What is coming soon. (Currently in validation phase 8/11)

Comments

• GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator  27126WRX Points: 468Posts: 27,126 Marshals

Posting this here as well

We were pushing to go live with new mobile and desktop theme next week but timelines aren’t matching up.

Current status:
    Development site is projected to be merged this week.
    Development and Staging will be done by next week.
    Staging is currently being projected to be pushed to production June 22.
    Roles, permissions, ranks, badges will be done by next week.

Feedback programming is underway but no eta yet.

Posted:
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
    BST AD Help
    If you have a general help question, post here:
    GolfWRX Website Help Desk
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hoselshot82hoselshot82 Major Winner WisconsinMembers  909WRX Points: 149Handicap: 5Posts: 909 Golden Tee

It’s june 15th.....where is the update, Gx?

Posted:
  • GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator  27126WRX Points: 468Posts: 27,126 Marshals

On -, @GolfBum82 said:

It’s june 15th.....where is the update, Gx?

Please read previous post? What isn’t clear?

Posted:
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    BST AD Help
  • born4golf77born4golf77 Members  1403WRX Points: 148Posts: 1,403 Platinum Tees

Golfwrx: everything is fine, you should love the new forum look. We have a great team helping us behind the scenes.

Also Golfwrx: we're going back to the old layout june15th, no June 22nd. Also can someone with technical know-how help us troubleshoot slow page loading.

WTH is going on here lately lol

Posted:
    Post edited by born4golf77 on

We won’t make the June 22nd date.

The sprints are from Wed to Tues and we will not have all code up in time for review and validation. Code for development and staging is going up this week which puts us into next.

We have had zero volunteers for slow page load so far.

Posted:
    BST AD Help
  • hoselshot82hoselshot82 Major Winner WisconsinMembers  909WRX Points: 149Handicap: 5Posts: 909 Golden Tee

I’ll volunteer

On -, @Gxgolfer said:

We won’t make the June 22nd date.

The sprints are from Wed to Tues and we will not have all code up in time for review and validation. Code for development and staging is going up this week which puts us into next.

We have had zero volunteers for slow page load so far.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers  651WRX Points: 302Handicap: leftyPosts: 651 Golden Tee

i know your just going to say post this issue else where or whatever but you do respond here. why do my posts need approval. wtf going on here

Posted:
  • cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers  651WRX Points: 302Handicap: leftyPosts: 651 Golden Tee

that went through and maybe this one?

edit- i’m at a loss

Posted:
  • Browns71213Browns71213 Members  591WRX Points: 56Posts: 591 Golden Tee

Hope it's a lot better than whatcha currently running with. I'm fine with change, almost all forums go through it at some point, but this has to be the worst transition ever. I've literally spent zero time here since I logged on that fateful day. Been off work for a few days and bored so I logged in to see what was goin on. Logging out now.

Posted:
    Calloway Big Bertha 460 9* Driver
    Cleveland HiBore XLS S 13* 3 Wood
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 33 16* Hybrid
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 44 19* Hybrid
    Original King Cobra Irons 4-SW
    Snake Eyes 58* Wedge
    Odyssey Versa #7H 35" Putter
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members  979WRX Points: 440Posts: 979 Golden Tee

20th anniversary of Tigers Open win at Pebble.

Posted:

• jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX  2743WRX Points: 499Posts: 2,743 ClubWRX

On -, @Gxgolfer

What is the latest stutus?

Are you guys going to make June rollout?

Posted:

Advertisement

The theme is in staging validation. Once it’s approved then we schedule go live. We are pushing for this week but more likely next.

Posted:
    BST AD Help

The theme is done. It is a big update and continues to go through validation on staging site. It will be pushed out when approved from staging to production. We don’t have screenshots as we are being questioned on some programming choices to achieve functions. We will continue to have incremental changes till then.

Posted:
    BST AD Help

The theme is done. It is a big update and continues to go through validation on staging site. It will be pushed out when approved from staging to production. We don’t have screenshots as we are being questioned on some programming choices to achieve functions. We will continue to have incremental changes till then.

Appreciate the update.

Surely you won't be able to help getting mad at me but I wish you could stop yourself what I'm going to say is in hopes it can help.

What I don't understand is why even announce we were going "live" in June? At the time it seemed like the clambering complaints had died down and most of us were just resigned to incremental changes with this being the "new normal"

Also why stick with the white? I know you can't do it but blue please. Also need a non eye fatigue option please. Or even let us set our own preferences, this actually is garish, nobody likes it and it seems like it would be a relatively easy change that probably isn't a house of cards with other coding.

Thanks for listening

On -, @Gxgolfer

Posted:

It would be highly redundant for me to address these issues and as I previously stated I will only give updates going forward.

Also as stated many times, place your individual request in the 2.0 forum. It will not be addressed in this thread.

If anything was “simple”, it would have been done already.

Posted:
    BST AD Help
  • AmpsAmps Members  102WRX Points: 29Posts: 102 Fairways

Edit. Deleted.

Posted:
    Post edited by Amps on

Advertisement

On -, @Gxgolfer

What is the latest stutus?

Are you guys going to make July rollout?

Posted:

On -, @Gxgolfer

Is the new skin rolling out soon?
    Posted:

It’s done but still in validation on dev. Once fully validated it will be released.

Here are some screenshots.

Posted:
    BST AD Help

Mobile

Posted:
    BST AD Help

looks pretty good. thank you.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ballpilotballpilot Members  79WRX Points: 45Posts: 79 Fairways

Looking much better, keep it going!

Posted:
  • Greg_BGreg_B Major Championship Fan Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMembers  403WRX Points: 111Posts: 403 Greens

So much white. Hope a dark mode is in the works if changing the white is a nonstarter. Hard to tell if the font is a bit larger on desktop versions but I sure hope so.

Posted:
  • Greg_BGreg_B Major Championship Fan Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMembers  403WRX Points: 111Posts: 403 Greens

I know this is all water under the bridge but I thought I would offer my perspective.
    I've been on various forums for a very long time. I was trying to determine a date but couldn't with any certainty, but probably 20+ years. Most of them evolved fairly quickly to a very similar format with similar tools, and usually didn't offer a lot of features beyond the basics. There was a familiarity to them and the old version of this site fell into that group. When I joined here in 2008 I felt at home pretty much right away and enjoyed it immediately.

I wasn't ever very active but would visit regularly. Unfortunately life got in the way and health issues ultimately meant I could not play golf any more, so my postings in equipment threads stopped. I would still pop into Tour Talk when majors happened to watch the mayhem that went on there.

This year I got 4 messages in my inbox on April 12 that I had been awarded badges and that a request to change my password had been received. I didn't do that but didn't suspect anything was up, though perhaps I should have. Only this weekend when I went to log in and couldn't did I realize the software had been changed to Vanilla.

It seems a lot of forums sites have gone through software changes recently. This is the 4th one I participate in that has done so lately. This is the second to go with Vanilla, while the other 2 went with Xenforo. All were disasters to a greater or lesser extent. I discovered that many were migrating from older VBulletin, PHPBB or SMF software that for whatever reason did not offer an upgrade path they liked. I also discovered an almost cultlike devotion to Xenforo, less so for Vanilla. It seemed odd.

The one other forum I belong to that went with Vanilla really messed up the implementation. I think they were asking it to do a lot of things that were unusual while also locking down some typical functions, which required a lot of customization. It has proven to be very flaky. Things often simply stop working without explanation and it has a lot of inconsistency in terms of how different browsers react to it, with some functions working in one but not the other. What I saw in looking for some info on Vanilla is that their wheelhouse seems to be internal corporate sites or specialized ones that do not necessarily attract huge volumes of posts or large user communities. The Vanilla forum I belong to has had occasional issues with response time and recently tried to use the company's new "Rich Editor" to fix it, which was another disaster and they ended up having to roll it back. It is still suffering from issues related to that debacle and seems unstable. I think they do some support in house but offload most of it to Vanilla. Whoever does it, getting things fixed is slow.

The forums I belong to that use Xenforo seemed to have a slightly easier time of transition but users still had a hard time. Xenforo is almost too configurable for the end user and so you are faced with a myriad of choices to make in your profile that determine how it behaves. It quickly becomes very complicated and confusing and is very different from most other forums software in that it offers things like showcases and the like which are more than just photo albums though how they work exactly I'm unsure. Xenforo is touting an experience that is much more social media-ish with an emphasis on "popular" posts and members who get the most likes or who are the most active. It seems like they are trying to compete with Facebook and other sites. If you are just visiting to find info or post questions it can get pretty frustrating, depending on how they configure it. It also uses a lot of hovering over icons and buttons to show you previews of what's there which likely is pretty complex from a programming POV and distracting to a user.

They all suffer from the same problem this site has - a desktop look that is far too bright and tough on the eyes with lots of wasted screen real estate. It seems that developers believe that white on pale gray or blue with gray text is the ideal scheme, which I find bizarre. One of the Xenforo sites does offer a dark mode which is a bit better but which brings its own set of problems - it's hard to see bold white text vs regular white text on a black background. I don't know why a readable scheme is suddenly so hard to do when other board software has done it for years. The other Xenforo site threw out all of the standard looks and developed one of their own which is more readable but which may or may not offer other challenges down the road with upgrades and the like.

One thing I do note is that the Vanilla site I visit doesn't use a mobile app but seems to respond well to a mobile browser. The Xenforo site has people struggling with Tapatalk and apparently the developers suggest that it doesn't need it or a mobile app and can also be responsive in a mobile browser, though I don't know how true that is since I haven't tried that.

All I can offer is sympathies to those trying to make this work because I know just how complicated this is. Under-promise and over-deliver is always good advice and I would suggest that for those responsible here too. I would be reluctant to say how great things are going to be at some future point because you don't know that for sure, and really can't until you try to achieve those things. The Xenforo forums are bad for that, touting all of the wonderful new things it can offer which in the end few people want or ultimately use, and which seems to irritate members when the basic functions are not as friendly as before.

Best of luck getting to a stable, happy place for Golfwrx.

Posted:
    Post edited by Greg_B on

On -, @Gxgolfer
    On -, @Greg B. thanks
    Posted:

• GeorgeHWBGeorgeHWB Members  2028WRX Points: 1,441Posts: 2,028 Platinum Tees

I sincerely hope this transition has been run by volunteers and you have not paid for this.

If you paid someone to do this. Wow.

Posted:
    Post edited by GeorgeHWB on
This discussion has been closed.