Need to increase lie angle or improve swing?

 wmblake2000 ·  
wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 766Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees
Joined:  edited Apr 25, 2019 in WRX Club Techs #1

With irons I consistently hit with toe down 1-2*. I also still lose my posture and am not real tall, so my hands are higher at impact than address.

Does losing posture cause hands to be high at impact? I am trying to fix this and may not want to bend club if this will fix it... Or is this from who knows what and I should just go ahead and get the lie right?

Posted:
Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
Callawy Epic 5W 
Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
Cameron Futura 5W



Post edited by wmblake2000 on
1

Comments

  • Adam CAdam C Members  829WRX Points: 440Handicap: 4Posts: 829 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #2

    Standing up at impact if you will, can raise your hands up as your whole upper body is moving upward, however it should be noted that your hands do in fact rise up during the swing as you move from the shorter clubs into the longer ones and woods. Centrifugal force is pulling the club head away from you on the down swing and the result is your hands raise and arms extend creating something closer to a straight line between the shaft and your arms.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Awainer1Awainer1 Members  932WRX Points: 109Posts: 932 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #3

    losing posture would cause your hands to be lower at impact. You should be playing your irons upright.

    Posted:
  • jakenlson0311jakenlson0311 Members  128WRX Points: 75Handicap: +.4Posts: 128 Fairways
    Joined:  #4

    If your golf ball starts on your intended line you are fine. Most fitters that know what there doing won’t even bring a lie board out. If you start the ball where you want with good contact you will be better off then trying to chase a black mark in the center of lie tape.

    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Pro White 70x
    Taylormade M5 rocket Pro White 70x
    Taylormade P790 3 iron tour prototype
    Taylormade P730 4-pw $-taper 130x
    Taylormade MG 50 54
    Taylormade High toe 58
    Taylormade Spider tour Black.
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 766Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5

    On -, @jakenlson0311 said:

    If your golf ball starts on your intended line you are fine. Most fitters that know what there doing won’t even bring a lie board out. If you start the ball where you want with good contact you will be better off then trying to chase a black mark in the center of lie tape.

    Issue has been poor contact, unique to irons. Was on a gc quad with several different clubs, all showed toe down at impact, and one guy suggested this would contribute to slight fat shots even though my approach angles, bottom of arc were good.

    Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W



  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25080WRX Points: 1,644Posts: 25,080 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 26, 2019 #6

    How were those lie angle checked? If it was a lie board find another method. e.g. https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1355102/open-source-face-labels-for-lie-angle-diy-lie-angle-testing/p1

    If they are off, you should get them adjusted. Swing changes take time and come slowly. You can always adjust them back as you do improve your swing and posture.

    Posted:
    Post edited by Stuart_G on
  • SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers  699WRX Points: 172Posts: 699 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #7

    In true GolfWRX fashion... you are now totally confused and have no idea what to do!!!

    Take some advise from a 20 year PGA professional... there is no shaft/lie/grip/club/etc. that will fix a major swing flaw that is "early extension" which is what you have described. Go see a good teacher/coach in your area and work on your swing before you begin changing lie on your clubs. Most players with early extension, which is about 80% of everyone I've ever worked with, is due to overly tight calf/hamstring/glutes and lack of mobility in hip flexors.

    Posted:



    TS3 9.5º - UST LinQ Purple 6X     TS3 16.5º - UST LinQ Purple 7X     818 H2 21º - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
    T200 #4-5 (1º Weak) & T100 #6-9 - AMT Tour White S300 HS1


    SM8 Raw     46.10F   50.12F @ 51º   56.12D   60.08M @ 61º - AMT Tour White S400      

     
    Special Select Newport 2 - 34"


  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 766Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @SAM_PGA said:

    In true GolfWRX fashion... you are now totally confused and have no idea what to do!!!

    Take some advise from a 20 year PGA professional... there is no shaft/lie/grip/club/etc. that will fix a major swing flaw that is "early extension" which is what you have described. Go see a good teacher/coach in your area and work on your swing before you begin changing lie on your clubs. Most players with early extension, which is about 80% of everyone I've ever worked with, is due to overly tight calf/hamstring/glutes and lack of mobility in hip flexors.

    I stretch these daily and am working with teaching pro (and improving). But this is the last hurdle. Haven’t solved it yet, but will if I can!

    If ee is main reason why hands are higher I probably won’t change lie as I want that feedback. But if it’s not from this, I will...

    Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W



  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 766Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #9

    On -, @Stuart_G said:

    How were those lie angle checked? If it was a lie board find another method. e.g. https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1355102/open-source-face-labels-for-lie-angle-diy-lie-angle-testing/p1

    If they are off, you should get them adjusted. Swing changes take time and come slowly. You can always adjust them back as you do improve your swing and posture.

    Stuart, I was one two different launch monitors (quad 4 but at two different places) swinging two different oem std lie clubs (pw 8i 6i). Almost 100% of data was 1-2* toe down.

    Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W



  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25080WRX Points: 1,644Posts: 25,080 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10

    On -, @wmblake2000 said:

    On -, @Stuart_G said:

    How were those lie angle checked? If it was a lie board find another method. e.g. https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1355102/open-source-face-labels-for-lie-angle-diy-lie-angle-testing/p1

    If they are off, you should get them adjusted. Swing changes take time and come slowly. You can always adjust them back as you do improve your swing and posture.

    Stuart, I was one two different launch monitors (quad 4 but at two different places) swinging two different oem std lie clubs (pw 8i 6i). Almost 100% of data was 1-2* toe down.

    Good.

    Although as far as using the lie angle as feedback - I wouldn't recommend it. That's not saying you have to get them adjusted, you really don't. It's just saying that there really is no right or wrong lie angle so you shouldn't shoot for any particular number on the LM. Use video to evaluate your posture through the swing - that's the only clear way to judge if you are progressing in your changes or not.

    Posted:
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members  1498WRX Points: 254Posts: 1,498 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #11

    Can you post a video of your swing?

    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70 S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP 69 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.