool or just the sun that does it.

Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-PW
    GW - Callaway MD3 (S-48º)
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball
  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 8,534 ✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 6:16am #4

@tigerjr said:
    Back in the day we poured coca cola for rust on a wedge. Anyone have any new or better techniques to get a oil can wedge to rust faster ??

Coke can be used to remove rust or a oil can finnish, not to create rust, and i never understood those who want rusty clubs but each to their own.
    Raw carbon steel will rust as soon as it is in humid air, and if you want a faster rust process, dip it in salt-acid and let it stay outdoor for a night.

• PaintmanPaintman Members Posts: 56 ✭✭

As a painting contractor sometimes we have to rust various metals for decorative purposes. If I was in the business of making rusty golf clubs quickly, use a mild solution of muriatic acid and copper. Vinegar works a little slower.
    A Google search on 'how to create rust on metal with chemicals' will explain various formulations. Please ignore any information about rusting galvanized metal. That is a completely different animal than what you are doing. Good luck with your project.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,393 ✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 2:48pm #6

i've made a solution of hydrogen peroxide, salt and white vinegar. it happens in SECONDS...just remember do a few coats, let it dry completely and then give it a light wash to get the rust residue off. afterwards - if you want, put some baby oil on them and it'll get less residue on your bag, other clubs, etc.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* / DRIVER SHAFT TBD
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    SC Kombi-s / 35.5"

• PaintmanPaintman Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,393 ✭✭

@Paintman said:
    Nice work !

Thanks!

Epic Flash SZ / 9* / DRIVER SHAFT TBD
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    SC Kombi-s / 35.5"

• A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,150 ✭✭
    edited Apr 26, 2019 2:21am #9

Little vinegar, salt and hydrogen peroxide will really speed things along, especially if you warm the solution.
    The peroxide is the active ingedient in the rusting process.

'16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)