Help me pick a new 5 wood shaft

Isaac_NewtonIsaac_Newton Lefty Boomers Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone. Just bought a new Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood with Evenflow 55 6.0. I think I need a new shaft. I love the good shots but the misses are all duck hooks. I feel like about half the shots are misses. I think the shaft is too light and too soft for me and I would benefit from at least a heavier shaft, if not stiffer too.

My driver SS is 103-105 and I play the stock Hzardous found in the 2017 Epic. No issues with this club. Irons are 714 AP2s with PX 6.0. No issues with the irons. With drivers, I typically do better with higher torque shafts.

I know this isn't all information required but it's what I have. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Comments

  • GehlyGehly ClubWRX Posts: 2,027 ClubWRX

    I would try the HZRDUS Black in 63g and 6.0 to start. it's going to have a much stiffer profile/tip section then the EF in same flex and be heavier (also low balance point so easy to feel the head through swing if you like higher torque

  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    if you're using a PX 6.0 in your irons -- it appears to me that higher torque shafts in your driver should in theory be OPPOSITE of what you might need.

    If i were fitting you i'd be trying you in a hzrdus yellow 75, 6.0 for your 5w.

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 1:26pm #4

    Agree that you probably need a heavier shaft, the 55 is likely just too light for a 5wd. Most likely need to play something in the mid 70's to mid 80's gm range.

    Do you have a 3wd? if so are you happy with the shaft and what shaft is in it? That's probably the best place to start the search. Or if this 5wd is new, what was in the club it replaced?

  • Isaac_NewtonIsaac_Newton Lefty Boomers Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

    @Stuart_G said:
    Agree that you probably need a heavier shaft, the 55 is likely just too light for a 5wd. Most likely need to play something in the mid 70's to mid 80's gm range.

    Do you have a 3wd? if so are you happy with the shaft and what shaft is in it? That's probably the best place to start the search. Or if this 5wd is new, what was in the club it replaced?

    Thank you for the feedback. It is replacing a TM SLDR 3 hybrid with an 82g Speeder shaft.

  • Isaac_NewtonIsaac_Newton Lefty Boomers Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

    @gioguy21 said:
    if you're using a PX 6.0 in your irons -- it appears to me that higher torque shafts in your driver should in theory be OPPOSITE of what you might need.

    If i were fitting you i'd be trying you in a hzrdus yellow 75, 6.0 for your 5w.

    I don't disagree with your first statement. For some reason higher torque driver shafts and I just get along.

    Thanks for the recommendation.

  • Isaac_NewtonIsaac_Newton Lefty Boomers Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

    @Gehly said:
    I would try the HZRDUS Black in 63g and 6.0 to start. it's going to have a much stiffer profile/tip section then the EF in same flex and be heavier (also low balance point so easy to feel the head through swing if you like higher torque

    Thanks for the recommendation.

  • hendog39hendog39 Members Posts: 110 ✭✭

    I’m in love with hzrdus yellow 85 6.0 in my rogue 5 wood.

  • GehlyGehly ClubWRX Posts: 2,027 ClubWRX

    The black (or yellow if want counter-balanced) would work and can go to 75g which is pretty std. for FW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file