2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mallet vs Blade?

Kaexo

Personally, I prefer the look of blades. However, based on my swing mechanics, I've never been able to find a blade that works well, so I play a mallet. But, I don't think you can get any sexier than a slim and sleek blade.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I was a mallet user, didn't like the options out there, moved back to blades so far sticking with those. But I do want a "tour/players" mallet just something if I'm in a putting funk to go to but don't want a massive mallet. Will see what I find.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

> @MattM97 said:

> I was a mallet user, didn't like the options out there, moved back to blades so far sticking with those. But I do want a "tour/players" mallet just something if I'm in a putting funk to go to but don't want a massive mallet. Will see what I find.

I recently switched to the Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, which I find to be a perfect blend of blade and mallet; it is not too bulky, but weighted excellently. I highly recommend checking it out if you are looking for a mallet that isn't too big.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"

I still play both, Typically prefer the mallet, but will go back to my newport when the khombi S just isn't fitting my eye. Lately I've pulled out an older white hot tour Rossie with good results. Putting is a fickle b*****. It seems that when my putter faulters with the mallet, a few rounds with the blade fixes the ills with my stroke, and I'm back to the mallet.

There is a 6 page topic on another site that is pretty good. I've had my jdm taylormade spider for 10 years and nothing has kicked it out of the bag for long, but I have it cut down to 31" with heavier weights.

I putted really good in the golf galaxy with ping dale anser 2.0 slate but I dont know if I didnt give it enough time or what on the course but I sold it after a few rounds. I'm tempted by the evnroll er5 black, toulon Las Vegas and Atlanta, but am tired of blowing money. I have a spider x I just ordered weights for it and thought about cutting it from 34 to 33" and putting a pistol grip on it.

I wish a better fitting system was set up for putters, granted I haven't tried a SAM put lab. It would be great to have a system that told you which head, grip, length and neck you putted with.

I mean, really the putter is probably the most important club in the bag. Next year might be only putters for me as I'm pretty happy with the rest of the bag.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Only mallets here. I wish I putter better with a blade, but for whatever reason I don't. I've settled on a center shafted mallet with a ton of weight in the shaft.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

> @boycer11 said:

> There is a 6 page topic on another site that is pretty good. I've had my jdm taylormade spider for 10 years and nothing has kicked it out of the bag for long, but I have it cut down to 31" with heavier weights.

>

> I putted really good in the golf galaxy with ping dale anser 2.0 slate but I dont know if I didnt give it enough time or what on the course but I sold it after a few rounds. I'm tempted by the evnroll er5 black, toulon Las Vegas and Atlanta, but am tired of blowing money. I have a spider x I just ordered weights for it and thought about cutting it from 34 to 33" and putting a pistol grip on it.

>

> I wish a better fitting system was set up for putters, granted I haven't tried a SAM put lab. It would be great to have a system that told you which head, grip, length and neck you putted with.

>

> I mean, really the putter is probably the most important club in the bag. Next year might be only putters for me as I'm pretty happy with the rest of the bag.

To the extent you can, I highly recommend finding a place that has SAM put lab. I couldn't fix my swing, but going to a SAM put lab made it clear why I wasn't as accurate as I wanted: I needed a much lower loft and a more upright lie, and I needed more toe hang. Finding the putter that best fits my stroke, which is what the SAM put lab did for me, has made a big difference. It won't go so far as telling you exactly which head you need, but my results did recommend a larger grip due to the way my wrists rotate.

• Like 1

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @boycer11 said:

> > There is a 6 page topic on another site that is pretty good. I've had my jdm taylormade spider for 10 years and nothing has kicked it out of the bag for long, but I have it cut down to 31" with heavier weights.

> >

> > I putted really good in the golf galaxy with ping dale anser 2.0 slate but I dont know if I didnt give it enough time or what on the course but I sold it after a few rounds. I'm tempted by the evnroll er5 black, toulon Las Vegas and Atlanta, but am tired of blowing money. I have a spider x I just ordered weights for it and thought about cutting it from 34 to 33" and putting a pistol grip on it.

> >

> > I wish a better fitting system was set up for putters, granted I haven't tried a SAM put lab. It would be great to have a system that told you which head, grip, length and neck you putted with.

> >

> > I mean, really the putter is probably the most important club in the bag. Next year might be only putters for me as I'm pretty happy with the rest of the bag.

>

> To the extent you can, I highly recommend finding a place that has SAM put lab. I couldn't fix my swing, but going to a SAM put lab made it clear why I wasn't as accurate as I wanted: I needed a much lower loft and a more upright lie, and I needed more toe hang. Finding the putter that best fits my stroke, which is what the SAM put lab did for me, has made a big difference. It won't go so far as telling you exactly which head you need, but my results did recommend a larger grip due to the way my wrists rotate.

I will try to get one scheduled..

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @MattM97 said:

> > I was a mallet user, didn't like the options out there, moved back to blades so far sticking with those. But I do want a "tour/players" mallet just something if I'm in a putting funk to go to but don't want a massive mallet. Will see what I find.

>

> I recently switched to the Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, which I find to be a perfect blend of blade and mallet; it is not too bulky, but weighted excellently. I highly recommend checking it out if you are looking for a mallet that isn't too big.

Yeah I had a fang type putter, I really don't like Odyssey but I'm looking for a bit smaller, like a Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 if I can find one left handed or something similar shape wise.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Once someone gets their tempo and correct grip on MOI type mallet....I think its game over for the blade. I could very well go back to a blade but the larger mallets just breed so much more confidence for me no matter the length of putt

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @agoodmanmbk said:

> Once someone gets their tempo and correct grip on MOI type mallet....I think its game over for the blade. I could very well go back to a blade but the larger mallets just breed so much more confidence for me no matter the length of putt

I agree. Blade user through and through but picked up a 350g bat attack with short slant neck through the heroes program and man I couldn't feel better over 10 ft putts.

> @Kaexo said:

> > @agoodmanmbk said:

> > Once someone gets their tempo and correct grip on MOI type mallet....I think its game over for the blade. I could very well go back to a blade but the larger mallets just breed so much more confidence for me no matter the length of putt

>

> I agree. Blade user through and through but picked up a 350g bat attack with short slant neck through the heroes program and man I couldn't feel better over 10 ft putts.

Great choice in putter too!

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I'm a blade guy on the putter and I thought that my stroke was such that I needed a blade. I did a fitting at a very fine putter maker's retail gallery just north of San Diego last March. I was given a heel shafted mid mallet with lots of toe hang, a plumbing neck blade with mid toe hang, and a Fugly chunky mallet that was almost face balanced. On high-speed camera, it showed my stroke was the same with all three (bad tendencies and good). The fitter said it didn't matter what I played with...personal preference wins when it comes to putters. We then spend the rest of the fitting on set up tweaking my own putter to different specs...and lo and behold, the ball was rolling perfectly, end-over-end by the time we are done.

Moral of the long and boring story...find a putter that you LOVE and work on rolling the ball end-over-end with that putter. You might need it at a different length to get in the best set-up position...you might need it bent to a different lie angle...but a putter you love can be the best putter for you if it's fit properly and your fundamentals are solid.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

> @Zengolfer36 said:

> Ive always been a blade guy but lately Ive been trying to learn to love mallets because of all the technology thats in them and how much more forgiving they are. What I really struggle with is speed, I just cant seem to get a feel for it and seem to blow all my putts way past the hole.

I've tried a couple mallets over the last 15 years, the most recent being a Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E. Loved the concept behind it, but in practice, my results were spotty at best, tending towards brutal. My speed control was the biggest problem, it was shockingly bad.

Developed the same thing with my previous effort, a MacGregor-Bobby Grace M5K.

Like the theory, just doesn't work for me.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @MattM97 said:

> I was a mallet user, didn't like the options out there, moved back to blades so far sticking with those. But I do want a "tour/players" mallet just something if I'm in a putting funk to go to but don't want a massive mallet. Will see what I find.

You may want to look at the TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick. Very clean, classic looking but still a modern putter. I like it a lot.

> @Maximilian said:

> > @MattM97 said:

> > I was a mallet user, didn't like the options out there, moved back to blades so far sticking with those. But I do want a "tour/players" mallet just something if I'm in a putting funk to go to but don't want a massive mallet. Will see what I find.

> You may want to look at the TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick. Very clean, classic looking but still a modern putter. I like it a lot.

>

>

I do like the TP Collection from TM actually despite not being an insert guy I think that's one of the best inserts out there. But I actually acquired a mallet I was looking at which is the Argolf Avalon, just waiting for the seller to ship and I'll give it a try.

Granted the TP would be cheaper got a nice price on a fully milled putter is never bad.

Lefty - WITB Thread

I don’t know anything about “trends,” lol

I was always taught that whether one chooses a mallet or a blade depends on their individual stroke.

Key words...

“Individual stroke”

I never followed any “trends,” especially Tour trends, lmao?, when it came to my equipment, my swing or my game~

Only what worked best for me?

I went to a mallet/semi-mallet when I got quick or got a certain feeling that’s hard to describe however for me the trigger was mental cuz my normal confidence and singular dominant thought of “this is goin in” mindset was replaced by stroke thoughts, which for me, were death, lol.

That thought was “smooth tempo” and it had been ingrained in my subconscious with over a million practice putts over the decades so if it ever hit my conscious mind, as in when I was approaching the green, standing behind the ball going through my PSR or stepping into the box, I was cooked. You have to remember that as a +3.2 in the 90’s to a +2.8 my last year in the game(2013), “cooked” is relative, lol.

With a mallet/semi-mallet, I didn’t have to think, all I had to do was stroke the ball and everything would fall into place and when I was comfortable and my confidence where it should be, back to the blade I went.

All the Best to ya Brother?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > Ive always been a blade guy but lately Ive been trying to learn to love mallets because of all the technology thats in them and how much more forgiving they are. What I really struggle with is speed, I just cant seem to get a feel for it and seem to blow all my putts way past the hole.

>

>

> I've tried a couple mallets over the last 15 years, the most recent being a Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E. Loved the concept behind it, but in practice, my results were spotty at best, tending towards brutal. My speed control was the biggest problem, it was shockingly bad.

>

> Developed the same thing with my previous effort, a MacGregor-Bobby Grace M5K.

>

> Like the theory, just doesn't work for me.

Agree. On Saturday I put my mallet back in the bag and just couldnt putt worth a darn with it. It was easier to aim but I just had no feel for the speed with it. Needless to say, the blade went back in the bag and will stay there.

I tend to feel the most comfortable in the middle as well. Half mallets or wide body blades. Scotty Studio Select Squareback #1 really suits my eye right now.

WITB:

Ping G430 LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

Taylormade Stealth+ 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili Blue 70x

Callaway UW 19* - Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80X or

Srixon Zu85 20* - Fujikura Pro TS 95i X

Srixon ZX5/ZX7 MkII 4-PW - TT DG 120 x100

Cleveland RTX4 50* - TT DG 120 x100

Vokey SM9 56D, 60M - TT DG S400

Scotty Cameron Select Golo S

I picked up a Piretti Elite Savona 2, and indoor putting only thus far is looking to be a perfect compromise between a higher moi design and a blade for me. Highly recommend.

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie