Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

**** Ball Test - General Discussion

Comments

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@lopey986 said:
    It's funny that the url for this discussion says **** but the actually title has the site name asterisks out like it's in the swear filter, lmao.

hah, blurs the site name out in my comment too, now that's some funny ****.

Yeah, I noticed that same thing... I think it's cause this post is listed on the sub-forum and it doesn't filter it out... I believe there is some bad blood between the founders here and the founders there... A great schism of sorts... Don't know, don't really care... I'm here mainly for the community and I go there for their articles... I don't treat them as gospel and I don't click on their links (I do try to support the sponsors here... Hello Precision Pro!)

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 27, 2019 10:46pm #33

@c50sooner said:
    Interesting curve, thanks for posting. Not sure what kind of sample set that is showing, but my statement was based on all the guys in my golf league with way higher swing speed than me, that shoot way worse scores. I'm sure this is a common scenario, given that all you need to be able to swing a club fast is some strength/size and a reasonable amount of athleticism. Actual golf skill not required at all.

Here is an abstract from some research:

How well does club head speed correlate with golf handicaps?
    Fradkin AJ1, Sherman CA, Finch CF.
    Author information
    Abstract
    The velocity at which a golf club impacts with a golf ball is known as club head speed. Although club head speed has been used to measure performance changes in a number of golf studies, it has not been validated as a golf performance measure. As handicap is the usual measure of performance, the purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between club head speed and handicap, and to determine whether club head speed at impact is a valid measure of golfing performance. Forty-five male golfers aged 18-80 years, all with registered golfing handicaps (2-27), participated in this study. Each golfer performed 10 golf swings captured by a high-speed camera. Golfers' club head speeds were determined using Video Expert 2, a biomechanical computer program. Golfers with a lower handicap (i.e., a better skill level) had faster club head speeds than higher handicap golfers. Linear regression analysis found club head speed to be highly correlated with handicap (r = 0.950). This relationship was described by the equation: In (club head speed)= 4.065 - 0.0214 x handicap. In conclusion, this study has shown that club head speed is a valid indicator of performance in golfers and may therefore be a useful performance measure in future laboratory-based studies.

Also, I have read the 2018 Golf Synopsis by Richie Hunt and he did a study in 2013 that gave very similar results to the above. A 0.950 correlation suggests the opposite of what you mentioned. Richie Hunt explains why this direct relationship exists and it makes a lot of sense. Guys who hit it 300 yds will hit it closer to the pin versus guys who hit 260, 220, 180, etc. Statistics show most birdies are from inside 20 feet. If you drive it 330 on a 400 yd hole odds are you will have a lot of birdie chances. If you have greater than 180 into those same holes all day you will have almost no chances.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@trackcoach13 said:

@c50sooner said:
    Interesting curve, thanks for posting. Not sure what kind of sample set that is showing, but my statement was based on all the guys in my golf league with way higher swing speed than me, that shoot way worse scores. I'm sure this is a common scenario, given that all you need to be able to swing a club fast is some strength/size and a reasonable amount of athleticism. Actual golf skill not required at all.

Here is an abstract from some research:

How well does club head speed correlate with golf handicaps?
    Fradkin AJ1, Sherman CA, Finch CF.
    Author information
    Abstract
    The velocity at which a golf club impacts with a golf ball is known as club head speed. Although club head speed has been used to measure performance changes in a number of golf studies, it has not been validated as a golf performance measure. As handicap is the usual measure of performance, the purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between club head speed and handicap, and to determine whether club head speed at impact is a valid measure of golfing performance. Forty-five male golfers aged 18-80 years, all with registered golfing handicaps (2-27), participated in this study. Each golfer performed 10 golf swings captured by a high-speed camera. Golfers' club head speeds were determined using Video Expert 2, a biomechanical computer program. Golfers with a lower handicap (i.e., a better skill level) had faster club head speeds than higher handicap golfers. Linear regression analysis found club head speed to be highly correlated with handicap (r = 0.950). This relationship was described by the equation: In (club head speed)= 4.065 - 0.0214 x handicap. In conclusion, this study has shown that club head speed is a valid indicator of performance in golfers and may therefore be a useful performance measure in future laboratory-based studies.

Also, I have read the 2018 Golf Synopsis by Richie Hunt and he did a study in 2013 that gave very similar results to the above. A 0.950 correlation suggests the opposite of what you mentioned. Richie Hunt explains why this direct relationship exists and it makes a lot of sense. Guys who hit it 300 yds will hit it closer to the pin versus guys who hit 260, 220, 180, etc. Statistics show most birdies are from inside 20 feet. If you drive it 330 on a 400 yd hole odds are you will have a lot of birdie chances. If you have greater than 180 into those same holes all day you will have almost no chances.

It makes sense for sure... a big hitting **** golfer is going to be better than a short hitting **** golfer just based on proximity... there is also the simple fact that you can only score so well without a certain amount of distance.

• c50soonerc50sooner Members Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

trackcoach, certainly agree it would correlate if you hold skill level relatively constant. If you let skill level vary wildly, the correlation between clubhead speed and handicap will vary wildly as well. For example, go to any college baseball team and measure all their clubhead speeds. You'll probably find a few low handicaps, however almost the whole team will have top percentile clubhead speeds, and their handicaps will be all over the map.

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Aldila NK2V Green SCallaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi RCallaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black SSrixon Z355 4,6-PW - NS Pro 950GH SCallaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300Odyssey Rossie 2TaylorMade TP5x
    edited Apr 28, 2019 12:29am #36

@c50sooner said:
    trackcoach, certainly agree it would correlate if you hold skill level relatively constant. If you let skill level vary wildly, the correlation between clubhead speed and handicap will vary wildly as well. For example, go to any college baseball team and measure all their clubhead speeds. You'll probably find a few low handicaps, however almost the whole team will have top percentile clubhead speeds, and their handicaps will be all over the map.

Handicap reflects skill does it not? Are you suggesting that their are 30 hdcps who have greats skill and 5 hdcps that have none? The studies I have seen all compare clubhead speed -vs- hdcp. Every time there has been great correlation of high speed = low handicap. Just step back and look at today's game on Tour.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff

@c50sooner said:

I think you are looking at this backwards... if you have two golfers of the same skill level and one swings the club 10 mph harder, he’s going to have a lower handicap.

• c50soonerc50sooner Members Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

I think we're in agreement, we're just talking about different things. I was just saying that if we tried, we could find plenty of people in the general golfing population capable of swinging a club really really fast that have terrible handicaps. As I re-read your abstract, I see they were studying people with registered handicaps, which implies a decent level of golfing skill and experience to go to the trouble of registering an official handicap, so I could definitely see in that sample set a strong correlation between swing speed and handicap. It is worth noting though that less than 20% of the golfing population actually has a registered handicap, so that study is leaving out over 80% of golfers.

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Aldila NK2V Green SCallaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi RCallaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black SSrixon Z355 4,6-PW - NS Pro 950GH SCallaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300Odyssey Rossie 2TaylorMade TP5x
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll probably look at the results as always but take them with a bag very big pinch maybe bag of salt.

Will their test change anything for me? No cause I have a metric ton of golf balls already that I enjoy using. Would I try what they rank as best? Maybe if it's way out of left field unexpected but if it doesn't fit what I like I won't play it.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@nsxguy said:

@rgk5 said:
    I am interested in their results from the Callaway ERC Soft. I played it last weekend and found it be short and dead feeling. Disappointing to say the least, but the lines were good for putting. ;)

I played the ERC Soft for about 4 or 5 rounds and didn't find it dead at all. Quite the opposite actually. And distance was excellent as well; almost as long as the AVX. I ended up back to the AVX because I didn't like the clicky feel, it seemed to release a bit too much on short irons shot to the green and it seemed a little too lively chipping.

Strangely(?) enough, although I have a terrible time trying to get a single line on a golf ball pointed correctly for putting, the 3 line system was a lot easier to do it, so I did use the 3 lines and it seemed to work pretty well.

I also found the ERC short and kind of dead off all my clubs.

Gil Leonard
  • mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What ball test? All I see is **** and I don't want to play the whole Sherlock Holmes game.

Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • Putterboy68Putterboy68 Cincinnati Ohio, A hidden golf mecca Members Posts: 23 ✭✭

Short hitter and single hdcp player here and I'm 150 lbs at 5'9" and 63 years old. I fly the ball around 205 and when it's dry, I hit the ball around 235 give or take 10 yards. I have tried the soft golf balls and other golf balls and I always go back to Titleist. ProV1 when it is dry and ProV1x when the ground is soft or hard.

• jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭

https://facebook.com/479497885413667/posts/2681664678530299/

Don't look now but the anticipation is building... DTC found to be the LONGEST ball!

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjfcpa said:

Don't look now but the anticipation is building... DTC found to be the LONGEST ball!

Darn, I went and looked. Sorry.

And since I don't know what DTC is, I guess MY anticipation isn't building, but thanks,,,,,, I guess,,,,,,, LOL

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭

@nsxguy said:

@jjfcpa said:

Darn, I went and looked. Sorry.

And since I don't know what DTC is, I guess MY anticipation isn't building, but thanks,,,,,, I guess,,,,,,, LOL

DTC = direct-to-consumer, such as, Snell, Vice, Cut, Pearl. Generally, these are all purchased online from the company selling them.

• MPSgolfsMPSgolfs Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Interested to see these results tomorrow. I'm thinking the Snell will come up smelling like roses. I was pretty impressed by both the MTB Black and the MTB X. They seemed really long with the driver.

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The testing site loves Snell. I’m betting the MTB-X will be the longest and CS the shortest.

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • Josh L.Josh L. Members Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭

They're really hyping this test. They've been dragging out the results for weeks now. I'm guessing the differences won't be massive between the top balls, should be interesting to see the results.

• rkelso184rkelso184 Members Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

@Josh L. said:
    They're really hyping this test. They've been dragging out the results for weeks now. I'm guessing the differences won't be massive between the top balls, should be interesting to see the results.

I feel there will be a huge disclaimer in the results that doesn't actually say "DISCLAIMER"

For example, several sections that read "our findings are based off our testers every individual is different, What works for us doesn't mean it will work for you etc" purely as they won't want to **** off the big dogs or cause issues

Hitting it straight is overrated! 

@Mahamilto said:
    People are grumbling about Mygolfespionage tests, but if you have looked at their results from the last several years of “most wanted” they haven’t shown any brands favoritism.

They also include all the data, even broken down into data by swing speed. The tests appear to be conducted with very little bias; a good number of golfers, with a variety of swing speeds, a large sample size of shots per offering, and they use a legitimate launch monitor for data collection.

As far as testing products goes, it’s actually pretty fair. I’m for sure interested in their results, and I have seen significant differences in the various tour ball offerings, so I’m looking forward to hard data.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Will I change balls? Maybe, maybe not. But if anything stands out it will for sure make me consider trying a sleeve of something for the first time, or giving another ball a harder look if I dismissed it after limited testing!

Agreed

• rkelso184rkelso184 Members Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

@trackcoach13 said:

@Mahamilto said:
    People are grumbling about Mygolfespionage tests, but if you have looked at their results from the last several years of “most wanted” they haven’t shown any brands favoritism.

They also include all the data, even broken down into data by swing speed. The tests appear to be conducted with very little bias; a good number of golfers, with a variety of swing speeds, a large sample size of shots per offering, and they use a legitimate launch monitor for data collection.

As far as testing products goes, it’s actually pretty fair. I’m for sure interested in their results, and I have seen significant differences in the various tour ball offerings, so I’m looking forward to hard data.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Will I change balls? Maybe, maybe not. But if anything stands out it will for sure make me consider trying a sleeve of something for the first time, or giving another ball a harder look if I dismissed it after limited testing!

Agreed

Yep this sums it up PERFECTLY under 24 hours now so will soon know

Hitting it straight is overrated! 

My guess is Snell MTB Black for longest off the tee and Chrome Soft for shortest off the tee.

• kiw1982kiw1982 Members Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mahamilto said:

Mostly agreed.
    But, I believe that they prefer Evnroll for sure. lol

Mizuno        ST-180 Driver w/KuroKage HBP 50 S+
    Taylormade  M6 3 Wood w/NV 2KXV Blue 75 S+
    Taylormade  P790 2 UDI w/KBS Tour FLT 120 S+
    Taylormade  P790 4-G Irons w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Mizuno        T7 56/10 Wedge w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Mizuno        S18 60/06 Wedge w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Odyssey      Arm Lock Double Wide Putter
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 29, 2019 3:07am #55

You could think that... until evnroll got dethroned this year.

And if they like evnroll... it’s probably because it’s a superior product. It’s been hands down the best flat stick I’ve ever games. The tech ACTUALLY WORKS. I’m not making more putts because Of magic!

They seem to test and publish aggregate data. Yes, there is aways bias in testing, but of all the online testing I’ve seen this has been the most scientific and least bias.

Almost every review site/YouTuber is a single person. **** uses multiple players over wide ranges of handicaps and swing speeds. Reality is this is the exact polar opposite of the hot list testing, or the opinion of one man on video.

Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 (C1 Setting, STD Fade)
    Titleist U510 1-iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 and 4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM3 60.07 - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour B X
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have nothing against their testing.

There just seems to be a vibe of being different for the sake of being different and and attitude to back that up.

Well we can call it passion for the game and give it a pass I guess.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@xxio said:

There just seems to be a vibe of being different for the sake of being different and and attitude to back that up.

Or call it a passion for page clicks.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 

@North Butte said:

@xxio said:

Isn't that kinda the whole point of the intertubes?

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@trackcoach13 said:

@North Butte said:

@xxio said:

Isn't that kinda the whole point of the intertubes?

Yes, exactly.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MattM97 said:
    I'll probably look at the results as always but take them with a bag very big pinch maybe bag of salt.

Will their test change anything for me? No cause I have a metric ton of golf balls already that I enjoy using. Would I try what they rank as best? Maybe if it's way out of left field unexpected but if it doesn't fit what I like I won't play it.

Everyone needs to read Matts first sentence over and over. There is absolutely nothing about this company's ball test that makes it the end all be all. It's just another ball test and that's pretty much it. It may help you or it may not.

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@North Texas said:

@MattM97 said:

Everyone needs to read Matts first sentence over and over. There is absolutely nothing about this company's ball test that makes it the end all be all. It's just another ball test and that's pretty much it. It may help you or it may not.

They'll probably say otherwise lol.

But I do that with every test or review. Like with a lot of ball testing a lot of guys don't like the 'click' most X balls give when hit and kinda rank it lower or how they dislike that. I just get all the info and specs I want/need from those tests and do my own or make my own guesses. With balls it's easy I buy a dozen or a sleeve to test out.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file