Need to increase lie angle or improve swing?

wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Apr 25, 2019 11:47pm in WRX Club Techs #1

With irons I consistently hit with toe down 1-2*. I also still lose my posture and am not real tall, so my hands are higher at impact than address.

Does losing posture cause hands to be high at impact? I am trying to fix this and may not want to bend club if this will fix it... Or is this from who knows what and I should just go ahead and get the lie right?

Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
Callawy Epic 5W 
Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
Cameron Futura 5W

Post edited by wmblake2000 on

Comments

• Adam CAdam C Members Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭

Standing up at impact if you will, can raise your hands up as your whole upper body is moving upward, however it should be noted that your hands do in fact rise up during the swing as you move from the shorter clubs into the longer ones and woods. Centrifugal force is pulling the club head away from you on the down swing and the result is your hands raise and arms extend creating something closer to a straight line between the shaft and your arms.

• Awainer1Awainer1 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭

losing posture would cause your hands to be lower at impact. You should be playing your irons upright.

• jakenlson0311jakenlson0311 Members Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

If your golf ball starts on your intended line you are fine. Most fitters that know what there doing won’t even bring a lie board out. If you start the ball where you want with good contact you will be better off then trying to chase a black mark in the center of lie tape.

Taylormade M5 Pro White 70x
    Taylormade M5 rocket Pro White 70x
    Taylormade P790 3 iron tour prototype
    Taylormade P730 4-pw $-taper 130x
    Taylormade MG 50 54
    Taylormade High toe 58
    Taylormade Spider tour Black.
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jakenlson0311 said:
    If your golf ball starts on your intended line you are fine. Most fitters that know what there doing won’t even bring a lie board out. If you start the ball where you want with good contact you will be better off then trying to chase a black mark in the center of lie tape.

Issue has been poor contact, unique to irons. Was on a gc quad with several different clubs, all showed toe down at impact, and one guy suggested this would contribute to slight fat shots even though my approach angles, bottom of arc were good.

Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Cameron Futura 5W

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 26, 2019 10:53am #6

How were those lie angle checked? If it was a lie board find another method. e.g. https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1355102/open-source-face-labels-for-lie-angle-diy-lie-angle-testing/p1

If they are off, you should get them adjusted. Swing changes take time and come slowly. You can always adjust them back as you do improve your swing and posture.

Post edited by Stuart_G on
  • SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

In true GolfWRX fashion... you are now totally confused and have no idea what to do!!!

Take some advise from a 20 year PGA professional... there is no shaft/lie/grip/club/etc. that will fix a major swing flaw that is "early extension" which is what you have described. Go see a good teacher/coach in your area and work on your swing before you begin changing lie on your clubs. Most players with early extension, which is about 80% of everyone I've ever worked with, is due to overly tight calf/hamstring/glutes and lack of mobility in hip flexors.

TITLEIST - VOKEY - SCOTTY CAMERON

TS3 9.5º - LinQ Purple 6F5     TS3 16.5º @ 15.75º - LinQ Purple 7F5     818 H2 21º @ 20º - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5

718 AP3 4 & 5 + AP2 6-P - DGTI AMT X100     SM7 50.12F   54.14F   60.12D @ 59º - WV125S

Futura 5.5M - GP Tour SNSR Contour Pro 104cc - 34.5"

@SAM_PGA said:
    In true GolfWRX fashion... you are now totally confused and have no idea what to do!!!

Take some advise from a 20 year PGA professional... there is no shaft/lie/grip/club/etc. that will fix a major swing flaw that is "early extension" which is what you have described. Go see a good teacher/coach in your area and work on your swing before you begin changing lie on your clubs. Most players with early extension, which is about 80% of everyone I've ever worked with, is due to overly tight calf/hamstring/glutes and lack of mobility in hip flexors.

I stretch these daily and am working with teaching pro (and improving). But this is the last hurdle. Haven’t solved it yet, but will if I can!

If ee is main reason why hands are higher I probably won’t change lie as I want that feedback. But if it’s not from this, I will...

Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Cameron Futura 5W

@Stuart_G said:
    How were those lie angle checked? If it was a lie board find another method. e.g. https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1355102/open-source-face-labels-for-lie-angle-diy-lie-angle-testing/p1

If they are off, you should get them adjusted. Swing changes take time and come slowly. You can always adjust them back as you do improve your swing and posture.

Stuart, I was one two different launch monitors (quad 4 but at two different places) swinging two different oem std lie clubs (pw 8i 6i). Almost 100% of data was 1-2* toe down.

Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Cameron Futura 5W

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wmblake2000 said:

@Stuart_G said:

Stuart, I was one two different launch monitors (quad 4 but at two different places) swinging two different oem std lie clubs (pw 8i 6i). Almost 100% of data was 1-2* toe down.

Good.

Although as far as using the lie angle as feedback - I wouldn't recommend it. That's not saying you have to get them adjusted, you really don't. It's just saying that there really is no right or wrong lie angle so you shouldn't shoot for any particular number on the LM. Use video to evaluate your posture through the swing - that's the only clear way to judge if you are progressing in your changes or not.

• BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post a video of your swing?

Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji